PDA

View Full Version : Favourite "challenger"?

Babolat360
12-07-2009, 17:51
So who do all of you think is your best character in a challenge? What clever item setups and combos do you like to use on characters to make sure they can stand their ground against any other character in a challenge?

Here's my personal favourite:

Night goblin big boss, amulet of protecyness (same armour and ward save as opponent), Lucky's dirk (+1 strength for every magic item opponent has) = 60pts!

Held up Archaon for 3 turns in a challenge until I finally won combat and ran down his unit :)

Scactha
12-07-2009, 17:57
This post will be removed from rumours in 3...2...1...

Babolat360
12-07-2009, 17:59
Sorry, I've put this topic in the wrong section :s Could a mod please move this for me?

Thanks

Ganymede
12-07-2009, 21:06
I'd say that the best challenger would probably be a character from the yet-to-be-released Skaven armybook. Let's talk about those special characters!

Caboose123
12-07-2009, 21:43
Battle Wizard
Lv2
Van Horstmann's Speculum
Power Stone

Chooses lore of beasts, casts bears anger, and gleefully issues a challenge.

t-tauri
12-07-2009, 22:57
Moved to Fantasy General.Please look where you're psoting.

Gekiganger
12-07-2009, 23:32
I'd say that the best challenger would probably be a character from the yet-to-be-released Skaven armybook. Let's talk about those special characters!

Indeed. Queek wins, he has style and a fairly good background.

Dag
13-07-2009, 00:16
khorne lord on juggernaught

runeshield / axe of khorne or runesword.

he will beat almost any other hero with ease. a herald would be good match. but w/o any magic weapons your not hurting that t5 0+ armour save.

Witchblade
13-07-2009, 02:06
Sadly, WoC characters get **** whooped in a challenge with proper lords, despite what the fluff and the EotG rule say.

The dreaded lord of the Pendant, HE star dragon prince, treeman ancient with netlings, skulltaker, greater demons, unkillable nurgle herald, suicide goblin, van horstmann (sp?) arch lector...

There's a solid Bretonnian duelist lord build too.

Dark14
13-07-2009, 02:18
asf crone hellebron with 5+ward from cauldron.

grumbaki
13-07-2009, 02:28
Empire Captain: Sword of Fate*, Full Plate, Shield, Barded Warhorse (114 pts)

* Nominate one enemy hero. Wound that hero on a 2+, no armor saves allowed, does d3 wounds.

Lord Yawgmoth
13-07-2009, 04:59
I agree, Van Horsemans Speculum on a wizard is the best person for challenges.

:(

Or that dude ^ (grumbaki's empire captain)

:( :(

Dragune
13-07-2009, 05:37
Oldblood on a Carnosaur with the Blade of Realities :D

Warhammer Madman
13-07-2009, 06:26
for me its gotta be

bret lord ,virtue of confidence, armour of aguiluf, steed, grail, birth sword.

re-rolls all hits and wounds in a challange and is WS10 he is also str5 forcing your opponent to re-rollall sucessfull armour saves...

outbreak
13-07-2009, 09:14
in low point games, ogre with tenderiser

Nicha11
13-07-2009, 09:19
Blood thirster, Obsidian armour, always re roll, Firestorm.

"Whats that? You can only kill me with a magic weapon? Oh well:skull:"

Babolat360
13-07-2009, 10:12
I have never come up across a VC player who is brave enough to accept a challenge with his general. Tis a great shame.....

the_picto
13-07-2009, 13:59
I've always been a fan of the wardancer highborn. Give him annoyance of netlings, blades of loec and the stone of the crystal mere and he's good to go.

Desert Rain
13-07-2009, 14:30
Blade of Realities Oldblood obviously.
And I sort of like the High Elf noble with the White Sword and Talsiman of Loec. Very cheap and potentially very dangerous.
The 9 Attacks Oldblood is nice too, especially when mounted on a Carnosaur.

Highlander
13-07-2009, 14:37
I think its Caradryan - 1d3 wounds against us2 or more,flamable, Always strike first, ward save, and if he get killed, he causes 1d6 wounds without armor saves.
Its a 175 points character, that you can "exchange" for a "250 points or more "characters of oponnent.

