PDA

View Full Version : Chosen Warrior build

grhino
10-07-2009, 14:28
Hi everyone,

I know the Tactica: Warriors of Chaos already includes some suggestions about the Chosen, but the info there is crammed with other remarks and different discussions. So here's a new thread to learn about the good thing and less good things of using Chosen.

What's your favourite build and how do you use it?

I was thinking:
-12 chosen of Khorne, full command, Favour of the Gods, War Banner, shields, halberds. 350 points

-12 chosen of Tzeench, full command, Banner of Wrath, Book of Secrets, shields, halberds. 380 points

-12 chosen of Nurgle, full command, Festering Shroud, Favour of the Gods, shields, halberds. 345 points (have to admit: I'm no fan of Nurgle... don't know why)

-chosen of slaanesh? They seem relatively weak compared to the others, and taking a Banner of Rage on these is useless as well.

Do you think it is even necessary to put a character in the unit or would this be overkill and too easy a target for luring when made MoK?

Also, what type of Warshrine should accompany them and what do you think are the most usefull results on the EotG-roll?

Witchblade
10-07-2009, 22:21
6-8 Khornate with GW + helm of many eyes.

Kalec
10-07-2009, 23:15
If the champ isnt carrying Favour, you shouldn't be using chosen.

Witchblade
10-07-2009, 23:39
I wouldn't use Chosen in any competitive scene TBH.

During a friendly tomorrow, on the other hand, I'll be running the following Chosen deathstar.
18 Tzeentchian Chosen, halberds, shields, FC, favour, war banner
Festus
Valkia
Exalted of Tzeentch, BSB, Helm of many eyes, GW, Collar of Khorne

Supported by 2 Slaaneshi Warshrines, I intend to get a 12 on the EotG table before reaching combat. Then I'll go for fear/terror if needed and +1S/T/A.

I fear this unit will be avoided most of the game, but it carries well over half of my 2000 points and the rest consists of cheap support units. Valkia cannot be avoided and she will systematically take out my opponent's redirectors, war machines and vulnerable units.

kardar233
11-07-2009, 01:11
I used a build very similar to the one below in one game against a Dwarf Gunline; just switched the War Banner for Blasted Standard for defense until I get my Ward.

Was incredibly effective; started with 24 men and ended with 16.

Cartoon
11-07-2009, 04:02
I run a unit of 12 Slaanesh chosen with the war banner in conjunction with two chariots. I usually give them halberds and shields, but if I can get +1 strength on the EotG I take it and just use shields. I also run them full command, and give the champion favor of the gods. They are hard enough to pin in place the tougher units my opponent has, at least long enough to slam my chariots into his flanks.

Deroga
11-07-2009, 04:10
Hi everyone,

I know the Tactica: Warriors of Chaos already includes some suggestions about the Chosen, but the info there is crammed with other remarks and different discussions. So here's a new thread to learn about the good thing and less good things of using Chosen.

What's your favourite build and how do you use it?

I was thinking:
-12 chosen of Khorne, full command, Favour of the Gods, War Banner, shields, halberds. 350 points

-12 chosen of Tzeench, full command, Banner of Wrath, Book of Secrets, shields, halberds. 380 points

-12 chosen of Nurgle, full command, Festering Shroud, Favour of the Gods, shields, halberds. 345 points (have to admit: I'm no fan of Nurgle... don't know why)

-chosen of slaanesh? They seem relatively weak compared to the others, and taking a Banner of Rage on these is useless as well.

Do you think it is even necessary to put a character in the unit or would this be overkill and too easy a target for luring when made MoK?

Also, what type of Warshrine should accompany them and what do you think are the most usefull results on the EotG-roll?

I have had alot of success with a unit of 11 full command tzeentch chosen wielding favor of the gods and banner of rage and joined by a level 4 slaanesh casting lord, while being buffed by 2 warshrines.

Cartoon
11-07-2009, 04:50
That brings up another interesting question. How has your lvl 4 Slaanesh lord faired? I'm curious about how well the lore of Slaanesh works these days?

