PDA

View Full Version : Tau or Necrons for planetstrike? whats your opinion

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 10:37
READ THIS FIRST

Hi guys I was trying to decide which army to do a planetstrike attack force for. I've narrowed the list down to necrons and tau. To give you an idea of what i would like in the armies ill give you an army list for each army, but i have no idea of point or equipment and weapons yet.

Tau-2005

HQ-708

SHAS'O R'MYR'S BATTLESUIT-160
2x shield drones-30
2x xv89 crisis battlesuits-70?
Plasma rifle-20
Fusion blaster-12
Missile pod-12
Plasma rifle-20
2x shield generator-40
2x hardwired multi-tracker-10
Commander farsight-170
2x xv8 crisis battlesuits-70
Burst cannon-8
Flamer-4
Air fragmentation projector-20
Missile pod-12
2x shield generator-40
2x hardwired multi-tracker-10

Elites -917

3 xv8 shas’vre crisis battlesuit team-105
Team leader-5
Fusion blaster-12
Fusion blaster-18
Plasma rifle-20
Plasma rifle-30
Missile pod-12
Missile pod-18
3x targeting array-30
Hardwired target lock-5
Team leader-5
Flamer-4
Burst cannon-8
Burst cannon-8
Missile pod-12
Burst cannon-8
Fusion blaster-12
2x multi-tracker-10
1x target array-10
1xhardwired multi-tracker-5
Team leader-5
Plasma rifle-20
Missile pod-12
Plasma rifle-20
Fusion blaster-12
Missile pod-12
Burst cannon-8
2x multi-tracker-10
1x target array-10
1xhardwired multi-tracker-5
6 shas’ui stealth team-180
2x fusion blaster-4
Team leader-5
Marker light-10
6x target array-60
Hardwired target lock-5

Fast attack-120

4 pathfinder team-40
devilfish troop transport-80

Heavy support-260

3x XV88-2 BROADSIDE-210
Team leader-5
Plasma rifles-20
2x multi-tracker-10
Targeting array-10
Hardwired multi-tracker-5

Necrons

c'tan nightbringer

c'tan deciever

destroyer lord warsycthe resurrection orb

2x pariahs

2x immortals

2x flayed ones

1x wraiths 3 strong

1x necron destroyer 5 strong

1x heavy destroyer 3 strong

1x monolith

1x tomb spyder

which do you think would work best, what equipment and weapons would you give and would you make any changes to the army list

thanks in advance

Kaboof76
13-07-2009, 11:40
You can only have one ctan in a necron army list! I personally have played the necrons for years now, and have to decided to boycott playing them until they get a new dex! The Monolith has become a better vehicle in 5th edition, but guass weapons got poned! Which officially makes Necrons the worst army in the game!

Lotoc_Sabbath
13-07-2009, 11:42
You can only have one ctan in a necron army list! I personally have played the necrons for years now, and have to decided to boycott playing them until they get a new dex! The Monolith has become a better vehicle in 5th edition, but guass weapons got poned! Which officially makes Necrons the worst army in the game!

completely right, equal, i have been playing necrons for 5 years and with the 5th ed. now i play IG and they are just fantastic!!!

anyway use tau they are good

Lord Damocles
13-07-2009, 11:49
The Necron pseudo-list is illegal on 2 counts (C'tan and Pariahs), and would be a poor list even if it wasn't.

A bit of fiddling and you could make a [vaguely similar] reasonable list though. You'd be better off sticking to either Immortals or Destoyers for WBB purposes, and including some Warriors to bump up your phase out number (having a lower number can be beneficial, but if you're deploying close in to the enemy, the chances of your small units getting swept and rapidly bringing you closer to phase out are high).

Maybe something like:

Nightbringer 360

5 Flayed Ones 90
6 Flayed Ones 108

10 Warriors 180
10 warriors 180

4 destroyers 200
4 Destroyers 200
10 Scarabs 120

Tomb Spyder 55

Just under 1500pts

Not the best list I've ever written, but played agressively from the outset, it might be reasonable.

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 12:03
thanks people i might have forgot to mention I have neither codexies but thanks for the help guys

Killboy777
13-07-2009, 12:05
On the tau list, you can't give commander Shadowsun Crisis bodyguards.

And as far as i know, the XV81, XV84 and XV 89 are 0-1 choices that can only be taken as a commander's suit, or a bodyguard for R'Myr.
(Thats from IA3 but not sure if those rules got updated)

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 12:08
thanks for that i wasnt quite sure of how i could include those battlesuits

Captain Micha
13-07-2009, 14:45
Well you are asking which gimped army do you think will play better. Good news is that Planet Strike is much better for both of these armies than Standard Vanilla K.

I would say your Tau list is much better than your Necron list.

Your Cron list is illegal, though Pariah and C'tan are both 01s.

I would ditch the Failed Ones as well though they are probably better in PS they still have one big big problem. They just don't have the punching power. Sure they can assault after DS.. but they lack the attack characteristics of a good assault unit.

Though ditching the illegal C'tan and Illegal Pariah choice will fix alot of points back. Taking Pariah might not be bad in PS because they Can Deep strike, and use their Leadership bubble to help the Flayed Ones.. (if the Flayed ones some how win combat....)

My own list would look something like this.

Necron Lord, Veil, Orb, Scythe.

Necron Lord, Destroyer Body, Lightning field, Orb Scythe.

In any case really I wouldn't waste the time on a C'tan except -maybe- the Nightbringer...

Elites

Immortals 10.

Immortals 10

Immortals 10

Fast Attack

10 Scarabs give em D fields if you want, personally I feel the D field is kinda worthless.

3 Wraith

3 Wraith 123

5 Destroyers

Monolith

If you've points left over you can take some Flayed Ones or perhaps a second monolith. Preferably both. Remember if you go with Flayed Ones they can assault the turn they come in. (and you should gauging on the Pariah squads being 360 each....) I'm not sure how your opponent plays planet strike, but when I play Defense, I hide my guys in buildings. This is why you don't see an over abundance of Flayed ones here as well.

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 14:50
just borrowed friends tau codex and i made a finalized tau army list will be in first post

Captain Micha
13-07-2009, 14:52
Happy hunting.

I take it you are playing Offense?

what are your suits armed with? Mind if I make a suggestion?

Make one team a dedicated building popper squad. Give them Melta and Pods. (in general I say go with Pods as a secondary weapon system wherever possible)

and find some points for some Pathfinders. You'll love markerlights. Trust me they are essential to the Tau list (actually I don't know anyone that wins without them). Bs5 Crisis suits, and the enemy not getting any cover save is a very realistic possibility in PS because of the one tau stratagem that increases infantry BS by 1.

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 15:36
all the weapons and equipment is listed

Captain Micha
13-07-2009, 15:45
Very nice. It's a good well rounded army. So it should perform well. Especially with that Firestorm you get at the start of the game :evilgrin:

Warlord Nazgred
13-07-2009, 15:52
what stratagems would you recomend using with the tau army