PDA

View Full Version : Str 5/6 stone thrower?

Malorian
09-07-2009, 14:02
So I used a stone (grudge) thrower for the first time yesterday and I'm wondering if I should up the strength on it.

Dwarfs have a rune that adds +1 str per rune (usually on bolt throwers) which could be added to the grudge thrower, so it would be str 5(10 under the hole) with one of these runes or str 6 (10 under the hole) if I put two on. (I could actually add three but it would be a bit silly).

Since it ignores armor the only advantage would be the to wound roll, and as reference this upgrade is 25 points per rune.

So what do you think, is it worth it?

Witchblade
09-07-2009, 14:23
It uses a small template right? Then I'd only do it if I had the points left. I generally aim for the direct hit, because scatter hits tend to do nothing worth mentioning.

Keller
09-07-2009, 14:45
I definately think that 1 rune is worth while, making it S5. This allows a 2+ roll against most infantry and cavalry, with a 3+ against nearly all others. With the abundance of elves, undead, and men in my group, I wouldn't worry about bumping it to S6. The +2 S just isn't worth the +50 points when you could just get another thrower.

pcgamer72
09-07-2009, 15:10
I would seriously consider purchasing 1 upgrade, but I think the cost begins to outweigh the benefits after that. The first upgrade affects both T3 and T4 models, while the second affects only T4. Also, two Strength upgrades eliminates the possibility of adding a Rune of Burning and Accuracy (I believe Accuracy is the correct one... I'm not a Dwarf player though).

Malorian
09-07-2009, 18:04
I agree, str 5 should be enough.

I'll have to give it a try.

Von Wibble
09-07-2009, 18:56
The grudge thrower is a major reason for my hatred of dwarfs (yes I should reroll my personnal to hits vs short people..)

Give it +1S and reroll scatter. Yes I know that's 130pts and seems pricy.

But if your guessing is any good (ie you always roll to scatter from where you want, an assumptionm that shuld always apply to war machines) over half your shots will kill over 100pts worth of my high elves.

Ridiculously overpowered.

Malorian
09-07-2009, 22:08
Ridiculously overpowered.

And you haven't even started talking about the organ guns yet :p

Nathangonmad
09-07-2009, 22:15
And you haven't even started talking about the organ guns yet :p

What?!?! Artilary dice Strengh 5 armor piercing without rolling to hit for 120 odd points is perfectly balanced :)

EC15
10-07-2009, 00:55
Unless you play a lot of high elves (curse their dragon armor), I'd also recommend a rune of burning on it. 5 points to ensure that nothing can regen the wounds and makes it a terrible foe to things like treemen.

Keller
10-07-2009, 14:20
Unless you play a lot of high elves (curse their dragon armor), I'd also recommend a rune of burning on it. 5 points to ensure that nothing can regen the wounds and makes it a terrible foe to things like treemen.

Not to mention Deathstar Grave-guard units, Nurgle Demons, etc...

Jetty Smurf
13-07-2009, 14:31
What?!?! Artilary dice Strengh 5 armor piercing without rolling to hit for 120 odd points is perfectly balanced :)

I agree wholeheartedly...

But you know what's worse than an organ gun?

Nothing.... :cries:

Peril
13-07-2009, 16:47
Rune of Burning is a must take nowadays.

EvC
13-07-2009, 16:59
Indeed... last week I was fortunate enough to play against the only Dwarf player in the world with 4 warmachines and none of them had the Rune of Burning. I was of course using High Elves, and his non-flaming Grudge Thrower killed my Griffon, whilst his non-flaming Bolt Throwers killed some of my Dragon Princes. His non-flaming cannon was equally effective. Conveniently ;)