PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings, why not star wars.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
13-07-2009, 05:47
Has anyone else thought it might be a good idea to have a starwars tabletop game like lotr.
Id be interested to hear your take.

danny-d-b
13-07-2009, 06:32
think it would end up to much like 40 k with marrines (the empire) vs the guard (rebbels) with out the mass of tanks

zedeyejoe
13-07-2009, 06:54
I am sure that they are out there. I remember playing with Star Wars miniatures (unofficial) shortly after the first Star Wars film was released.

The Farmer
13-07-2009, 07:28
Don't WOTC hold the license or something. There is or was a starwars miniature game from WOTC but it was skirmish and based on d20.

silence
13-07-2009, 07:35
I have some 20mm Star Wars figures, but I used them mainly with the RPG. I believe that they can still be found on EvilBay

SylverClaw
13-07-2009, 07:43
Everyone would play Empire. Who the hell wants to play rebels when you can be stormtroopers?

Apart from the fact that white is really hard to paint...

Griefbringer
13-07-2009, 07:47
There is also the issue of the stormtrooper shooting accuracy.

More seriously, I have somewhere an old official Star Wars Miniature Game, published by West End Games once upon a time. They also had a lisence for Star Wars RPG and some board games.

Cypher
13-07-2009, 08:02
Don't WOTC hold the license or something. There is or was a starwars miniature game from WOTC but it was skirmish and based on d20.
Yep there's already a Star Wars miniature game made by WOTC.

WOTC are of course, owned by Hasbro, who basically have the monopoly on Star Wars "toys". Im sure you can see why GW wont be making a Star Wars game anytime soon...

Jedi152
13-07-2009, 08:16
I have some metal Star Wars figures from the early 90's, made by West End games.

Zenithfleet
13-07-2009, 11:01
Funny you should mention it... actually there are several Star Wars fan rulesets out there based on the Lord of the Rings SBG rules. I did a quick search and found an unfinished one here: http://foxwig.com/swsbg.aspx

...but I'm sure there are others.

In any case if GW were ever to somehow beg, borrow or steal the Star Wars rights from WoTC/Hasbro, they'd probably use rules similar to LotR rules. Heroes and their Might/Will/Fate points would work well for Jedi and heroic characters massacring hordes of stormtroopers:)

zedeyejoe
13-07-2009, 11:33
Everyone would play Empire. Who the hell wants to play rebels when you can be stormtroopers?

Yes I loved the stormtroopers in white armour. Despite the fact that it seemed to offer no protection whatsoever.

Whitehorn
13-07-2009, 11:36
It would perhaps be a bit naff to set it in the 'Episode 4-6' era. The Clone Wars and previous chapters would make for some interesting armies and ranges and actually allow Jedi Knights.. :)

Jedi152
13-07-2009, 11:46
The problem being, of course, that clones and Jedi knights are incredibly cool, and would suddenly become the new Space Marines.

There aren't many Sith around to oppose them, and CIS droids are fairly dull, so many battles would end up as clones vs. clones or jedi vs. jedi.

I should know, i've got an official* Jedi username.

*Username is in no way official.

DDogwood
13-07-2009, 13:03
More seriously, I have somewhere an old official Star Wars Miniature Game, published by West End Games once upon a time. They also had a lisence for Star Wars RPG and some board games.

I used to have a copy of the WEG Star Wars Miniatures Battles game. It came out in 1991, I think, and was based loosely on the d6 system that they developed for their Star Wars and Ghostbusters RPGs. It was an OK sytem (it won the Origins award for "Best Miniatures Rules" the year it came out) but it was definitely skirmish-based. There was a line of figures for it, too, in true 25mm scale, sold in box sets of (I think) 8 miniatures. The boxes weren't very practical, IIRC, because you would have to buy several Darth Vaders to get a decent number of Stormtroopers.

There was a line of Micro Machines Star Wars toys that came out not long after that, including sets of figures that were roughly 15mm scale. Because you could buy a pack of just Stormtroopers, just Rebel soldiers, and so on, and because they were cheaper than the WEG minis, we just used those for the minis game instead.

WotC still owns the license to make gaming miniatures based on Star Wars, and as Cypher said, they're not likely to give up the rights anytime soon.

It's worth noting that the Space Marines were changed in the early 1990s to look more like Stormtroopers - the original plastic Space Marine box had the "beaky" helmets.

