PDA

View Full Version : Slaaneshi Daemons

Death Disco
15-07-2009, 16:12
So I'm thinking of starting Daemons. Not any of the typical lists, but rather, a mono-Slaanesh army, which appeals to me primarily because it's so absurdly fast. My questions for the forum:

1) Do you think it would be fun to play against?
2) Would it get tedious for me, with so few different units?
3) Would it be effective? Not much of it is devastatingly powerful, but any army so fast will largely be dictating who fights and where.

Ixquic
15-07-2009, 16:37
Leave out the -2 Leadership banner and the Masque. Nothing is less fun than not being able to move your own models due to your leadership being nerfed to -3-5 and being made stupid or being terror bombed off the board.

Other than that an entirely Slaanesh army isn't too ridiculous and their Greater Demon is probably the overall best one. There's a lot to do in the movement phase and their magic is quite powerful and gets game breakingly so when you combine it with the leadership modifying stuff I told you to avoid.

Nothing in the demon army is bad (with the possibly exception of the prince) so you'll never really be at a disadvantage so if you go mono Slaanesh and leave the broken stuff at the door it would probably result in some good games for you and your opponent. If you find that you lose a lot and need a boost take the banner but not the Masque since at least the points for that are somewhat fair.

Death Disco
15-07-2009, 16:50
Leave out the -2 Leadership banner and the Masque. Nothing is less fun than not being able to move your own models due to your leadership being nerfed to -3-5 and being made stupid or being terror bombed off the board.

Other than that an entirely Slaanesh army isn't too ridiculous and their Greater Demon is probably the overall best one. There's a lot to do in the movement phase and their magic is quite powerful and gets game breakingly so when you combine it with the leadership modifying stuff I told you to avoid.

Nothing in the demon army is bad (with the possibly exception of the prince) so you'll never really be at a disadvantage so if you go mono Slaanesh and leave the broken stuff at the door it would probably result in some good games for you and your opponent. If you find that you lose a lot and need a boost take the banner but not the Masque since at least the points for that are somewhat fair.

I wasn't planning on taking either of those things, which I should have mentioned. What do you think of that gift that forces units to charge or flee? I love the idea of it...but I'm not sure I can really say I'd be too happy to see an opponent field it against me.

The Keeper of Secrets is actually one of the things that appealed to me, with its ability to sprint towards a weak supporting unit and make it to the other table edge by the end of turn 2.

Ixquic
15-07-2009, 17:55
If you put Siren song on a herald I don't see a problem. Putting it on a Keeper is super broken.

w3rm
15-07-2009, 21:17
I plan to make my daemons mono slaanesh too. I have a few questions as well.

1) What is the base size for fiends.
2)Any possible conversions for Seekers?(I plan to make daemonette driders out of skull pass spiders. Kinda like daemonette spider centaurs)

Lord Inquisitor
15-07-2009, 21:38
So I'm thinking of starting Daemons. Not any of the typical lists, but rather, a mono-Slaanesh army, which appeals to me primarily because it's so absurdly fast. My questions for the forum:

1) Do you think it would be fun to play against?
2) Would it get tedious for me, with so few different units?
3) Would it be effective? Not much of it is devastatingly powerful, but any army so fast will largely be dictating who fights and where.
I've been running such a list for a while.

As Ixquic says, the Leadership-bomb is probably not a great deal of fun. Even without the masque, the combination of the -2Ld banner and all of the leadership-based abilities/spells/terror can really screw up an enemy. Particularly the defensive abilities that prevent the enemy from attacking your heroes can be frustrating. Take two Ld tests at -2 in order to attack! The reason it is frustrating is because it really relies on NOT fighting the enemy in any fair way, and I've won games with hardly any combat fought at all.

That said, it's a big part of how Slaanesh play. If you avoid the Ld modifying powers and characters then you are going to have a harder time of things, although it is by no means ineffective.

Will it get tedious? Perhaps eventually. Playing with M10 fast cav is definately entertaining, but there is a particular style to this army and it doesn't have a huge amount of variety. However, you can always add additional units to your army as and when you do want a change. I've a unit of harpie-based furies and I'm considering a unit of plaguebearers and a nurgle herald now I have all of my slaaneshi troops done.

As for effective, if you go for the Leadership-******* army it is effective as hell. I've been running a Keeper, herald with the banner of -2 leadership, Masque and a herald with an etherblade (tin opener), three units of daemonettes and seekers, and it stands up against the most competitive lists. Undead present a singular problem and other daemon lists can present a difficulty, but against living armies this tears through them like a knife through butter if used right. I've won several local tournies with that list (I know several of the local players have lists geared specifically to beating mine :evilgrin:)

Without the Leadership bent, the list should still be competitive due to the really rather unreasonably fast speed, but with only S3 and T3, you need to make sure you use your speed to pick your battles.

I plan to make my daemons mono slaanesh too. I have a few questions as well.

1) What is the base size for fiends.
2)Any possible conversions for Seekers?(I plan to make daemonette driders out of skull pass spiders. Kinda like daemonette spider centaurs)

I haven't got one in front of me, but I believe it is the smaller of the monster bases (Ogre-sized), 40mm.

Your seeker conversion sounds good! You could look for a really big spider to use for a herald too. Equally, daemonette centaurs on horsie bodies of some description could also work. Finally, Game Zone (http://images.frpgames.com/products/product_52147.jpg) make some rather spiffing models that work well. They're expensive and the casting quality, while good, is a little light on detail but they're nice models nevertheless. I have the old GW metal daemonettes on steeds, but I bought one of these as my herald.

