PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Grum Dragoneater

Malorian
09-07-2009, 18:02
The Tale of Grum Dragoneater

So with the Tale of Fantasy Painters starting next month, and my dwarfs looking to lose their plastic grey, I thought I would do a series of dwarf reports while I did it.

I don’t really have fluff for my dwarfs like I do for my vampires/orcs/wood elves. Kinda hard to attach interesting fluff to an army that is content sitting at home and defending their holds. I just like playing them because they conform to my defensive nature.

Game 1: The Beginning…

So this first game was against the local lizardmen opponent. I had faced him with my dwarfs before and had won and now he was looking for revenge.

My list was:

Dwarf lord w/ shield bearers, master rune of smiting, 2X rune of cleaving, shield
BSB Thane w/ master rune of gromil, rune of cleaving
Runesmith w/ master rune of balance, rune of spell breaking, shield

20 longbeards w/ FC, great weapons, rune of stoicism
24 warriors w/ banner, musician, shields
10 thunderers w/ shields
10 thunderers w/ shields

18 hammerers w/ full command, shield
2 bolt throwers w/ engineers
grudge thrower w/ rune of accuracy, rune of burning
cannon w/ rune of burning, engineer

organ gun
organ gun

Total: 2250

His list was:

Slann w/ BSB, stupidity banner, extra PD, know all spells (metal), enemy wizard losses all 6s, 2 power stones, banehead (my BSB), cupped hands

Lvl 2 skink priest w/ EotG, extra spell, rod of storm
Lvl 2 skink w/ blood statuette
Scarvet w/ jaguar charm, light armor, shield

20 spear saurus w/ FC
10 skirmishing skinks
10 skirmishing skinks

16 Temple guard w/ FC, and champ had sword of battle and enchanted shield
6 chameleon skinks
6 chameleon skinks

Salamander

The board was 6X4 and we each had a hill, there were woods on either flank, and some linear terrain spread around (but it never came into play).

He deployed from left to right: skinks w/ priest, salamander, temple guard w/ slann and scarvet, EotG, spear saurus, skinks.

I deployed from left to right in front of the hill: organ gun, hammerers w/ lord, long beards w/ BSB, warriors, organ gun. And on the hill: bolt thrower, thunderers, cannon, thunderers, bolt thrower. And on a higher level there was the grudge thrower w/ runepriest.

Then the chameleons scouted into the woods on either side and I won the roll for first turn and gave it to him (much to his surprise).

Pre-game thoughts: Just to get it out there, the reason I gave him first turn is that my organ guns and thunderers would have been out of range and lost a turn of shooting. The plan of this battle was to first eliminate the flanking skinks/salamander and then turn everything on his blocks before combat. I knew from before that my lord can take on that steg on his own but unfortunately he wasn’t setup across from it so I’d have to leave the hammers on their own against the temple guard if I did… there would be hard choices ahead…

Turn 1 LM:

Everything moves up with the skinks/salamander marching up and the chameleons stepping out. In the magic phase the EotG puts out the shield and I stop most of it although the left organ gun lost a few crew, my runespriest took a wound from the sniper metal spell, and then the scarvet used the charm to charge the left organgun. Looking back I should have scrolled it so I could shoot, but I figured the chameleons would finish it off anyway. Shooting phase only results in a dead organ crew on the right. In combat the scarvet easily kills the lone crewmen and overruns a bit (but not far enough).

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

No movement. The cannon hits the scarvet but only does 1 wound, so I finish him off with a bolt thrower. The grudge thrower scatters off the EotG, organ gun kills 5 chameleon skinks on the right and the last one passes panic, and other shooting only kills 1 temple guard and 1 spear saurus.

Turn 2 LM:

Left chameleons charge the left bolt thrower, and the lone chameleon on the right charges the organ gun. Skinks and salamander rush up the flanks and his blocks catch up to the steg. He puts the shield up and then I stop most of the offensive spells (he gets a couple rerolls and slann can reroll 1s) and then the slann miscasts and it’s ignored with cupped hands. No shooting. In combat the organ gun crew kill the lone chameleon and on the other side he wiffs his attacks and I kill 2 back and he holds.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

Left thrunderers reform to face the left woods (where the skinks and salamander are) in two ranks. Cannons stops short of the salamander and the grudge thrower scatters off the EotG again (damn useless rune of accuracy). The right organ gun kills 6 skinks and the pass panic, and other shooting goes into the blocks but only kills 3 spear saurus. In combat he wiffs his attacks again, I kill three back (!!!) and he breaks and I let him run off the table.

Turn 3 LM:

Left skinks charge the left bolt thrower and the right skinks charge the organ gun. The salamander moves in and the main line sets up to charge next turn. EotG puts up the shield and then in the magic phase it’s the usual deal with me stopping the worst of it and then he miscasts with the slann again but nothing happens. He then uses a power stone to cast spirit of the forge on my hammerers with irresistible force and kills 5 and the salamander spits fire on them to kill another 5.

*This really put a kink in my plans as now the hammerers wouldn’t be able to take on the temple guard.*

The left skinks kill a crew, I do nothing back and hold. The right skinks kill 1 and I kill 1 back and hold.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

The long beards move up in front of the EotG and the lord joins them, then the hammers reform to make a congo line to block the temple guard, and the warriors move up to block the spear saurus. In the shooing phase the cannon kills 2 handlers (rolled a 1 for the salamander), grudge thrower scatters off the EotG but I like it because it’s right in the middle of the temple guard and it kills 4. The thunderers fire at the salamander and kill the last hander and the salamander fails panic and runs away. Other shooting goes at the spear saurus but to no effect. In combat the left bolt thrower holds but the last crew of the organ gun is killed.

Turn 4 LM:

Temple guard charge the hammerers, EotG charges the long beards, and the spear saurus charge the warriors. The EotG does the laser beam and kills 3 warriors, 2 long beards, and 1 hammerer. Magic is mainly stopped with the help of a scroll but my long beards are -1 to everything. Right skinks shoot at my right bolt thrower to no effect. In combat my hammerer champ makes a challenge and actually kills his temple guard champ (!!!), the EotG kills 8 long beards and I fail to kill the priest but I hold, the warriors lose combat but hold, and the skink/bolt thrower combat is a no show and I hold.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

Left thunderers charge into the skinks fighting the bolt thrower and the right ones reform to be in two ranks and facing the skinks. In the shooting phase the grudge thrower hits the right skinks and kills them all. In combat I lose the hammerer champ and hold, my lord issues a challenge and kills the EotG three times over but the steg holds, warriors lose combat and hold, and I kill three skinks and he holds.

Turn 5 LM:

In the magic phase he kills 2 cannon crew and makes the long beards -1 to everything. He then miscasts again although all it does is remove all of the slann’s non-existing PD. In combat the hammerers and warriors hold (it’s looking very dicy for the warriors now), my lord targets the steg but it makes both 6+ saves (!!!) and then wounds my lord and holds, and the skinks kill of my bolt thrower crew and that combat ends in a draw.

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

Right thunderers move towards his spears. In combat my hammerers actually kill a temple guard and then hold, the lord does two wounds to the steg and takes one back and the steg holds, I kill some skinks and they hold, and the warriors finally break and are run down as the spear run into my thunderers.

Turn 6 LM:

In the magic phase he gets off spirit of the forge on my grudge thrower and it does nothing, and as usual my long beards are -1 to everything. In combat I lose a hammerer and hold, the lord fails to kill the steg and it holds, the skink priest is killed and the skinks hold, and amazingly not only does he not kill any thunderers but I kill a saurus and hold.

Turn 6 Dwarfs:

In combat my lord kills the steg, the hammerers hold, the skinks hold, and the thunderers do amazing things again and take no losses while killing a spear and hold.

Victory to the Dwarfs!

Post-game thoughts: That really didn’t go the way I wanted it. My mistake was being too aggressive with my organ guns (should have had them on the hill or between my blocks) and not setting up the thunderers to guard them. Speaking of thunderers with was the first game I played after I gave them shields and that 4+ save is what saved that right unit and made them my MVP of the game.

I might be playing this opponent again next week and if I do it looks like he is going to drop the magic defense to get more troops, but he is playing the DE player first and having no magic defense would be a BIG mistake. Who knows, maybe I’ll pull out my runelord and show him that dwarfs do have ‘magic’.

Thanks for reading.

lcfr
09-07-2009, 19:10
How does your grudgethrower generally fare? It's the one warmachine I have never purchased for dwarfs and never test-fielded, since it's scattershot nature (pun intended) makes me nervous. You must think it's worthwhile to run it in your list, obviously, but how often do you have games like these where it (at least to me) totally underperforms?

KHolbourn
09-07-2009, 19:42
Cheers for the report. Interesting to see a change from the vampire counts :)

As a player about to face off one of my friends Dwarves that he's recently acquired any advice about the formidable Dwarven artillery like those 'orrible Organ guns!

selone
09-07-2009, 21:30
Heya, thanks for the report. It's a bit short and so a little confusing but I think i get the jiist of it :) It's nice to see you play dwarfs, i think theres lots of background you can do them if you have an overall goal or direction for your forces to explain why they've left their hold.

Malorian
09-07-2009, 22:06
lcfr: This is the first time I used it. With the rune of accuracy (reroll scatter dice) it should be fairly accurate, but I'll have to give it a few mroe games and see. I'm currently playing with the idea of giving it the rune of penetration to make it str 5(10).