Griefbringer
13-07-2009, 13:19
I used to have a copy of the WEG Star Wars Miniatures Battles game. It came out in 1991, I think, and was based loosely on the d6 system that they developed for their Star Wars and Ghostbusters RPGs. It was an OK sytem (it won the Origins award for "Best Miniatures Rules" the year it came out) but it was definitely skirmish-based. There was a line of figures for it, too, in true 25mm scale, sold in box sets of (I think) 8 miniatures. The boxes weren't very practical, IIRC, because you would have to buy several Darth Vaders to get a decent number of Stormtroopers.

Would these have been the miniature line from Grenadier?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/west-end-games/star-wars.html

spetswalshe
13-07-2009, 13:55
I personally would play Ewoks. They seem to know how to get things done.

Jedi152
13-07-2009, 13:59

My WEG miniatures are in there, some generic rebel troopers and Endor scouts.

DDogwood
13-07-2009, 17:07

Yep, those are the ones - but I never saw the blister packs in any of the gaming stores in town. This was back in the days before most people had internet access, so we usually only knew what was on the LGS shelves or in the magazines, if you happened to buy the magazines (I only bought Autoduel Quarterly, so I missed out on a lot of stuff).

Temprus
13-07-2009, 19:31
Kenner made a line of 25mm sized plastic playsets and vehicles with metal minis for ANH and ESB (if I remember right, the RoJ ones were previewed but never released). They were prepainted of course since they were toys.

Whenever someone brings up a rumor of Hasbro buying GW, the LotR based SW game normally gets mentioned as a wanted product.

Maidel
13-07-2009, 19:42
Whenever someone brings up a rumor of Hasbro buying GW, the LotR based SW game normally gets mentioned as a wanted product.

That would offically be the end of my interrest in GW products.

If WOTC did to 40K what they did to D&D - I would be forced to start a proper letter bomb campaign. They butchered that game beyond all recognition.

loveless
13-07-2009, 19:50
As much as I dislike Episodes 1-3, I would actually play the CIS/droid army...it was one of the few things I liked about those episodes :p. This of course assumes that they'd come in multi-part unpainted plastic kits and were supported by a non sucktacular rule set.

Ha! Good luck with that one!

Verm1s
14-07-2009, 00:27
If WOTC did to 40K what they did to D&D... They butchered that game beyond all recognition.

I fail to see your point. :p

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
14-07-2009, 01:40
I personally would play Ewoks. They seem to know how to get things done.

You see this is what I would make it.
Not just CIS vs Republic and Empire vs Rebels.
That would be crap.
Expand on the whole range.
Mandalorians, Collicoids, Wookies, Black Sun, Hutt Mercenary Armies, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Gungans, Yuuzhan Vong, Empire Warlords, Massassi, Bounty Hunters would be like Assassins, Dathomir Rancor Armies, Droid Rebels,LOL
You could have a couple of Gonk Droids waddling around the field which combust in nuclear explosions.
Gosh what else is their, Geonosians, Wampa Hordes, Anzati, etc.
There is just so much more to Star Wars then the movies and could make some breathtaking armies.

ehlijen
14-07-2009, 02:45
Someone else has the rights to star wars. Lucas is too tightly wound when it comes to controlling what happens with his licence to allow GW the freedom it likes when designing their codices. When it comes to ground combat strategy, star was has had a poor history in games (SW:Force Commander, SW:Galactic Battlegrounds). People seem to insist that LotR wasn't a good idea, so how could another big movie licence be. It would make a 4th core game when 3 are pushing their store shelf spaces to the limit. The new star wars movies where miles away from the LotR ones in quality (despite the wave of radioctive ghosts washing over gondor!) and GW prefers to associate with the better movies?

There's plenty of reasons. Some good, some not, but it all amounts to GW:SW not happening.

DDogwood
14-07-2009, 03:55
If WOTC did to 40K what they did to D&D - I would be forced to start a proper letter bomb campaign. They butchered that game beyond all recognition.

Interesting. If someone did to 40k what WotC did to D&D with 4th Ed, I would start playing 40k again. D&D4e got me back into D&D after the hideous torment that was 3.x.

