PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point DE Newcomer

Peetus
13-07-2009, 22:33
Hi Guys - Avid 40k "Powergamer" Looking to start a competative yet interesting and not ZzZZzzZzzzzzz Warhammer army. Hows this look?

Dreadlord - Great Weapon, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Hand Weapon, Amour of Eternity, Pendant of Khaeleth

Hag - Cauldron

Hag - Rune of Khaine, BSB, Banner of Hag Graef

Noble - Hand Weapon, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Ring of Hotek

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

20 Corsairs - Full Command, Extra Hand Weapons

6 Harpies

6 Harpies

20 Black Guard - Full Command inc. Kouran

War Hydra

2 Bolt Throwers

So the Noble Dreadlord and BSB ride with the Blackguard and kill stuff...Noble rides with the corsairs alongside. Only problem i see is minor magic resistance, not sure whether or not to combine the harpies so they can still deny ranks after they have killed a warmachine.

Its a pretty self explanatory army.

szlachcic
13-07-2009, 22:45
Hi Guys - Avid 40k "Powergamer" Looking to start a competative yet interesting and not ZzZZzzZzzzzzz Warhammer army. Hows this look?

Dreadlord - Great Weapon, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Hand Weapon, Amour of Eternity, Pendant of Khaeleth

Hag - Cauldron

Noble - Hand Weapon, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Ring of Hotek

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

6 Harpies

6 Harpies

War Hydra

2 Bolt Throwers

So the Noble Dreadlord and BSB ride with the Blackguard and kill stuff...Noble rides with the corsairs alongside. Only problem i see is minor magic resistance, not sure whether or not to combine the harpies so they can still deny ranks after they have killed a warmachine.

Looks decent overall, however there are some key things I would change. Firstly, I would highly recommend taking Dark Riders as they are probably one of our best units. Don't worry about combining the Harpies as they are a skirmishing unit and can not deny ranks.

I personally wouldn't like my BSB to be a Hag due to Frenzy as there is nothing like having your BSB fly out of your unit to go chase after fast cavalry and the like. If you are looking to optimize your list then maybe drop the corsairs and take something else. If you are looking for bodies just go with the much cheaper spearmen or you could opt for a smaller unit from the Special Units section. The army seems to be somewhat static and besides the Hydra has no "hammer" units (BG are good, but are more of an "anvil"). Maybe a unit of Cold One Knights could help as long as you don't mind Stupidity.

Finally, as you mentioned, I would be somewhat worried about the amount of magic defense you have at this points level. The Ring of Hotek is an outstanding item, but it does have its limitations.

I know you said you are a "competitive" player, but I would honestly just go with what you think will be fun considering your play style. As I mentioned before, this army seems to be a little too static for a DE army, but then again I prefer to play DEs as a more mobile army.

gorenut
13-07-2009, 23:29
Personally, I think Kouran is overpriced. I think you're better off just getting a regular champ and use the points elsewhere.

Draconian77
14-07-2009, 01:27

You may as well mount him on a Dark Steed. +1 to his save, 1 extra attack and he can charge out of the BG if you think its necessary.

Hag - Cauldron

I don't like Hags, the combination of no armour and poor gift options makes them pretty redundant from a competitive point of view. Either replace her with another Master or a "Scroll caddy".

As is he has a 4+ save and 3 S6 attacks. For 15pts more you could give him the Armour of Darkness, giving him a 1+ save and 3 S6 attacks. If you drop the Bsb Hag then you can make this guy the Bsb instead. Give the ASF banner to the Black Guard.

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

10 Repeater Crossbowmen

Shields are a great choice on these units, generally speaking they can fight off weak flyers and fast cavalry if they have shields, and it makes the unit better at flanking. DE Crossbowmen are commonly used for flanking once they have either killed what you wanted or the battlelines are engaged and targets are limited.

I would recomend giving them either the Sea Serpent Standard, the Banner of Murder or the Warbanner. Anything to boost their combat potential. You could drop 2 and run them in 3 ranks of 6 to maximise attacks.

6 Harpies

6 Harpies

I think Kouran is overpriced aswell, and generally speaking I frown upon SC's. Drop him, and put the pts to good use. Give the unit the Banner of Hag Graef and give the Champion either the Crimson Death or the Whip of Agony.

War Hydra

Solid.

2 Bolt Throwers

Solid.

Harpies dont negate ranks being Skirmishers, for this reason Dark Riders are still a great choice. (Not to mention higher Ld and S4 on the charge+feighned flight) Harpies to my mind are more of a march blocking/screening unit.

Hope some of that was helpful. It seems strange to take a Cauldren and no Khainte units though.