I cannot forgot one day that the treeman ancient got caradryn on challenge.

I have to got 6 to hit because a fairy that Treeman uses.

well, i got a six, he failed at save and ward save !!

1d3 wound i rolled a 5

well 3 wound, but the treeman suffers double damage againt a flame atack

Result, treeman killed with one hit !

Agoz
13-07-2009, 15:18
Ogre Bruiser with mawseeker, brace of handguns, ironfist, wyrdstone necklace, heavy armor, luck gnoblar, 2 sword gnoblars, and greedy fist.

toughness 6 (7 with toothcracker) ogre hero with a 2+ armor save 5+ ward save and he drains the magic properties of enemy weapons whenever he makes a save! not to mention being able to drain magic levels from wizards! I've had this guy hold up a bloodthirster for several turns before he failed his stubborn leadership test and ran. And the Tyrant version is even better!

Lordy
13-07-2009, 15:27
You can't beat Tyrion in a Challenge, 1+ save 4+ Ward Save 4+ Regeneration, might take him a while to kill you though :)

lparigi34
13-07-2009, 15:46
Battle Wizard
Lv2
Van Horstmann's Speculum
Power Stone

Chooses lore of beasts, casts bears anger, and gleefully issues a challenge.

I agree, Van Horsemans Speculum on a wizard is the best person for challenges.

I also agree, Ive also found the wizard w/ Bears Anger to be a killing beast in challenges. But lately I've found the Arch Lector to be even a better challenger.

Though it gives back a little more to your opponent, also can be kitted with more protection.

Other benefits:

1.-Hatred

2.-May boost himself, cause wounds or heal up to two wounds in the magic phase due to Prayers of Sigmar

Here are some nice combos, all are valid depending on who you fight against.

3.- Can take more wounds, not just one before dying.

A.- Arch Lector (1+Sv / 4+WS)
..Van Horstman
..Armour of Meteoric Iron
.. Holy Relic 4+ WS

B.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 6+WS + Auto pass all characteristic test)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Shield
..Down Armor
..Crimson Amulet

C.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 6+WS / Re-roll To Wound)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Shield
..Down Armor
..Sword of Justice
..Talisman of Protection

D.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 5+WS / MR 2)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Heavy Armor + Enchanted Shield
..Shroud of Magnus

w3rm
13-07-2009, 15:48
Sav. Orc Warboss W/ Boar, Enchanted Shields, Shaga's Sword and killing blow. 6 Str 6 attacks with killing blow and that's not even counting any other characters.

lparigi34
13-07-2009, 15:49
Nice thread... Please keep posting. Ill find the time time to run a test of this guys facing each other!!!

Highlander
13-07-2009, 18:26
You can't beat Tyrion in a Challenge, 1+ save 4+ Ward Save 4+ Regeneration, might take him a while to kill you though :)

Tyrion has armour save of 0, but its a detail !! very hard to kill him in a challenge, but can happen

Caboose123
13-07-2009, 18:38
Blood thirster, Obsidian armour, always re roll, Firestorm.

If this guy chalenges my mage with VHS and Bears Anger the Mage gets:
Ws 10
S 8
I 10
A 10
T 7

10 S 8 attacks hitting on 3s then wounding on 2s. The Bloodthirster has 1 S 4 attack, hitting on 5+ (with a re-roll) wounding on a 6.
All fear the mage!

Sly Rax
13-07-2009, 18:40
Nice thread... Please keep posting. Ill find the time time to run a test of this guys facing each other!!!

Go to the Arena of Death, its almost all been done!

Dwarves seem to be the best. I hate them, (allways killing my ogres:mad:)

BigbyWolf
13-07-2009, 19:59
I have never come up across a VC player who is brave enough to accept a challenge with his general. Tis a great shame.....