Different strokes, I guess.

ehlijen
14-07-2009, 07:10
Interesting. If someone did to 40k what WotC did to D&D with 4th Ed, I would start playing 40k again. D&D4e got me back into D&D after the hideous torment that was 3.x.

Different strokes maybe, but generally speaking, switching target audiences with every new edition never helps a gaming company.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
14-07-2009, 10:23
Please keep on topic.
We arent talking about D&D's.
Just Star Wars.

venus_redscar
14-07-2009, 18:24
I bought some SW minies from Hasbro ...WoTC. They were alright. The soft plastic would always bend and was impossible to get to stay at the right shape.

The Large figures were the best. I still have a Rancor sitting around somewhere. And the AT AT.

Other than that, the blister system got old fast. I'm not 12 anymore. I just want the toys not a roulette game and 20 untradable "rares."

As a true collector, I only played a few games. It was alright. Nothing thrilling. Just made me want to bought up a video game.

chaos0xomega
14-07-2009, 18:58
You see this is what I would make it.
Not just CIS vs Republic and Empire vs Rebels.
That would be crap.
Expand on the whole range.
Mandalorians, Collicoids, Wookies, Black Sun, Hutt Mercenary Armies, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Gungans, Yuuzhan Vong, Empire Warlords, Massassi, Bounty Hunters would be like Assassins, Dathomir Rancor Armies, Droid Rebels,LOL
You could have a couple of Gonk Droids waddling around the field which combust in nuclear explosions.
Gosh what else is their, Geonosians, Wampa Hordes, Anzati, etc.
There is just so much more to Star Wars then the movies and could make some breathtaking armies.

The problem is that most of these forces existed at different points in time, and you would be hard pressed to explain why Mandolorians, the Massassi, or even Black Sun was fighting the Yuuzhan Vong.
Likewise, many of these forces lack similar capability. Ignoring time periods, the Vong/Empire/Old Republic/CIS/Mandolorians and to a lesser extent the rebels would all be operating at a similar level with similar capability (AFVs, APCs, etc.) but then you got stuff like the Gungans, Tusken Raiders, Wampa Hordes, Geonoisans, etc. who aren't sufficiently equipped to put up a realistic fight against them.

If anything a Star Wars miniatures game should be based off of battlefleet gothic (okay, bad example, but you get my point, star wars naval combat>ground combat).

Maidel
14-07-2009, 19:14

Without vearing this massively off topic...

1, 2 and 3rd editions all were comutable between editions - ive had characters played since the 80's that started in 1st edition and slowly morphed into 3rd edition without barely any issues.

4th edition might as well have been a new game - they even admit that you cant convert characters from 3rd to 4th.

For 40K its like the difference between the original epic game and the one they released with all the blastmarkers that killed the game off in a year.

It wasnt a bad game, infact, people have said it is probably the purest tactical game that GW has ever produced - however it had nothing in common with the previous game other than it used small models and thats what I think killed it - it wanted a different audience at the expense of the old audience.

N810
14-07-2009, 19:37
Uhhhh....
you mean this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Miniatures

it's beeen around for 5 years now.
and it uses D20's :eek:

phoenixlaw
14-07-2009, 19:43
The problem is that most of these forces existed at different points in time, and you would be hard pressed to explain why Mandolorians, the Massassi, or even Black Sun was fighting the Yuuzhan Vong.
Likewise, many of these forces lack similar capability. Ignoring time periods, the Vong/Empire/Old Republic/CIS/Mandolorians and to a lesser extent the rebels would all be operating at a similar level with similar capability (AFVs, APCs, etc.) but then you got stuff like the Gungans, Tusken Raiders, Wampa Hordes, Geonoisans, etc. who aren't sufficiently equipped to put up a realistic fight against them.

If anything a Star Wars miniatures game should be based off of battlefleet gothic (okay, bad example, but you get my point, star wars naval combat>ground combat).

Mandalorians did fight against the Vong though.

chaos0xomega
14-07-2009, 20:03
I havent finished reading the NJO story arc yet, but how is that even possible? Mandalorians havent been a threat since the Sith Wars?

DDogwood
14-07-2009, 21:32
4th edition might as well have been a new game - they even admit that you cant convert characters from 3rd to 4th.

Funny that they posted a series of articles explaining how to convert characters, then.

however it had nothing in common with the previous game other than it used small models and thats what I think killed it - it wanted a different audience at the expense of the old audience.

