PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Expeditionary Force - 1K

Keller
15-07-2009, 12:30
I am putting together a Dwarf army for a 1000 point league at our local shop. Its a new army to me, so some comments would be appriciated.

The theme is a Dwarven scouting force, patroling the lands nearby their strong hold.

Thane - Greatweapon, Shield - 126
- 2x Rune of Iron (5+ WS), Rune of Stone (+1 AS)
- Rune of Brotherhood (Scouting/Mining)

Dragon Slayer - 50

15 x warriors w/ shields, standard, champion - 155
12 x quarrelers w/ shields - 144
10 x quarreler Rangers w/ great weapons, scouts - 140
8 x miners - 88 pts
Gyrocopter - 140

Total: 998
DD: 4
Models: 63

The Thane can deploy with any unit, depending on how I and my opponent sets up. I had considered a Crossbow for him, but decided against it.

The Rangers are more for versitility than a definate shooting unit. I can deploy them in my zone for additional ranged support, scout and go on the offensive with their S5 attacks, or scout and try to control some ground with their crossbows. Again, the Thane can deploy with them if it seems advantagous.

The Dragon Slayer is there for a bit of mobility (for a dwarf) as he is a skirmishing lone character. With Unbreakable, he might be able to tie something up long enough for a unit to get in on the action.

The Gyrocopter.... I am a bit unsure of this. I like the idea behind it, and certainly that it lets me have a unit that can actually move, but I question its effectiveness. The plan is concentrate on running down fleeing units, but will also assist in harassing units w/ steam gun. I just worry that it may get shot down too easily w/ only T5 and 4+ AS.

Well, there you have it. Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Keller
16-07-2009, 18:27
Bump!

Any comments, please? I am new to dwarves, not even having played against them much.

lcfr
17-07-2009, 14:38
[QUOTE=Keller;3767725]Thane - Greatweapon, Shield - 126
- 2x Rune of Iron (5+ WS), Rune of Stone (+1 AS)
- Rune of Brotherhood (Scouting/Mining)

You're probably best of giving this guy the classic 'Thane of Pain' setup, which is shield, RStone, RFury, RCleaving, and RSwiftness. If you want to stick w/the GW, his current setup's not bad but you'd probably be better served by dropping the RBrotherhood and RStone and exchanging it for a MRGromril

Dragon Slayer - 50

The thing about Dwarfs is that they win combats not through generating kills but through what is known as 'static combat resolution'; which means bonus points for having full ranks, a banner, and hopefully outnumbering your opponent too. 15 Dwarf warriors will neither be able to kill much of anything nor will they be able to generate high enough static res. to win combats. You always want to have at least 20 dwarfs in your warrior units, and you want to make sure these units have shields, banners and musicians.

10 x quarreler Rangers w/ great weapons, scouts - 140

Any dwarf unit that can have shields, should have them. Quarreler-rangers are no exception. The problem is, even w/out shields you're looking at 14pts/model, more points than hammerers and ironbreakers and far less useful. If you're bent on fielding rangers, go ahead...but most dwarf players will tell you that until they get Foresters back (special rule in previous army book where they could move freely through woods) they are not worth their points and do not bring much to the table. Your miners can hunt warmachines better for almost half the cost! Besides, fresh air's no good for you!

Gyrocopter - 140

Typically you never want to be without your organ gun, since the gyrocopter's most important role imo is march-blocking and harassing the enemy. I don't think it's a great addition to your army at 1k pts (I always bring one at 2k though), but it would be fun!

The problem with your list, besides the small things I mentioned, is the total lack of warmachines! You don't need to go over the top, but warmachines fulfill a very important role for Dwarfs; used properly, our cannons, BTs, and stone throwers are capable of taking out large monsters, units of gribblies, auto-killing chariots w/S7, and even making a dent in elite enemy units. Take advantage of the warmachines at your disposal!

Even at 1k you're sure to meet chariots, hydras, giants, high elf jerk-mages on baby dragons, treemen, varghulfs, and units of smaller nasties like ogres, minotaurs, or trolls! Nothing says "Get off my beard!", though, like a pair of flaming bolt throwers!