PDA

View Full Version : A reasonable chaos army

Dark Mesa
09-07-2009, 12:45
I've just started a new chaos army that im trying to keep at a reasonable price while still being a reasonably effective army.

The list I was thinking of is:

Exalted
Axe of Khorne, Shield, Chaos Steed

Sorcerer
2 Dispel Scrolls, Mark of Nurgle, Lvl2

12 Warriors
Full Command, Shields

12 Warriors
Full Command, Shields

5 Knights
Musician, Banner, Mark of Nurgle, Festering Shroud

5 Knights
Musician, Banner, Banner of Rage

5 Maurauder Horsemen
Musician, Throwing Spears

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

Total Pts: 1496

General tactics put the Exalted in the Banner of Rage Knights unit and the Sorcerer in one of the warrior units.
Warriors provide a solid centre with knights on either flank or both on one so can hopefully break through and sweep through the flank or rear.
Maurauders and warhounds for directing frenzied knights and general annoyance.

outbreak
10-07-2009, 03:10
I like it but i would change your sorcerors scroll for a book of secrets and power familiar, just me though i prefer offense to defense with my magic

Ascendant Valor
10-07-2009, 06:35
Hey guys. New here, but I don't want to get involved in a lengthy, boring introduction. So, on to the assistance!

I've just started a new chaos army that im trying to keep at a reasonable price while still being a reasonably effective army.

The list I was thinking of is:

Exalted
Axe of Khorne, Shield, Chaos Steed

Sorcerer
2 Dispel Scrolls, Mark of Nurgle, Lvl2

Definitely gonna have to agree with Outbreak here. With Warriors of Chaos' magic, it's "go big or go home." You're sinking a lot of points into a simple Scroll Caddy for what it's worth, and a single level2 Sorcerer in 2000pts is going to get left out in the cold (in terms of the never ending dispelling). At least with the setup Outbreak is saying, you'll get another spell and two extra power dice. Yowch!

12 Warriors
Full Command, Shields

12 Warriors
Full Command, Shields

Though Chaos Warriors are inherently beasty, they could use the support of a mark. However you get the points, these guys need the extra OOMPH in order to be worth their points. Otherwise, I recommend you at least give them Halberds for the +1S. That should make them more like a Can Opener than a meager speed bump with a sword-n-board; the ability to choose between hardcore damage output and hardcore defense is priceless!

5 Knights
Musician, Banner, Mark of Nurgle, Festering Shroud

Really think these knights need to drop a couple extra kills? They should do just fine without the banner, or with another one. Still, it has helped me weaken a few Characters in a challenge.

5 Knights
Musician, Banner, Banner of Rage

You'll need some Mark of Nurgle action here. It's almost guaranteed to please you, if you can find the points.

5 Maurauder Horsemen
Musician, Throwing Spears

Very solid. They can easily deny a flank, War Machine and Loner Character hunt. Plus it doesn't matter if they croak since they're so wondrously cheap.

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

You'll need these guys to cover anything with Frenzy, in all obviousness. Since they're fast cavalry, you should have no trouble free-forming them to ensure your Frenzied units don't go for a free ride!

Total Pts: 1496

General tactics put the Exalted in the Banner of Rage Knights unit and the Sorcerer in one of the warrior units.
Warriors provide a solid centre with knights on either flank or both on one so can hopefully break through and sweep through the flank or rear.
Maurauders and warhounds for directing frenzied knights and general annoyance.

There's my two cents worth.

I do like how your army is left Undivided (more or less). It's a different approach to Warriors of Chaos. Clearly I'm of the persuasion that everything in the army needs a Mark or some such thing, but don't let that rub off on you if it's not interesting to you. Balance is your theme, and you've attained it. Kudos!

Brother J
10-07-2009, 07:55
I actually agree with everything said by Ascendant. I think the only thing that I wouldn't agree on is the knights, and only because at 1500 I'd simply rather not take a second unit.

Banner of Rage + Mark of Nurgle = Auto-Win. 16 attacks at S5 from the Knights, 10 S4 from the horses. The horses tend to do more damage then my knights do sometimes, and I can't explain why....

The second unit of Knights could go towards something needed a bit more. More magic if you drop the Exalted, and depending on how many points you'll have left over, two spawn. (You'll more then likely have more points left over to boost some unit sizes or pick up a small unit of Forsaken, more hounds, or something else to screen your Warriors while getting into combat. Or enough points to mark up the warriors. Nurgle anyone?)

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, as each player has their own idea of how they're army should be run. All around it seems decent, godly in the Close Combat phase but a complete slouch in the magic phase. (Go big or go home is right.) I'm a big fan of Mark of Nurgle, and everything in my army that can have it and not suffer from it over another mark has it. (One unit of Knights, second unit of Knights has mark of khorne of course. Two units of warriors both have the mark, a nurgle sorc.)