PDA

View Full Version : What books do I need to play the SBG?

Totengraber
13-07-2009, 16:44
I can't find the mini rulebook from the Mines of Moria box on eBay, but I can find the Fellowship of the Ring rulebook. Will that work?

What other books are absolutely necessary for the game?

DDogwood
13-07-2009, 16:57
The rules have changed quite a bit (for the better) since the Fellowship of the Ring rulebook. The Fellowship of the Ring Journey Book doesn't have the game rules in it, AFAIK, so that wouldn't be a good purchase. Your best bet is to buy the Mines of Moria mini rulebook, or just buy the whole set (it's a very good deal), or buy the "One Rulebook" hardcover.

jaws900
13-07-2009, 17:43
Buying the Hard back rule book is a goot way to go as this gives you all the rules in detail and then some. Other wise go for the mines of moria box set as it has a small rule book plus a fair few men to get you started.

Totengraber
13-07-2009, 20:29
I'm mostly looking to play it for using my War of the Ring minis in a skirmish level game, so I don't really need more figures (I even have the metal Fellowship already). I did have the original Fellowship boxed set rulebook when it first came out, but I've since lost it somewhere.

I'll have to just keep an eye out on eBay for the mini rulebook or the One Ring version at a reasonable cost.

HsojVvad
13-07-2009, 22:09
Or you can pay full price for it and get it now. But if time is not an option then you have to keep your eyes open. Just curious, how much is your max bid going to be?

IllidanStormrage
14-07-2009, 06:07
i have the return of the king book, it has all the rules.

HsojVvad
14-07-2009, 18:35
i have the return of the king book, it has all the rules.

It is old rules. They are abit similiar, but a few, quite a few rules have changed. Yes you can play with it, but don't expect to go to a store, or and event or gaming place to play with those rules.

Those rules are only good for home or who ever agrees to play with them. You will need the ORB, (one rule book) to play against strangers.

Tae
14-07-2009, 21:55
Not forgetting that army-specific journeybooks will be required for any units not covered in the ORB.

IllidanStormrage
15-07-2009, 05:58
It is old rules. They are abit similiar, but a few, quite a few rules have changed. Yes you can play with it, but don't expect to go to a store, or and event or gaming place to play with those rules.

Those rules are only good for home or who ever agrees to play with them. You will need the ORB, (one rule book) to play against strangers.

Thanks i didn't know that, i need to go buy 1 on amazon. haha thanks :)

HsojVvad
16-07-2009, 03:26
Thanks i didn't know that, i need to go buy 1 on amazon. haha thanks :)

Any time. Glad to help. I was told I need to get Lands of Middle earth or what ever it's called so you can see what a legal army build is. I never bothered with it. Lot of it is out dated, from what I hear, and to spend almost $40 Canadian for it, seems crazy to me. but it depends on how serious you are playing against strangers.

I find the money better spent buying the supliments, (or codex for 40K equivilent.) That tells you the updated army compistion better than Lands of Middle Earth. ( I am shure it's called that but it could be something of Middle Earth. Hope someone will correct me)

Bob5000
18-07-2009, 22:58
Legions of Middle Earth is the name of the book you are refering to I believe

HsojVvad
20-07-2009, 21:10
Legions of Middle Earth is the name of the book you are refering to I believe

Ah yes thank you.

Is this book really outdated now? I guess because I bought almost all the suppliments, that is why I find it outdated.