I disagree, most Epic players I knew LOVED the new version. They just couldn't recruit any new players because so much of the Epic line was out of production. GW killed the game through lack of support, not rules changes.

3rd Ed. 40k was a massive change from 2nd Ed and Rogue Trader, in some ways a bigger change than Rogue Trader was from Fantasy Battles. It turned off a huge part of the core audience for 40k, yet there are still plenty of 40k players.

Condottiere
14-07-2009, 21:40
I think if this happened, the miniatures would certainly be interesting, especially Imperial vehicles. I suspect that long term interest would be longer maintained than that of LotR.

Seems unlikely that we could pose the characters to our taste, though attempting to make a replica of Leia harem outfit would be a suitable challenge.

Maidel
14-07-2009, 21:43
Funny that they posted a series of articles explaining how to convert characters, then.

Yes they did - and I have them all - and most of them said 'there isnt a direct equivalent' for pretty much every special rule and magic item.

I disagree, most Epic players I knew LOVED the new version. They just couldn't recruit any new players because so much of the Epic line was out of production. GW killed the game through lack of support, not rules changes.

Well most of the people I played with loved the card version - the entire game changed - I liked the game - but I wanted an updated version, not a new game.

chromedog
14-07-2009, 23:57
GW aren't in the same league as Hasbro when it comes to tendering a bid for the SW licence. They can't afford the bidding process (and hasbro does have a loong history with LFL product licencing).

They only got the LOTR licence because of Peter Jackson, and the Perry twins stipulations.

I can't see them doing anything good for the SW licence, myself.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
15-07-2009, 03:22
I realise that time lines can be an issue and certain armies would not verse others or just not exist in that time period however for each era their are plenty of choices.
Just a couple for each era.
Old Republic:
Sith
Jedi
Mandalorians
Republic
CIS
Trade Federation
"IN fact all of the CIS members have their own unique armies"
Techno Union has Octuperra Droids, Commerce Guild has alot of spider droids, Banking Clan has awesome Hellfire Droids".

Empire:
Empire
Rebels
Bothan Spies
Jabbas Mercenaries
Black Sun

New Republic:
Empire Warlords
New Republic
The New Emperor
New Jedi Order
Yuzhan Vong

I just think it would be a great game. If they did it right that is.

Sorry my point was that though some armies would be restricted to fighting certain armies in each era their are plenty of forces to choos.
In the case of some armies however all you have to do is be inventive.
For example a Yuzhan Vong scouting party infiltrates the Old Republic testing their defence systems.
A CIS survivor wanting revenge on the republic wages war against the new republic like that geonosian in star wars battlefront 2.
A group of rebels believe that the New Republic will only lead to a new empire and will sacrifice their lives to prevent this from happening.
It just takes some imagination to make it work.

chaos0xomega
15-07-2009, 03:34
im inclined to disagree with bloodyfistofkhaine (especially since the old republic and new republic forces he listed still suffer from the whole time period issue). the only way I can see a star wars miniatures game working is either LotR skirmish style ruleset (Vader + 20 stormtroopers vs. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and 10 Rebel troopers), or a FoW style system (with no/limited representation of characters). I dont see a 40k style system ever working, mainly because 90% of forces would have identical statlines and weapon options, which would basically be the equivalent of playing guard v. guard games...

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
15-07-2009, 03:35
Uhhhh....
you mean this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Miniatures

it's beeen around for 5 years now.
and it uses D20's :eek:

By the way N810 Im fully aware of this game.
I dont think it what im talking about.
I mean a game system like the LOTR or warhammer 40k, not walking on squares.
I want plastic poseable miniatures, customising, freedom to play whatever kind of battle i want.

N810
15-07-2009, 03:45
By the way N810 Im fully aware of this game...
well I only heard of it vaguely last month....

you could try one of these free sets of rules...
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/index.php?page=sci-fi

(Exert from the link)

Star Wars Galactic Heroes
A simple tabletop game for Star Wars action figures. Report Problem

Star Wars - Silent Death
Erik A. Dewey's article "Get to Your Ships" in issue 5 of Star Wars Gamer lets you play the Star Wars Silent Death ship-to-ship combat game in the Rise of the Empire era. Report Problem

Star Wars Mass Combat Rules
These rules represent an attempt to provide structure to large-scale combats that may occur within a Star Wars RPG scenario. Report Problem

Star Wars Miniatures Mass Battles Conversion
These rules are not meant to be a wargame/simulator, but a way to play large battles using the established Wizards Star Wars Miniatures system. Report Problem

Star Wars Shoot Out
Simple Star Wars game. Report Problem

Star Wars Showdown
A conversion for the Savage Worlds Skirmish Rules for the Star Wars Universe. Report Problem

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
15-07-2009, 09:15
On the subject if it was a game what sought of army would you like.
I love evertything in star wars but Id have to say I love the CIS.
An army of droids of all shapes and sizes ready to crush all in its path.