As for whats useful on the EotG chart, I like +1 S, +1 T, +1 A, Terror, Ward, and I've found the MR 3 to be useful as well, although it depends on what army you're facing. I suppose the +1 armor save could be handy as well.

Griffery
11-07-2009, 06:56
I normally take 10 chosen with full command. It is 10 because they come in sets of five and I don't want to buy another set and only use 2 for 15. I am not sure if I like great weapons or not. The strikes last can get very annoying at times. Then again they normally have a higher WS so they will get more hits and with GW they will get more wounds as well. I would suggest 10, or 12 if you have them, Chosen of Khorne with halberds and shields with full command. I think MoN is a waste on them becasue they will more than likely have a higher WS with 6. Also the shields are mostly for shooting and magic missile defense. MoS is, in my opinion, for weak units that I will probably just throw away. I dont like MoT on infantry because it only gives a 6+ ward save which doesnt seem that helpful. MoK is probably the best becasue of the ITP and also the extra atk with frenzy. I'm also not that worried about them being bated because they will more than likely crush what ever they charge and also with only 4 movement, 8 on the charge, your oponent has to get close in the first place and you should have some other units to get rid of some tarpits.

Skogla
11-07-2009, 08:50
I usually field 12 (2x6) with favour of the gods and mark of tzeentch and raptorious banner though Im gonna try out 12 (2x6) with favour of the gods and mark of nurgle with blasted standard and ofc on both options shield + halberd

tho rolling 12 with blasted standard makes it quite useless :P so I'll probably fit em with something else

Levett
11-07-2009, 09:56
My main tournament army is based around a chosen deathstar. It took me a long time to work aorund some of the WoC flaws, namely;

Poor Leadership
No high LD characters other than Archaon / Sigvald
Poor dispelling ability in the magic phase

After plenty of games, I now run the following list, which so far has never lost, and I generally look at a full wipe of my opponents army, with about 4-5 chosen being killed. The most I've lost is 7.

Lords

Archaon - 685pts
Armour of Morkar
Slayer of Kings
Crown of Domination
Eye of Sheerian
Dorghar

Heroes

Exalted Hero- 214pts
Daemonic Mount
Enchanted Shield
Collar of Khorne
Flail
Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer - 110pts
Book of Secrets

Chaos Sorcerer - 85pts

Core

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Special

Chaos Knights - 200pts
5 Models

Chosen - 325pts
13 Models
Great Weapons
Mark of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Champion w/ Favour of the Gods

Rare

War shrine - 130pts

War shrine - 130pts

I can normally guarentee the roll of a '12' on the EoTG table by the end of turn 1, and if for some reason I dont have it, the warshrines park up infront of the chosen and shield them for a turn, as the shrines themselves are impossibly hard to kill being T6 with a 4+/4+.

The exalted hero sits with the knights for the first turn or two giving them MR2 until he's within range of an enemy character, then charges out and attempts to kill said target (not failed so far!).

Overall the list can be hard to play with, but it never runs due to archaons abilities and the stubborn from the EoTG table, it happily wipes the floor with any unit that attacks it and it has plenty of units to redirect charges etc.

geldedgoat
11-07-2009, 09:57
Is the combination of Chosen with Favor, a Warshrine, and Valkia (who doesn't have to hang nearby) competitive? Or would that be too much of a points-sink? I was thinking of using a set-up like that with Nurgle Chosen, but Griffery's comment has me considering Khorne now.

Kerill
11-07-2009, 13:31
Overall the list can be hard to play with, but it never runs due to archaons abilities and the stubborn from the EoTG table, it happily wipes the floor with any unit that attacks it and it has plenty of units to redirect charges etc.

Hard to play with? How?

Mullitron
11-07-2009, 18:58
excuse my ignorance but why is everyone taking mot with their chosen?

Time of Madness
11-07-2009, 19:05
Wtf how come nobody likes these things. In an infantry based list they rock especially with a warshrine nearby.

The best unit to take is 12 Slaanesh Chosen with shields and favour of the gods and rapturous standard. Back them up with a slaanesh warshrine and you have a couple of nice units that can really hold a flank.

