PDA

View Full Version : My first Ogre army 1000+2000pts

Sandman - the eternal
13-07-2009, 21:38
Was a skink heavy lizardman in the last edition, Nid hord for 40k and now am looking to do big models rather than lots of little ones.

This is the list ive worked out, and have bought a battalion box. Ive worked out 1000pts, and then upgrading that to 2000pts. (see bottom for tactic plan)

1000pts
Bruiser, H.Armour and Cathyan Sword -142
Butcher - 130
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Gnoblars x20 - 40
Gnoblars x20 -40
Scrap Launcher -165
Scrap Launcher -165
(997pts total)

2000pts. Above, plus....
Bulls x8, Ironfists, L.Armour, Standard and Bellower - 374 (insert Bruiser here)
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Ironguts x6 Standard and Bellower - 318
Gnoblars x20 -40
Scrap launcher -165

Tactic plan is - Scrap launchers prevent opponents being static and just shooting. Hopefully they have to come to me, then i let the ogres do what ogres do.

AlmightyNocturnus
14-07-2009, 02:26
Sandman, good to hear you`ve joined the ranks of the Ogre Kingdoms.

Basically, it looks like you`ve got th ebasic MSU approach down (small units of Bulls and Iron Guts), so I`ll just give you some specific advise about your two lists above.

1. I like a Tyrant at 2000 points...much better than Bruiser.

2. One naked Butcher won`t get much done. At least give him a dispel scroll, Skull Mantle or Bangstick. You need two or even three Butchers at 2000 points or you`ll just get trampled in the magic phase.

3.Even at 2000 points, I wouldn`t advise units with more that 4 Bulls or Iron Guts. Iron Guts are almost always better than Bulls even inlcuding their cost. Leadbelchers are better than the Scraplauncher, but I can tell you just want to use that mdel, so go ahead.

4. Lots of Gnoblar units are good. Three Scraplaunchers is better than one since you can triangulate with your guess ranges. But I always have trouble with mine. A clever player will put a great eagle or gyrocopter in their charge range on the first turn...then lead you into a wood where the Scraplauncher will destroy itself. Beware.

5. Since lots of Ogre units tend to panic a lot and feigned flee a lot, you may want to include bellowers in those Bull units.

I guess that`s about it. Good luck.

Almighty Nocturnus

polymphus
14-07-2009, 02:45
Welcome to the Ogre Kingdoms! Rightyho, onto the list.

I'm skeptical about the three scrappies: if you can make it work good for you, but it seems an awful lot of points tied up in something so fragile.

1000pts
Fair enough. I like a tenderiser or great weapon (if I'm stuck for points) but this works.
Butcher - 130
Give this guy some equipment: a dispell scroll plus bangstick or skullmantle is ideal. Maybe just two scrolls (since you've only got the one mage)
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
As mentioned, give them bellowers and maybe additional hand weapons. Otherwise fine.
Gnoblars x20 - 40
Gnoblars x20 -40
Fine.
Scrap Launcher -165
Scrap Launcher -165
(997pts total)

2000pts. Above, plus....
Bulls x8, Ironfists, L.Armour, Standard and Bellower - 374 (insert Bruiser here)
You'll find that while this is very good on paper, it tends to be too big a fire magnet in games. Try it once or twice and see if you can make it work for you, but otherwise drop it. If you're seriously considering a big beefy unit I'd go with 'guts.
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Same as with the other bulls.
Make these guys two units of three with bellowers.
Gnoblars x20 -40
Scrap launcher -165

My overall advice (for 2000pts) would be to drop one of the scrappies and use the points to buff your bruiser to a tyrant and give the rest of your boys some equippment. Otherwise a very solid list.

Poly
Out

chaos0xomega
14-07-2009, 05:07
1000pts
I prefer picking out magic weapons/armour but this is decent enough.

Butcher - 130
Make it a scroll caddy or don't bother with this at all, as you will never be able to cast anything

Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Gnoblars x20 - 40
Gnoblars x20 -40
Pretty standard. Nothing to stay here.

Scrap Launcher -165
Scrap Launcher -165
Never used them, can't offer you help here.
(997pts total)

2000pts. Above, plus....
Split into two units of four. Use these to lock down enemy units so that you can get flank charges with your smaller units of bulls.

Bulls x3 (plain) -105
Nothing to say here

Put the Bruiser in here, and make this your 'deathstar' unit

Gnoblars x20 -40
Nothing to say here

Scrap launcher -165
Again, never used them, so can't offer you help, except to suggest that 2 of them is enough and these pts could be better spent on something like a giant/maneaters/an extra Lord/Hero

Sandman - the eternal
14-07-2009, 09:49
Thanks for all the advice!

With the scrap launchers (especially over lead belchers) , I love the fact they are large template and killing blow. a hit on a unit should hopefully knock a few ranks off, and even damage heavy armoured units (cause of K-blow). That is why 3 launchers.

I do completely see your views that most armies have anti-war machine units that will be dangerous to them, but that can hopefully be avoided with careful deployment.

You have raised really good points about the butcher.

Is it better to go into battle with a weak magician, or none at all?

I don't have the points spare for another butcher, so would it be worth taking him out?

polymphus
14-07-2009, 09:57
Honestly? None at all. Against most normal-magic armies you'll be struggling to get off any spells and his +1DD isn't really worth his big points cost. Giving him scrolls or bound items means he should be able to get off/block the occasional spell and hopefully earn back his points. I'd personally try and trim points to buy a second butcher, but that's just me. If a single butcher is the choice, have him fully equipped or not at all.

chaos0xomega
14-07-2009, 21:36
I played a 3k point game against VC, and IIRC I took 3 butchers and a slaughtermaster. I maybe successfully cast 2 or 3 spells during the entire course of the game, and that was only because my opponent was being nice. Likewise, I only managed to dispell a handful of enemy spells during the course of the game. My advice to you? Either way your opponent is going to have his way with you during his magic phase, and your magic phase will be nonexistent.

Sandman - the eternal
15-07-2009, 21:00
Thanks for all the advice!

I think you are all right about the magic thing. though im gonna get pwn'd in the magic faze, I will just have to work harder at killing those mages :D

Im also taking note of the importance of bellowers (any tips for modelling extra bellowers greatly received!)

Here is are my lists - version 2

Bruiser, H.Armour and Cathyan Sword - 142

Bulls x3, Bellower - 115
Bulls x3, Bellower - 115
Bulls x3, Bellower - 115

Gnoblars x20 -40
Scrap Launcher -165

Ironguts x 3, Bellower - 154
Ironguts x 3, Bellower - 154 (1000pts total)

Hunter, 2 Sabretusks.
"Siegebraker" magic wpn -215

Gnoblar Trappers x8, Snarefinger -52
Gnoblars x20 -40
Gnoblars x20 -40

Ironguts x6, Standard, Bellower - 318

Scrap Launcher -165
Scrap Launcher -165 (1995pts total)