PDA

View Full Version : Which space marine chapter codex has the best normal marines?

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:04
Like title says: Which chapter space marine chapter codex has the best normal marines? I was thinking of making all footslogging space marine army and i wanted to know which space marine codex has the best basic troops, and which of them would make a good all footslogging army?

Skraal2099
12-07-2009, 21:05
Are you talking about fluff marines or game marines? In at least the recent fluff, the ultramarines are the best at everything, which I guess includes footslogging.

DarkstarSabre
12-07-2009, 21:07
At the moment? You're probably looking at the Standard SM at the moment.

All the same wargear options as the DA or BA at a cheaper points cost with the same effectiveness. That and the added flexibility to choose to split to combat squads when they deploy via drop pod etc.

Let's not forget free weapons for 10 man squads.

And as far as special rules go for the DAs or BAs? You can get the same rules or others from Codex SM special characters....

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:10
Are you talking about fluff marines or game marines? In at least the recent fluff, the ultramarines are the best at everything, which I guess includes footslogging.

Gaming marines.

Darkstarsabre: but what about space wolfes and black templars? Black templars can take neophytes

GideonRavenor
12-07-2009, 21:11
I'm not a fan, but I'll have to say Space Wolves, especially considering the new codex. However, they are substantially more expensive, I believe.

Templars are actually great for numbers and speed (the new edition seems to have overlooked them, making them pretty awesome), but their Initiates are quite uninspiring.

Kadrec
12-07-2009, 21:13
*cough*Chaos*cough* Space Marines...

Really, though, no one else gets better basic equipment...

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:14
When will the new space wolfes codex be out any rumors? On-topic: i really like the Black templar idea and taking them 10 man strong with 10 neophytes must be good, right?

DarkstarSabre
12-07-2009, 21:14
Gaming marines.

Darkstarsabre: but what about space wolfes and black templars? Black templars can take neophytes

We don't know about the Wolves yet. Come back in October for that.

Black Templars....not really.

They're more expensive than your basic squads, DON'T have the option to split into combat squads and don't receive free grenades, pistols AND ranged weapons or other nifty gubbins. Remember, you have to go by what's in the Codex across the board. You're thinking of footsloggers but you'll also want to look at Elites and the like as support.

Normal SMs have weaker Chaplains, that's true. Their commanders are stronger overall though and they are so much more flexible it isn't even funny.

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:15
*cough*Chaos*cough* Space Marines...

Really, though, no one else gets better basic equipment...

Yeah but i was asking for a space marine chapter....not chaos space marine

carldooley
12-07-2009, 21:17
go chaos - and take bile!

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:21
We don't know about the Wolves yet. Come back in October for that.

Black Templars....not really.

They're more expensive than your basic squads, DON'T have the option to split into combat squads and don't receive free grenades, pistols AND ranged weapons or other nifty gubbins. Remember, you have to go by what's in the Codex across the board. You're thinking of footsloggers but you'll also want to look at Elites and the like as support.

Normal SMs have weaker Chaplains, that's true. Their commanders are stronger overall though and they are so much more flexible it isn't even funny.

So you would recommend using the normal SM codex, with 1 commander 4-5 tac squads and sternguards or lost and the damned if i have the points, and btw if i make this army it is supposed to be 1500pts.

MajorWesJanson
12-07-2009, 21:30
Red Scorpions. Take the Codex SM Tac squad, and give them the option to upgrade the sarge to an Apothecary. FNP tac squads anyone?

Bane_sword
12-07-2009, 21:38
How can i do that? The codex doesn't include that option and besides would it be legal?

Mannimarco
12-07-2009, 22:30
siege of vraks and the anphelion project books let you take red scorpions, theyre a lot of fun and the models are truly stunning compared to other marines but they do suffer from the "forgeworld = cheese" problem

i used to play red scorpions myself, people hated the fact my tactical squads could get FNP, now i play pure deathguard, nobody bats an eye lid, go figure

Archangel_Ruined
12-07-2009, 22:45
Big push on Black Templars, what they lack in rules and equipment they gain in, erm, rules and equipment! They're damn flexible, have some nifty rules and you can kit them for hacky slashy better than you can any other chapter. Their assault marines get melta bombs for 2pts each and 2 special weapons, that hurts...

carldooley
12-07-2009, 23:33
how about daemonhunters - and their Grey Knights?