PDA

View Full Version : Were these tanks ever in 40k?

ShinMusashi44
11-07-2009, 00:50
Were these tanks ever in the SM army? And is so what books? I thought about scratch building some for stand-ins for Baneblade tanks for Apoc. games

Znail
11-07-2009, 00:55
Looks like some early concept for Baneblades.

Ozorik
11-07-2009, 01:05
In short, no. The original baneblades were much more rounded IIRC

I have never heard of them before now and I have been playing since Space Marine.

Kev Walkers artwork always makes me nostalgic :)

chaos0xomega
11-07-2009, 01:08
those are "fellblades." Consider them the same as a Baneblade, but more rounded and used by SMurfs. Bell of Lost Souls made rules for them...

Jackmojo
11-07-2009, 01:22
Nah, they're the semi-mythic Hercules, which IIRC is supposed to be larger then the predator but smaller then the Land Raider.

The picture and fiction is from the 1st edition Space Marine (a.k.a Epic 40k) which was all about the Heresy fighting (convenient since it only came with Space Marines to fight each other).

Jack

hammer326
11-07-2009, 01:29
theyre *********** cool and would look like a neat ass model to make, but look so much more like star wars or battletech or something than 40k which isnt bad. so are they fellblades or Hercules?

Tanner MIrabel
11-07-2009, 01:45
The text in the picture itself says Hercules

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-07-2009, 01:52
To be honest, they don't look that impressive (unless you're talking about the Titan in the background). They're just retro Predators and 2nd ed Land Raiders.

rabblerouser
11-07-2009, 01:55
I think there is alot of confusion about the name of this tank. It seems like the people behind HHCG screwed up and called the space marine version of the banblade a fellblade, while it was supposed to be the name of that specific death guard tank. In the older fluff, this tank was known as a hercules.

And since we're on the subject, does anyone have any more pictures of these tanks?

Ironmonger
11-07-2009, 01:57
To be honest, they don't look that impressive (unless you're talking about the Titan in the background). They're just retro Predators and 2nd ed Land Raiders.

No, they're Hercules, an old Marine Superheavy that never got rules. Not Fellblades.

Edit: ninja'd!!!

rabblerouser
11-07-2009, 01:57

They are not predators. The marines standing next to them indicate the tank is bigger than a predator. The shape is all wrong too. They are hercules tanks, aka space marine baneblades

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
11-07-2009, 17:01
They are hercules tanks, aka space marine baneblades

Not quite. These are definitely Hercules, but the Marine superheavy based on the Baneblade chassis is the Fellblade. As far as I know, the Hercules is a separate hull pattern, although likely one with at least a few variants.

eltanko
11-07-2009, 17:03
The chassis does look very Baneblade-esqe, but the turret doesnt match at all, its like the old style predator turrett, rounded. would be interesting to see a modern edition variant.

ElTanko

Ironmonger
11-07-2009, 17:08
The chassis does look very Baneblade-esqe, but the turret doesnt match at all, its like the old style predator turrett, rounded. would be interesting to see a modern edition variant.

ElTanko

And... let the conversions commence!:p

eltanko
11-07-2009, 17:18
And... let the conversions commence!:p

oh, hell yes

if i had the time and money, would be a cool conversion!!

ElTanko

Grimbad
11-07-2009, 19:01
The original baneblade templates from white dwarf would be a good starting point if you wanted to build one of those. They're not nearly as big as the more recent versions of the tank (I think- never seen one next to a GW plastic one), but they're at least a heavy tank. You can find them if you join the BWC archive (or maybe sfcma? [sci-fi-card-model-archive]) yahoo group. I'm planning to build one-- old baneblade that is -- for my guard, and maybe a couple for the orks two. They're pretty weird old tanks- the sponsons mount three plain old bolters each.

LonelyPath
11-07-2009, 20:06
IIRC the central tank was a command vehicle, above and below it were predators and at the rear is a LR (from the RT period). On the left was a Shadow Sword. It's been a long time since I read the run down of what was in the art, but I thnk that's what it was.

Archangel_Ruined
11-07-2009, 20:48
They look identical to fell blades (there's a pic of a chaos one floating round somewhere in the sabretooth card game: http://www.pa-sy.com/hhccg/images/khatek.jpg , it's just spikier). That's one of the problems with old pics and fluff, recently everything has been retconned to buggery. Either way, if you're going to kitbash one the baneblade would be the best start point.

eltanko
11-07-2009, 21:27
What rules would you use? Baneblade stats as it seems quite similar. But with less weapons.

ElTanko

Archangel_Ruined
11-07-2009, 21:41
Baneblade with BS4 and the appropriate points hike, say 30pts or so, most of the stuff is blast weapons or twin linked anyway.