KHolbourn: Organ guns are very scary. Charge them with fast cav if you can, and if not then shoot them up and kill the crew. Standard anti-warmachine stuff really except since the infantry is so slow you can concentrate more firepower into the warmachines at first and deal with the infantry later.

Selone: I wish I could use the camera but my wife always needs it in Edmonton (450 km away). I'll see what kind of fluff I can put together. When I first got them I had an idea of them being on a death march because they lost their hold, so basically they are going to kill as much as they can to regain their honor and/or find a new hold... but we'll see.

selone
09-07-2009, 22:52
Ah no worries Mal I'm not clamouring for a camera, its just that things like "In combat he wiffs his attacks again, I kill three back (!!!) and he breaks and I let him run off the table" confuse a skim reader like myself.
Death hold sounds cool as could them being treasure hunters/expeditionaries etc, I do think theres a lot of richness to dwarf background other than just they're defending a hold :)

BTW I forgot to say you very much did the right thing to give them the first turn, I'd always give an organ gun, thunderer player the first turn. I've faced one organ gun on a few occasions and I didn't like it one bit :D

Golden Lion
10-07-2009, 10:51
Nice report Malorian! I think I read the bit '..and they hold' about 10 times in those last paragraphs hehe. Two 'stubborn' and tough armies.

Fluff would be nice, but it only works if you can imagine it all! Can't force you to think up of something.

Keep up the march.

happy_doctor
10-07-2009, 13:43
Thanks for the report, Malorian!

Dwarves are fun if you make them so, I'd suggest swapping some warmachines for some added maneuverability over the next few games! (however, I notice that your opponents usually take hard armies as well, so no harm done)

Looking forward to the next report, reading this one makes me miss my battle-reporting days... :)

SevenSins
11-07-2009, 14:09
death march seems like a nice idea. But even dwarves have to make new holds/mines whatever so many reasons for them to travel (or the old maguc gate trick)

nice rep as usual, and two 'stubborn' armies makes for much grinding.

Chaos Undecided
11-07-2009, 16:07
Thanks for the interesting report.

Looking at your list I think personally I'd be inclined towards more protective runes than you seem to favor especially with anti dwarf Slann floating around. Nice that your hammerers managed to hang on to the end I do wonder sometimes if Dwarf elites are worth the points.

silverstu
11-07-2009, 20:46
Hey Mal- great report with my favourate army. Background- what about a dwarf expansion? There are always expeditions to reclaim holds, settle grudges and take new ground. I reckon a grudge campaign to reclaim/gain honour could be a good one. A dwarf lord seeking to prove himself for kingship perhaps? Would explain the dwarfs travelling in search of different opponents.
Looking forward to the next installment[and see you on the ToP].

grumbaki
12-07-2009, 03:02
Enjoyed the report and I look forward to more. Some good ideas so far from the other posters on what fluff could be. Just to put another idea out there, Grum Dragoneater could be a lord looking for a lost relic of his clan. Or, to put in a better reason to fight so many armies, perhaps he made an oath to settle all the grudges in his clan's book of grudges?

Once Bitten
12-07-2009, 19:04
Glad to see you posting some dwarf batreps. My son is starting a dwarf army and needs to learn how to play them well. (and since I've never played them...)

I'd love to see you convert over to the video (slide show) style of batreps. ;) Thanks for the report.

Malorian
14-07-2009, 13:51
I'd love to see you convert over to the video (slide show) style of batreps. ;) Thanks for the report.

I would too but I just don't have the resources to do that now.

I work 450 km north of my wife and kids and they need the camera in case the kids do 'cute stuff', so unless I buy a second camera my reports won't even have pictures for a while...

w3rm
15-07-2009, 01:09
Need. More. Now. :D

Huge fan of your reports Malorion and now to see you've taken up yet another army! I'm looking forward to see these. Now you just need to pick up some of those lovely slayers!

Malorian
15-07-2009, 02:25
Tomorrow I'll be playing against a two steam tank empire army. I think I'll be ok but you never know when it comes to steam tanks...

Malorian
16-07-2009, 05:18
Game 2: Superior machines

Grum puffed on his pipe and looked around at his men. They had been marching all day but no one was complaining, such was the resolve of those he had picked out to join him in his quest.

Ah yes, the quest... Grum had once been the lord of a mighty hold but one thing always buged him: the book of grudges. So many grudges to avenge and yet there was never the possibility as no one ever dared to attack the heavily fortified hold. One day the dwarf lord rew tired of waiting and marched out determined to clear out a few pages of grudges, and so far he was on the right track.

They had defeated a lizardmen army and thus crossed off one of the grudges against them, but there were more... much more... and as rangers brought back reports of an empire up ahead it looked like it was time to return the favor for another grudge...

Ok so to explain what I'm doing with this tale, the goal is to get a win against each army. If an army beats me which I have previously beat then the grudge gets added one. So basially I keep going until I have a win with my last game against each army OR Grum Dragoneater dies. If he dies the tale ends.

So this game was against the local empire player who just got in a bunch of the new plastic steam tanks. He actually now has 5 (!!!) and is looking forward to a larger game in the future where he can use all of them. In the mean time this was a 2250 game where he ONLY used two.

My list: (Note I made a few swaps to get rune of penetrating on the grudge thrower.)

Dwarf lord w/ shield bearers, master rune of smiting, 2X rune of cleaving, shield

10 thunderers w/ shields
10 thunderers w/ shields

18 hammerers w/ full command, shield
grudge thrower w/ rune of accuracy, rune of penetrating
cannon

organ gun
organ gun

Total: 2250

His list(ish):

Lvl 4 mage w/ 2 power stones and a luck stone
Lvl 2 mage w/ rod of save dice
Lvl 2 mage w/ power stone
Priest w/ ring of volans
(All mages took heavens and the ring just had the reroll spell)

25 swordsmen w/ FC and 5 crossbowmen and 9 halberdiers
25 swordsmen w/ FC and 5 crossbowmen and 9 halberdiers
10 huntsmen w/ champ

Great cannon
Great cannon
Mortar

Steam tank
Steam tank

The board was 6X4 and as neither us us were going to be doing anything sneaky each side just had a 2 tiered hill in the back of the deployment zone.

He deployed from left to right: halberdiers, swordsmen w/ lord and priest, crossbowmen, stank, stank, crossbowmen, swordsmen w/ mage, halberdiers. On the hill were the warmachines and the other mage.

I deployed from left to right: longbeards, organ gun, hammerers w/ Grum, organ gun, warriors w/ BSB. On the hill were the thunderers (one unit had the rune priest) and the other warmachines.

The huntsmen just went on his left flank (at this point he wished he had put more terrain down), and he got first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: well the way I saw this game playing out was the stanks would rush me, I would deal with them, and then I would have to rush his other units to make up the points of being smashed by the warmachines all game. The grudge thrower with its D6 damage would be key in dealin with the stanks.

Turn 1 Empire:

Both stanks go for 5 steam points but the left one rolls a 6 and takes a wound. The right stank moves up 15 inches and huntsmen run up the flank (at this point I saw that he had no intention to move up those blocks meaning that a lot of my stuff would be out of range after I dealt with the stanks). In the magic phase he concentrated on the hammerers (each mage had a magic missile) and he kills a few. In the shooting phase the mortar scatters and both cannons hit the hammerers killing a few more and Grum fails one of his 'look out sir rolls' but he rolls a 1 to wound. One of the cannon balls also bounced into my cannon behind and destroyed it.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Hammerers move up a bit and the side block move up and wheel so that if they are charged Grum can counter. The canon crew move towards the huntsmen. In the shooting phase the grudge thrower misfires and can't shoot but a bolt thrower does 3 wounds to the close stank and an organ gun does another. The left organ gun fires on the huntsmen and kill 5 and they pass their panic test.

Turn 2 Empire:

The back stank makes 4 steam points and moves up but the close one goes for 3 and fails and takes a wound. In the magic phase he blasts more of my hammerers, and this continues in the shooting phase (although the mortar scatters again). The hammerers are at about half strength now.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

I have to check terror range and I see the hammerers are out (very nice that the terror range is the same as my charge range so I basically get to legally pre-measure) and the warriors pass. The longbeards move up to the left stank (formally the back stank) while the hammerers move up to the right stank (formally the close stank), the warriors move up, and the cannon crew keep moving towards the huntsmen. In the shooting phase the grudge thrower misfires again and both bolt throwers fail to wound the left stank. Luckily the organ guns and one unit of thunderers do a few wounds to the left one and thunderers do a wound to the right one.

Turn 3 Empire:

Left stank makes 3 steam points and slams into the longbeards but the right one fails and takes a wound. In the magic phase my hammerers take another beating (down to about 5 now) and in the shooting phase the mortar scatters (this whole time he has been after the warriors) and the cannons kill a few of them (he doesn't dare chance hitting his own stank by going after my lord). Other shooting kills a couple of the left thunderers. In combat the stank kills 5 longbeards and amazingly the champ does 2 wounds back. I win combat but the stank doesn't care.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Hammerers charge the stank and I lose 1 from stand and shoot. The warriors move up and the cannon crew move towards his huntmen again. Since I know I'm out of range my thunderers and organ guns move up. In the shooting phase I have to stop myself from screaming when my grudge thrower misfires AGAIN and this time blows up. The bolt throwers miss the blocks. In combat Grum Dragoneater tears apart the steam tank doing 6 wounds and then overrunning 4 inches up. The longbeards bring their stank down to 2 wounds.

