PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 2000 point Orc and Goblin list.

Freman Bloodglaive
10-07-2009, 06:35
I'm thinking about starting an Orc and Goblin army (or an Empire army, I won't lie, I'm torn) and rather than spend a lot of money buying random models (my 40k tactic) I thought I'd create an effective army and then buy the models.

Here's my proposed list. The essence is that of a Orc and Goblin army, not variants like Savage/Black Orcs or Night/Forest Goblins. They'll be the legendary White Orcs of the Northern Mountains (very pale green up to pure white colouration). I've invested a few points in magic protection because I know that some races are decidedly overpowered in the magic phase while these guys aren't.

Orc Warboss-237 points
-light armour
-boar
-Martog's Best Basha
-Enchanted Shield
-Warboss Um's Best Boss 'At
-Bigged's Kicken' Boots

Orc Big Boss-163 points
-light armour
-boar
-battle standard bearer
-Mork's Spirit Totem

Goblin Big Boss-129 points
-light armour
-shield
-wolf
-Wollopa's One Hit Wunda
-Brimstone Bauble

Goblin Shaman-105 points
-Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Heroes-634 points

2 x Goblin Spear Chukka-70 points

Special-140 points

Goblin Doom Diver-80 points

Rare-160 points

5 Goblin Wolf Riders-71 points
-short bows
-musician

-short bows
-musician

30 Goblins-140 points (Goblin Big Boss and Shaman go here)
-shields
-Goblin Boss
-standard bearer
-musician

18 Orc Boyz-174 points (General goes here)
-additional choppa
-shield
-Orc Boss
-standard bearer
-musician

24 Orc Boyz-222 points (BSB goes here)
-additional choppa
-shield
-Orc Boss
-standard bearer
-musician

18 Orc Big Unz-271 points
-additional choppa
-shield
-Orc Boss
-standard bearer
-musician
-War Banner

949 points

So far it's at 1883 points, how is it looking so far and are there any recommendations for the remaining 117 points.

Of course if you want to convince me to play Empire, feel free too. My previous army was Dogs of War (although I never finished my army before they were written out of the game) and I like humans. To be honest the only armies that appeal to me are Orcs, Empire and Dwarves. The rest of the armies seem to be horribly broken (maybe with the exception of Skaven and Bretonians).

rtunian
10-07-2009, 12:46
imo goblin sham should definitely go on chariot, perhaps bigboss as well (instead of wolf). otherwise i would fill the specials requirement, probably with chariots since you don't want night goblin, savage, or black orc units.

otherwise... you are wasting alot of points. you have superfluous equipment and command on all three of your orc boy blocks.

first, orc bosses are horrifically overpriced, and should only be taken to protect a shaman or bsb from a challenge.

second, while it's a good idea to put shields on small expensive units like black orcs and boar boyz, it's not as good an idea to put shields on large cheap (per model) units like choppa boyz. small expensive units benefit alot from 1 extra point of armor save against shooting, but it becomes inefficient for larger units of cheap models. (you do know you can't use shields and extra hand weapon at the same time right? you have to choose at the start of each combat and use it for the whole combat)

i would put your general in the biguns unit, drop the choppas on the bsb's unit and drop the shields from the other unit, and divide it other into 2 12's w/choppa & music (using some of the 66 points you save from dropped shields/choppas to get 6 more choppa boyz and another musician). this leaves you with a biguns unit that has extra choppa and shield, a large bsb shield boy block, and 2 small choppa boy blocks

TheSaxon
10-07-2009, 17:10
I agree about the aforementioned chariots, it's nice to have some extra options for setting up flank charges.

I don't think you necessarily need to drop the shields from the goblins, but I'd definitely consider using night goblins instead and adding nets.

I would consider dropping the extra choppa from your unit of 18 boyz. for 180 points you could bump that unit up to 25 while still keeping their shields and full command. make a point of pairing that unit with another fast moving one to set up a flank charge, and victory is quite easy without needig the extra choppas.

rtunian
10-07-2009, 17:58
I don't think you necessarily need to drop the shields from the goblins, but I'd definitely consider using night goblins instead and adding nets

common goblins with handweapon, shields, and light armor, are surprisingly good in combat (to their front). they are a bit more durable/reliable than netter night goblins, though they don't bring the threat of fanatics. it's moot though, since he expressly doesn't want to use night goblins.

to clarify, i only suggested dropping shields from orcs which are equipped with 2 choppas

Freman Bloodglaive
10-07-2009, 20:57
So more like this?

Orc Warboss-225 points
-light armour
-shield
-boar
-Martog's Best Basha
-Warboss Um's Best Boss 'At
-Bigged's Kicken' Boots

Orc Big Boss-163 points
-light armour
-boar
-battle standard bearer
-Mork's Spirit Totem

Goblin Big Boss-129 points
-light armour
-shield
-wolf
-Wollopa's One Hit Wunda
-Brimstone Bauble

Goblin Shaman-165 points
-Staff of Sneaky Stealin'
-goblin chariot

Heroes-682 points

Goblin Wolf Chariot-60 points

Goblin Wolf Chariot-60 points

Special-260 points

Rare-160 points

-short bows
-musician

-short bows
-musician

30 Goblins-140 points (Goblin Big Boss goes here)
-shields
-Goblin Boss
-standard bearer
-musician

12 Orc Boyz-89 points
-additional choppa
-musician

12 Orc Boyz-89 points
-additional choppa
-musician

24 Orc Boyz-174 points (BSB goes here)
-shield
-Orc Boss
-standard bearer
-musician

18 Orc Big Unz-256 points (Warboss goes here)
-additional choppa
-shield
-standard bearer
-musician
-War Banner

Common 890 points

Total 1992 points

The wolf chariots are cheaper and faster than boar chariots and hit just as hard (and die much more easily) but I think they fit a theme where the Orcs just aren't interested in anything other than running up to the enemy and hitting them. It's the Goblins who come up with 'clever' ideas like strapping themselves into a catapult and smashing headfirst into the enemy.

Tactics seem pretty simple (an Orc trait). Shoot up the enemy's hardest units with the bolt throwers and doom divers. Try to hit their second hardest unit with two or three chariots or the Warboss and Bigunz (or both) and use the Orc Boyz to murder their weaker units. The Goblin Big Boss relies on rushing suicidally towards small elite units (Chaos Knights or Blood Knights) and hoping to cause enough damage through his strength 10 attacks and explosion to reduce their combat effectiveness (like I said, 'clever' Goblins). If the BSB's unit gets mauled he rushes over to the Goblin unit to use their rank bonus for his spirit totem. The Goblin unit is there to hopefully add rank bonuses and survive a bit. Wolf Riders try to march block, pepper with arrows, and play tag with frenzied troops.

KarlFranz92
11-07-2009, 13:30
maybe you might consider replacing the goblin big boss with a goblin shaman, magic defence seems to be too low on this list