Ialso would like a tribal army of, oh gosh a cant think what their called, Amanami, they roll up to move and their worms, they are so cool.:D

Condottiere
15-07-2009, 10:04
The Phantom Menace battles are played for laughs, it's like Necrons get a personality (and equipped with the lowest bid on military contracts) and Lizardmen, unburdened with following ancient arcane plans.

Ben
15-07-2009, 23:12
There are rules for Star Wars battlefield evolution, just have a hunt around on the Mongoose publishing forum.

Great fun. The problem is buying enough stormtroopers, as you want a full platoon.

the_reaper
15-07-2009, 23:39
Maybe they haven't done Star Wars because no-one cares anymore?

LoTR was something to go with the films when they were released in the cinema, it was something everyone was talking about, blah blah. SW wouldn't do GW any favours.

In order for the system to be any good, it would have to have several races, many of which most people wont have heard of, as they know absolutely no backstory.

GW would be awash with 7 year olds playing as either The Empire or Gungans, and it's the 2nd one that scares me the most.

-reaper

Vermin-thing
16-07-2009, 05:52
Two words: Jedi hammer. :D

All I know of is the prepainted starwars board game. It's on the lines of the D&D prepainted stuff. I'v got a box full of minis, just sitting there eating dust. It was fun for a bit, but then...

genestealer_baldric
16-07-2009, 09:28
LOTR was a b***dy stupid thing to do in the 1st place and If star wars happend , i would hope whoever OK's the ideas at HQ would shuffle of the end his mortley coil.

Vermin-thing
16-07-2009, 09:47
Ah heck if their going to do SW, they might as well do Star Trek aswell. ;)
Red shirts Vs Klingons. :D :angel:

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
16-07-2009, 10:09
Maybe they haven't done Star Wars because no-one cares anymore?

LoTR was something to go with the films when they were released in the cinema, it was something everyone was talking about, blah blah. SW wouldn't do GW any favours.

I think Star Wars could do better than LOTR. LOTR is suffocatingly restrictive, you know, all the races are pretty one dimensinal, everyone whose good wants to stop Sauron and everyone whose bad hates the Free people.

In order for the system to be any good, it would have to have several races, many of which most people wont have heard of, as they know absolutely no backstory.

Thats what army books are for.:p

GW would be awash with 7 year olds playing as either The Empire or Gungans, and it's the 2nd one that scares me the most.

-reaper

Star wars has a very rich background that can be expanded with a little imagination, of course they couldnt be history changing events because Star Wars history is pretty solid.

I apoligise Reaper for the poor quality of the quote I just posted, god its all over the place and I didnt do it right.
Sorry to make it look like Im putting words you didnt say:)

Erethor
16-07-2009, 12:24
...LOTR was a b***dy stupid thing to do in the 1st place...

Wow. I have never seen a post more wrong than this...

Fenrir
16-07-2009, 12:29
Wow. I have never seen a post more wrong than this...

I agree.

I'm not a fan of LotR in book, film or game form, but GW made an absolute killing on it.

genestealer_baldric
16-07-2009, 12:56
ah let me explain my point of view.

i love the books and the movies, but it was a typical case of company cashing in on hype, granted it was great for GW bank balance but i hate this modern trend of selling out. I dont like the game/models and out of many many many gamers i know who collected and played none still play or collect and in my local store they sell almost nothing of it because no one likes it.

The fact the lucas cant leave his orginal ideas alone without more games, luchboxes etc it realy shouldnt spread into gw games.

**end rant**

if you like starwars etc then fairplay, i do but i dont like they way its being made so superfical and comericalised is doing nothing but harm.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
16-07-2009, 13:15
I must say alot of those LOTR models look so ugly and the fact that you cant customise them is very restrictive.
Who else thought the Morrannon Orcs looked like crap.

