PDA

View Full Version : Gaming table help.

ORKZ WIN
13-07-2009, 17:54
Hi everyone,

Myself and two other friends are planning on starting up our own Gaming table (getting tired of the sheet of plywood on top of a table ;)). We were thinking of making it 6' x 6' in order to have enough room for three people to play at the same time. The plan so far is: 6' x 6' x 1/2" thick sheet of plywood with enough pink insulation Styrofoam to cover the table (about 1" thick). It will be sort of an ash wasteland depicting some sort of deathworld or hiveworld. The problem I'm having so far is the painting. We were thinking of textured paint for the surface, then painting over it to make it look, well, ashy. Spray paint doesn't seem to like the foam we're using...it melts it (stupid acetone). Would it be better just to not use foam on the top and just use the plywood and use terrain pieces? Just would like to get some input.

Zingbaby
13-07-2009, 17:57
Aerosol paints always melt foam. You can use acrylic based textured-paint; brush it on liberally to create a protective coating. Then you can spray any color you want over that.

MasterGideon
13-07-2009, 17:59
I would save up for the Realm of battle Board, sure 3 of you together can get enought cash for it, look around on the internet, you can find it for 110 quid, I got mine for 118quid(including Delievery)

MasterGideon

SPYDER68
13-07-2009, 17:59
i would not do a 6x6 table..

Keep to the standard 4x6 - 4x8 for 3 people..

Reaching to the middle of a 6x6 table will be more of a pain then anything..

I would also skip plywood, ill find name of other stuff we use here that is much better.

As for the surface.. sift throu sand and get the larget chunks out.. then glue it to your table top with like elmers glue for the texture.. then paint on top of it.

kendaop
13-07-2009, 18:00
Hi everyone,

Myself and two other friends are planning on starting up our own Gaming table (getting tired of the sheet of plywood on top of a table ;)). We were thinking of making it 6' x 6' in order to have enough room for three people to play at the same time. The plan so far is: 6' x 6' x 1/2" thick sheet of plywood with enough pink insulation Styrofoam to cover the table (about 1" thick). It will be sort of an ash wasteland depicting some sort of deathworld or hiveworld. The problem I'm having so far is the painting. We were thinking of textured paint for the surface, then painting over it to make it look, well, ashy. Spray paint doesn't seem to like the foam we're using...it melts it (stupid acetone). Would it be better just to not use foam on the top and just use the plywood and use terrain pieces? Just would like to get some input.

If you have the attention span and will, I'd stick with the foam. I just made a modular table from scratch and I already want to re-do it because I know how I can make it better. If you go to wal-mart (I'm not sure if ASDA has it though) you can get quarts of latex paint for about $5. I bought about 8 of those and they work great. I'd just recommend you have a suitable workshop set up. Doing it in the living room is NOT fun! (unless you're actually......doing it;)) Check out this site; it was very helpful for me.
www.quindia.com

Zingbaby
13-07-2009, 18:04
Check out this tutorial from DrunkDwarves: http://www.drunkdwarves.com/?p=278

Zingbaby
13-07-2009, 18:12
Another good tutorial for a 'foam-based' Lava table: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/243963.page

Urath
13-07-2009, 18:13
One I have planned, with my fathers' help, will be to use a regular board or two and create a trench network across it, using foam insulation to cut into.

djinn8
13-07-2009, 19:36
One way to texture your board is to buy a Battle Mat and glue it to the surface of the board, using an iron to smooth it out. If you are going to carve rivers, etc.. then cut the Mat to accomadate them before you glue it to the board.

N810
13-07-2009, 19:40
Krylon H20 Works fine on foam, since it is a water based paint, instead of a solvent based one.

After a good basecoat of this stuff you can use any normal spray paint on your foam.
just be sure to cover the foam completely in the safe krylon sparay first.

TheOTHERmaninblack
13-07-2009, 22:23
The longest lasting board we have here has held on for eight years of heavy use. Started with 3/4 inch particle board (sometimes called underlay) No splinters, unlike plywood, and about half the price. Slather on a medium thick coat of that Walmart latex and quickly, while the paint is wet, sprinkle on sand and/or floor sweepings. Cornmeal is also good. The wet paint will effectively glue the texture to the board. Wait for the mess to dry, then add another, thinner coat. Drybrush with a different color and you're done.

You could probably get away with 7/16" and an inch of foam, though the table will flex a bit and might pop the foam clear at the glue layer.

The new GW paint will safely spray over raw foam, though why you'd paint a terrain piece with a $15 can of paint is beyond me.

If you're after modular, start with a 1/2 inch or better sheet of particle board (it's more stable on its horizontal plane than plywood at a given thickness, though it's more brittle) and paint it dark grey or black with latex trim paint (more durable) Stipple it if you want, and you've got a cityfight base board.

Mount your cityfight buildings on 1/4 inch MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard, sometimes called hardboard) about a foot square. This way, you use the smaller pieces as "blocks" and anything not covered is, by default, roadway.

Then, also on 1/4 inch MDF, glue your foam in two foot squares. The fact that you used trim paint will protect the lower board from the ravages of the MDF This can be your ash wastes board. The 1/4 inch MDF will make the foam pieces easier and lighter to store, while leaving the big board thinner and easier to store without tearing up the foam (the biggest problem we have with our foam boards is the damage they take while waiting for a game)

zealot!
14-07-2009, 00:26
make a 4x6. spraypaint it black or brown or whatever you like, then use spray adhesive (the aerosol kind) and throw some flock on it. you'd be suprised at how well it holds and how good it looks.

Victomorga
14-07-2009, 02:24
try mixing elmers glue and water. elmers wood glue is thicker and requires less glue and more water, but costs a bit more.

you want the mix to be soupy but NOT watery. it should pour off a spoon or mixing stick somewhere between syrup and milk, closer to syrup. then add sawdust, sand, baby powder, or cornstarch until it starts thickening, but not so thick you'd have trouble spreading it with a heavy brush. you can also use kitty litter, pulverized or out of the bag, but this make for an obviously heavy texture.

don't sift sand, just buy a bag at a home supply / hardware store. apply this mix to your blue/pink foam so that it is completely covered. make sure that your foam is secured to the plywood beneath, or else the drying of this layer may cause the foam sheets to curl up at the edges. obviously you will need to do all your terrain sculpting before applying this sealing layer.

your board is now sealed. you can paint it however you want, because the texturing glue layer will protect the underlying foam from the paint, sealant, lacquer, etc. you apply over it.

other method may work as well or better, but I know this works cause I've done it this way before.

good luck.

Baba John
17-02-2010, 19:34
KIS - Keep It Simple.

I built this board in 2 days.
http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/BabaJohn/My%20Work/

...still needs some finishes but...

Mannimarco
17-02-2010, 19:37
roll on over to wayland games, they have a board there that looks decent and doesnt cost a ton

FluidSpace
18-02-2010, 00:10
You can also try putting wood glue down on your foam before you spray paint it. When you put the wood glue down, I would also put down your sand for texture.