PDA

View Full Version : The Incubi?

EarthScorpion
15-07-2009, 17:01
I think that there is a fairly broad consensus that Incubi are awesome. They have nice models, good stats, and the fact that they are Cormaggargahgahg... (okay, I may know how to start spelling that word, but not stop :)) dwelling Aspect Warriors is intriguing.

But what do we really know about them? Do they use Soul Stones? I'd think that they do, because they're still on a Path, but what does the background say. And, more generally, please tell me everything [1] about these very cool guys. But especially whether they use soul-stones, which is important for a bit of background.

[1] This may not be very much, because they're Dark Eldar and thus sorely lacking in fluff, but oh well.

grissom2006
15-07-2009, 17:28
Very much doubt they use soul stones Dark eldar have no use of them

Madness_
15-07-2009, 18:56
Where does it say that they still are Aspect Warriors? AFAIK they are using the Dark Eldar method of not being ravaged by Slaanesh, not the Path/stones system of the Craftworld Eldar.

Mannimarco
15-07-2009, 23:03
i suppose they are aspect warriors in a sense, ahra was the first phoenix lord of the striking scorpions and the incubi are sort of his pupils

theres an idea....incubi are like the cool version of striking scorpions lol

seriously, they wouldnt use soul stones, they may be on a path of sorts but they are still dark eldar and use the traditional dark eldar ways of keeping their soul

MrSatan
15-07-2009, 23:05
well their 'father' was a pheonix lord (and possible Drahzar) so I would assume they follow at least some aspect warrior traditions. I would say theu were an aspect warrior of such.

EDIT - Sniped.. =)

Madness_
15-07-2009, 23:17
First, Ahra being the founder of Incubi is speculation, highly probable, but not guaranteed, second, that still doesn't make incubi an aspect warrior temple, they train alongside Mandrakes and that isn't how an aspect temple works.

w00tm0ng3r
16-07-2009, 06:24
First, Ahra being the founder of Incubi is speculation, highly probable, but not guaranteed, second, that still doesn't make incubi an aspect warrior temple, they train alongside Mandrakes and that isn't how an aspect temple works.

What the hell? Where did this come from? Incubi are trained in their dojo, Mandrakes are the dark eldar analog to feral orks...

Anyway, for the OP, Incubi are trained in a politically neutral central dojo in "Cormaggargahgahg" (I actually lol-ed at that). This makes them the perfect bodyguards in a society where social advancement = killing your boss (the fact that they're grade A++ badasses also helps).

They wear power armor unlike other eldar although I don't think it's ever mentioned how it stacks up against Spess Mehreen power armor (it has the same save in game so it's most likely at least in the same league). Presumably it trades mobility for durability though in what amounts is unknown. Weaponry generally amounts to a power halberd that's at least somewhat collapsible (extendable shaft) and uses something called a shock field (it's a power field with a different name) and a mini-splinter pistol mounted into the helmet. The pistol comes out of the top of the helmet (called a tormentor helm) and looks like a scorpion's tail. It's essentially a mandiblaster that looks different.

As for how awesome they are, in one short story an incubus utterly demolishes a dracon with pathetic ease (the incubus cut her arm off in about 2 seconds and he didn't even get touched let alone scratched). Dracons aren't exactly slouches themselves so these guys are the winsauce.

Madness_
16-07-2009, 06:41
My bad, I misread the sentence.

Also, power armor is an imperial technology, there are other armor types of an equivalent/better protection. But Power Armor is another term.

I'm sure Incubi are wicked cool or whatever, I'm just saying that they still aren't Aspect Warriors. It's not a sin, they just live their lives in a different way.

Poseidal
16-07-2009, 08:14
They aren't Aspect Warriors unless their temple is a temple of Khaine.

It's very likely that their ancestry is closely related to the Aspects. The 'Dark Father' and the written animosity between Scorpions on Incubi are rather strong notions.

Also, the fact that their superiority is in duels, and they use the suits as a reward suggests there could be some kind of infinity circuitry going on there.

If the Incubi was far better than the Dracon (as w00tm0ng3r said, though I don't know what story that is) that could suggest that that Incubi was a soul gestalt with more experience and fighting ability (possibly supernatural) than the Dracon... a bit like an Exarch.

Also, power armor is an imperial technology, there are other armor types of an equivalent/better protection. But Power Armor is another term.

Aspect Suits when written first about in WD127 were mentioned as being a sort of Eldar analogue to Power Armour. Power Armour, Artificer Armour and Aspect Armour all come under 'powered armour' really.