Turn 4 Empire:

In a bold move the steam tank generates a steam point. Magic see my hammers brought down to only the standard bearer... and then the cannon fire... one hits Grum but rolls a 1 to wound, and the other misfires for the bounce and ends up short (thank god...). The mortar scatters but still hits and kills 2 warriors. Crossbowmen fire at the hammerers and kill the last hammerer and then actually also wound Grum. The huntsmen ill another thunderer. He then does something I wasn't to happy with. The turret on the steam tank points nearly backwards and then fires a steam blast into the longbeards so that the template is covering more. It doesn't kill anything but to me it was a, lets say, overly sneaky move. I then do a wound to the stank.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

The warriors move towards his right swordsmen and Grum joins them. I could have charged with my cannon crew but I had forgotten so they just moved to the huntsmen's side. In the shooting phase the right organ gun tries to take out the right halbrediers and missfires so it can't shoot but the other one wipes out the right crossbowen. A bolt thrower kills 3 of the right swordsmen and thunderers kill 3 huntsmen and they pass their panic. In combat I finish off the stank.

Turn 5 Empire:

Right swordsmen and halberdiers reform to better face the incoming warriors. In the magic phase the left thunderers lose a couple (down to 5) and between some magic missiles and the cannons he kills a few warriors (mortar scattered again).

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

Longbeards move into his quarter and warriors move up to his right swordsmen. In the shooting phase my right organ gun tries to take out his halberdiers again, missfires again, and this time blows up. The other one aims at a cannon and is out of range and thunderers wipe out the huntsmen. Bolt throwers kill 3 more swordsmen.

Turn 6 Empire:

Swordmen charge my warriors while the halberdiers flank charge. In the magic phase he makes it so they can reroll ones and the left thunderers lose 2 more and fail their panic. In the shooting phase he hits one of my bolt throwers but only does 2 wounds to it. In combat Grum makes a challenge with he wisely refuses and I send the champ to the back. He does no wounds to me, my BSB kills his mage and I kill enough swordsmen to make it a draw.

Turn 6 Dwarfs:

Thunderers rally. Grum moves to the side so he can attack the flanking halberdiers. In the shooting phase the organ gun wipes out the left crosbowmen and the bolt throwers miss the lone mage on the hill (yes he was alone this whole time but never was a priority). In combat his champ makes a challenge and my BSB kills him twice over. I lose 2 warriors but I kill 5 of the halberdiers and enough swordsmen to win by 4. The halberdiers break but the swordsmen hold.

We add up te points and I'm amazed to learn I won by 321 points, so a victory for the Dwarfs!

Grudges Avenged:
-Lizardmen
-Empire

Grum Dragoneater and his warriors finished off the rest of the swordsmen while the rest of the empire army fled. It had been a victory, but at a high price. Most of his warmachines were damaged or destroyed and he would have to have a long talk with his engineers about why the machines of the primative humans worked so much better than their 'master crafted' machines...

Post-game thoughts: I can't believe the bad luck I had with my warmachines... I mean really. I guess I should just be thankful that Grum wasn't killed and that the tale gets to go forward with another grudge crossed off the list.

After the game we came across a mistake I had made. I had thought longbeards were immune to psychology and thus didn't take tests from the stank, but I was wrong and they are only immune to panic. I did some fake rolls after the game and passed the one where I started the turn within 6 inches but failed the one where I was charged (making me feel like an absolute ****). My opponent was happy enough with how bad I felt about the mistake and we both agreed it wouldn't have really changed much as warmachines would have just finished off the stank anyway and they most likely would have rallied.

Soooo I'm thinking I need to free up 5 points to upgrade their double unit strength rune to the immune to fear and terror rune... or maybe not... usually they should be fine with the LD 10 of the lord, but as you saw here it doesn't always work... I'll have to give it some thought.

Anyway thank you for reading and please give me your thoughts on my list and what you think my chances will be against 5 steam tanks ;)

SevenSins
16-07-2009, 08:04
nice going and horrid luck with those machines. master crafted indeed ;)

silverstu
16-07-2009, 08:46
Good work Mal, very unlucky with those war machines- that stone thrower really hasn't done you any favours at all yet has it? Just curious- why thunderers over quarrellers?

Unicorn
16-07-2009, 10:40
nice reports as always :)

its always nice to see the stank(s) go down when they are beeing hammered :P

Warhammerrox
16-07-2009, 14:10
You only take Terror once in the game Mal... So where you took your fake after game LD tests it's a Terror test for the start of turn Terror radius check, after that it would have been Fear only from the WinTank charging you.

Good rep as usual.

Malorian
17-07-2009, 00:44
Good work Mal, very unlucky with those war machines- that stone thrower really hasn't done you any favours at all yet has it? Just curious- why thunderers over quarrellers?

You know I used to like quarrellers more due to the range, but I've been seeing more and more units with better armor saves and they just don't seem to cut it (plus the +1 to hit is great).

I may switch back to save some points...

Warhammerrox, good call. So I wold have hit on 6's and wouldn't have caused those two wounds, but still wouldn't have changed much in the end. Good to know :)

lcfr
20-07-2009, 21:45
Your GT failed you again! Dump it for something more reliable!

Ps. Grum Dragoneater=blessed by Valaya!

Arguleon-veq
20-07-2009, 23:34
Interesting BatRep Blog Mal, pretty harsh conditions for it ending though. The Lord dying? he isnt even really that durable.

How are you finding using them overall? I am running a Dwarf Blog at the minute too but im finding them really boring to use, I have taken Miners a Gyro and a Lone Slayer to allow me some movement and earlier combats but even with those I am still finding it a bit boring.

I also feel whenever I put my Dwarfs down that my back is against the wall, I just dont feel they can really compete even more so than my Orcs and Gobs and I havent even faced a powerful list with them yet. I remember you saying your record with your Dwarfs was one of your worst, so are you still finding that too?

Malorian
21-07-2009, 04:18
I'm giving the grudge thrower one last chance. At was at this point with my doom diver with orcs and then in the next game it killed two units of dragon princes ;)

Actually I was teaching a friend how to play today where he used my dwarfs and I used my orcs. The grudge thrower only killed 4 orcs... but Grum Dragoneater made a mess of Morko Orco... 4 hits, 1 wound, armor and ward failed, 5 wounds caused!!! God I love that 110 point magical weapon :D

Arquleon, I wound't say I find them boring, but I do find them limited and I totally agree that I feel my back i against the wall. The good thing however is that these tough little buggers can usually hold their own and puh through for the win.

My record with them was my worst ut they have been doing better lately ever since I dropped the rune lord for the dwarf lord and learned how to castle better. I miss using my miners but they are part of my 3K list (a fully ranked unit) so hopefully I'll get a chance to use them again soon.

Thanks for the comments.

Malorian
30-07-2009, 18:02
Game 3: Grum Cracks Some Deamon Skulls

It had taken a while but finally the war machines were repaired and Grum Dragoneater wason the move. They soon came upon from deamons attacking a village and the dwarf lord gave the command for battle stations.

The dwarfs have several grudges against deamons and it was about time to settle one of them.

I used the same list as last time. I had thought about changing it go with the story and remove some of my warmachines for troops but in the end decided that handicapping myself really wasn’t what I was going for. Although the way this game turned out I now wish I had.

Her list:

Lord of change
Herald of knorne
Lvl 1 herald of slaanesh
*Not sure on the gear for these guys*

20 bloodletters w/ full command
20 bloodletters w/ full command
20 deamonettes w/ full command

5 flesh hounds
8 seekers

6 flamers

The board was 6X4 and there were some woods in the left flank, some buildings on the right flank, and I had a hill in the back right of my deployment zone.

She deployed from left to right: seekers, hounds, deamonettes w/ herald, LoC behind building, bloodletters w/ herald, flamers, bloodletters.

I deployed from left to right in front of the hill: long beards, organ gun, hammers w/ Grum, organ gun, warriors w/ BSB and rune priest. The on the hill from left to right there was: bolt thrower, thunderers, cannon, thunderers, grudge thrower, bolt thrower.

She won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: I knew that she would be all over me and I wouldn’t have only 1 round of shooting before I got hit on the left, and only 2 before I was hit on the right, so I definitely would have rather had more troops. The plan was to engage on the left with the longbeards and hammerers and hopefully free up the hammerers in time to aid the warriors on the right, and of course blast the flying chicken with everything I had after ranks were reduced.

Turn 1 Deamons:

Everything moves up and LoC flies behind the flesh hounds. In the magic phase I fail to stop a flickering fire cast with a 4 (damn double 1s) and lose 2 crew from the left organ gun.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Longbeards move up to stop the fast cav from charging past them and the hammerers move up towards the deamonettes. In the shooting phase the cannon hits both the flesh hounds and the LoC but only does one wound to a hound, grudge thrower misfires and can’t shoot next turn either, the left organ gun kills 2 flesh hounds and the right one kills 2 flamers, a bolt thrower takes off 2 wounds from the LoC, and thunderers kill 2 seekers and take another wound off the LoC.