When I used to run Vlad von Carstein, it felt rude not to accept a challenge...he can reroll to wound against his chosen opponent unless they pass a Ld test on -4, as well as being able to heal himself with the wounds that he causes...and with a 4+ ward and 2+ resurrection. Admittedly with only 5 S5 attacks he isn't the most hard hitting character out there...but he can often hold his own...

grhino
14-07-2009, 09:12
I think its Caradryan - 1d3 wounds against us2 or more,flamable, Always strike first, ward save, and if he get killed, he causes 1d6 wounds without armor saves.
Its a 175 points character, that you can "exchange" for a "250 points or more "characters of oponnent.

I cannot forgot one day that the treeman ancient got caradryn on challenge.

I have to got 6 to hit because a fairy that Treeman uses.

well, i got a six, he failed at save and ward save !!

1d3 wound i rolled a 5

well 3 wound, but the treeman suffers double damage againt a flame atack

Result, treeman killed with one hit !
--------------------

That's pretty awesome! What **** puts a Treeman up against Caradryan anyway?

Lord Anathir
14-07-2009, 10:21
Sadly, WoC characters get **** whooped in a challenge with proper lords, despite what the fluff and the EotG rule say.

The dreaded lord of the Pendant, HE star dragon prince, treeman ancient with netlings, skulltaker, greater demons, unkillable nurgle herald, suicide goblin, van horstmann (sp?) arch lector...

There's a solid Bretonnian duelist lord build too.

wtf is the high elf guy gonna do? Dragon will die in two or three rounds against a decent combat character and you expect the high elf to make it with 4 st5 attacks?

N810
14-07-2009, 15:36
It's about 6-7 attacks that can cause up to 34 wounds worth of damage :wtf:

Saurus Oldblood (st5 ws6 at5/6)
Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Scaly Skin

(st7 ws3 at4)
Carnosaur (d3 wounds)
Causes Terror; Scaly Skin

Piranha Blade (2x wounds)
The Maiming Shield +1 attack
Bane Head (2x all wounds)
and a 6+ ward save

possible wounds... 34 :eek:

Dag
14-07-2009, 17:52

any chaos hero with a runeshield will almost always win vs special characters.

they all revolve around their badass weapons.

tyrion is cake to kill

again, runeshiled axe of khorne, on jug of khorne

the jug has 3 kb st5 attacks, the lord on its back has 6str6 kb attacks.

and kb cuts right through even tyrions regen. so you die 50% of the time he gets a 6 to wound.

and at str4 he's not hurting the chaos lord anytime soon. no str+3 flaming for you!

the shield and the 0+ armour is what makes it rediculous. you can never negate his armour save unless its in your special rules, and i dont think it is.

this hero has, and will cleave any other hero in the game to bits. even dragons dont hurt him much.

tyrants bounce of him aswell. you need kb, and most weapons give kb, so you lose it when you fight him. orc warboss with gnasha's i think is the only non-weapon kb outside of daemons.

Sappysid101
16-07-2009, 23:35
Crom The Conqueror

Simple he either uses his shield and other hero gets no magic weapon or he goes with dual weps and for every attack that wounds before saves he gets another attack. On top of awsome stats and no magic items even if he loses he's the best for fighting with absolutly nothing!

feintstar
16-07-2009, 23:59
Nah, its Gotta be

Level 4 high elf wizard with Talisman of Saphery and Loremasters cloak.
Except against Daemons, Spirits and the occasional special character, this dude will hold up anyone indefinitely while continuing to cast whatever he likes.

Or

HIgh Elf Prince with Blade of Hoeth, Armour of Stars and Talisman of Loec.
He runs, in, he strikes, he misses, he rerolls, and if he doesn't kill his adversary then he takes a wound BEFORE the opponent strikes back and teleports out of combat. Bamf.

lcfr
17-07-2009, 03:40
You're all nuts. Aside from special characters, the obvious winner is Unkillable Dwarf Lord!

Atop his Shieldbearers of +2 AS and Un-Killing Blow-ableness, protected by armour inscribed w/ Rune of +1 AS, Rune of You're Perma-S5-if-you're-already-higher-than-S5, and Rune of ReRollable 1+Save, crowned with the Rune of 4+ Ward Save, and armed with a simple yet efficient great weapon, he is Unkillable!

And even if it takes 8 rounds of combat, he will git you!