What the Incubi wear is much more similar to Craftworld armour than the rest of the Dark Eldar population. This would either be a psycho-reactive suit or using power servos like Imperial Power Armour, as that's usually what's needed for non daemonic 3+ armour.

Madness_
16-07-2009, 08:28
So they are ALL exarch equivalents? Why would they join the Dark Eldars if they imprison themselves in soul gems as the Eldar do? Isn't the paradigm of Dark Eldar "we torture others so we don't have to be imprisoned in the infinity circuit forever"?

Poseidal
16-07-2009, 08:41
Not all are, but probably the masters and the higher echelons are 'Exarch like' but in general the Incubi do something else to preserve themselves.

They joined the Dark Eldar because they can further their agenda there. Their way of life is very different to other Dark Eldar, or so we're told and are extremely disciplined for combat rather than 'pleasure' or something along those lines.

The Dark Eldar don't try to avoid an infinity circuit, but Slaanesh as their most dreaded. They choose not to use an infinity circuit or soul stones because they want to carry on with their pre-fall lifestyle.

Souleater
16-07-2009, 10:03
I haven't read the story with the Incubit duelling the Dracon. Even an Incubi Master would on average get his butt kicked by a Dracon.

But Dark Eldar models don't have soulstones. Not sure if they can use them. If they could then maybe that would prevent them suffering the Hunger...or the Drain...

AndrewGPaul
16-07-2009, 10:13
I think the story in question is the one in Codex: Dark Eldar where a Drakon tries to assassinate an Archon. She winds up fighting the leader of the Archon's Incubus bodyguard, and gets her hand cut off for her troubles.

w00tm0ng3r
16-07-2009, 16:42
^That sounds like it. I found it on the GW website back when it had fluff articles on the army pages. It was the Incubi's leader, but the point stands that he wtfpwned a dracon in about 2 seconds.

As for their armor, I'd say it's probably something similar to what the striking scorpions wear. The two armors look rather similar and given all the other similarities they share this is the most likely one. Lexicanum specifically says power armor though.

I don't think they would merge with their suits... dark eldar just aren't like that. Incubi like all dark eldar are effectively immortal though (unless killed in combat, and when you're as badass as the Incubi that's unlikely ;)), so it wouldn't surprise me if the higher ranking Incubi have been around for thousands of years- certainly enough time to gain exarch like experience.

Daredhnu
16-07-2009, 17:09
^That sounds like it. I found it on the GW website back when it had fluff articles on the army pages. It was the Incubi's leader, but the point stands that he wtfpwned a dracon in about 2 seconds.

As for their armor, I'd say it's probably something similar to what the striking scorpions wear. The two armors look rather similar and given all the other similarities they share this is the most likely one. Lexicanum specifically says power armor though.

I don't think they would merge with their suits... dark eldar just aren't like that. Incubi like all dark eldar are effectively immortal though (unless killed in combat, and when you're as badass as the Incubi that's unlikely ;)), so it wouldn't surprise me if the higher ranking Incubi have been around for thousands of years- certainly enough time to gain exarch like experience.
the reason it looks like he WTFPWNED the dracon is simply because of his cool detached fighting style while the fighting style of the dracon is more passionate and wild therefore it looks less sophisticated and thus it seems like he pwns her lots where infact he simply won, nothing more nothing less.

Poseidal
16-07-2009, 17:13

It's not just the years. It's stacked; because Eldar live so long, it's actually likely to be a peer who takes up the mantle with an Exarch.

It's likely that an Exarch would have more years experience than the suit had been created for. It's easily possible the Phoenix Lords have got more fighting experience than is possible for the time they have been alive.

Heroes stacked upon heroes, it's like if a lot of legendary warriors did the fusion dance.

AndrewGPaul
16-07-2009, 23:41
the reason it looks like he WTFPWNED the dracon is simply because of his cool detached fighting style while the fighting style of the dracon is more passionate and wild therefore it looks less sophisticated and thus it seems like he pwns her lots where infact he simply won, nothing more nothing less.

The Dracon doesn't get a chance to strike - she raises her weapon to attack and he shears off her hand in one blow, then overpowers her in position to be executed.

w00tm0ng3r
16-07-2009, 23:47
The Dracon doesn't get a chance to strike - she raises her weapon to attack and he shears off her hand in one blow, then overpowers her in position to be executed.

Pretty much. I don't have it with me right now, but from what I remember it was less of a "duel" and more of a rapestomp.

Paul Nexus
16-07-2009, 23:57
Mainly because she was surprised and going for the Archon. The Incubus could have just stuck his foot out to trip her up for a similar effect, though less gratifying.

