PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Tomb Kings - no chariots!

Whitehorn
13-07-2009, 10:56
I began this list with the idea of a 'Undead Mongol' force in mind, but the characters can't have bows and as wonderful as as arrows are, S3 isn't all that hot.

Instead I went for a central core of infantry supported by an icon, war banner and constructs. A couple of scorpions to deal with enemy artillery and the casket to force my opponent to come to me. Despite playing Undead for 20 years now, this is my first TK list for the current book :)

Lord Tomb King
Light armour
Shield
Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Hero Lich Priest
Rare Casket of souls
Cloak of Dunes
Hieratic jar
Dispel scroll

Hero Lich Priest
Staff of Ravening
Skeltal steed

Hero Icon Bearer
Light armour
War banner

Core Skeleton Warriors (24)
Full command
Light armour
Spear & shield

Core Skeleton Light Horsemen (5)

Special Tomb Scorpion

Special Tomb Scorpion

Special Tomb Guard (19)
Full command
Icon of Sacred Eye

Special Ushabti (3)

Rare Screaming Skull Catapult

kyinpie
13-07-2009, 12:32
hi, a different list! but looks good!

your secound priest, the one on the casket, has too many items! he currently have 70 pts of equipment! :S other than this it looks good mate

Draconian77
13-07-2009, 12:45
I'd drop the Icon of the SE for the Icon of Rakaph or the Banner of the Undying Legion.

I'd drop the Icon Bearer for another Liche Priest. (Give the Cloak and Jar to him and call him the Heirophant?)

You can then add the Warbanner directly into the Skeletons, meaning that it's much harder to lose that +1CR. (The Icon Bearer can just be allocated against and killed after all)

If you wanted to try an army with lots of archers and your area/group is okay with special characters then bringing the Queen and her poisonous archers can work wonders.

White_13oy
13-07-2009, 17:02
Yeah, I love Queen Khalida. But you gave your Priest on the casket the Cloak which he'll never use as he cant leave the casket. So switch the priest wargear around to give the casket some added protection, so if anything does get close, it has to take 3d6 hits. I recommend sacred eye on the TG works wonders with them hitting anything but characers on a 3+ and character on a 4+ instead of a 5+. I personally have lost faith in spearman. They seems to just die to easily and you rarely ever get to attack back even with the second rank. Where as HW/Sh give you that better armour save for just anchoring that enemy unit down and not making the do anything else. I also love your idea of no chariots. I am finally using a chariot squad for the first time in a game over 1000 after 4 years. they are very helpful, but I believe you can make a good TK without them. Just got to tweakthings.

Whitehorn
13-07-2009, 17:22
He can leave the Casket, particularly on the last turn if in danger :)

I'm a stout believer in BSBs and in the case of Undead, they're extra useful for infantry and constructs when the combat gets sticky.

I forgot about the cloak, so I'll drop the scroll on the priest.

matticusmaximus
13-07-2009, 21:04
With Skaven as my primary army, I too love BSBs.

However...

The icon bearer is terrible. For other armies, he gives the extremely useful ability to re-roll break tests within 12", but for TK, seeing as we can't break, he merely shaves off a measly one wound from our crumbling after combat. Saving one skeleton a turn is not worth a hero slot. I agree with Draconian here, drop the icon bearer, give the war banner directly to the skellies, and run another liche priest, or even better, a Tomb Prince that can bolster your fighting abilites once things get hairy in close combat.

Griffery
14-07-2009, 05:04
This is interesting. From my experience I dont think the horsemen are that great, but if you truly wanna make an army with no chariots then I guess the horsemen are the best replacement. I like the 2 scorpions and the catapult and the ushabti. Looks legit, have fun.

Whitehorn
16-07-2009, 14:50
First revision after realising how weak the BSB is :(

Lord Tomb King
Light armour
Shield
Destroyer of Eternities
Collar of Shapesh

Hero Lich Priest
Rare Casket of souls
Cloak of Dunes
Hieratic jar