Turn 2 Deamons:

Seekers and flesh hounds charge the longbeards (three touching of each), deamonettes charge the hammerers, and LoC charged the left organ gun. The rest moves up. Magic is shut down. Flamers kill 1 organ gun crew. In combat the fact that my long beards are WS5 saves their butt and I only lose 3 and even though I don’t do any wounds back I win and 2 more hounds fade away. Grum makes a challenge which the unit champ accepts so I rack up 6 CR from that fight, win overall, and 5 deamonettes fade away. LoC easily wipes out the lone crewman and overruns into the right thunderers.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

I pass a bunch of terror tests but the cannon fails and the crew run off the table. The left thunderers wheel to face the right flank, and the warriors move back a wee bit. Shooting does a wound to a flamer and kills 3 blood letters from the left unit. In combat a couple more longbeards die, I win and she holds. Grum makes another challenge and slaughters the herald for a total of 7 CR and they crumble down to 4 deamonettes. The LoC kills 2 thunderers but with a rank, outnumber, and high ground I win and the LoC holds.

Turn 3 Deamons:

I get a double surprise by 1. the left blood letters not charging my warriors or organ gun, and 2. them hitting the flank of my hammers (really didn’t think they had LoS but they did). So they charge and the right blood letters move up to take on my warriors next turn. Magic is shut down and shooting kills another organ gun crew. In combat I again loss a couple of long beards but I finally kill the last flesh hound. Grum makes a challenge and slaughters the herald of khorne for 7 CR. After she kills some hammerers opponent tells me to make an insane break test but I remind her that 1. I’m immune to fear and terror, and 2. with the insane Cr from Grum I actually won combat! The deamonettes fade away and I turn the unit to face the bloodletters. The LoC kills 3 thunderers and I hold.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Warriors setup to take the charge. The grudge thrower hits the flamers but a few wards mean I kill nothing. Other shooting kills a few of the right bloodletters. In combat a couple longbeards and a seeker dies and she holds. Grum challenges the bloodletter unit champ and beats him up for 6 CR. I win combat and 5 fade away. The LoC kills nothing so I win but she holds.

Turn 4 Deamons:

The right bloodletters charge the warriors. Magic does nothing but the flamers destroy the organ gun leaving the lone crewmen behind. In combat the longbeards beat the seekers and they all fade away, and the hammerers beat the left bloodletters and they hold. The right bloodletters kill 5 warriors (ouch!) but the BSB and rune priest kill a few back and a couple fade away. The LoC finally beats the thunderers and chases them down and goes off the board edge.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

Longbeards reform to face the bloodletters and the lone crewman moves towards the flamers. Grudge thrower hits the flamers and kills one. In combat the hammer win but the bloodletters hold on, and the warriors win and five fade away.

Turn 5 Deamons:

The flamers charge my lone crewmen (I think she was hoping to overrun to get a better charge on a warmachine in the last turn) but I flee and get away. The LoC flies onto the board and lands behind the building (peeking out on the left side). Magic phase is shut down. In combat both bloodletters are beaten but they hold on.

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

Long beards move towards the LoC. Shooting fails to harm the LoC. In combat both blood letters are beaten and this time the left one fades away.

At this point she gives up.

Victory to the Dwarfs!

Grudges Avenged:
-Lizardmen
-Empire
-Deamons of chaos

As the last of the bloodletters in front of him faded back into the warp Grum Dragoneater took a moment to look around. There had been some loses but nothing major and as he commanded his hammerers to march towards the last of the deamons the greater deamon leading them sounded the retreat and they all faded away.

Another grudge was crossed off and the only question left was who was next?...

Post-game thoughts: What can I say, that 110 point weapon of Grum’s is amazing. Without a doubt he was my MVP of the game with all the CR he racked up from the challenges the deamons didn’t stand a chance. I mean seriously, when you are hit in the flank with a nearly fully ranked unit of bloodletters with a herald you should lose and yet I ended up winning by 3!!! That fight in particular really upset my opponent and I can’t blame her. I noticed there is a bloodthirster currently being painted so it won’t be long before she gets her revenge…

I had hoped to take on WoC or tomb kings at 3000 next since they were just finishing a game at that level, but both players were done for the night.

So once again thanks again for reading and tune in next time for the continuing tale of Grum Dragoneater.

Arguleon-veq
30-07-2009, 21:10
Nice report Mal and a very good win.

That sure is a nasty weapon, but I think it leaves your Lord very vulnerable. A couple of Buboes or Steal souls would be a real pain.

Seems to be working just fine for you though lol.

Look forward to r eading about the next grudge.

lcfr
30-07-2009, 22:22
It's a good thing Grum is walking around w/a doomsday weapon in his hand, but I second Arguleon's nervousness about how vulnerable he is. Then again, if we put things in perspective T5, 3W, 1+AS will go a long way, especially with 4 S6 D6 wound attacks. Once my beard gets longer maybe I'll try it.

Seems like your opponent was both a tad inexperienced and had a confused list, but the only language these DoC players understand is force! Keep stickin' it to em Mal!

stonetroll
30-07-2009, 22:35
Nice report Mal!

I wonder why that DoC player didn't just refuse your challenges? Would've made all the difference since you can't get overkill from RnF.

Kerill
31-07-2009, 04:16
Nice report Mal!

I wonder why that DoC player didn't just refuse your challenges? Would've made all the difference since you can't get overkill from RnF.

Just what I was thinking.

grumbaki
31-07-2009, 04:58
Good job on crossing daemons off the list. Take out the VC next and you'll have gotten the hardest ones out of the way. Though it'd be ironic if you take down lizard, daemons and vc, only to then lose to dogs of war. :D

SevenSins
31-07-2009, 10:58
Nice report Mal!

Because she plays demons, not skaven? ;)

nice rep as usual, Mal, doomsdayweapon indeed!

KHolbourn
31-07-2009, 12:31
Nice report Mal!

I didn't realise you got the CR from multi-wound hits. I though the combat res you generated = number of unsaved hits (before the wounds are multiplied).

Malorian
31-07-2009, 12:37
I didn't realise you got the CR from multi-wound hits. I though the combat res you generated = number of unsaved hits (before the wounds are multiplied).

You get CR for wounds caused, and in challenges this can go up to 5 over their actual wounds for overkill.

As for why she accepted the challenges:

-If the deamonette champ hadn't accepted Grum was touching the herald and would have killed her instead
-The deamonette herald then could have refused but I think she saw it as better than just sitting back and dying (I mistake in my view)
-The knorne herald accepted because I think she thought he could do some real damage to my lord
-Khorne champ accepted because at this point she just didn't care

Kerill
31-07-2009, 12:40

You are right, except in challenges where even if the model has 1 wound you can use items that double/do D3/D6 wounds to rack up lots of CR.

You can also potentially do this with KB against multi wound creatures and the recent FAQ's have made this more powerful.

Malorian
06-08-2009, 18:09
Game 4: Archaon’s personal guard

Reports started coming into Grum about a group of warriors nearby. After sending out the gyrocopter to ensure to accuracy of the report it was confirmed that yes the group was being led by none other than Archaon himself.

It appeared that he and his personal guard were on the move. Grum had no idea if it was to join up with another part of his army or if he was just out for a casual stroll and slaughter, but all that mattered was that the Book of Grudges was full of atrocities of the everchosen that needed to be avenged.

Commanding his mean to take up positions in the path of the Archaon’s march Grum Dragoneater took hold of his mighty axe and headed out.

So I was actually looking forward to a game against high elves, but my opponent wanted to try out his new warriors of chaos at 2500 so it looked like Grum would have to test his might against one of the toughest warriors had had ever met.

My list was:

23 warriors w/ banner, musician, shields
10 thunderers w/ shields
10 thunderers w/ shields

20 hammerers w/ full command, shield
cannon

organ gun
organ gun

His list:

Archaon
Lvl 2 Tz wizard on a disk

20 chaos warriors w/ full command

5 knights w/ lances and full command
5 knights w/ lances and full command

The board was 6X4 and when we placed down terrain it went like this:

-He puts a hill in the middle of one flank
-I put a large hill in the back of on of opposite corners
-He puts a forest in the other flank (in front of my hill)
-I put a large hill in the opposite corner
-He puts a tower beside his forest
-Both of us are done.

Now I understand what he was aiming at but I told him right off the bat that he had made a mistake. His thinking was to block LOS from my hills but at the same time he had put difficult terrain in the way of his slow blocks and in reality gave me a more defensive position.

Live and learn I guess.

He deployed from left to right: A warrior unit to sneak between the left board edge and the forest, the wizard behind the forest, warrior unit setup to go around the right of the tower, knights w/ Archaon and the other knights behind them, and finally the other warrior unit.

I deployed from left to right in front of the hill: 23 warriors w/ runesmith to meet the sneaky warriors, longbeards w/ BSB, organ gun, hammerers w/ lord, organ gun, 24 warriors. Then on the hill I had my other war machines and thunderers on the right side of the hill.

He won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: Mixed bag feelings about this one. On one side my warmachines are sure to tear his elite army to shreds but on the other hand even though I don’t know all of Archaon’s rules I know enough to know he’s a monster and could spell the end of Grum and thus his quest.

The plan was simply to blast the knights first and move up the warriors to take on Archaon, then turn on the warriors with the hammerers and flanking longbeards. His right warrior block wouldn’t get into combat for a while due to blocking combat so I had time to deal with them.

Turn 1 WoC:

Everything moves up with the wizard flying on top of the tower to get better LOS and hard cover. I fail to stop flickering fire but it only ends up to be str 2 and doesn’t do anything.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Left warriors move up towards the forest and wheel to face his sneaky warriors. The right warriors move up to be right in front of his knights while the hammerers and longbeards sweep around. In the shooting phase I hit Archaon in the head with the grudge thrower but he passed his look out sir, and between that and other shooting I wipe out his knights and kill two from the unit behind. An organ gun and both bolt throwers also spell the end of the wizard on the tower (had to use the bolt throwers in desperation after the organ gun failed to get the job done).

