PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Assassins?

John Vaughan
09-07-2009, 04:36
Hey!
I recently read the Imperial Assassins Codex (it only took about 48 seconds), and became intrigued by them. Are they still good to use in a Space Marine army? Tactics-wise, what is advised?

Thanks for the pointers!

senorcardgage
09-07-2009, 06:04
Umm, as far as I know its not legal anymore. Sorry.

Oberst Viktor Morte
09-07-2009, 06:23
Codex: Assassins was consolidated into the Inquisitions codices when third edition came out. You have to use their new rules from in there, which aren't nearly as awesome.

John Vaughan
09-07-2009, 19:08
Were they legitimately removed from availability altogether, or is just assumed so because they are in the WH and DH books?

Triggerdog
09-07-2009, 19:19
Were they legitimately removed from availability altogether, or is just assumed so because they are in the WH and DH books?

Assassins are only availible to Witch Hunters and Deamon Hunters. Space MArines cannot take them unless they take an allied Inquisitor Lord as an HQ.

I recomend getting one or both of those Codicies so you can have the current and full rules.

Todosi
09-07-2009, 19:20
They were removed completely and superceded by the DH and WH codecies.

starlight
09-07-2009, 19:23
Generally you are expected to use the most current rules. In this case the most current rules for Imperial Assassins is contained in the WH/DH books.

*However*, if your opponent agrees, you can use rules from any edition. In much the same way as Deathworld Veteran Armies can only be fielded using the otherwise out of date Catachan Codex, there are aspects of the Assassins book which may be cool to play, but aren't represented in the new rules. If your opponent is cool with it, have a blast. :)

don_mondo
09-07-2009, 19:37

There was a 3rd ed C: DH FAQ that specifically stated that the Assassins codex was no longer valid.

Q. Does Codex: Daemonhunters supercede Codex: Assassins?
A. Yes. The only way to include an Assassin in (for example) an Imperial Guard army is to have an Inquisitorial allied contingent which includes one.

John Vaughan
10-07-2009, 16:00
Alright, sounds good then! I've always wanted an excuse to get some demon hunters!

starlight
10-07-2009, 16:26
There is the argument that 3rd Ed FAQs aren't valid anymore given that we're playing in 5th Ed...

And you only need to get an Inquisitor and basic Retinue (Inq Lords must have at least a min strength Ret) to access the Assassin.

laudarkul
10-07-2009, 16:41
OM Inquisitor Lord (45pts) requires 3-12 hencmen, OM Inquisitor (20 pts) require 0-6 henchmen.So for at least 20 pts you can choose an Assasin...

starlight
10-07-2009, 16:44
Except that you only get one Elites selection when using Allies (ie the Inq isn't the parent list) and that's your Assassin, thus you have to take the Inq Lord (costing you an HQ slot as well as the points)...

Some people think you can take an Elite Inquisitor from one of the WH/DH lists and the Assassin from the other...but you'll want to clear that with your opponent since many people see it as unsporting...

Murphy's law
10-07-2009, 17:51
I wouldn't call it unsporting since including an elites inquisitor is hardly gamebreaking.
I have a hard time believing that other people would...
I think hose people are unsporting, because there is nothing illegal about doing it.

starlight
10-07-2009, 18:35
Except that Inquisitors from one Ordo don't have control over the assets and resources of those from another Ordo, so it flies flagrantly in the face of the background. I recall GW saying it wasn't permitted, but we don't seem to have had any FAQs since then, so the *officialness* of that is unknown...

It's not simply a matter of the Elite Inq, but a matter of the cost savings vs the HQ *and* giving up and HQ slot vs an Elite one...

Lord Damocles
10-07-2009, 18:42
It's not at all legal according to the Witch Hunters FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180142_Witch_Hunters_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf):

Q. Can an Officio Assassinorum Operative or
Daemonhunter Deathcult Assassin be taken as
an ally in an army that only has a Witch Hunter
Inquisitor (or vice versa)?
A. Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters are
discrete types of Inquisitor. The Officio
Assassinorum Operative or Deathcult Assassin
may only be taken in an army that has an
Inquisitor from the same Codex.

starlight
10-07-2009, 18:57
Cool. Thanks for that. :)

SPYDER68
10-07-2009, 19:14
Are the Assasins different between the books or something ? never really payed much attention to them...

Not including the death cult assasins in that either.. the Vindicar type's

starlight
10-07-2009, 19:24
Between the WH and DH books, they are identical. The only difference is the Inquisitors you take to get them...

Bookwrak
10-07-2009, 19:26
No, they're exactly the same, but the Ally FOC limitations are there for a reason. Being able to play silly buggers by buying the cheap Inquisitor from one codex, so that you could slip around the requirements and restrictions and take the assassin from the other was judged to be less than kosher.

GW apparently didn't want to see the Callidus put in a regular appearance in almost all Imperial armies again.

Archangel_Ruined
10-07-2009, 22:16
They're still good. I'd recommend an Eversor, they're point and click weapons that'll find a worthwhile target in any army. I've knobbled more wraithlords, carnifexes and devestators with them than I care to rememeber, they're worth their points every time.

Illiterate Scribe
10-07-2009, 22:45
Except that Inquisitors from one Ordo don't have control over the assets and resources of those from another Ordo, so it flies flagrantly in the face of the background.

Uh, yeah, they do. Ordos aren't hard and fast divisions at all (if Kryptmann hears about an infestation of witches, he's not gonna be all 'not my problem' about it), and the Inquisition requisition anything they feel like. They normally associate with the tools of their Ordo, and so in practice they often are restricted to their own area, but theoretically the Rosette lets you grab anything except (I think) Custodians.

Archangel_Ruined
10-07-2009, 23:13
Not even the inquistition get to poke around the imperial palace.

Kildash
10-07-2009, 23:26

yeah... we get that... a good writer could make it happen though... a suspected corrupt high lord or something, or maybe some high mechanicus officer that works on the Golden Throne....

a basic inq? no... maybe an inquisitor lord? or DEFINATELY the inquisitor grand master of Sol System, if there is any.

Archangel_Ruined
10-07-2009, 23:30
I wouldn't think so, only the custodians are allowed anywhere near the emperor. Although throne maintenance isn't mentioned, maybe that's all the fabricator general of Mars actually does?

Bookwrak
11-07-2009, 01:17

You've obviously never read the Inquisition War trilogy. :p