Brother J
11-07-2009, 19:12
excuse my ignorance but why is everyone taking mot with their chosen?

Modifies ward saves by +1 possibly.

xsamx
11-07-2009, 19:28
Just thought about this, what about giving the champion Glaive of Putrefication?

The chosen will attract all the big nasties from your opposition, and if the champ / a char in the unit can get a wound with the glaive, then the next turn said char/big beast will be mincemeat?

or is this simply not needed due to the great weapons?

Levett
11-07-2009, 20:47
The list is hard to play with due to lack of being able to move around. You basically have to sit there and take it.

MoT is best as it gives you a static 6+ ward on your expensive unit until you get a '12' on the EoTG, and once you do, you end up with a 3+ ward, making the unit invincible. Also, 3+ is far superior to a 4+.

xsamx
11-07-2009, 22:07
My main tournament army is based around a chosen deathstar. It took me a long time to work aorund some of the WoC flaws, namely;

Poor Leadership
No high LD characters other than Archaon / Sigvald
Poor dispelling ability in the magic phase

After plenty of games, I now run the following list, which so far has never lost, and I generally look at a full wipe of my opponents army, with about 4-5 chosen being killed. The most I've lost is 7.

Lords

Archaon - 685pts
Armour of Morkar
Slayer of Kings
Crown of Domination
Eye of Sheerian
Dorghar

Heroes

Exalted Hero- 214pts
Daemonic Mount
Enchanted Shield
Collar of Khorne
Flail
Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer - 110pts
Book of Secrets

Chaos Sorcerer - 85pts

Core

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Marauders - 40pts
10 Models

Special

Chaos Knights - 200pts
5 Models

Chosen - 325pts
13 Models
Great Weapons
Mark of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Champion w/ Favour of the Gods

Rare

War shrine - 130pts

War shrine - 130pts

I can vouch for this list (or one very similar, think you've made changes since lev?) as i've seen it in action at our local store, and the chosen unit is indeed a beast, Archaons ability to charge out of the unit later in the game seems to make it even more deadly.

Witchblade
12-07-2009, 01:53
I'll be running the following Chosen deathstar.
18 Tzeentchian Chosen, halberds, shields, FC, favour, war banner
Festus
Valkia
Exalted of Tzeentch, BSB, Helm of many eyes, GW, Collar of Khorne

Post-game comments: With T5, 3/2+ armour, 3+ ward and 5+ regeneration, the Chosen unit was disgustingly hard to kill. The Exalted was capable of killing lord level characters with contemptuous ease.

Valkia is pretty damn nice, with her 20' radius threat range. She offers the mobility to harass the enemy and clear the path for the Chosen. Synergy's a good 'un!

However... any wood elf or other army with plenty of redirectors (e.g. warhounds, harpies) would have no trouble at all with this kind of army. Likewise, VC could tarpit and redirect the unit as long as needed.

In conclusion, the army is great to try for a friendly, but too boring to try on regular basis and definitely not competitive. In short, exactly what you would expect.

Griffery
12-07-2009, 07:04
The list is hard to play with due to lack of being able to move around. You basically have to sit there and take it.

MoT is best as it gives you a static 6+ ward on your expensive unit until you get a '12' on the EoTG, and once you do, you end up with a 3+ ward, making the unit invincible. Also, 3+ is far superior to a 4+.

Ahh thank you. I guess I have never truly paid attention to the EotG table and how powerful a roll of 12 with MoT can be. The Archaon like 3+ ward save is nasty. Also I like your list, however I can see how the small amount of fast units can be a little annoying. I don't think I would ever use a list without some warriors because I love them so much, but I like the idea of using Archaon with Chosen and warshrines. I was just wondering why 13 Chosen. How many did you have in each rank?

Levett
12-07-2009, 14:42
Bascially, the unit gets joined by characters to increase the rank bonus, but I only ever aim for;

2 Ranks
Banner
Numbers

I use the characters to ensure I get the rank bonus, and also 13 gives me a few chosen I can actually afford to lose as casualties... which is a nice thing to have! :)