Turn 2 WoC:

Archaon and the knights behind dual charge the right warriors and the blocks move up. Magic phase is shut down. Archaon releases the deamon and kills a good number of dwarfs but also one of the knights. I lose by 1 and hold.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

Hammerers move up to take the charge from his center warriors while the longbeard setup to be ready to flank, and the left warriors wait to be charged. In the shooting phase my right organ gun blows up but I kill 8 warriors from both his left and center warriors. In combat Archaon kills more dwarfs and another knight and I lose by 2 and hold.

Turn 3 WoC:

Left warriors charge my left warriors, and the center warriors charge my hammerers. Right warriors keep move up (they had been deployed a bit farther back so they weren’t in charge range yet). He casts pandemonium with a pretty high result (14 I think) so I spell break it. In combat the left combat is full of wiffs and no wounds are done. He breaks and gets away but runs off the board doing it. Grum makes a challenge which his unit champ takes. I rack up a mere 4 CR from the combat and break and run his warriors down. Archaon kills only dwarfs this time, but not many, and thanks to the musician I win by one but both units hold.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

All three blocks turn and start heading towards his remaining forces. The right warriors lose 7 models from a direct grudge thrower hit and he gives up.

Victory to the Dwarfs!

Grudges avenged:
-Lizardmen
-Empire
-Deamons of chaos
-Warriors of chaos

The plan had been a complete success. Archaon’s personal guard were destroyed and now the everchosen was fighting franticly to avoid capture.

Grum gave the command to surround and take Archaon by force, and seeing him do so Archaon decided to give the field and fled.

He might have escaped but at least Grum Dragoneater could cross off another grudge.

Post-game thoughts: What a massacre. Warmachines against a super elite army with terrain heavily in my favor and an opponent who was playing his first game with his army. After the game we talked about it and he agreed that next time he’ll leave out Archaon until 3000+ because it just took too much out of his force.

Later on I checked the book and saw that my opponent had forgotten his sword ignored armor saves. This actually saved him as in that first round he rolled 5 ones and had to make 4 saves with his knights. So he only lost 1 when really all three should have been dead (meanwhile I was making my 5+ save like it was a 6+).

Almost seems like a worthless chapter in the tale, but don’t fear, there are three WoC players in my local group and more in my other one so I’m sure I’ll get another game (assuming Grum lives that long…). In the meantime I’ve made plans to have a 3K battle against high elves either next week or the following one.

Thanks for reading as always.

YTY
06-08-2009, 18:38
I'm surely following this, Malorian! Another great series of battle reports. :)

The reports are written well and the main streamline of the battles is easy to find. I find it sometimes hard to read reports without pics. You started your campaign pretty nicely with those 4 wins! BTW I've just started collecting Dwarfs so these reports are useful to read :p.

That Chaos list was however pretty weak. 3 blocks of 20 ranked warriors? No marks? No Marauder horsemen? Only 1 offensive mage in 2,5k? Also, knights definitely need marks and the lances are a waste. Paying 20 pts for an extra attack seems like a bad deal...

Keep posting these reports, I'm reading them all!

Malorian
06-08-2009, 19:01
No doubt that the chaos list was lame. This player basically collected WoC to have a cool army and not a competitive one, which is why I was looking forward to facing his high elves instead.

There is another local player that likes large blocks but at least has things in there to support them (and Kolek or whatever his name is), and then there is another which the typically nasty all mounted nurlge sniper list.

To tell the truth though, I think dwarfs have a pretty easy time with WoC... warmachines beat elite any day and that's basically what WoC is...

selone
06-08-2009, 19:06
You're right a dwarf army especially one with 6 war machines is the match of a WoC army. A one with 60 warriors sort of boggles the mind. Kudos to the guy he clearly plays for the fun of it and the background but he really stood no chance.
It says it all he gave up after 3 turns, I just hope he takes it in his stride and continues playing :)

Malorian
06-08-2009, 19:13
Oh don't worry about my opponent, he's no poor sport and doesn't care one way or the other if he wins or losses.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the fact he had a LotR game setup next he would have played me with his high elves right away.

Arguleon-veq
07-08-2009, 00:19
Nice win Mal.

I agree though, Dwarfs are great for taking on Warriors. My Warriors really struggled last time I had to take them on. I dont think Archaon doesnt work in smaller games though, I think he is quite brutal even in some 2,000 point lists.

Looking forward to that High Elf battle, thats a proper grudge match.

lcfr
07-08-2009, 01:55
Yikes! My WoC are taking on my friend's Wood Elves tomorrow now that I've helped him revise his list into an eagle heavy, flying guerilla list. If there are two armies WoC has a hard time with, it's Woodies and Dwarfs...the sheer maneuverability of the former and the firepower and toughness of the latter make it tough to pull off wins against these armies.

Archaon or not, it looks like your opponent had lost before the battle ever begun. Hopefully you'll get to go 6 turns with his High Elves in a more interesting match, but good win either way. Keep postin em!

MrDwhitey
07-08-2009, 09:52
To be fair, I can't really see you claiming the Grudge against Warriors of Chaos to be fulfilled yet. :D

Glorfindel
07-08-2009, 09:55
Nice battle reports so far Mal. I have one question though. Since you use a rune on your grudge thrower, doesn't it negate deamonic ward saves? Or am I wrong in the assumption that deamonic ward saves only count vs mundane weapons like those for forest spirits?

selone
07-08-2009, 10:43
Demonic ward saves work against magic attacks now.

Kerill
07-08-2009, 10:45
Nice report, archaon is a beast even at 2000 points. The issue was his huge blocks of warriors. Still dwarves are a tough matchup for WOC and no mistake- great anti magic and all those expensive units to shoot at.

Malorian
07-08-2009, 12:45
To be fair, I can't really see you claiming the Grudge against Warriors of Chaos to be fulfilled yet. :D

A complete and utter massacre... ya I think that's a good way to settle a grudge :evilgrin:

Glorfindel, as selone said the new deamon ward saves don't care if you're magical or not (damn it all...).

Glorfindel
09-08-2009, 08:01
I see, well I'll keep that in mind if I ever face those deamons. Gotta say that makes them awefully tough.

vinny t
09-08-2009, 20:09
Wow.... like its been said before, that army was not meant to fight against dwarves. Nice reports!

Malorian
10-08-2009, 18:43
Should be a busy week for Grum Dragoneater...

This wednesday I'll probably be going against high elves, and then on friday I had a game set up again bretonnia and vampire counts.

The games on friday will be very interesting as this is a player that has been playing a long time and has a lot of very different lists he could be playing, plus I've never played against him before.

He says that it may be a royal air force bret and magic spam VC so Grum better get that axe sharpened and ready ;)

AND BEST YET, since it will be in Edmonton I'll be able to bring the camera and take pictures :D

all_seeing_eye
11-08-2009, 01:50
Nice, looking forward to the pics. I have to say i'm looking forward to see how you deal with these next two armies.

lcfr
11-08-2009, 02:18
One of these days I have to get over to Alberta...the gaming out west is obviously better and in larger numbers than Ontario. How do you juggle Warhammer w/family and a full time job? I need to know the secret!

Malorian
11-08-2009, 03:37
One of these days I have to get over to Alberta...the gaming out west is obviously better and in larger numbers than Ontario. How do you juggle Warhammer w/family and a full time job? I need to know the secret!

The secret is to live 450 km away from your family so that playing warhammer is the only thing that keeps you sane and away from the drink...

Malorian
12-08-2009, 17:52
Battle 5: Chaos comes back…

With the campaign going better than expected Grum Dragoneater and his throng marched on more confident than ever, so when they came across another group of Chaos warriors they almost couldn’t keep smiles from their faces as they set up their war machines for another slaughter.

Grum did have some worries though… reports came in that his army was dedicated to Nurgle and that the winds of magic were strong with them... he had read tales of their power and how they could make a man strong as an ox fall to their knees and wither away like a month old fruit…

So this game was against my buddy’s warrior of chaos. I had the option of his empire or his WoC and since the last battle was a bit of a fluff I thought this would fit the tale better.

I used my regular 2250 list and his list was:

Lvl 4 nurgle sorcerer w/ barded steed, power stone, power familiar, crown of everlasting conquest, joined homunculus
Lvl 2 nurgle sorcerer w/ barded steed, skull of katam
Exalted hero w/ barded steed, flail, armor of damnation, favour of the gods

5 marauder horsemen w/ flails, light armor, FC
5 marauder horsemen w/ flails, light armor
5 marauder horsemen w/ flails, light armor
7 hounds
7 hounds
6 hounds

6 knights w/ full command, banner of rage
5 knights w/ full command, banner of wraith
5 knights w/ full command, blasted standard

The board was 6X4 and there was a hill in the back left of my deployment zone and a woods on the right, and in his deployment zone there was a woods on the left, a hill in the center, and a woods on the right.

He deployed from left to right: blasted knights w/ lord, horsemen, *woods*, FC horsemen, hounds (congoline), rage knights w/ exalted, hounds (congoline), horsemen w/ wraith knights behind w/ mage, hounds (congoline).

I deployed from left to right in front of the hill: warriors, organ gun, longbeards w/ BSB and rune priest hiding behind, organ gun, hammerers w/ lord hiding behind. Then on the hill I had: a bolt thrower, thunderers, cannon, and grudge thrower. The other bolt thrower I put behind the woods on the right peeking out.

