PDA

View Full Version : ogres vs dragon ogres

Yakovs
12-07-2009, 22:18
i'm wondering what you people here at warseer think about dragon ogres and ogres and which comes out on top in a mounted army / footslogging army and which is most worth it's points.:)
these were the 2 units i had in mind. if these units aren't tooled best to complete their potential then please say

5 ogres
chaos armour
great weps
total 250

3dragon ogres
great weps
champ
total 251

nick_robinsonchia
12-07-2009, 22:35
4 ogres is about optimal. Mark of Khorne goes along way on them too. Id suggest dropping the champ and bumping the DO up to 4 aswell - if u plan on a character in the unit keep the champ. A nice little trick for dragon ogres is to take 4 with champ put a Nurgle BSB on barded steed in the middle of the unit with banner of rage. Up to 3 enemy models will have their weapon skill reduced often allowing two of the frenzied DO's (one of which the champion) to hit on 3's with strength 7. This unit will rip through damn near everything.

N

Avian
13-07-2009, 06:37
The two main things Ogres have got going for them are the option for a standard bearer / musician and Marks of Chaos.
Since you appear not to be interested in that, I would go for Dragon Ogres for their increased Movement, which is very handy.

I wouldn't bother with a Champion, though.

danny-d-b
13-07-2009, 06:46
I just think dragon ogers better than ogers in every sence

the S7 allows you to destory chariots and get that extra -1 on knights and other high save units that could make all the diffrence.

yep you can get marks on the ogers and better amour, but I'd have the dragon ogers anyday

plus it fitts my theam better

TroyJPerez
13-07-2009, 10:51
Dragon ogres are strength 7 or strength 5, already come with armour, and have 4 wounds. they are the best value in unit strength 3 models in the game.

Griffery
13-07-2009, 16:47
Personally I like Dragon Ogres alot more, both models and performance. They have 4 wounds which can be helpful because if your opponent gets 3 wounds, then use lose all of those attacks, while dragon ogres whould still have their attacks. Also I like the S7 attacks that they get. Lately, I have been thinking about using Ogres because they have command and they can be given marks, but I still don't like them all that much. I would rather take some chosen over some ogres as well.

Oberon
13-07-2009, 16:50
4 ogres is about optimal. Mark of Khorne goes along way on them too. Id suggest dropping the champ and bumping the DO up to 4 aswell - if u plan on a character in the unit keep the champ. A nice little trick for dragon ogres is to take 4 with champ put a Nurgle BSB on barded steed in the middle of the unit with banner of rage. Up to 3 enemy models will have their weapon skill reduced often allowing two of the frenzied DO's (one of which the champion) to hit on 3's with strength 7. This unit will rip through damn near everything.

N

Mark of nurgle does not work that way, it only reduces skills when the enemy targets someone while being in b2b with the marked model. So you are not helping yourself/others to hit, only hindering your enemy.

No champions in DOs, you can't destroy war altars with them anymore, and characters in general get much more survivable against them. 1 ogre is much more easier to beat/survive against, than 3 or 4.

Aranel
13-07-2009, 22:35
I'd go with DO's. They have a cooler background and are perhaps the hardest unit for their size in the game. They have great durabilty with an extra wound and a 4+ save and can really dish it out with WS4 and Str7. In addition, the extra point of movement is a massive help in many situations. I might be wrong but i think they also have a higher Ld than the ogres as well. Even though my luck with Dragon Ogres is now infamous in my club (Rubber Axe syndrome just doesn't cover it!), they are so awesome that its just impossible to leave them out!

danny-d-b
14-07-2009, 06:30
I'd go with DO's. They have a cooler background and are perhaps the hardest unit for their size in the game. They have great durabilty with an extra wound and a 5+ save and can really dish it out with WS4 and 4 Str7 or 5 Str 5 per DO . In addition, the extra point of movement is a massive help in many situations. I might be wrong but i think they also have a higher Ld than the ogres as well. Even though my luck with Dragon Ogres is now infamous in my club (Rubber Axe syndrome just doesn't cover it!), they are so awesome that its just impossible to leave them out!

added/ corrected some bits for you

Avian
14-07-2009, 06:54
Read your army book, danny, you are wrong in all your "corrections".

decker_cky
14-07-2009, 06:58
added/ corrected some bits for you

....everything you added there was wrong.

Scaly skin + light armour = 4+ save.
3 S7 or 4 S5 attacks.

Only other advantage that hasn't been mentioned is that they're a total pain for skaven to deal with. Oh, and +1 MV is a pretty huge advantage when it gives you an extra D6 to pursue.

danny-d-b
14-07-2009, 09:57
Read your army book, danny, you are wrong in all your "corrections".

....everything you added there was wrong.

Scaly skin + light armour = 4+ save.
3 S7 or 4 S5 attacks.

Only other advantage that hasn't been mentioned is that they're a total pain for skaven to deal with. Oh, and +1 MV is a pretty huge advantage when it gives you an extra D6 to pursue.

wow missed the light armour (and messed up the extra weapon)

sorry mate, looks like my dragon ogers are better than I thought

Oberon
14-07-2009, 17:26
Not to mention having 4 wounds, there has not been a single game where it didn't come as a surprise for the opponent (it sure surprised me when I first encountered them!), and it often messes up with their plans. The stat increases, STR MOV and W are very usefull, ogres have only a better command group and price (of models in $$$ or pts) going going for them. I've tried both, I like my 3 dogres better than my 3 mok-ogres (same save, same weapons, the others have musician and standard too), mainly for the added punch and keeping the pace with knights.