Erethor
16-07-2009, 15:10
@ genestealer_baldric: I gotta say that in my area, there's quite a few LOTR players. Personally though, I don't feel it was a "sell out". I love the system and think it's one of the best I've seen. But, apples to oranges as they say.

@ TheBloodyFistOfKhaine: Please don't turn the thread into a LOTR bash. We LOTR fans get enough flak for not exclusively playing "OMGZ SPACE MARIENZ!!!1" as is. (though, I actually do play Ultramarines :p , but not the point)

I think that a skirmish Star Wars mini game would be a great idea if done correctly, but it has several flaws working against it (license aquisition aside):

GW would have a hell of a time advertising a Star Wars mini game to mainstream, unlike 40k (dawn of war) and fantasy (WAR), simply due to the fact that many people haven't seen 40k/WFB before so it's new and fresh. But everybody's seen STAR WARS! (and if you haven't, shame on you). So it's going to be the same old stuff people have seen dozens of times.

Also, the system would have to make provisions for mass battles like Hoth. And ship combat is VERY important to the Star Wars background, more so than 40k. Trying to combine those elements without spreading them across multiple systems seems like it would be hell.

Thoughts?

Coragus
16-07-2009, 15:16
Who the hell wants to play rebels when you can be stormtroopers?

Who the hell wants to play Imperial Guard when you can be Space Marines? Same logic, right?

AndrewGPaul
16-07-2009, 16:18
I must say alot of those LOTR models look so ugly and the fact that you cant customise them is very restrictive.
Who else thought the Morrannon Orcs looked like crap.

Does someone come round your house and beat you when you try to convert LotR minis, or something? :)

Am I the only one who's sick of bl**dy clonetroopers? A minis game with stormtroopers and Imperial Army (not the same thing) fighting Rebel Allience soldiers would look much cooler. If you need extra factions or minis types, there's the Rebel Marines from ep4, arctic troops from ep5,the jungle troops from ep6, and that's just troops equipped by the Alliance. You can also have Alderaanian soldiers, various nonhuman armies and pirates/fringers/scum.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
17-07-2009, 00:24
@ genestealer_baldric:

@ TheBloodyFistOfKhaine: Please don't turn the thread into a LOTR bash. We LOTR fans get enough flak for not exclusively playing "OMGZ SPACE MARIENZ!!!1" as is. (though, I actually do play Ultramarines :p , but not the point)

Thoughts?

Hold on I never said it was a bad game, ive even thought about playing it.
I do believe its the most restrictive game of the 3 but i actually love lotr.
Sorry about the orc comment but i do think they look lazy as with a couple of other minis, but that can be said for all the games.
I dont want to talk about lotr though im here to talk about a star wars game.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
17-07-2009, 00:28
Does someone come round your house and beat you when you try to convert LotR minis, or something? :)

LOL no, ill admit im pretty lazy and when ive tried they have come out god awful "sorry i havnt played the game but i bought a bunch of goblins, tried converting them and it was soooo hard.
I would prefer multi part plastic kits rather then set models with holes to put your weapons in.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
17-07-2009, 00:30

Am I the only one who's sick of bl**dy clonetroopers? A minis game with stormtroopers and Imperial Army (not the same thing) fighting Rebel Allience soldiers would look much cooler. If you need extra factions or minis types, there's the Rebel Marines from ep4, arctic troops from ep5,the jungle troops from ep6, and that's just troops equipped by the Alliance. You can also have Alderaanian soldiers, various nonhuman armies and pirates/fringers/scum.

By the way whats wrong with clone troopers, their awesome.

parus_ater
17-07-2009, 01:49
Star wars?! Isn't that a children's film? :confused: :angel:

genestealer_baldric
17-07-2009, 07:39
If you play it the fairplay iam just saying for me i dont like it, but iam not going to bash anyone for liking it.

in revenge of the sith you allready have tau and kroot so they are allready in there.