I won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: I was really happy I got first turn and thus the ability to shoot those knights a bit more before they hit me. I was VERY worried about that damn nurgle sniper spell so I had my characters out of sight, behind the units. The plan was to hit the knights first and then turn on the rest, and in particular I wanted to kill a couple of rage knights (I knew they had it because they always do) so I could snipe the exalted. I was also glad to see the one unit of knights deployed behind as it meant I would only be hit by two units at first, and I felt sure my three blocks could handle it.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Grudge thrower kills 1 rage knight, and the cannon perfectly bounced to hit both the exalted and the lvl 2 mage. They both make their look out sir and I fail to wound the rage knight but kill a wraith knight. A bolt thrower hits the FC horsemen and kills 2. Panic is passed.

Turn 1 WoC:

Everything moves up although the hounds stay more behind and the Lvl 2 mage joins the rage knights. In the magic phase I scroll (rune) the nasty hit everything within 18 spell and pretty much shut down the rest.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

Seeing that the horsemen are looking to charge my organ guns I angle the warriors and long beards to block the left one, and Grum joins the hammerers. In the shooting phase the grudge thrower kills another rage knight and I hit the exalted with the cannon… but only do 1 wound (damn!). The left organ gun and bolt thrower kill 2 blasted knights, but the right organ gun misfires when firing at the rage knights and can’t shoot this turn or next. Thunderers kill some horsemen. Panic is passed.

This was bad, I hadn’t killed enough rage knights and now I knew it was up to Grum to save the day.

Turn 2 WoC:

Blasted knights and left horsemen charge the warriors, FC horsemen charge the right organ gun, rage knights charge the hammerers. In the magic phase the lvl 2 mage casts the hurt everything within 18 spell barely on a 12, I roll 6 dice to stop it and get 4 1s *slaps head* which was extra bad because my heros weren’t in units so they were hit individually. It actually didn’t turn out that bad though as it only killed 4 longbeards and a thunderer. Then the lord casts curse of the leper on my warriors. In the combat phase the blasted knights and horsemen kill 6 warriors and I hold. The FC horsemen kill an organ gun crew and I kill 1 back and hold. The exalted makes a challenge and after seeing he didn’t have the rune shield (no shield on model) I take the challenge with Grum… I then kick myself when I learn he has a flail that I didn’t notice. He does 2 wounds to Grum and thanks to that armor of damnation I fail to even hit him. The rest of the knights kill a bunch of hammers and I hold.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Longbeards charge the flank of the horsemen fighting my warriors, and BSB and runepriest join the left thunderers. In the shooting phase I wipe out the wraith knights as well as the right horsemen. Panics are passed. In combat the longbeards wipe out the horsemen and I end up winning that combat by 5. He rolls the dice and makes it with a 3 *sigh*. The FC horsemen kill another organ gun crew and I hold. No wounds are done in the challenge and I hold after more hammerers are killed. (Again I didn’t even hit thanks to that armor.)

Turn 3 WoC:

A hound unit charges the rear of the longbeards and the other hound units move in on the right to charge my thunderers and right bolt thrower later. Nothing really happens in the magic phase as he wants to keep that spell in play but then I use my dice to dispel it anyway. In combat his lord kills my longbeard champ 3 times over and I lose by 2 and hold. (The hounds in the back aren’t really mattering as the 2 CR they give for rank is equal to the two extra kills I’m getting on them.) The organ gun crew holds on. Again the challenge is a nothing as again my lord can’t hit, and after more hammerers are killed I hold.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

BSB charges the FC horsemen. In the shooting phase the grudge thrower misfires and can’t shoot next turn, but other wise everything that can goes into the hounds about to charge the bolt thrower and I bring it down to just 1 model that passes panic. The BSB kills all but 1 horsemen who then kills the last crew and it’s a draw since he is the banner bearer. (This REALLY hurt as he was suppose to overrun into the hounds flanking the longbeards). As more warriors and longbeards are killed I lose by 2 and the warriors hold but the longbeards break (who’s grumbling now?) and they are run down by the remaining 3 hounds. In the challenge my lord finally hits… only for him to make his 5+ save (damn damn damn). I hold again but the end is oh so close as I’m running out of hammerers…

Turn 4 WoC:

Hounds move to take the quarters other than the lone one that stands in front of my right bolt thrower. In the magic phase my warriors are turned into lepers. My BSB wiffs his attacks and even takes a wound in return but holds. The challenge is still a stalemate as I can’t hit but now my hammerers are all gone and the lord autobreaks and is ran down as the rage knight hit the thunderers, and the other thunderers (with rune priest) panic and flee. When the blasted knights beat the warriors and run them down they force the fleeing thunderers to flee again and off the table, although the knights stop conveniently in a nice line between my cannon and bolt thrower (hehehe).

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

At this point I’m basically screwed but I still have a few things I can do. The cannon grape shots the blasted knights… at str 2 and doesn’t do anything, and the left boltthrower misses… this is followed up by the right bolt thrower also missing. To redeem myself the organ gun turns on the blasted knights and kills nothing since it’s all saved. (So at this point I’m screwed and god hates me.) In combat the BSB kills the last horsemen and the thunderers are wiped out as the rage knights run into my grudge thrower.

Turn 5 WoC:

Hounds charge my BSB and the lone one charge the bolt thrower (for fun I’m sure). In the magic phase he gets the blast everything spell and kills a couple of crew but more importantly my BSB. In combat the grudge thrower is wiped out and they go off the board. The bolt thrower crew kill the lone hound.

Turn 6 Dwarfs:

Since the blasted knights didn’t move for some reason I do the same thing again and this time the str 8 grape shot kills his lord (hurray for personal victory).

Turn 6 WoC:

Magic kills off the last organ gun and the left bolt thrower is charge and wiped out by knights.

Victory to the Warriors of Chaos (massacre even!)

Grudges Avenged:
Lizardmen
Empire
Deamons of Chaos
Warriors of Chaos (must be re-avenged)

At the halls of Grum Dragoneater’s hold a gyrocopter rushed in and the engineer rushed to Olaf Hemmerich, the thane in charge.

“Grum’s army has been nearly wiped out and he has been captured and is being tortured by the warriors of chaos. We must save him!”

Olaf frowned. He know Grum well and for him to be captured must have taken a strong foe… The choice was hard: Olaf had never agreed with Grum’s idea for this campaign and now that he had lost the lives of so many men was it worth risking more… in the end the choice was obvious, Grum Dragoneater was of royal blood and must be saved no matter what.

“Gather another throng, we march out immediately!”

Post-game thoughts: We were both surprised with how that turned out. Both of us thought I would win and so to see me get massacred left us looking at the reasons why:

1. Warmachines didn’t kill enough knights before they hit.
2. The blasted knights w/ lord holding when they were at minus 5.
3. The cannon/dwarf lord’s inability to kill the exalted.
4. (Most importantly) Chaos knights are just killer in combat. They aren’t like normal knights where you survive the charge and then beat them back, turn after turn they are going to pump out those high strength attacks.

Overall I guess I should be happy that at least Grum survived (in my books getting run down doesn’t count as killed) and so the tale can continue. In my next game (should be high elves today) I won’t have Grum Dragoneater and will instead have Olaf Hemmerich as my lord. Then as long as I win I will have saved Grum and can use him again.

Thanks for reading (and cross your fingers for my next game).

selone
12-08-2009, 18:24
Now that's a better Woc army, still he was fortunate certainly to get the massacre. The break test on a -5 being past has got to be annoying.

Still kudos to your opponent he managed to win against a capable dwarf general with a well honed fighting machine :)

Oh and yeah chaos knights are rather saucy especially with frenzy.

Kerill
12-08-2009, 18:29
Shame about the loss Malorian, but I can't help feeling proud of those northmen at the same time ;)

SevenSins
12-08-2009, 21:57
a much tougher chaos list, tough on ol' Grum ;)

Malorian
12-08-2009, 22:07
For those that are wondering, this will be my 3K list:

Dwarf lord w/ great weapon, mro kragg the grim, ro fury, ro snorri, ro stone, 2X rune of iron

10 thunderers w/ shields
10 thunderers w/ shields
10 quarrellers
10 quarrellers

20 hammerers w/ full command, shield
cannon w/ rune of forging
20 miners w/ champ, banner, steamdrill

organ gun
organ gun

Total: 3000

I know it would be smarter to have the lord (Olaf) on shieldbearers, but I refuse on the grounds that only the general can have them and in the big picture of things that's Grum.

lcfr
13-08-2009, 02:33
Very characterful not to span Grum's runic setup on your 3k lord; after all, I doubt that what is more than likely Grimnir's third spare axe is manufactured in large quantities by runesmiths!

Can't believe the outcome of the game, I'm going to point to the GRUDGETHROWER yet again as a let-me-down warmachine, not to mention it's responsible for the thunderstorms yesterday, the wars in the Middle East, cancer...this machine is to blame for all the world's woes, what did you expect it would do for you?

Lots of dice went against when they really shouldn't have, and whiffing so many artillery shots was just bad luck too. You might have had a better chance deploying in a corner (preferably w/a hill) but maybe this wasn't possible given the setup of the board. Why don't you consider switching up the double OG for an OG/gyro from time to time?

We're all rootin for ya Olaf!

Malorian
13-08-2009, 12:54
The grudge thrower did ok... it killed a few knights before they hit my line (1 rage on turn 1, 1 rage on turn 2, and 2 wraith on turn 3). The problem we my first couple of guesses where just short so I only got 3 partials. Had I given it the second rune of penetrating it would have killed 2 more knights.

