PDA

View Full Version : Greatsword Prices: So Did You Cave In?

Asp
11-07-2009, 22:40
Ok, so we all, or almost all, said that we weren't paying 25 for the Greatswords.

But we also know that GW-models, especially new GW-models, excude a special allure.

So: Did you cave in?

Well did ya, punk? :)

Poseidal
11-07-2009, 22:42
Nope, I got the Archers who were ok but stayed clear of the Greatswords.

I would say I have self control, but I just spent the money on other models.

jullevi
11-07-2009, 23:35
I didn't buy them, but I convinced my friend with too much disposable income to buy Greatswords and Steam tank for me in exhance for comission painting. Personally, I fnd them both too expensive for my wallet.

Duke Georgal
12-07-2009, 02:35
I will NEVER allow any being, company, or entity to get more of my beloved money than a product has value! Everyone should live by this rule!

I have the money, and I have the desire to purchase, but the product does not contain enough value to justify a purchase.

No more Greatswords or Steam Tank for me.

starlight
12-07-2009, 02:51
In the interests of full disclosure, I don't have an Empire Army... WFB is all about the Greenskins for me. :)

Also in the interests of full disclosure, I have significant disposable income and buy entire armies pretty much whenever I want. I currently have well over a dozen armies of at least 3,000pts.

They are *way* past the point of value for me, regardless...and one of the reasons I stopped even considering additional WFB armies... :(

Sorry GW I'll keep buying when I see good value, but this isn't good value... :(

Khornies & milk
12-07-2009, 03:08
I bought the STank for my Grandson's Empire list, quite simply because he wanted one in his army. It's a lovely model with great detail on it and looks sweet painted.

My Son bought one also, and He would have bought Greatswords as well, but they're not that great a unit to have in a list to start with, so for that reason didn't but any.

Also... we never pay full retail so the STanks were bought at 20% off.

loveless
12-07-2009, 04:02
I did not purchase them. Glanced at them, but never considered buying them alone - I did consider buying the battalion and selling the knights out of it, but ultimately decided against it.

Harry
12-07-2009, 05:17
Nope. Not doing it. (...and I have for some time now collected everything for fantasy regardless).

I got the archers (several boxes) and will build a Stirland army around them.
If Greatswords had been the same price I would have bought multiple kits and used them as the basis of state troops for somewhere more affluent like Averland.

This seems to me to be a very poor decision. I feel like they should have had more confidence that this kit would sell in quantity. They don't seem to know their customers very well if they thought this was a good idea. But then again I am sure they were looking at numbers and are better informed than I am. But if their biggest fans and most serious collectors are saying 'not at that price' then they have to consider more than just the numbers.

Someone was kind enough to give me the Steam tank so I ahve one BUT much as I think it is a wonderful kit I probably wouldn't have bought this either at that price but picked up another matal one on e-bay for the same money.

New Cult King
12-07-2009, 05:22
I used to pick up random Fantasy stuff to paint as character pieces for RPGs but even though they are nice minis, I'm not dropping AU$69 on 10 plastic soldiers.

ICEMANQ
12-07-2009, 06:09
No, never. I''m considering starting an Empire army in the near future to go with my Dark Elves. I wouldn't even use greatswords (utterly useless, I can't even bear to justify them on fluff reasoning even). If they get buffed next edition I still wouldn't use them because I absolutely refuse to pay that much for ten plastic figures, when equivalent boxes are so much less. The argument that they are what, a few dollars/units of currency less than the metal ones is pathetic.

cttran77
12-07-2009, 06:14
I have a lot of disposable income, and I think the great sword models look awesome, but I just can't get over the price tag vs what I perceive to be the value of 10 plastic soldiers.

It's like being offered the world's sweetest, tastiest apple for $50. It might be an amazingly delicious piece of fruit, but it's still just fruit, and it's hard to pay the price of home electronics for something like a piece of fruit (or plastic toy soldier).

So no, I didn't buy any.