EDIT: So savage orc warboss, crom, speculum wizard, and even 0+ AS chaos lord on jugger...all you suckas don't stand a chance.

Trains_Get_Robbed
17-07-2009, 06:37
Nah, its Gotta be

Level 4 high elf wizard with Talisman of Saphery and Loremasters cloak.
Except against Daemons, Spirits and the occasional special character, this dude will hold up anyone indefinitely while continuing to cast whatever he likes.

Or

HIgh Elf Prince with Blade of Hoeth, Armour of Stars and Talisman of Loec.
He runs, in, he strikes, he misses, he rerolls, and if he doesn't kill his adversary then he takes a wound BEFORE the opponent strikes back and teleports out of combat. Bamf.

That HE is a bamf no way to kill him unless negating magic items.

InsideReticle
17-07-2009, 08:07
That HE is a bamf no way to kill him unless negating magic items.

Until he is promptly counter-charged next turn and doesn't have the talisman to auto-teleport him anymore...

Poseidal
17-07-2009, 10:46
Probably not the best but I like the Wood Elf Wardancer Lord with Blades of Loec, Amber Pendant and Annoyance of Nettings.

5 WS7 attacks at S4, S5 if charging re-rolling wounds.

Enemy always strikes last (even if they would otherwise strike first); In a challenge is hit on a 6.

Then comes the choice of dance, which is either +1A, Killing Blow or 4+ Ward. (the ASF dance is redundant with the Amber pendant). Note these are not from a magical weapon but the Wardancer powers.

Disadvantage is no armour and only a 6+ ward save if the 4+ one is not used.

Won a duel with a Carnosaur Lord, (KBed the rider and then overkilled 4 times with the other attacks) but then got munched when the Carno rolled a 6 to hit and got the 3 on the wounds.

lord mekri
17-07-2009, 14:32
Crom the Conquerer (6th edition).
the ulimate challenge fighter. Wulfrick is really a sad replacement for him...

Lordy
17-07-2009, 15:48
any chaos hero with a runeshield will almost always win vs special characters.

they all revolve around their badass weapons.

tyrion is cake to kill

again, runeshiled axe of khorne, on jug of khorne

the jug has 3 kb st5 attacks, the lord on its back has 6str6 kb attacks.

and kb cuts right through even tyrions regen. so you die 50% of the time he gets a 6 to wound.

and at str4 he's not hurting the chaos lord anytime soon. no str+3 flaming for you!

the shield and the 0+ armour is what makes it rediculous. you can never negate his armour save unless its in your special rules, and i dont think it is.

this hero has, and will cleave any other hero in the game to bits. even dragons dont hurt him much.

tyrants bounce of him aswell. you need kb, and most weapons give kb, so you lose it when you fight him. orc warboss with gnasha's i think is the only non-weapon kb outside of daemons.

S6 Attacks still gives Tyrion a 3+ armour save and his 4+ ward and 4+ regen, your Lord would die before Tyrion did even if he only takes wounds on a 1 for armour saves.

Tyrions steed gets to attack aswell!

Kholek would be awesome aswell in combat, D3 wounds is just evil cakes.

BigbyWolf
17-07-2009, 17:06
Kholek would be awesome aswell in combat, D3 wounds is just evil cakes.

And even if his magic weapon is negated, he still has 7 S8 attacks!

Nerhesi
17-07-2009, 17:28
S6 Attacks still gives Tyrion a 3+ armour save and his 4+ ward and 4+ regen, your Lord would die before Tyrion did even if he only takes wounds on a 1 for armour saves.

Tyrions steed gets to attack aswell!

I think you need to re-read his post.

The lord has killing blow. Which means - on a 6 to wound, you don't get regen or an armor save. So you have a 50% chance of dying per killing blow.

3+ to hit, 2+ to wound, you're looking at almost 3 wounds per turn. means 50% chance of killing blow per turn. 25% chance of tyrian failing his ward and flat out dying per turn.

In a perfectly random world, Tyrian will die in 4 combat rounds or less guaranteed.

