PDA

View Full Version : Tree Hugging Beatniks

PiousVanDorn
15-07-2009, 08:42
Hi Everyone,

I've thought about Daemons and I just can't escape that cheesy feeling!!! :(

So I've decide to plump for good old Wood Elves instead - I really want oto field a Forest Dragon but apart from that I'd like some help constructing around 2000pts around him. I'm not new to Warhammer but it seems to me that the WE, having looked at the book, really need to work around synergies to be successful and the Magic Items especially need some careful consideration as apart from the Hail of BOOOM arrow everything is ok but not outstanding...

thanks

PvD

Poseidal
15-07-2009, 08:53
What sort of army are you going for? Mixed? Elf heavy or Forest Spirit heavy?

Dryads are usually regarded as excellent core, though they are skirmishers so can't deny rank bonus. Archers are quite nice, as are Glade Riders though the latter is quite expensive, they make a good fleeing unit and can move quite far and fire accurately.

Anardakil
15-07-2009, 09:30
I think you should take whatever units you like the most. But that being said, here's my look on a WE dragon list.

A dragon rider with helm of the hunt, spear, shield, light armour, stone of the crystal mere and hail of doom arrow is nice. I've tried that one three times. The rider is squishy though so taking the oaken armour as well as the stone is a good way to go I think.
two scroll caddies or one scroll caddy and a branchwraith with the cluster rounds out your character choices nicely.

Add in a bunch of dryad units (always good to have), one or two glade guard units, a unit of glade riders if you feel like it. Maybe some wardancers and/or treekin depending on your playstile
I also recommend two units of wild riders. These are great. And they work very well with the dragon.

Eternal guards don't really have a place in this list but treekin might be useful. Warhawk riders... well I'm not a fan but take them if you want to. :)

I think redirectors are very important for the wood elves so I'd recommend taking 1-2 eagle when it comes to rare choices (and perhaps a glade rider unit). But the other choices are of course very good too :)

PiousVanDorn
15-07-2009, 10:21
I'm definately going for a mixed list as all the models look cool! Treeman is probably a no go as it's too slow but the Wild Riders look awesome! Both as models and in terms of impact in the game.

Warhawks look kinda "meh" and expensive for what they do.

I like the idea of a Altered Noble with the Helm of the hunt and GW maybe with the HoDA...

Poseidal
15-07-2009, 10:34
The 'Standard Alter' is an Alter Noble with Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, Great Weapon and Armour+Shield. He can break smaller units with his 18" charge and cause pain with the HoDA.

PiousVanDorn
15-07-2009, 10:50
Only gives him a 5+ armour save though...

Poseidal
15-07-2009, 10:55
Only gives him a 5+ armour save though...

4+, due to the helm giving a save too.

If he charges into a weak unit, he should kill enough so they can't fight back (don't charge into the front of spears though).

Since he's a single model, he's quite easy to screen with Glade/Wild Riders too.

bobtasco
15-07-2009, 11:43
A heads up about dryads for some of the newer more powerful armies, they are utterly worthless against demons. If you play against a lot of demons, Dryads have no save against demons and can't break them on the charge so they essentially just give the enemy combat res.

Shiodome
15-07-2009, 13:00
.that's just nonsense, they still have a 360 degree charge arc, are still ItP, still have 2 attacks each at str4 initiative 6! and are still a great screening unit... for 96 points. nothing in the WE army is meant to break anything on the charge solo, they can't do it against elite units with their 5+ ward, and can't do it against daemons with no 5+ ward... in neither case are they 'worthless', they remain one of the best core units in the game.

basically, you're doin' it wrong.