PDA

View Full Version : DE Corsairs as RXB

gorenut
09-07-2009, 05:19
Just curious how all of you would feel if your opponent used Corsair models as Crossbow Warriors. I think we all know Corsairs' lackluster performance with HXBs.. but the models are so cool.. so i was thinking of simply slapping on a shield on the Corsair model and use it as a Warrior with RXB and shield. Ofcourse it'd be clear to the opponent because 1. I'll notify him what they are... and 2. the fact that I'm slapping on shields shows that they aren't normal Corsair units in the first place. You think I'd come across any serious problems with this?

Alcibiades
09-07-2009, 05:28
The model's the right size? There aren't any other Corsair models acting as any other units on the table?
Any opponent that has an issue with you proxying one unit with another given those two conditions isn't someone you want to be playing.

Condottiere
09-07-2009, 06:40
I would have no problems.

You could always differentiate more clearly with a suitable but interesting colour scheme.

Anardakil
09-07-2009, 07:29
I certainly wouldnt have a problem with it at all. I've seen it done :)

Bregalad
09-07-2009, 09:23
I refuse to use the DE warrior models, so I am forced to do the same (and buy some Gamezone warriors additionally).

Don't have the army book with me, but I can't believe that rules allow a 2 hand crossbow plus a shield. At least there are no warrior models allowing that.

Urgat
09-07-2009, 09:28
When I'm done with my CD, I'll go back to my dark elves, probably (either them or my OK, probably them though). I intend to use the current warrior's heads (have plenty of those, and I feel kindda like Bregalad regarding them) on corsair bodies, while removing those large collars, and doing something about the capes. Removing them is probably horribly difficult, but I can probably at least either smooth them so they're not scaly capes, or expend them to make some sort of mantle like the black guards have.

bork da basher
09-07-2009, 09:33
i'd have a problem with it, i'd march you to the nearest store make you buy then assemble and paint dozens of GW's crappy DE warriors/RXB's and only then would you be allowed to play....

er no actually it's fine.

Gazak Blacktoof
09-07-2009, 09:39
I don't think many people would have a problem with it.

You could always ask if you could swap the shield upgrade for a sea dragon cloak upgrade. You'll get +2 at range instead of +2 in combat, seems more than a fair deal for an opponent.

Vermin-thing
09-07-2009, 13:04
BLASPHEMER!!! I shalt smite thee!!! (biggest hypocrite ever) :D

I use HE archers as slaves, warriors as Clanrats, and Phoenix guard as Strom vermin. As long as you put some effort into converting the models so that they look somewhat like what your intending you'll be fine. Perhaps the answer is the paint job you give the warriors. (I mean corsairs)
Just paint them in the colors you would have painted the normal DE warriors.

Also there's some interesting metal shields available via the GW site, or bitz order.

loveless
09-07-2009, 13:24
Not a problem. I'm of the opinion that the shields alone should be enough to differentiate them. Obviously, it'd be nice to get rid of that Cloak, since it has rules, but that's a touch hard to do with Corsairs :p

In other words, go for it *nod*.

Angry Lawyer
09-07-2009, 14:15
If you're worried, swap the DE Corsair's handbow for a bigger crossbow from the warrior sprue. Assuming it's actually bigger.

-Angry Lawyer

gorenut
09-07-2009, 16:09
Thanks for the input guys. Now I won't feel so obligated using models I dislike. Seems like general consensus is that it's totally ok.

Count Zero
09-07-2009, 16:11
yeah i'd go fo it, RxP in 1 hand shield in the other. no need to worry about the cloaks being on the models. not all cloaks have some kind of in game effect anyhow.

they are great minis with less than great rules so it make sense to try and get them on the table somehow.

Bregalad
09-07-2009, 16:16
Can a normal crossbow be used with a shield? The warrior models don't, and in reality you need two arms to use a crossbow, too.

loveless
09-07-2009, 16:17
Can a normal crossbow be used with a shield? The warrior models don't, and in reality you need two arms to use a crossbow, too.

You could always try checking the Army Book, you know ;)

Gazak Blacktoof
09-07-2009, 16:22
Can a normal crossbow be used with a shield?

Yes they can, but of course dark elves don't have normal crossbows anyway. Warriors with repeater crossbows can have shields as an upgrade.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
09-07-2009, 19:06
I can't see why anyone would have an issue with it tbh.

As my army grows I'm planning to merge a Corsairs and Warriors box to make seemingly corsair armed Xbows just for the theme of my raider force that attaches itself to the main army. Reckon they will look pretty nice.

Bregalad
09-07-2009, 19:46
Don't have the army book with me, but I can't believe that rules allow a 2 hand crossbow plus a shield.

You could always try checking the Army Book, you know ;)
Erm... thanks ... I guess

As my army grows I'm planning to merge a Corsairs and Warriors box to make seemingly corsair armed Xbows just for the theme of my raider force that attaches itself to the main army. Reckon they will look pretty nice.
Better than armies with standard DE warriors for sure ;)

loveless
09-07-2009, 19:53
Erm... thanks ... I guess

You're welcome.
Almost 7 hours between posts - that gave you plenty of time to go look it up :p
You're usually so resourceful with model links that I assumed that resourcefulness would carry over into other aspects of the hobby.

szlachcic
09-07-2009, 20:02
I did a bunch of kit bashing to update my DE army. Currently I have Spearmen made with Corsair bodies and heads (mostly the helmeted ones) and have used the Spearmen arms, but I might try to drill the Corsair hands out and make my own spears. I keep the cloak as it fits the theme of my army just fine, and it is obvious that they are not normal Corsairs. For the crossbowmen I just use standard warriors and replace the heads with the non-helmeted Corsair heads. For charioteers I have a mix up of corsair and cold one knight bits which actually look pretty great if I may say so myself.

So no, I don't see a problem with this. As long as the weapons are correctly modeled, and you either informed your opponent what they are or it is obvious then there should be no problem

Morathi's Darkest Sin
09-07-2009, 20:04
Better than armies with standard DE warriors for sure ;)

Well I already have some of them, no way I'd handicap myself by not taking any intially. Although they will be apart of the City Guard army the raiding force is attached to, so I needed them anyways. :)