PDA

View Full Version : question on DVD-boxes

sigur
08-05-2005, 14:50
Okay, I own 2 DVD-boxes and I'm in quite a dilemma: Which way ruond should I put them into the shelf? With the "backside" of the cardbox including nice artwork or logo facing me or the "front" side, so I can see the back sides of the single DVD covers?

Typical sunday-question, eh? :p

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2005, 14:57
You put them with the spine of the case facing outwards, just like books, or angle them so that you can see the front covers a bit.

What an unusual question

TG

Sgt John Keel
08-05-2005, 15:04
I think I'd put them with the spines of the DVD covers facing outwards. But if you put the DVD's the wrong way in, you wouldn't have a problem. :p

/Adrian

sigur
08-05-2005, 18:41
aah....it's called "the spine"... ;)

thanks for the clearification and suggestions ('cept for your last one, Sgt.Keel, consider yourself slapped for that :D ).

The Judge
08-05-2005, 20:20
Beware the Alien Quadrilogy and the SE LOTR boxes - they are not single DVD's, and have symbols on both sides. Which way round? Argh!

arxhon
08-05-2005, 21:38
You know....

You really have too much time on your hands. :p

Scythe
09-05-2005, 10:23
I've got my 3 DVD boxes all angled, so you see a bit of at least 2 sides. This takes up more space however, and it's still not a solution for the SE LOTR set and the orignal star wars trilogy set...

A spinning platform would be ideal... :D

Xhalax
09-05-2005, 11:24
Beware the Alien Quadrilogy and the SE LOTR boxes - they are not single DVD's, and have symbols on both sides.

True, but I still have them with the spines faceing outwards. It looks better than being able to see where you pull the DVDs out of the box.

Delicious Soy
09-05-2005, 11:27
Never mind that, try dealing with the trauma of having two different types of DVD box of one show my S4, S7, S8 and S9 boxes of The X-Files are different from the others, teh h0rr0rz!:p I don't know how I sleep at night.

Sai-Lauren
09-05-2005, 11:52
Never mind that, try dealing with the trauma of having two different types of DVD box of one show my S4, S7, S8 and S9 boxes of The X-Files are different from the others, teh h0rr0rz!:p I don't know how I sleep at night.
I know how you feel, Seasons 1-3 of Babylon 5 are differently packaged to 4,5 and Crusade, and the first UFO box set is different from the second. It's a terrible thing to behold :D

Still, at least all the Dr Who's are the same, for now at least.

Anyway, back to the original question, my personal feeling is cover out like a book, rather than disc case out so you can remove it without removing the cover. But what ever you find most asthetically pleasing.

On a (slightly) related note, has anyone else bought a DVD, got home and found the sales staff have left the little red clip in so the box won't open without spending half an hour with a razor saw and sidecutters to be able to get the disk out? I've had it happen twice.

salty
09-05-2005, 12:24
A spinning platform would be ideal... :D

Hehehe, I got me one of those :D

Just put 'em so that the spines face outwards. If you want to see the pretty pictures then take them off the shelf and look at them!

Salty :)

Scythe
09-05-2005, 12:35
Yeah, but people looking at your book shelf will only see the (sometimes boring) spine while they can't see the (usually nicer) front, which reduces the ' overall look' . And, like said, this is even more complicating with both a very nice front and back.

Ahh, problems... I think I can't sleep thinking about this tonight...... :D

salty
09-05-2005, 12:38
Yeah, but people looking at your book shelf will only see the (sometimes boring) spine while they can't see the (usually nicer) front, which reduces the ' overall look' . And, like said, this is even more complicating with both a very nice front and back.

Ahh, problems... I think I can't sleep thinking about this tonight...... :D

lol, some people...

Does it really matter? Or are all your DVD's facing out front first?

Salty :)

m1s1n
09-05-2005, 15:25
The "Total Recall" SE first came out in a little round Mars-shaped tin, which made it impossible to store it on a standard shelf. Additionally the "Book of the Dead" Edition of "Evil Dead" required a special plastic casing to protect its rubbery surface from damage. Sometimes I wonder if the aesthetics of the cases really help--or if they simply are an inconvenience.

Always store your DVDs spine out, otherwise you run out of room when your collection gets too big.

Adept
09-05-2005, 15:34
Always store your DVDs spine out, otherwise you run out of room when your collection gets too big.

Indeed. When I started my collection, I liked to display them so they looked nice. Now I just like to be able to see what movie it is without having to take it off the shelf.

As the proud owner of nigh on 200 DVDs I'm almost up to my second DVD carousel.

(Evil)Ash
09-05-2005, 16:35
My 'book of the dead' and hellraiser 1-3 lament configuration (the puzzelbox thingy) are displayed, the rest is just shelved like you’d shelve books. Though I'm out of shelves so at the moment they're just piles :rolleyes:

And if you’ve figured out you problem I might have another problem for you :D I've got a list of my DVDs (for my cds aswell) made in excel, just so that I know what I have and if I lend stuff out I can keep track of them (and so don't forget to get them back). But if you put them in alphabetical order it's hard to keep sequels baring a different name then the original together (without giving the another name): eg. Evil dead 3 is actually called Army of Darkness and the four Alien movies go completely out of order :( but atleast it can fill your Sundays :D

greetz,