PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the squats?

Stu
04-01-2006, 14:41
Perhaps it as already been said before yet i didn't find in the forum anything that explained what happened to the squats and why don't we hear anything else from them?Can anybody explain to me why they disapeared (both in and out game).
thks

DraXaus
04-01-2006, 14:56
Squat Homeworlds were attacked and devoured by the Tyranids.

And you can find the rest here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squats_%28Warhammer_40%2C000%29).

Sai-Lauren
04-01-2006, 15:01
I'm surprised, I couldn't actually see a pre-existing thread to link back to.

Short answer - Game: The tyrannids ate them.

Real Life: The designers couldn't figure out what to do with them, so rather than have pull someone off the general design team to devote some time to them, Heinz marines (57 flavours) were done instead. Some models were done, as a kind of fusion of 40k Squats and WFB Dwarves, which IMO was the wrong way to go (40k Trollslayers :wtf: ?), the really heavy artillery and massive vehicles of epic was a much better way.

There's allegations that the game answer was actually an off the cuff remark by one of the designers when someone asked for the nth time when they'd be coming out, and as a result Squat baiting the designers at Games Day seminars was some peoples idea of a good time for a while :rolleyes:, which probably decreased any chances of them coming back to below zero when the designers got sick of it.

Helicon_One
04-01-2006, 15:17
Short answer - Game: The tyrannids ate them.

Although GW have never seen fit to publish any fluff clearly stating as much, as far as I know. There's an ambiguous throwaway remark in the intro to Draco, and the area where the hive fleet (Leviathan?) showed up is vaguely in the Homeworlds region. But there's no short story telling us that they all got eaten (unsurprising, really, as that would involve acknowledging their former existence).

There's allegations that the game answer was actually an off the cuff remark by one of the designers when someone asked for the nth time when they'd be coming out

I'd heard that was the Jokaero, who were killed off live during a 40K Q&A at one of the Games Days after somebody asked one of the seniors (possibly Rick Priestly) about them for the 50th time ("What happened to the Jokaero?" "They're all dead, I just killed them."). But maybe I'm wrong on that one, or the Squats went that way too.

Hmm, if we got people to start asking the same question over and over again in 40K seminars about the Necrons and C'Tan we could get them erased from the game too? Its worth a trry....

Tim

Griefbringer
04-01-2006, 15:28
Even if the squat homeworlds got eaten by the tyranids, there would still be a bunch of chaos squat renegades left in the Eye of Terror!

DraXaus
04-01-2006, 15:38
It seems the tyranids are the perfect answer to killing off a race. If something doesn't sell or fit well in the game, they could just have the tyranids kill them off. couldn't they?

Easy E
04-01-2006, 16:40
You can get more detailed Squat History here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17957&highlight=reimagining

Keep in mind that some of it is fan made spin-offs, but the general history until the Time of Scourging is correct.

vforvenator
04-01-2006, 18:01
Even if the squat homeworlds got eaten by the tyranids, there would still be a bunch of chaos squat renegades left in the Eye of Terror!I've said that before an' I'll say it again. But it's long a mute point. A shame, but there you go. One day I shall do a Squat story for Stories and Art. With Zoats and Jokearo too, perhaps.

Helicon_One
04-01-2006, 21:50
It seems the tyranids are the perfect answer to killing off a race. If something doesn't sell or fit well in the game, they could just have the tyranids kill them off. couldn't they?

What happens if the Tyranids don't sell or fit? I suppose they could eat each other.

Tim

Griefbringer
04-01-2006, 22:17
Tyranids not fitting? They have only been around since the original RT rulebook came out, how could they not fit? It is like saying that zoats, squats, slann, jokaero or ambulls would not fit the game!

Minister
04-01-2006, 23:10
Ambuls remain in the fluff, it's simply that they're a wandering beastie (much like the Grox and many others) which, whilst threatening to a frontier town or an isolated individual don't make for much of a threat to an army.

Picture a wild and hungry bear, it's big, and a serious threat to you or me should either of us be too close. It's still a threat to a soldier if he doesn't know where it's coming from and lacks a good line of sight. Is it going to be a threat to the Black Watch in fairly open terrain? No. In fact it's going to leave as soon as it hears that many people (with the attendant equipment) coming.

Chaos 41
11-01-2006, 14:30
Tyranids are unfournatually the ascuse for the wipe out of the squats

Zink
11-01-2006, 14:58
They are currently assmbling a large armoured force in my basement to go kick some tyranid butt!!:evilgrin: Sorry couldn't help myself. I've got a bunch of my favourite models safely stashed and am assembling an armoured/mech force with the more IG looking models. I don't buy into the "they all got eaten" idea. I loved the rogue trader squats but didn't like the biker clans much.

Wolflord Havoc
11-01-2006, 15:25
Meanwhile back in the GW Thought Arbites department HQ

Ahh so its the old "What happened to the Squats" question eh?

Quick - contact our agents in Lisbon - we have a citizen who is in need of mind wiping.

Meanwhile back to my Indentured adepts terminal

Its my hope that the "Squats" will make a sort of "reinvented comeback" as the Demurig (sp?) and this time be their own race rather than stunted abhuman filth.

Norminator
11-01-2006, 17:18
If the Squats do come back in the form of the Demiurg, I hope FW get in on the act with some big old vehicles :evilgrin:

Ubik_Lives
11-01-2006, 17:51
Another squad death reference is in the Inquisitor rulebook. It doesn't mention the squads by name, but gives a brief mention of a diminutive humanoid race living near the galactic core that was wiped out by a Tyranid Hive Fleet.

