PDA

View Full Version : 1:35

Sclep
14-07-2009, 22:48
Hi all.

I was wondering whether people have had experience using 1:35 models neat or as the basis of conversions.

In my local model store there is a reasonable range of WWII scale models, which, as a starting up Inq. player, seeem tempting.

It would appear you could build a 1:35 IG army for the same price as a GW IG army using the models I've found! Plus they're in plastic with plenty of gubbins such as binoculars, pouches and WWII weaponry. However, the quality varies, and isn't near that of some Inq. 54 models.

I've looked around and it seems that it equates to 50mm rather than 54; the models I've seen also look on the small size. Is the difference jarring when you stand them next to other models?

Thanks for your time and any help!

kaled
14-07-2009, 23:45
Yes, 1/35 miniatures are noticably smaller than 1/32 ones, added to the fact that the Inquisitor miniatures tend to have be more 'heroic' in their proportions than most historical miniatures means that 1/35 miniatures will tend to look like teenagers next to the GW ones. The same goes for their weapons and equipment which will be very small next to the GW range.

Fortunately, there's also a wide variation in size between models in the GW range (Covenant is tall and broad shouldered, Devlan is short and stocky, Von Castellan is slender, Black is about average), so you can quite easily mix in non-GW miniatures but I would stick to 1/32 rather than 1/35.

Airfix do a range of 1/32 miniatures which would work better than 1/35 ones (and which retail for about 8 for 6) - but unless you either plan to do a whole lot of converting, or to use them as a squad of grunts, then you're better off saving up and buying more individual characters. The list here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3749848#post3749848) should be of help to you. That all said, I've seen at least one person use 1/35 miniatures as armatures over which they sculpted new characters - it depends how much work you want to put in.

Ynek
14-07-2009, 23:47
1:35 models are, in my experience, a little too small to pass for Inquisitor scale. I got away with using a 1:35 tank to make one of my Inquisitor scale vehicles, but as far as infantry is concerned, I would recommend 1:32 scale. Of course, most models made in this scale are 'truescale', and as such, are a bit slight when compared to the more chunky 'heroic' proportions of Inquisitor models.

However, it's worth noting I've been using a squad of 1:35 australian infantry for years as NPC goons, with no significant problems, other than the fact that they were made from really cheap, nasty plastic.

Sclep
15-07-2009, 01:12
Great! Two very informative answers; I'll post up any progress I make.

Lacerto
16-07-2009, 10:27
I'm making some 1:32 Airfix guys at the moment so I thought I'd show you the WIPs for size comparison.

The woman on the right has high heels and a spacer in her torso - this makes her slightly taller than the Eisenhorn figure. The guy with the bolter has ork arms but no spacer. I think he seems a little short; he might get a spacer too.

In comparison 1:35 guys might seem a little bit like oompa loompas.

inq.serge
16-07-2009, 17:01
Does anyone know anything about Italeri?

They cost like ≈7 for 16 on foot/8 mounted.

kaled
16-07-2009, 17:55
From what I've seen, the Italeri models are single piece miniatures. Given the choice, I'd go for the multi-part Airfix ones.

Sclep
16-07-2009, 23:06
I was considering using spacers, but I'll see how things go.

I've my eyes on this: http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1777

It's 40mm scale, so might make a good rattling for a retinue/bounty hunter...

Anyway, I must paint before I spend, so...

inq.serge
17-07-2009, 10:01
But italeri might be good for heavy conversions? And C'mon, ≈20 for an inq scale infantry platoon with infantry command squad, 3 infantry squads and 2 heavy weapon squads seems just fine, If you like to convert, that is.

kaled
17-07-2009, 10:20
You could certainly convert them. All I was suggesting is that if I was going to buy a stack of cheap figures I probably wouldn't want to put in as much effort in converting them as I would more expensive ones, hence I'd rather go for the multi-part ones to make converting easier.

inq.serge
17-07-2009, 16:44
How many airfix models are in one box?

kaled
17-07-2009, 22:26
I believe you get 6 to a box (for about 8).