PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts 2250 pts

Seal Cub
14-07-2009, 09:57
Hi there!

Re-worked my vampire list, any thought, suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated!

Characters

Vampire Lord - 405 pts
-General
-Walach's Bloody Hauberk
-Book of Arkhan
-Master of the Black Arts
-Dark Acolyte
-Power Stone

Vampire - 225 pts
-BSB
-Dark Acolyte
-Avatar of Death: Heavy armour, shield
-Helm of Commandment
-Power Stone

Vampire - 190 pts
-Flayed Hauberk
-Sword of Striking
-Red Fury

Necromancer - 115 pts
-Rise Dead
-IoN
-Scepter de Noirot
-Power Stone

Core

Skeleton Warriors - 176 pts
-Champion
-Standard

Skeleton Warriors - 198 pts
-Spears
-Standard
-Banner of Hellfire

Crypt Ghouls - 152 pts
-Ghast

Dire Wolves - 48 pts

Special

Grave Guard - 285 pts
-Standard
-Banner of the barrows
-Champion

Black Knights - 225 pts
-Champion
-Standard
-Banner of the dead legion
-Barding

Fell Bats - 80 pts

Rare

Cairn Wraiths - 150 pts

TOTAL - 2249 pts

PD: 11 + Arkhan + 3x Power Stones
DD: 7

bork da basher
14-07-2009, 11:03
looks ok to me as it is but i prefer starting with my core units around 12-15 strong. you have alot of magic so it won't be difficult to have them bumped up on turn 1. i'd like to see summon creatures of the night on one of your vamps to boost your dire wolves and fellbats but its not required really. the vargulf is OK...its a bit hit or miss but i find it just gets shot or magiced to death and with unit strength 4 it's no good for turning a flank. for the points i'd drop him with some of the skellies n ghouls and maybe buy a unit of wraiths which will proberly do much better. i'd seriously get rid of the barding on the black knights too, their ethereal movement is awesome and for the addtional save and loss of an inch of movement i don't think it's worth it. id maybe buy an extra knight aswell, i find 7 works best for me.

Seal Cub
14-07-2009, 13:17
Made a few modefications, dropped the vargulf, got 3 wraiths, banner of hellfire and switched standard of strigos for banner of the barrows on my Grave Guard.

bork da basher
14-07-2009, 19:08
i think you need 1-2 more wraith to be honest 3 doesn't pose a big threat and can be easily wiped out through CR. standard of strigos is better on graveguard than barrows IMO. reroll misses is better than +1 to hit and 10 points cheaper.

Seal Cub
15-07-2009, 09:56
But standard of strigos is only effective in the first turn of combat, Wight banner always works..

bork da basher
15-07-2009, 12:00
true but you have the helm of commandment if you need a second round of combat.

Gokamok
15-07-2009, 13:02
But standard of strigos is only effective in the first turn of combat, Wight banner always works..

I very much agree here. The Strigos Banner is great on Black Knights, but Banner of the Barrows is the way to go on Grave Guard, since they're far more likely to be fighting prolonged combats.

MasterSparks
15-07-2009, 13:03
I would keep the Barrows banner on the Grave Guard as they're the most likely to be stuck in protracted combats where Barrows helps you more than a round of hatred. Combined with the helm they'll be hitting most things on 2+!

A change I'd consider would be to drop a Fell Bat and use those points to give your Knights the Strigos Standard (hatred really helps them out) and your second hero Vampire the Lycni Talisman. It'll increase his charge range while still being able to hide in a unit. You can have him shoot out of there like a cannon when a good target presents itself. :)

Gokamok
15-07-2009, 13:21
First of all, I firmly believe that Skeletons must have full command (and ideally magic standards) in order to be a worthwhile choice compared to Ghouls. You really should pay those extra 4 points to get musicians, and I'd also very much recommend a War Banner on the HWS Skeletons. A Champion in the units with spears would also be neat, just in case you want to challenge.

As for characters, I think there's room for a bit of change as well. It seems you want your General to get into combat, but I really don't think he's well enough protected to fight anything but basic rank and file. I'd recommend taking Cursed Book instead of the Power Stone, so he can more reliably survive his unit being charged by a Hydra, a unit of knights or whatever. It's also a great item in case you get jumped by an assassin or end up facing anything with Killing Blow.

I think that BSB + Helm of Commandment is bad combo; ideally you'll want your BSB in combat, and your HoC not in combat, so I'd give the last Vampire the BSB instead. You could consider taking Summon Creatures of the Night instead of AoD in order to raise the bats bigger, but I guess that a 3+ save never hurts:)

Red Fury is cool on a hero Vampire, but it's horribly inefficient. In his current setup, your Vampire averages about 2 wounds a turn against Empire Swordsmen, and Red Fury accounts for less than 1 wound per turn. I'd suggest giving him Infinite Hatred and Walking Death, and then replace Sword of Striking with Sword of Battle. That's 0.5 more wounds per turn than with Red Fury and you get +1 static CR on top as well. With this guy as BSB, you have a character that can pretty much guarantee that a combat will swing in your favor.

Gokamok
15-07-2009, 13:25
A change I'd consider would be to drop a Fell Bat and use those points to give your Knights the Strigos Standard (hatred really helps them out) and your second hero Vampire the Lycni Talisman. It'll increase his charge range while still being able to hide in a unit. You can have him shoot out of there like a cannon when a good target presents itself. :)

Very good point on the Talisman. Works even better with the changes I've suggested above:angel:

I'm not really sold on the hatred banner, since the Black Knights won't break a ranked unit head on without a character to assist them, so I think that outnumbering is a much better option. They'll only need to do 3 wounds in order to autobreak ranked infantry on the charge, and even if they get stuck in combat, they actually have a decent chance of winning in subsequent rounds due to outnumbering.