Marneus_Calgar81
17-07-2009, 08:39
There´s now an spanish miniarure maker called Knight models, doing High Quality 54 mm miniatures of Star Wars, not for plating now but who knows...

http://www.knightmodels.com/starwars.html

They´ve shown greens of Luke with Yoda at his back and for Han Solo in his cantina moment with Greedo

Darthvegeta800
17-07-2009, 09:55
Someone else has the rights to star wars. Lucas is too tightly wound when it comes to controlling what happens with his licence to allow GW the freedom it likes when designing their codices. When it comes to ground combat strategy, star was has had a poor history in games (SW:Force Commander, SW:Galactic Battlegrounds). People seem to insist that LotR wasn't a good idea, so how could another big movie licence be. It would make a 4th core game when 3 are pushing their store shelf spaces to the limit. The new star wars movies where miles away from the LotR ones in quality (despite the wave of radioctive ghosts washing over gondor!) and GW prefers to associate with the better movies?

There's plenty of reasons. Some good, some not, but it all amounts to GW:SW not happening.

Well FC was not 'too' bad. But could have been far better. Lucasarts has the annoying tendency to release either instant classics or average games. SW Rebellion, Empire at War, Jedi Knight and especially Knights of the Old Republic or Tie Fighter were great games.

Personally i think the SW RtS was on the right track with Empire at War it just needed to expand upon groundcombat and improve the A.I. (quite a few great mods are out there like Ultimate Empire At War)

An SW Wargame on a grand scale or skirmish scale would be fun. Especially with campaign rules. I'd try it. I tried the WotC game but one just can't keep up with it plus a lot of minis are subpar in quality with annoying bendy lightsabers for one.
But decent plastic or metal minis... I'd love it!

scarletsquig
18-07-2009, 09:30
If they take on another licence, I'd much rather see a Star Trek spaceship game.

Sure, it'd compete with BFG, but it's not a core game, so no major problem.

The nerd base for it is also a lot more numerous. R&D would be a cakewalk with the thousands of different ship designs for dozens of races already documented in incredible detail.

The new film had a really enjoyable 5-10 minutes of space combat amongst all the dull character development and "comedy moments", so I'm sure people would be really interested in it.

Pokpoko
18-07-2009, 10:32
If they take on another licence, I'd much rather see a Star Trek spaceship game.
because there AREN'T enough star trek games already?:p

parus_ater
18-07-2009, 12:50

And hasn't lucas got enough money already from his children's films?

Condottiere
18-07-2009, 12:50
I'm not sure about Star Trek, how's shooting Phasers and Photon Torpedoes interesting?

parus_ater
18-07-2009, 12:53
....and bolters and lascannons.... :rolleyes:

Griefbringer
18-07-2009, 14:55

Does Star Fleet Battles also count?

Raellos
18-07-2009, 15:14
i love the books and the movies, but it was a typical case of company cashing in on hype, granted it was great for GW bank balance but i hate this modern trend of selling out..

Yeah, dude. Don't buy into this corporate culture. It's like, we're all people you know. But were like part of the same thing, like a part of mother nature. Because you know, Druchii are elves too.

Selling out? WTF?

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
19-07-2009, 10:19
Come now people lets not go off topic.
Eyes on target, do you think it would be a good idea or not.

zedeyejoe
19-07-2009, 10:57
I like Star Wars films, I don't know if I would like Star War games. Super heroes destroying whole armies of normal guys, have tried it and don't like it.

Also the costs of licensing a commercial product make for an unwise investment for a game system.

Jedi152
19-07-2009, 11:22
I'd expect a Harry Potter game more than a Star Wars one, and that 'aint gonna happen.

genestealer_baldric
19-07-2009, 17:40
Yeah, dude. Don't buy into this corporate culture. It's like, we're all people you know. But were like part of the same thing, like a part of mother nature. Because you know, Druchii are elves too.

Selling out? WTF?

ha ha thats unusall i dont think that i ever been though of as a hippy before, kudos.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
20-07-2009, 01:43
Its been said that space battles are a particuarly important aspect of sw's and i couldnt agree more.
Battle fleet gothic with star wars ships would be cool.

Raellos
21-07-2009, 11:39
ha ha thats unusall i dont think that i ever been though of as a hippy before, kudos.

It was just the selling out thing, made me think of a hippie. Which made me think of the Dude, but that's understandable.

Oh, and for those wanting Star Wars BFG, a more traditional Military Sci-Fi feel would probably go some way to satiating that. Plus this gear is cheap.

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?page=ft-fp.html

Damn those assault carriers look cool.

Snoopy100
25-07-2009, 06:16
Id like a Sith Army.