I am not entirely sold on Ahra being the founder in the Incubi. The Eldar codex says that he 'burns with the dark light of chaos', or something along those lines.

There was a topic on Dark Eldar society a while back, including thoughts on the Incubi by myself and other users. I have not been able to find it, if I do I shall post a link.

When I think of Incubi, I think of a twisted mirror of a Jedi Temple, in theory.

Paul Nexus
17-07-2009, 00:08
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178694

Here it is.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2009, 09:00
Mainly because she was surprised and going for the Archon. The Incubus could have just stuck his foot out to trip her up for a similar effect, though less gratifying.

No, she was going for the Incubus:

The Incubi leader strode up to her, and she brought her blade up to attack. With an almost dismissive stroke, her foe's own weapon lashed out, tearing through her wrist.

In any case, an Incubi Master has the same cobat stats as a Dracon, so it's not really unheard-of.

Paul Nexus
18-07-2009, 00:33
I meant her whole plan, main target was the Archon. An unfocused attack is a foolish one.

ryng_sting
19-07-2009, 11:21
I've yet to see any mention of them using soul stones.

They're effectively a twisted mirror image of an Aspect Warrior shrine, and I'd like to see more on that in the DE codex. And on Arhra, too.

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
19-07-2009, 12:31
Ive read two things that are most common.

1. They are a kabal of bodyguards and henchman for hire, they are utterly loyal to the highest bidder and things can change in the middle of a battle if the enemy archon offers a better price.

2. Followers or aspect warriors of the original Striking Scorpion Pheonix Lord.

Before I read these however my idea for them was this.
Because Dark Eldar fight each other all the time, I thoght it would be cool if when an Archon captures an enemies turf in the city he gets the haemonculus to lobotimise them turning them into utterly loyal, unthinking killing machines, and an archon gets a retinue of them after a while.

Lowmans
19-07-2009, 13:54
I like the possibility that Incubi guard the lives of the strongest Archons and in reality are loyal to Ahra....

My favourite Phoenix Lord! :)

TheBloodyFistOfKhaine
20-07-2009, 01:59
Incubi and Scorpions are very different though.
Incubi are henchman who are highly skilled with martialk discipline.
Scorpions are more like a squad of sneaking ninjas who strike from the shadows.
Is it because of their pheonix lords.?
But if Ahra was the first pheonix lord and Karandas was a follower of his shouldnt they be very similar in terms of look and combat style.
The only thing i see similar is they can both shoot from their helmets.

w00tm0ng3r
20-07-2009, 05:11
Technically Arha and Karandras had different personalities. Arha was the kill-kill-kill bloodthirsty one and Karandras was more of the sneak and stalk kind of guy. In my mind that's what accounts for Scorpions sneaking around while the Incubi get in your face and slash it off and why the Incubi are with the dark eldar.

Both also wear rather similar heavy (relatively) armor with a segmented design (for the scorpion motif). The Incubi's tormentor helm also looks a lot like a scorpion's tail and fulfills the same purpose as the mandiblasters, though mandiblasters put out a bunch of shards and follows it up with a laser while the tormentor just shoots the shards (probably poisoned). In fact, if you put the mandiblasters and the tormentor pistol on the same helmet, you get a scorpion pretty much with pincers and the tail. Incubi are also extremely disciplined for dark eldar, which speaks more to an aspect warrior than a dark eldar raider.

Then I think there was a reference to the Incubi as the fallen ones while Arha is known as the Fallen Phoenix "who burns with the dark light of chaos". Technically the dark eldar are not be chaos junkies, but they sure as hell have a lot in common with them. Throw in a serious grudge between the scorpions and the incubi and it's all but sold.

Bloodknight
20-07-2009, 05:27
n fact, if you put the mandiblasters and the tormentor pistol on the same helmet, you get a scorpion pretty much with pincers and the tail.

Yep. The Incubi helmets have mandibles anyway, if you take a closer look ;)

cuda1179
20-07-2009, 20:33
What I am interested in is the prophecy told in the eldar codex. It states that near the end-times all hte Phoenix Lords will re-unite for one last battle. You know that the first one there will be standing around waiting for the others to arrive. One by one they enter. Then, just as they are about to make their attack plans, Arhra bursts into room, bloodlust in his eyes, making Karandas pretty pissed.

"hey guys, the prophecy said ALL the Phoenix Lords would reunite, so here I am, oh, and I brought some friends with me. Meet my buddy Drahzar.":evilgrin:

spetswalshe
20-07-2009, 21:46
They have nice models...

Did anyone else notice this? I think they look like jester-tools in Santa hats.