Pretty much a reference to the squats for those of us who know about them, but just a tid-bit of random fluff for those who don't know about the biker dwarfs in space.

Latro_
11-01-2006, 18:50
They're waiting for a new codex!

great scott whats that pink thing in the skyz

sulla
11-01-2006, 20:36
Its my hope that the "Squats" will make a sort of "reinvented comeback" as the Demurig (sp?) and this time be their own race rather than stunted abhuman filth.
And therein lies the problem... we all claim to want squats back in the game, but not as human mutants, and not as fat bikers, and not named squats etc, etc... and they worked well in epic, but none of that could be translated to 40k because it relied on superheavies.

So there really wasn't a heck of a lot about the old army we did like. I liked exo suits (but not on trikes) and thudd guns (but not the name), and ancestor lords and their psychic cards (even though the 2nd ed list was hopelessly outdated by the time they came out), but not a lot else about them. They were another comedy race like orks lightening up the game and highlighting how backwards the imperium really was.

Easy E
11-01-2006, 22:00
Most of the things in 1st and 2nd edition and a hint of comedy.

The things I liked was they were a 'human empire" seperate from the Imperium. I liked exo-armor, comissar/tech-adept advisors, the idea of the stronghold and leagues, hatred of orks, Engineers Guild, and heavy fire power.

The fact that they used Bikes has been brought up many times. Was it the fact that they used bikes, or the fact that the models looked a bit comical?

I feel that Squats could fill an important niche in 40K. They could be a great "defensive" army. Their unit options and choices could reflect a preference for such combat. Many people will say that a "defensive" army will not work. Ask Lord Wellington (the historical figure) about how the defensive can be used to win battles.

Sai-Lauren
12-01-2006, 08:46
I've had a thought about how you could differentiate squat vehicles - making them tougher, without either going above armour 14 (marine players would be throwing their land raiders out of their prams), or going into superheavies.

Make opponents roll to penetrate twice.

So, for example, the Squat "Ancestor" heavy battle tank might have armour values of 14/12, 13/12 and 12/12 - with the opponent having to beat the first value, then the second. You could even say that the second level of armour is unaffected by any weapon special rules (melta, lance etc), and maybe if you only beat the first level, you only get a D3 result on the glancing hit table.

Make the vehicles quite expensive - say land raider price for a russ equivalent, and there you go.

The things I liked was they were a 'human empire" seperate from the Imperium. I liked exo-armor, comissar/tech-adept advisors, the idea of the stronghold and leagues, hatred of orks, Engineers Guild, and heavy fire power.

I personally thought that Exo-Armour looked just wrong - eggs on legs, and they're a little bit "The Imperium's got TDA, the Squats must have an equivalent". But otherwise, the basis of the Squats wasn't bad.

The fact that they used Bikes has been brought up many times. Was it the fact that they used bikes, or the fact that the models looked a bit comical?
Well, I think a lot of people think that they're "Hells Angels Dwarves", and the models were on big choppers and the most of the riders wore leathers - although there's a few in flak. Except the engineer guilds (which the bikers are supposed to be) are actually supposed to be outside of the strongholds and clans, and so would wear their own uniforms.

But, I think half the problem there is that it's people who've seen others say that the models looked bad, and havn't really gone back to look at them themselves - on the other side are people who've never seen any, never bought any, and probably wouldn't buy them if they were re-done, but want them back as some kind of "player power" thing.
I'll admit that the Squats probably don't look that good compared to some of the current ranges - most of the Sororitas for example, but I think that there's some in the range that still stand the test of time a lot better than some of the other figures released around them or even since (Striking Rabbits? Cortez?). I don't think the 2nd edition models, which were basically tech-ified WFB dwarves (including slayers :eek: ), would have worked either. But if given the full development treatment, they could become a very interesting army to play.

Zink
12-01-2006, 14:24
For the bikes there was a couple of different styles. I just sold off a bunch of my beer bellied, tank top wearing, chopper riding squats. But I kept some that look more like soldiers and ride more of a dirt birt style motorcycle. There are many decent looking squats, but I don't care for the latest 2nd ed. figs that much. The big problem seemed to be lack of focus on what they should be. I liked the guild fluff but not the models. I like the models that were IG abhuman variant. Something went wrong when they tried to seperate them from the Imperium. There's lots of other people out there who have better ideas than me for how to improve them.

Xisor
12-01-2006, 14:42
I'd love to see the Squats re-done properly. I'd love to see the Demiurg redone properly. I'd not like to see the Squats redone as the Demiurg.

True as it is though, the newest Jaq Draco compilation book details that the Squats were killed off by the Nids.

The Demiurg are truly seperate entitites though. The Squats died. The Demiurg persist. They are quite different.

Xisor

Easy E
13-01-2006, 01:03
Yes, they are very different. However, they are both attempts to import the "dwarf" archtype into 40K. The Squats were just a more obvious attempt than the Demiurg so far.

AgentZero
13-01-2006, 03:44
Perhaps it as already been said before yet i didn't find in the forum anything that explained what happened to the squats and why don't we hear anything else from them?Can anybody explain to me why they disapeared (both in and out game).
thks

Because they were entirely too powerful.
They were way cool, much cooler then the Space Marines.
No one could compare to the Squats.
So, they had to go, to save the 40k universe from the stunties.
The end:skull: