PDA

View Full Version : Nettes as Wild Riders and WYSIWYG

Adeptus Mechanicus
12-07-2009, 17:11
Ok. Im going to go ahead and just say it. I dislike GW's Forest Spirit models. The Treeman looks like a twig-man version of a Tyranid and don't even get me started on the Treekin, they look horrible. GW really nailed the look of the Dryads, they look great, but the rest of the spirits looks really, really bad tbh. The easiest way around this is to use non-GW models of course and if I ever visit a tounry with this list and they won't let me enter, so be it. For the treeman Im using the Treewoman from Ultraforge Miniatures, a great piece that looks like a giant Dryad with a certain mother nature twist. For my Treekin I am going to use randomly monster sized nature golems and elementals, mainly from Rackham and Dark Reaper. But when it comes to the Wild Riders (which also looks like a bunch of retarded elves on horses screaming their lungs out) I had the idea to use the old-school Mounted Daemonettes. The old Daemonettes looked a lot like alluring Dryads and the steed looks more like some kind of spirit thingie than a horse tbh. Only problem is they do not have spears, would this be a problem you think if I informed the opponent what they are and what they are equiped with? Here is the first model I assembled while I am currently thinking about what to do.

What do you think guys n gals? Should I scrap this idea and try to find another model to use?

PARTYCHICORITA
12-07-2009, 18:01
I wouldn't mind and i think no one should.
Is always refreshing to see an original looking army.

Witchblade
12-07-2009, 18:37
Just don't paint it like an actual Daemonette unit to avoid confusion when you're facing real Daemonettes.

I wouldn't mind.

Adeptus Mechanicus
12-07-2009, 19:06
Yeah of course, Im going to use Dryad bits on them as well. Daemonettes have always looked very Elven to me (pointy ears and all) and I enjoyed the Cult of Slaanesh list back in the SoC days but lets face it, even though these old metal nettes looked better they werent really slaanesh. The new ones feel more slaanesh with androgyneous appaerances and stuff. I think a lot of people just confuse the Prince of Excess with naked women, tounges and lots and lots of boobies.

Adeptus Mechanicus
12-07-2009, 20:13
Would be pretty nice if they could have spines (branches) growing out of their backs which could count as natural spears when charging.

Like this:

Anyone know how I could make spines like that, or are there any miniatures with spines that I could use for a conversion?

rtunian
12-07-2009, 21:41
green stuff for spines

imo you should buy some elf spear arm bits off the internet and model them in. just my 2c

Witchblade
12-07-2009, 21:48
Maybe you could use dryad arms.

LaughinGremlin
12-07-2009, 22:13
Dryad bits would make great spines or whatever. I'd also encourage you to modify the steeds so that they have leafy manes/tails or whatever you can imagine; however, I'd vote that you also do the easiest conversion that there is: a weapon swap. The branch spines are for effect or close combat, for they won't be long enough to represent a spear. You'll be grateful to have removed the sword, put a copper rod through the fist, and use the very sword that you removed to be the long partisan (spear head) of the weapon -- grateful, because you won't have to make an appology for your troops before each game. You won't need to preface your models, for they shall speak for themselves.

I like your ideas. If you want more of a broad treeman, I strongly recommend that from REAPER. For treekin, the two old GW treemen models, "Durthu" and the other regular one, accompanied by homemade man eating plants (made with split walnut shells and fake leaves and clinging vines) and other non-GW tree-type models that you may be able to find cheap will be better than the recent GW mistakes.

Adeptus Mechanicus
12-07-2009, 22:31
Good point. Thing is, the Daemonettes hold their daggers in a certain special way that makes it look rather retarded to just use a spear in one of the hands (that was my first thought), the spines (like the ones on Golgotha) could make makeshift spears but now when I went to check the models out a bit more they are really thin and a whole lot of spines will probably not fit. So Im pretty much back at square one. Greenstuffing and using speart arms is also a good idea, I really need to sort this out before I proceed. More suggestions are welcome.