BobtheInquisitor
12-07-2009, 09:34
Honestly, I probably will cave eventually, when I run out of GW boxes that are better deals to buy. For example, I want to get The Imperial Bastion, other Planetstrike terrain, DE corsairs, Black Orcs, Ork Nobs, Stormboys and Gretchin, a Tomb Kings Battalion, Wood Elves Battalion and a Lizardmen Battalion, etc., etc. I probably buy about $30 a month in GW products, when averaged out, so it will take me years to get through this list, not including actual modelling time (I have given up on painting--I just don't like doing it). But then, yes, I will probably cave and get some greatswords. Heck, I've bought multiple Empire Generals, and they are more expensive per "person", so I'm a bit of a hypocrite just feeling outraged at the price. But I do feel outraged, so I'll wait.

Tarax
12-07-2009, 09:48
As I didn't want them in the first place, I voted 'Other'.

Although I would have bought them if they were cheaper, just for the models. But as some already have said, I don't think they are that good to fit into my army.

Still, I have some old Reiksguard foot knights who sometimes stand in for Greatswords.

freddythebig
12-07-2009, 10:47
I have about 1000pts of Empire that I started to collect a couple of years back. I lost interest in them when they were re-done as I did not like the new look.
I was recently considering adding to them and bringing them up to about 2000pts.
I would have bought some Greatswords at a reasonable price, a couple of boxes probably.
I will not pay the current price on principle as it is extremely poor value for money.

Vermin-thing
12-07-2009, 11:08
Nope. Not doing it. (...and I have for some time now collected everything for fantasy regardless).

I got the archers (several boxes) and will build a Stirland army around them.
If Greatswords had been the same price I would have bought multiple kits and used them as the basis of state troops for somewhere more affluent like Averland.

Whooo I too am building (painting) a Stirland army!

I broke down, and got ONE pack of goldswords. I would rather die than get another! You'd have to point a gun (sword maybe?) too my head in order for me to even consider another pack!!! In the end it worked out okay, but only because I play Stirland, and I wanted some "stateswords" So in the end I ended up paying $76 for a box of state troops, and the goldswords. As a one time perchance it wasn't too painful.

AND dang I probly need another five or so archer boxes. You could have had four boxes worth of goldswords but no... ...GW... ...no... ...why do you mock me so? :cries:

BTW did anyone buy a set off of a online trader?

Cypher
12-07-2009, 11:10
Got a Steam Tank - it was very high on the list of models I wanted regardless, and with indie discounts the price wasnt too unreasoable.

Not touching the greatswords though - although I'll bet you any money you like they'll have crazy overpowered rules whenever the next Empire book comes around ;)

t-tauri
12-07-2009, 11:16
No. Haven't moved on updating my Empire army. Sticking with the metal ones.

LonelyPath
12-07-2009, 11:27
I picked up 20 of the recently OOP metal Great Swords for a frend only for a measely 20. Look around, you can get some bargains.

Vermin-thing
12-07-2009, 11:32
I picked up 20 of the recently OOP metal Great Swords for a frend only for a measely 20. Look around, you can get some bargains.

I also got a good deal recently, I scored 12 HE sword masters for only $25! $65 total retail. ($68 if you go by the $10 pack + $18 blister)

Anyways I now that I think about it you kinda pay more so you can make the state troops/hand gunners faces look better.

Sureshot05
12-07-2009, 12:37
Nope, haven't and I have to say the sad bit is that when they initially released the images I thought yeah, I'll be getting some of those. If they had been half the price I would have bought two boxes to flesh out my existing unit up to 30 strong (not for tactical reasons) but alas, there are better ways to go about making and converting a unit of them.

For an addiction such as plastic crack I need larger doses at that price :evilgrin:

Llew
12-07-2009, 12:47
Wouldn't do it, didn't do it. I love my childish games, but I just won't pay $4 for a plastic mini that I have to build myself. Put 'em at normal prices and I buy 2 just on a whim.