Sam W.

bob_the_small
17-07-2009, 21:58
Dark Elf Dreadlord, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armour of Eternal Servitude, then either Potion of Strength (+3 str) or a magic weapon like crimson death (str 6)

lcfr
17-07-2009, 23:23
Forgot about that Chaos Lord atop his rusty juggernot, Unkillable Dwarf Lord just killed him.

And that dreadlord w/the pendant? Unkillable Dwarf Lord even managed to kill him...maybe it'll take 30 rounds, but so what?

ikit_claw
18-07-2009, 06:03
It's a rather risky build, but then again with the Skaven, what isn't?

Warlord
-Warpstone Amulet
-Weeping Blade
-Bands of Power
-Heavy Armor + Shield

4+ Ward, potentially striking on S9 with each attack multiplying into D3 wounds. Alternately, you can lose the amulet and replace it with Warpstone Armor, which gives a 4+ save and for each wound saved it inflicts a S4 hit on the enemy that struck it.

High risk, high reward, but generally in my long career as a Skaven general, this guy has stood up to everything short of Archaon himself. His greatest victory ever was besting a Blood Dragon vampire lord in single combat (I made far more Ward Saves than should have been fair, though).

dsw1
18-07-2009, 11:16
I have to agree with everyone who mentioned Crom, easily the greatest character that didn't get put into a new book :cries:.

Von Wibble
18-07-2009, 12:41
I also agree, Ive also found the wizard w/ Bears Anger to be a killing beast in challenges. But lately I've found the Arch Lector to be even a better challenger.

Though it gives back a little more to your opponent, also can be kitted with more protection.

Other benefits:

1.-Hatred

2.-May boost himself, cause wounds or heal up to two wounds in the magic phase due to Prayers of Sigmar

Here are some nice combos, all are valid depending on who you fight against.

3.- Can take more wounds, not just one before dying.

A.- Arch Lector (1+Sv / 4+WS)
..Van Horstman
..Armour of Meteoric Iron
.. Holy Relic 4+ WS

B.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 6+WS + Auto pass all characteristic test)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Shield
..Down Armor
..Crimson Amulet

C.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 6+WS / Re-roll To Wound)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Shield
..Down Armor
..Sword of Justice
..Talisman of Protection

D.- Arch Lector (1+Sv + Re-roll / 5+WS / MR 2)
..Van Horstman
..Barded Horse
..Heavy Armor + Enchanted Shield
..Shroud of Magnus

You missed the best one

Arch Lector, Van Horstman's, Shield of the Gorgon, Sword of Fate.

All enemies reduced to 1 attack, hitting on no better than a 4, and facing a 4+ ward (built into a war alter). Pricy but can do the job.

Caboose123
18-07-2009, 23:18
Well for a 750 point game I played today I took a wizard with Van Horstmann's Speculum and Sword of Justice (We play it doesn't work for magic...), a nice combo for 50 points.
This took out a Chaos Sorcerer and a Unit Champion, very nice work (Although he always dispelled my Bear-ness).

Kalec
19-07-2009, 06:45
You missed the best one

Arch Lector, Van Horstman's, Shield of the Gorgon, Sword of Fate.

All enemies reduced to 1 attack, hitting on no better than a 4, and facing a 4+ ward (built into a war alter). Pricy but can do the job.

Armor of Meteoric Iron is a good sub for the shield, since the lector will rarely have his AS be worse then a 4+ and is cheaper.

But yes, this is the best challenge character there is.

mjg
20-07-2009, 03:32
Night Goblin Warboss with Light armor, enchanted Sheild, Sneaky Skewerer (-3 to armor save), Amulet of protectyness (use enemys armor save when wounded), Tricksy Trinket (models in base contact can not take ward saves)

133 points -4 to armor saves with no wards possible........... I5 so should strike first unless against ASF.

hawo0313
20-07-2009, 07:10
Why has noone said a brettonian character?

Brettonian lord on barded worhorse
questing vow
wirtue of confidence
gauntlet of the duel
enchanted sheild

233 pts

re-rolling to hit re-rolling to wound enemy must accept your challenge ignores armour save has both a great sword and hand weapon.

has a 1+ armour save and the lady wardsave has initiative 6

Caboose123
20-07-2009, 14:41
Brets are an old army, and may have trouble coping...