PDA

View Full Version : Making a General of the Empire on Griffon Work

Saviour
13-07-2009, 00:50
Hey guys,

I know that it's generally accepted that the General on Griffon is a complete waste of points but I don't want to fall into that trap of WAltar/Stank in my 2250 list so I wanted to put out some feelers to see how people have made this work in the past.

First of all, what would you recommend for his layout? The one I'm thinking of running at the moment is the 5+ Ward & MR(2) Talisman, Armour of Meteoric Iron, and Dragon Bow with Lance basically just to terror bomb & add some high-strength shots to my line, charging when necessary. The banner of Arcane Warding will go on my Greatswords with this setup to give my entire army rather good magic resistance.

Secondly, what role do you use him in? Is terror-bombing and flanking weak units pretty much the only use or with different equipment setups does he fulfil other roles?

Cheers in advance, looking forward to your opinions!

Peachtacular
13-07-2009, 01:45
It could work. Flying Terror is a potent weapon.

It is by no means optimal. You are spending lots of points for something that falls pretty easily to archer fire. You are also not capitalizing on perhaps the most important aspect of an Empire General - his leadership.

The best place for the general on griffon to be is in the rear/flank of a large enemy infantry unit. With a dragon, there is close to no fear of retaliation as T6 and a 3+ save is more than enough to stay alive against all but the most devastating units in the game. A griffon however, needs to be weary of anything with multiple attacks and/or str 4. Charging the rear of a unit saurus, swordmasters, black guard or chaos warriors could prove very dangerous.

If the enemy has minimal shooting, and low LD, you very well could fly around causing absolute havoc. However, I don't think this will happen very often.

I think you should try it out. It will be a challenge, and certainly something new. It will certainly prove much more powerful against some foes, like O+G's, and fail miserably against others...High Elves (ASF), Dark Elves (RBX), immune to psych armies....

Keller
13-07-2009, 16:58
I've taken a Griffon General from time to time, though I usually wait until 3K+ games when I have a second Lord to use so as not to rob my infantry of the Ld boost. They are fun, but very tricky to use.

I do reccommend, if you take a flying hero at all, give them the Doom Fire Ring. Flying lets you get into a position to send that 18" burning head where it will hurt the most, far better than the Dragon Bow, IMO.

Another good option for the Griffon General is to give him the Casket. Fly in close, terror-bomb, and steal a spell all in one fell swoop. Not only does it potentially give you another magic attack to unleash, it helps keep your general alive against magic too!

Shagrat
13-07-2009, 20:21
I use an Empire General on Griffon, even won a tourney with one.

From my memory, it was :

Empire General
Full Plate, Shield, VHS, Sword of +1S, Holy Relic(4+ ward), Griffon.

His job was hunt and kill the enemy general, and flank (or rear) charge any big enemy unit already engaged from the front.
I only lost him in one battle when he catched two cannonballs in the chest. One was ward-saved, the other...:cries: well the general died, but his griffon destroyed the cannon that killed his master, terrorized two other units and combo-charged many others, ending the game alive with a single wound left.

On the other games, he was never killed. Took a score of warmachines, defeated big blocks of infantry (with help from other units), and killed a Vampire Count and a Tomb Prince in challenges(easy task with the VHS:p).

The rest of the army was : (Dow was allowed in this tourney)

Asarnil the Dragon Lord
Scroll caddie
10 huntsmen
5 Vanilla Knights
5 White Wolf Vanilla Knights
25 Greatswords with 11 swordmen detachment
1 Great Cannon
1 Giant

Not your usual Empire army, isn't it?

grumbaki
13-07-2009, 20:32
God that is wrong! A dragon, griffon and a giant in an Empire army? Add that with some skirmishers, knights and a great cannon? I can't possibly think up a fluff justification, but I'm sure that it was a big surprise to your opponents.

Shagrat
13-07-2009, 20:51
God that is wrong! A dragon, griffon and a giant in an Empire army? Add that with some skirmishers, knights and a great cannon? I can't possibly think up a fluff justification, but I'm sure that it was a big surprise to your opponents.

Don't forget the 25 strong Greatswods! That unit killed anything that got in contact! Skeletons (VC and TK flavoured), Grave Guard, Spirit Hosts, Dire Wolves, Ogres, you name it.
They ended the tourney with the title Ogre Slayers!

It was Averland's finnest hour, sir.:)

skuller
13-07-2009, 21:57
I use an Empire General on Griffon, even won a tourney with one.

From my memory, it was :

Empire General
Full Plate, Shield, VHS, Sword of +1S, Holy Relic(4+ ward), Griffon.

His job was hunt and kill the enemy general, and flank (or rear) charge any big enemy unit already engaged from the front.
I only lost him in one battle when he catched two cannonballs in the chest. One was ward-saved, the other...:cries: well the general died, but his griffon destroyed the cannon that killed his master, terrorized two other units and combo-charged many others, ending the game alive with a single wound left.

On the other games, he was never killed. Took a score of warmachines, defeated big blocks of infantry (with help from other units), and killed a Vampire Count and a Tomb Prince in challenges(easy task with the VHS:p).

The rest of the army was : (Dow was allowed in this tourney)

Asarnil the Dragon Lord
Scroll caddie
10 huntsmen
5 Vanilla Knights
5 White Wolf Vanilla Knights
25 Greatswords with 11 swordmen detachment
1 Great Cannon
1 Giant

Not your usual Empire army, isn't it?

something yells at me that it was not your Empire General that won you the games but the combination of a Dragon, giant and maybe the EG :skull:

skuller
13-07-2009, 22:27
Double post hahaha

TacticalFirepower
14-07-2009, 02:30
Not all that easy to make one work, sadly, as a War Altar/Arch Lector is far better for the points. Get him stuck into enemy warmachines and missile units and he might do OK though. I'd stay away from all enemy block units unless we're talking about goblins- even if he charged the rear of a lot of units, making the combat all down to kills (+2 rear vs banner,outnumber) it might be quite difficult to win decisively and get the enemy running, expecially as the Griffon can die very quickly.

Laurels of victory could work alright through. Keep the Elector fighting WS4 stuff (or less) and you should get 2 hits, and hopefully 2 wounds that will impose enough of a modifier to the enemy's save to ensure they don't get one. That's 4 combat resolution after it's doubled, and perhaps the Griffon can get a kill or two as well, which should break most enemies from the rear (or flank), or add a decent bit of combat resolution to an ongoing fight (note that the laurels of victory doesn't affect the Griffon). You should probably get armour of meteoric iron too in this case.

Really though, if you're taking a Griffon, you need to build your army around it. There's no point crying that you lost your LD9 because your general is flying away, leaving your troops on LD7. Really, a Griffon should be accompanied by knights and steam tanks, maybe some pistoliers as well- units that can keep up with the Griffon and combo charge the enemy at the same time.

Havock
14-07-2009, 03:06
Lure the general into a bar.
Make sure he's passed twenty times to the warp and back.
Let Grand Master ride Griffon.
???
Profit!