PDA

View Full Version : Steg War spear.

Spirit
14-07-2009, 01:50
Am I the only one that wants to model a skink chief on a teeny tiny baby stegadon (no larger than the chief) seeing as its now the lance that causes all 2d6+1 magical impact hits and the steg causes none. :p

Necromancy Black
14-07-2009, 02:07
Bad spirit! There's already one topic pointing out the stupidity of that FAQ (and also how to rage post)

Staurikosaurus
14-07-2009, 12:56
Yes, you are the only one. On a related note, I'd wager you're the only one using the FAQ as well.

Lordmonkey
14-07-2009, 13:30
Naughty Spirit! Back in your cage! *prod with chair*

/Rules mode

As long as it's on the right sized base, I don't see a problem with this

/Rules mode end

SabaLoth
14-07-2009, 14:37
i would love to see that model. and since FAQ is GW supported at tournaments, it WILL be played.

by the way, this is not really a rules forum thread is it?

Arkanthaes
15-07-2009, 14:37
Imo, it's always been all the hit's being magical.

The Stegadon normally charges at X speed, which causes D6+1 Impact Hits.
The lance makes him magically charge at almost 2X speed, causing almost double that (2D6+1).

Oddly enough, that means that the attacks still come from the Stegadon, and that, because he's magically enhanced, his attacks are magical.

Simple.

Troah
15-07-2009, 15:19
Am I the only one that wants to model a skink chief on a teeny tiny baby stegadon (no larger than the chief) seeing as its now the lance that causes all 2d6+1 magical impact hits and the steg causes none. :p

Oh my God yes YES! Let's make it! It's gotta have cute eyes.

decker_cky
15-07-2009, 19:20
Oddly enough, that means that the attacks still come from the Stegadon, and that, because he's magically enhanced, his attacks are magical.

Simple.

Fail! The stegadon's attacks are no more magical than a character who's had bear's anger cast on it.

nosferatu1001
15-07-2009, 22:17
Except the stegs attacks are now magical, apparently....sigh. Good old FAQs...

Arkanthaes
16-07-2009, 10:55
Fail! The stegadon's attacks are no more magical than a character who's had bear's anger cast on it.

By that reasoning, ALL 2D6+1 impact hits wern't magical. Not the original ones arn't and the additional ones are, as people were advocating

Also, find me where it says attacks made by a character with The Bear's Anger on him arn't magical. The lack of statement saying they are isn't enough in this case: no spells do. It's implied, but never stated, so where does the implied line end.

Milgram
16-07-2009, 20:23
Also, find me where it says attacks made by a character with The Bear's Anger on him arn't magical. The lack of statement saying they are isn't enough in this case: no spells do. It's implied, but never stated, so where does the implied line end.

well, I think that one is pretty accepted. else we could start argue that the extra attack from magical frenzy is magical...

Drachen_Jager
16-07-2009, 20:29
well, I think that one is pretty accepted. else we could start argue that the extra attack from magical frenzy is magical...

Well no, just like the spear all attacks would become magical.

Arkanthaes
17-07-2009, 09:23
Exactly. There's no rules anywhere saying where the magic effects last. Taking the Daemon's Seeping Standard of Decay, for example, there's nothing to say that the re-rolled wounds arn't magical attacks.

On the opposite side, there's nothing saying magic weapons cause magical attacks.

So, where does the implied line end?

Spirit
17-07-2009, 16:14
[QUOTE=Arkanthaes;3774613]
On the opposite side, there's nothing saying magic weapons cause magical attacks.

QUOTE]

This in the rules for magical weapons, what there isnt is a definition of anything ELSE giving magical attacks. For example, fireball is not magical, its just cast in the magic phase.

But ofcourse it is... lol.

Arkanthaes
17-07-2009, 19:13
This in the rules for magical weapons, what there isnt is a definition of anything ELSE giving magical attacks. For example, fireball is not magical, its just cast in the magic phase.

I assume you mean "In the rules for magical weapons, it states they cause magic attacks"? If not, please correct me.

If that is what you said, then, astleast in the minirulebook, it's not stated.

Magic Weapons
By which we mean most commonly swords, but also: axes, maces, spears, bows, crossbows, etc.

A character that has a magic CCW cannot use other CCWs, but it can carry a chield as normal. No character can carry more than one CCW. Magic weapons ignore the normal rules of the CCW unless otherwise stated

That's the entire section on Magic Weapons (paraphrased slightly)

Kalandros
17-07-2009, 19:21
Warhammer rules are a game of Assumption all by themselves.

We all assume Magic Weapons cause magic damage, except when GWShop steps in to mention "certain magic bows, they're not magic".
We all assume too many things in this game because of unclear wording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywmpMQYojs
And while we're at it. The Assumption Song.

beaumontbrawler
17-07-2009, 19:41
The Stegadon normally charges at X speed, which causes D6+1 Impact Hits.
The lance makes him magically charge at almost 2X speed, causing almost double that (2D6+1).

No, no . . . force = mass x velocity^2.

It doubles the mass of the stegadon, not his speed . . . big **** spear, if you ask me. :D

Lord Zarkov
17-07-2009, 19:59
or increases his speed by a factor of sqrt(2)

Staurikosaurus
18-07-2009, 01:05
NOTE: The vast majority of us are not PhDs in Mathematics, Statistics, English or Law. Please stop pretending to be.

xragg
18-07-2009, 02:40
No, no . . . force = mass x velocity^2.

It doubles the mass of the stegadon, not his speed . . . big **** spear, if you ask me. :D

True for Newtonian physics. Modern physics is more in depth, but will simplify to Newtonian physics in most common circumstances. Anyway, the part you need to be looking at is the size of the impact point. With out the lance, its the stegadon. With lance, its the same force expressed through a small lance compared to the size of the stegadon. Only a magical lance would be able to withstand such a tension without breaking on contact, well, considering we are talking about magic and physics in the same argument :)

Lordmonkey
18-07-2009, 02:49

Oi! cage!

*Points*