I used to go with the gyro but it just never seemed worth it. It really didn't slow down my opponent that much and warmachines would knock it out of the air in no time. Organ guns are also great for things with to hit modifiers (like the nurgle marks on these knights) but unfortunately one misfired as the worst time (just before the rage knights charged) so I was in big trouble.

Fluff update:

Olaf Hemmerick and his throng march on until they arrived at the Chaos camp... to find it was empty... All of the tents were knocked down, weapons were scattered, and more importantly the army they had been expecting to face was no where in sight.

In the center of the camp was a large alter of Nurgle and chained to the base of it was Grum Dragoneater.

"Cut him down. Bring some ale. Bring bandages." Olaf commanded.

Grum was in rough shape having obviously been beaten, but more noticably the skin on the right side of his face was green...

"Hey labs, what took you so long?" Grum said with a wink. "Now give me a torch and a dagger." The items were past to him along with the ones Olaf had ordered, and first Grum took a big swig from the ale flask, then he bit down on the dagger, and then using the torch be began burning the green areas of his skin. He even pulled back his armor to expose more green skin on his side. Once the damage had been done he tossed away the torch and poured the ale over the burnt flesh, biting extra hard on the dagger as he did so.

Finally the dwarf lord spat out the dagger, "Think they can turn me over to Nurgle do they. Not while I have strength in my hands."

"What happened?"

"Damn chickens took off as soon as they heard you coming. Guess they know how scary a dwarf can be when their lord is at stake eh boys? Now, lets set up camp, drink some beer, and go hunting. I can't wait to avenge this grudge..."

Sooooo I went to get the game in yesterday, you know the important fluff game where I free Grum before my big games on Friday, and no one would play me. The high elve player was 'busy' with work he had brought home with work and they other to people there refuses to play against me (on of which is the third chaos player).

After sitting around for two and a half hours hoping one of them would change their mind, and they didn't, I left and watched a movie (GI-Joe is great by the way).

So I had two choices, play my next game without Grum and just go from there (while trying to explain to my opponent why I'm switching lists inbetween games), or say if the enemy refuses to play me I take Grum without a fight. Obviously I went with the second option. It would have been a stretch to explain why when chaos captured Grum that I can free him by beating VC or Brets, and there was a Chaos player that turned me down.

Anyway the plan is still to have two games, with pictures, on Friday, and then the high elve player promiced he would play me next Wednesday.

danny7865
14-08-2009, 10:43
why on earth refuse to play someone........ Loving the fluff keep it up....

Malorian
15-08-2009, 21:03
Prepare for the end...

I played two games yesterday and the tale comes to a surprising ending...

Feel free to make your bets on what is able to take the mighty dwarf lord down once and for all.

danny7865
15-08-2009, 21:19
I cant help but think that he gets hit with a tebuchet and fails look out sir.......

vinny t
15-08-2009, 21:21
Skaven Slaves!!! Of course!!!

lcfr
16-08-2009, 03:34
High Elf Prince on Star Dragon.

What I'm just as interested to know, however, is...what happened to the Weapon, and when will you start a campaign to recover it?

stonetroll
16-08-2009, 22:48
Nice report Mal! Yours are one of the few pieces of fluff that I actually like to read so kudos for that.

However I think you made a mistake in the WoC game.

In Dwarf turn 1 you shot him and then you say "both Lookout Sir! tests are made". A character attached to a unit of 5 knights with full command does not get a Lookout Sir! roll as there are only 4 RnF troopers in there (Champion dosent count as RnF).

Anyway, nice report, looking forward to the next one!

Malorian
17-08-2009, 17:44
Game 6: Grum gets a stab at some vampires…

With Grum Dragoneater leading his new throng forward they soon came upon some undead attacking a village.

Sending scouts ahead to draw them away and towards their own position the orders went out to make their stand on a perfect hill just outside town.

My list was my regular 2250 and as best as I know this was his list (I’m sure he had more items/skills that never came up):

Lvl 4 vampire lord w/ Dreadknight, rod of flaming death, crown of damnation, forbidden lore (vampire)
Lvl 2 vampire w/ avatar of war (great weapon)
Lvl 2 vampire w/ avatar of war (great weapon)
Vanhels necromancer w/ black periapt on corpse cart

20 skeletons w/ full command
20 skeletons w/ full command
20 ghouls w/ ghast
Corpse cart

6 black knights w/ banner
6 black knights w/ banner

5 blood knights

The board was 6X4 and the only terrain that was important was my hill in my left corner, a woods in the left flank, and a hedge that connected the woods to the edge of the board. There was also a woods in my right side of the deployment zone.

He deployed from left to right: black knights behind the woods, necro cart, skeletons w/ vamp, ghouls w/ lord, cart, skeletons w/ vamp, black knights w/ blood knight behind.

I deployed from left to right in front of the hill: longbeards behind the woods, organ gun, hammerers w/ lord, organ gun, warriors w/ BSB. Then on the hill were the thunderers w/ runelord and the rest of the war machines except for a bolt thrower on the right flank.

I won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: Being up against vampires I really wanted to beat them and take them off the grudge list, because of this I played a bit more deviously than usual. The woods with the hedge line forced him line to go around it first and then move towards my hill making sure I wouldn’t be flanked. Although this was tempered by the fact his black knights could go right through it. I put that bolt thrower on the far flank as a distraction and to hopefully get a nice flank shot on some knights.

I really wasn’t sure what items he had so the plan was to shoot up the knights and then take on the vampires with my lord while flanking with my longbeards and stalling with the warriors.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Cannon kills 1 black knight and 1 blood knight on the right flank and other war machines kill 2 more of the right black knights.

Turn 1 Vampires:

Stupidity is passed (and always is). Line moves up with the black knights now in the left woods (but within 2 inches of the edge) and the carts falling back. He uses magic to vanhel up his blocks and I stop his attempt to magic missile my organ guns. A unit of zombies are raised to hold his left quarter.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

Longbeards move towards the left black knights to block them and the other two blocks move a bit up. In the shooting phase I wipe out the right black knights but only manage to kill 2 of the left ones.

Turn 2 Vampires:

He doesn’t charge with the black knights (I assume he’s simply forcing my longbeards to be on guard rather than being used to flank) and the rest moves up. In the magic phase I rune (scroll) curese of years on my warriors but let the skeletons vanhel up closer.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Hammers move up to the left skeleton unit and the warriors reform to not show their flank. In the shooting phase I kill 2 more of the black knights, 2 of the blood knights, and about half of the left skeletons.

Turn 3 Vampires:

Left skeletons charge my hammerers and the rest moves up. In the magic phase he heals up some skeletons and the blood knights. I fail to stop curse of years on my warriors and a few die. In combat my lord kills the vampire (2 wounds got through and I rolled 2 1s for the wounds caused…) and the unit crumbles down to 6.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

I turn my attention to the blocks and blood knights that are about to charge and completely wipe out all of the right skeletons leaving the vampire to stand on her own, and there is only 1 blood knight left. I fail to stop curse of years and a few more warriors die. The rest of the left skeletons crumble away.

Turn 4 Vampires:

The black knights hit the left flank of the hammerers while the ghouls hit their right flank, and the vampire and blood knight charge the warriors. Carts move up. In the magic phase he raises 2 blood knights and vanhels them so they can reroll to hit. The vampire makes a challenge and my BSB takes it and they do a wound to each other, otherwise I lose a handful of warriors but hold. Grum makes a challenge which his vampire lord accepts. He does a wound to Grum and I fail to wound him back. I kill some ghouls and hold.

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

Long beards charge the black knights in the rear. With almost everything in combat shooting aims at the necromancer and he and his cart are wiped out. In combat the longbeards kill the black knights, his lord does another wound to Grum, and I get a wound through on him but it only turns into 2. I win and he crumbles a bit. In the blood knight combat I actually mange to win thanks to the musician and the vampire crumbles along with a blood knight.

Turn 5 Vampires:

Vampire lord heals himself as well as a couple blood knights (rolled very well for 1 dice IoN). In combat Grum and the vampire lord can’t wound each other and I hold (longbeards are no longer in the combat), and my warriors hold after a handful are killed by blood knights.

Turn 6 Dwarfs:

Shooting wipes out the other cart. In combat Grum kills his lord and the ghouls crumble, but the blood knights beat and break the warriors and run them down while they run into some thunderers.

Turn 6 Vampires:

A few more ghouls crumble and the rest disappear in combat while the blood knights beat and break the thunderers and run off the board.

Victory to the Dwarfs!

Grudges avenged:
Lizardmen
Empire
Deamons of Chaos
Warriors of Chaos (must be re-avenged)
Vampire counts

Grum smiled as he looked across the battlefield and saw the rest of the vampire line crumble (apart for some knights that fled the field). Not only was another grudge to be crossed out from the book of grudges but also he had bested a mighty vampire lord in combat (something he would brag about later over drinks to be sure).

Post-game thoughts: I didn’t wipe out the bloodknights in time, and it hurt me, but overall it was a massacre. I have to admit I was being a bit cheesy with the terrain placement but nothing overly so (the woods were still 12 inches from the center as per the rules) and my opponent found it interesting rather than annoying.

The big factors in this game was my dwarf lords ability to eliminated any vampire in combat with him, my war machines thinning him down before he hit (was VERY impressed when ALL the right skeletons were wiped out), and me knowing the vampire book well enough to not be tricked in the magic phase.