PeG
15-07-2009, 21:40
Siren song on a herald in a unit of ASF daemonettes makes for a hard unit to beat but as others have said its not game breaking. As long as you stay away from combining lots of -LD stuff they can be fun to play against.

LonelyPath
15-07-2009, 21:46
Mono-Slaanesh is fun if you avoid the Ld Bomb (Mask and -2 Ld banner) as they suck all fun out of the game. I tried it once as myself and my opponent hadn't seen it personally, we quit the game soon and I put together another roster and had a much better game. However, the Ld banner and the Masque are not broken if you don't take them both in the same army, so keep that in mind, solo they are a hindrance, together they just ruin games.

Slaanesh armies are fast, very fast in fact. 3 blocks of Daemonettes with 2 units of Seekers and a few Fiends and there's not alot that can keep up. Be warned though, Daemonettes are somewhat fragile with a 5++ save and T3. Always take a couple of Heralds though and I tend to give 1 of them many Armed Monstrousity (mostly since I like it, lol), if that one hits the enemy it's alot of attacks coming their way.

My Seekers are the last batch of metal mixed with centaur seekers (using the current plastics and the wood elf horses), I'm planning some Drider versions in the nearish future.

For my general I switch between a DP and a KoS depending on what else I'm fielding.

@ W3rm - fiends are on 40mm bases. Also run a search on the forum for Seeekers, there are a few logs and there are some nice shots of drider seekers out there. They're simple enough to work as well :)

Nabeshin1106
15-07-2009, 23:10
I haven't tried using the Ld bomb army, so I can't say how cheesy it is, but I've been playing mono-Slaanesh since the book came out.

I run a Lvl 3 or 4 Keeper, Masque, a Lvl 1 Herald with MAM, a Lvl 1 Herald with a BSB and Etherblade, 3 units of Daemonettes, 2 of Seekers and 3 Fiends.

I've had my wins and losses, I tend to not optimize my gifts, I just kind of take what seems good at the time. Spirit Swallower can be really handy for keeping a unit locked in combat with a Keeper.

Kinkykinetics
16-07-2009, 10:12

I've done just that for my beastmen centigors - I have a widow's army of she-spiders you might find interesting. Here's the daemonette / spider rider conversions http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Kinkykinetics/centigorunit.jpg and my army diary over at the herdstone if you want to see the rest - I'm fielding them as slaaneshi beasts if that helps for inspiration: http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=15703&st=0

LonelyPath
16-07-2009, 11:20
Sirit Swallower can be really useful, especially when it keeps the opponents prized regiment locked in combat for the entire game while you mop up evrything else, lol.

My army is quite similar to yours, though I tend to use the Masque mini as a regular herald for the most part.

Death Disco
16-07-2009, 14:17
I haven't tried using the Ld bomb army, so I can't say how cheesy it is, but I've been playing mono-Slaanesh since the book came out.

I run a Lvl 3 or 4 Keeper, Masque, a Lvl 1 Herald with MAM, a Lvl 1 Herald with a BSB and Etherblade, 3 units of Daemonettes, 2 of Seekers and 3 Fiends.

I've had my wins and losses, I tend to not optimize my gifts, I just kind of take what seems good at the time. Spirit Swallower can be really handy for keeping a unit locked in combat with a Keeper.

I was thinking of trying this; simply having the Keeper get into combat as early as possible with Spirit Swallower, and having it spend the whole game messing up your opponents battleline while it slowly wears down a block.

Lord Inquisitor
16-07-2009, 19:09
It doesn't work that well. From a purely competitive standpoint, the other gifts are more worthwhile. With ASF and Initiative 10, you rarely recoup wounds suffered in combat. If you charge in (and you've not lost any wounds yet) you attack - you can't regain any lost wounds yet - and then you suffer return attacks and take wounds (if there's anything left alive!). Then either you win and your enemy breaks (leaving you to weather a whole turn of enemy shooting before being able to recoup lost wounds) or they win and you have to survive the Ld test before you can recoup lost wounds. Much better to take gifts that prevent the enemy from attacking you in the first place.

The only time Spirit Swallower really comes into its own is against an enemy who has a large volume of fire. Poisoned skink blowpipes are a real pain and if you play such an army regularly then it might be worth splurging out on. But generally if you take Spirit Swallower then one of two things happens - 1) you don't suffer any wounds and never use it or 2) you get killed before you can get into combat and gain your wounds back and never use it. I find gifts like Allure of Slaanesh (particularly if you go for the Ld-bomb army), Soul Hunger (surprisingly useful, even against infantry - I roll a lot of "1s" - but really hugely useful against enemy monsters), Torment Blade (5 points? Bargain!) and of course Siren Song (widely regarded as utterly broken - so a must have for competitive play) are all far more useful in the long run.

Ixquic
16-07-2009, 19:15
I will never understand how they decided "5 points for +1 attack on an strength 6 ASF WS 9 model" was balanced when everyone else has to pay 15 points at least and that's before the ability. It really highlights Matt Ward's stupidity.

decker_cky
16-07-2009, 21:15
It's an easter egg. It wasn't intended to give an extra attack.

Lord Inquisitor
17-07-2009, 02:55
Agreed, I never play that it gives an extra attack. RaI is a slippery thing but there's just no way that is what was intended. It's still a bargain got five points nevertheless.