PDA

View Full Version : New Army

Griffery
11-07-2009, 07:00
So I have about 3.5k worth of WoC. I was wondering if I could possibly start up a new army or if Warseer thinks I should get more like 5k of WoC. Also I am not big into painting, mainly becasue I am not very good, so should I leave my WoC unpainted and start buying the new army or just take my time and focus on my WoC?

WhiteKnight
11-07-2009, 07:13
I would say focus on your current army for about 6-8 months and then after you paint them up the way you want them, start a new army. No need in buying more stuff. Think about it, whenever are you going to be using more than 4k WOC?

Brother J
11-07-2009, 07:30
Spend your time playing with your WoC army and painting. While you might not be good at it right now, no one really is until they get practice.

I remember the first model I painted. 40k Terminator character (You know, the one with the banner on his back and weird bolter thing in one hand.), painted him white, he looked kinda badass, like a faded white that's been dulled down through numerous battles...only because of how poor a job I did. (Poor worked out that time around I guess.)

Now, while I'm not at the level of the 'Eavy Metal team by any means, I can paint an army I'm happy with.

Paint 'em up, play with them, and if you still feel like making another army after it's all said and done, make another army...but remember, you gotta paint those eventually as well lol

snurl
11-07-2009, 07:39
Buying more figures before painting the ones you already have is a dangerous habit to start.

Lord Dan
11-07-2009, 08:06
Buying more figures before painting the ones you already have is a dangerous habit to start.

...and it's a habit every single person on these forums is trying to break. :angel:

The Red Scourge
11-07-2009, 08:12
Also I am not big into painting, mainly becasue I am not very good...

I know a trick that can take even the worst painter to stardom easily. It just takes a little practice :) a side effect of that is that your armies will get painted and start looking better on the table - and as you progress, you can always go back and redo the first "failed" attempts.

BrazenSix
11-07-2009, 19:16
Finish your WoC. That's a lot of points... but everyone else is right. Finish what you've got then move on after then if you still have those feelings.

mrtn
11-07-2009, 19:47
Paint enough so that you can at least play a normal game with painted models. It will help your winning score too, I promise. ;)

Vermin-thing
11-07-2009, 20:53
...and it's a habit every single person on these forums is trying to break. :angel:

I'm one of those people!

I think I could drown myself in the stupid amount of models that I need to paint. :( :eek: At least I've decided to paint my HEs as I get them, but on the other hand I'm not sure I can paint them fast enough. I have some wild, and kinda over the top plans for them. The army is going to be themed on the elements; fire, water, earth, and air.

It's ironic my only painted army is Skaven, and it has the worst core models.

PeG
11-07-2009, 21:09
unless you miss a specific unit it sounds like you have enough models of WoC. I agree with the others get them painted and spend some more time playing with them. From a painting point of view they are a decent army with lots of possibilities but it is also possible to make them look good with less effort than is required with many other armies (at least there are not that many of them compared to horde armies).

If you really want a new army maybe look at elves. A friend of mine plays WE and WoC and is very happy with the combo since the armies represent two completely different parts of the spectrum with one fast, shooty, fragile army with very little magic and one hard hitty army with lots of magic.

Brother J
11-07-2009, 21:49
I'm one of those people!

I think I could drown myself in the stupid amount of models that I need to paint. :( :eek: At least I've decided to paint my HEs as I get them, but on the other hand I'm not sure I can paint them fast enough. I have some wild, and kinda over the top plans for them. The army is going to be themed on the elements; fire, water, earth, and air.

It's ironic my only painted army is Skaven, and it has the worst core models.

It's a horrible, horrible feeling to have a lot of models to paint but to be reluctant to do so. Even those who love painting models have it every once in a while.

Unfortunately mine is drawn by the fact that I have to finish buying the rest of my models for my 2250pt, and paint the rest of what I have up, on top of having to paint a 2250pt Dark Elf army. Pain in the ****.

liggu
11-07-2009, 22:17
I don't leave models unpainted, I only play this for the painting and gathering an army, no matter whether it's a good mix of units of not.

I'm also no where near a good painter :)

LonelyPath
11-07-2009, 23:43

Indeed, I'm guilty of it myself haha

Duke Georgal
12-07-2009, 00:13
Also I am not big into painting, mainly becasue I am not very good.

Paint! Practice will make you better. If you aren't painting then you are missing out on the most rewarding part of this hobby. If you aren't painting then you should be playing board games.

Habit? Hah! It is an addiction. A creepy and unbreakable addiction. I buy at least three figures for every one I paint.

Paint enough so that you can at least play a normal game with painted models. It will help your winning score too, I promise. ;)

Playing with fully painted armies certainly is more enjoyable, but I have not seen any winning improvement. WAAC players with unpainted armies have better win averages, but less fun.

NakedBarbarian
12-07-2009, 01:15

I agree its a horrible feeling to have half of your collection of models unpainted, you're spending a significant portion of money on this hobby you may as well get the most out of your models

grhino
12-07-2009, 09:12
I have a rule on building and painting models, but I have to be honest I'm at the edge of breaking it... I allow myself only three boxes unpainted but assembled and three boxes in 'assembly' (incl. basecoating). I've recently broken my rule by picking up a Juggernaut riding Khorne hero, but that one was assembled and painted in two days (really easy model to paint). I have three fully painted armies of about 3500 (chaos), 4000 (tomb kings) and 6000 points (high elves).

The three boxes to be assembled and painted are the old Empire battalion (with the state troops already), the army box and the steamtank. Lots of models (an army in itself) but challenging. Going to apply the Herny Ford principles of production...