Malorian
17-08-2009, 17:45
Game 7: Those are some pretty green Bretonnians…

Grum woke up and kicked his throng into action. Their last victory had been great and there had been much celebrating but there were still a book full of grudges to avenge and he wasn’t getting any younger.

Reports came in from his gyrocopters of a Bretonnian army marching to the East so they headed in their direction while Grum and his thanes worked on the battle plan. Once they were there however everything changed…

In the field before them dead knight lay everywhere… someone had gotten to them first and had made a mess of them… the question of who was quickly answered by a loud WAAAGH! And the sight of an orc army quickly closing in on them.

“Battle stations!!! Get those war machines on the hill! Form up! Lets send these green skins back to hell!”

So as you know I was suppose to play against the same opponent as last time but with his Bretonnians, but the shop was holding a card tournament so I let him go as there were a lot of other people to play against.

The player I faced next I had never faced before but I felt sorry for him. In the past I had seen him play WoC and now he was here with an orc list that looked fairly weak:

Warboss w/ akkrit axe, best boss ‘at, gnashas, on wyvern
Black orc BSB on foot
Lvl 2 orc shaman w/ best basha
Lvl 2 night goblin shaman w/ itty ring

25 orcs w/ FC and two choppas
20 savage orcs w/ FC and two choppas
35ish night goblins w/ FC and 3 fanatics

20 black orcs w/ full command and war banner
2 spear chukkas
Spear chukka
6 squig hoppers

Doom diver

Given all my war machines I said it was ok if he wanted to change his list, but he declined.

The board was 6X4 and there was a hill in my left deployment zone, a long hill running across the back of my deployment zone, woods on either flank, and he had a hill in either side of his deployment zone.

He deployed from left to right: squig hoppers, savage orcs w/ shaman, black orcs w/ BSB, night goblins w/ shaman, orcs, and the wyvern was behind the right woods. The warmachines were on his hills.

I deployed on the center hill going from left to right in front: longbeards w/ BSB, organ gun, hammerers w/ lord, organ gun, warriors w/ rune priest. Then on the hill: bolt thrower, cannon, thunderers, grudge thrower, thunderers, bolt thrower.

I won first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: I could have deployed in the same devious fashion as last game but decided to take it on the nose and have some more fun. The plan was to draw out the fanatics with my runepriest, kill the wyvern once it showed its face, and then basically beat his blocks to a pulp.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

Grudge thrower scatters off of black orcs and cannon hits and destroys the doom diver (hurray!). A bolt thrower kills 2 black orcs.

Turn 1 Orcs:

Savage orcs and squig hoppers squabble, and the rest of the line moves up with the wyvern flying over to the far right flank. Magic phase is shut down and spear chukkas miss.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

Rune priest leaves the unit and moves up towards his night goblins. Shooting at his wyvern is a bust as he is just out of range of the organ gun and so I only manage a wound on both it and the warboss.

Turn 2 Orcs:

Animosity does nothing. Wyvern charges the right bolt thrower, squig hoppers bounce up into the left woods, and the line moves up but hold back as to not release fanatics. In the magic phase I rune (scroll) his attempt to hit Grum with D6 str 10 hits and shut down the rest. Spears all fail to hit my rune priest. In combat the grudge thrower is wiped out and he overruns into the flank of the thunderers.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Warriors fail fear test and run towards his orcs. The rune priest moves up to draw out the fanatics and none of them go very far. The longbeards and hammers move up to engage. The grudge thrower scatters and the cannon over shoots, the left organ gun only kills 2 squip hoppers, and the rest kills some orcs and black orcs to reduce ranks. In combat the thunderers are beaten and the wyvern flies into the grudge thrower.

Turn 3 Orcs:

Animosity makes the right orcs squabble and make the night goblins charge forward landing on top of all three of their fanatics!!! 22 night goblins die but they manage to pass their panic test. They then charge the rune priest who flees and gets away and they decide not to redirect into the hammerers. The black orcs charge the long beards. In the magic phase the unthinkable happens as the orc god Mork (or possibly Gork) reaches down and crushes Grum Dragoneater… thus ending the campaign…

Screams of his war machine crew behind him pushed Grum Dragoneater even harder to spill the blood of the green skins in front of him. The anger was almost stopped by a smile when the foolish goblins ran into their own ball and chain swinging fanatics, but not quite…

Then something odd happened… the sky above them turned green and a massive arm reached down and grabbed him. Try as he might his magic axe just couldn’t harm the creature that held him, and when he started slamming him over and over into the mountainous hillside it didn’t take long before everything went to black…

The quest to avenge the grudges was over…

Summary of the rest of the game:

-My BSB kills his BSB but the tide is quickly turned as the squig hoppers hit the longbeard flank and after a few valiant rounds of combat they break
-Night goblins run away and the hammerers (reduced by spear chukkas) take a major pounding from the savage orcs that turn out to be big uns! After a couple rounds of combat I fail my stubborn break test and am run down.
-The warriors rally and beat and run down his two choppa orcs only to fail a panic test on the last turn from war machine losses
-The wyvern continues on wiping out my hill

Victory to the Orcs and the Tale of Grum Dragoneater comes to an end!

Post-game thoughts: I really have to give my opponent credit. Before the game I thought this would be a walk in the park and an easy win for Grum. He played his wyvern warboss perfectly and kicked my butt while he showed me the reason why orc (goblin) magic can be so dangerous, and how hard savage big un’s with two choppas and a combat mage can be…

I’m not sore, it was a really fun game with a lot of twists and unexpected events and even though my campaign is over I’m glad it’s to something memorable like this rather than to some bloodthirster that ignores my magic weapon.

Thanks for following along and hopefully next time I do something like this I can get a little bit further…

Arguleon-veq
17-08-2009, 18:03
Unlucky man, cool ending though. Dwarf Lords without a Ward are about the only decent target for that spell. I dont think I have ever hurt anything with it.

Nice win against the Vamps though, I think Vamps are one of the toughest tests for Dwarfs.

SevenSins
17-08-2009, 18:30
a fitting end to Grom i guess, killed by a god? that'll make even slayers jealous ;)

selone
17-08-2009, 19:57
Thanks not just for the battle reports but for the thread :)

Unicorn
18-08-2009, 06:39
I am keeping my fingers crossed for one of Grums clanmates to go out on a huntingquest for Grums legendary weapon and avange more grudges :)

Going out to a God, possible 2, is a god way, shows you are doing something right hehe :P

KHolbourn
18-08-2009, 12:51
Cheers for the campaign. Looked like a good game against the VC and nice to see them losing. And unlucky in the O&G game. Though it reads as if you undestimated him a fair bit...

Will this be a return back to the Lady of the Night now?

Malorian
18-08-2009, 13:55
I am keeping my fingers crossed for one of Grums clanmates to go out on a huntingquest for Grums legendary weapon and avange more grudges :)

Will this be a return back to the Lady of the Night now?

I'm currently trying to decide where I'll go from here... and the leader right now is an ogre kingdoms one.

Edit: It'll probably come back to dwarfs once I get more painted (and then take pictures).

selone
18-08-2009, 17:01
I'd very much like to see Ogre king's :)

Once Bitten
18-08-2009, 17:23
A great way to end a campaign! Fun batrep to read!!!

Now, if you'd only start making some video batreps... ;)

Malorian
18-08-2009, 21:59

One day... one day... ;)

stonetroll
19-08-2009, 00:49

Word on that! Or failing that, a couple of pics/diagrams would do nicely. :)

grumbaki
19-08-2009, 14:35
Amazing thread. Keeping your word on Grum made it all the more suspensful. The combat with the vampire lord was the best example of that. Also I have to say that it seems fitting that after you beat to a pulp Daemons, Lizardmen and Vampires you were finally bested by Orcs and Goblins. This flies in the face of the accepted wisdom that greenskins cannot compete and the newer books will steamroll everything. If there is one thing I've learned from your reports it is that a good general can win with any army book.

Great thread, I enjoyed the fluff and I look forward to the next campaign!

Tutore
20-08-2009, 08:09
Great bat reps. I wonder however why the savage orcs 'turned out' to be big uns'. Shouldn't your opponent say that at the very beginning of the game? I'm saying that as an O&G player.

Malorian
20-08-2009, 13:56
He should have said it while he was deploying... but he didn't...

Didn't matter anyway, by the time they got into combat things were pretty much over.

Dungeon_Lawyer
26-08-2009, 23:59
[B][U] In the magic phase the unthinkable happens as the orc god Mork (or possibly Gork) reaches down and crushes Grum Dragoneater… thus ending the campaign…

and the Tale of Grum Dragoneater comes to an end!

…:cries:

:D LOL This was a great thread to read Mal, I just spent the last hour going through it...I tip my hat to you. I like you fluffy campaigns....

---I gotta be truthful though-- I like how Grum died and how you described it (lol)-given that you admitted to underesitmating this list....

The greenskin player inside you secretly likes that it was a "soft" O&G list and not some ott Vamp or DoC list that laid the killing blow---:D

Malorian
27-08-2009, 04:05
The greenskin player inside you secretly likes that it was a "soft" O&G list and not some ott Vamp or DoC list that laid the killing blow---:D

You know what, I really do. Orcs are are arch enemy of the dwarfs and it's fitting (although unfortunate at the same time) that I lost to them.

I'm already thinking up my next campain with a rune lord searches for the axe of Grum Dragoneater, but that will have to wait until my ogre one ends.