Tymell
12-07-2009, 14:43
I don't actually collect Empire, nor would I wish to. However, I do think the greatsword models are excellent, and if I did collect the army I would love some, but I would still have said no at that price. If they up the elites of the armies I do collect to that standard, I'll be steering clear of them too.

Schmapdi
12-07-2009, 22:29
It was odd - yesterday I went to my not-so-local gaming store, and they had the old greatswords discounted $5 (being old stock) so that you could get them at a per-man cost of less than the new plastic kit. Progress!

LonelyPath
12-07-2009, 23:08
At least peopel in the UK can go here...

http://www.miniaturesbypost.com/product.php?p=2135&c=22&SID=q96109hhbb679j6jioo17a6fh6

18.34 is still alot, but less than 24.45...

Khornies & milk
13-07-2009, 00:13
I don't actually collect Empire, nor would I wish to. However, I do think the greatsword models are excellent, and if I did collect the army I would love some, but I would still have said no at that price. If they up the elites of the armies I do collect to that standard, I'll be steering clear of them too.

One Guy who goes to the same FLGS I do did buy 2 boxes of greatswords, and then He paid one of the great painters that are there $30 for each of them to be done.

For some people price means very little, or at least other factors come into play when they make decisions on what to buy or not.

Finnigan2004
13-07-2009, 01:54
I won a tournament at a local store that allowed me $40.00 in GW product. I looked briefly at the goldswords because I'd only have to kick in $10.00 of my own money. I do collect every army except skaven for fantasy, and have no greatswords. I grabbed a GW chapel because I actually thought, "I can't encourage this sort of madness."

Catferret
13-07-2009, 03:52
I wanted a box of Greatswords just for the bits and to convert for random projects but, even assuming cash wasn't so tight just now, 25 is a total no go for me.

Having said that, I just spent 15 on the 2 orc raiders from mail order. I'm not the brightest of sparks... :rolleyes:

Plaguebeast
13-07-2009, 04:02
I have yet to cave in despite seeing all the great conversions in last month's WD. However, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I already have a unit of the OOP metals. If I didn't have the metals I would have been seriously tempted to pick up a box from Wayland Games, as even with shipping, the price is MUCH cheaper than RRP here in Australia.

Plaguebeast

Edonil
13-07-2009, 05:50
At least peopel in the UK can go here...

http://www.miniaturesbypost.com/product.php?p=2135&c=22&SID=q96109hhbb679j6jioo17a6fh6

18.34 is still alot, but less than 24.45...

I'm in the US, not the UK, but personally, the principle of the thing would have me saying 'no' to them even at a discount. I don't have an Empire army, but I had toyed with the idea of one- now I definitely won't. I play Sisters for 40k and think that, while I don't love the price, it's not so outrageous that I'm getting ripped off too horribly. But when GW tries to sell me ten plastic dudes that need to be in at least a 20 man unit in order to work and wants the same amount of money for my higher detail, better sculpted Sisters that are metal...no. Wasn't going to get them, and they drove all but...two of the last nails in the coffin of 'screw WFB' for me. The Daemons book drove in half of the previous ones too. WFB is really getting screwed over lately with stupid stuff, I have to say.

Jedi152
13-07-2009, 08:01
Nope, still not caved.

This was a bit of a turning point in the hobby for me. I've started to question what value i do actually get out of miniatures.

Plaguebeast
13-07-2009, 08:42
Nope, still not caved.

This was a bit of a turning point in the hobby for me. I've started to question what value i do actually get out of miniatures.

As have I. Before the the release of the Greatswords I was eagerly anticipating the BoC AB, but now I'm dreading the prices GW will be offering on any new BoC plastics. I've only got a few more bits and pieces to pick up for my all-cavalry WoC army and then that's it for me until the Beasts are released.

Even then, if the prices are as ridiculous as the new Empire plastics, I won't be buying anything.

Plaguebeast

The boyz
13-07-2009, 09:07
Nope, I did't buy any Goldswords. At that price GW can keep them.