PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: People who can draw Elysians!

Chaos and Evil
05-01-2006, 01:27
So I'm putting together a kind of Elysian Guard sourcebook as a gaming companion rather than carrying around IA:3 all the time, and was thinking of putting in some pictures of Elysian Guardsmen doing various cool stuff... anyone feel like drawing some of the coolest troops in 40k? :angel:

nathonicus
05-01-2006, 01:33
Goodness, yes!

*kicks self for getting excited about yet ANOTHER project*

I'm trying to get an illustration portfolio ready this next year, and was thinking about doing some GW themed stuff anyhow. What exactly are you thinking of? I am finishing up a painting in the next two weeks, but after that I'd LOVE to do some Elysians.

Chaos and Evil
05-01-2006, 10:01
Pictures I'd like for the project; Elysians in combat, Elysians jumping from Valkyries, Elysians in victory, Feature action shots of an Elysian Commander & an Elysian Commissar (http://www.planetquake.com/elf/pics/elysians/05jan/1.jpg), shots of Elysian Sentinels / Aircraft / Demolitions tanks in battle.

Valid opponents in battle would be the Tau during the Taros Campaign (Taros Campaign Uniform) (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/elys8sm.jpg), The Orks during the Armageddon Campaign (Armageddon Uniform) (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/dtp5.jpg), and of course, shots in my own regiment's colourscheme (The Elysian 24th) (http://www.planetquake.com/elf/pics/elysians/05jan/2.jpg) fighting pretty much anyone. If a picture is B&W or against opponents other than Tau or Orks, different colourschemes are appropriate ;)

I'm basically gonna write a whole codex for them, complete with how-to painting section, army list composition tips, gaming shots etc, and just like a real codex I'd like a few artworks in there. I'll be attempting one or three myself but I'm little more than a sketcher unfortunatly.

NorthernMike
06-01-2006, 13:15
i could probably do a quick something for you. I love Elysians. Did a Praetorian guard in a thread a bit ago for a campaign or something. Never finished it though. See what I can do tomorrow, but no promises ok? Besides, you may not even like what i do, just act like it ok. haha.

TrollTyg
06-01-2006, 21:30
Can do some, but i want the creds for the job :D
Havent posted anything of my art so far, maby you want a lite taste of what im capable of?

MIGHTYPanhead
06-01-2006, 22:37
my oh my, how did i miss this?

i'd love to do up some elysians, but not in colour (my scanner hates colour)

i'll do some up, and see how they turn out

NorthernMike
07-01-2006, 05:09
Well as I said, I would try to give you a pic today. So, after I woke up today, I spent about 4 hours doodling this out. I actually used your colors for the uniform, meaning I pasted in a pic of your model, then eyedropped the colors from your paint job. haha. It was fun. Sorry, after I did it I realized you wanted more "fighting" shots and with the commissar. I basically just read your topic sentance and started, guess that is what I get for skimming through it so fast. Miss the details. Hope you like it, and that it works for you.

PS. My invoice will be in the mail, and I do accept cheques, haha. No really I need your address.

Just kidding, Actually, I would love to get a copy of it when you are done, that is all I would ask.

StugMeister
07-01-2006, 14:46
Yet another cool pic from NorthernMike! What program do you use?

malika
07-01-2006, 15:07
@NorthernMike: brilliant stuff once again! I really like your style of drawing! Check out your pm btw;)

Chaos and Evil
07-01-2006, 18:13
Just kidding, Actually, I would love to get a copy of it when you are done, that is all I would ask.

Holy moley! That's amazing! (The picture, not the request for money!)

I won't mind giving out copies of it once I'm done at all... For that I'll need your address ;)

Chaos and Evil
07-01-2006, 18:15
my oh my, how did i miss this?

i'd love to do up some elysians, but not in colour (my scanner hates colour)

i'll do some up, and see how they turn out

B&W's cool, it saves on my colour printing costs too :)

MIGHTYPanhead
07-01-2006, 20:51
i'll have one or two done by monday, school's starting back up then, so i want to get stuff done before i turn back into a zombie :cries:

NorthernMike
08-01-2006, 00:27
Thanks for the comments guys. Elysians have always had a bit of a soft spot for me, or maybe I have always had a solf spot for them.
Anyways, for those who wanted to know, I mainly use corel painter. And I use the oil pastels in that program. Though you will probably need a wacom tablet, and some serious horsepower. Painter is more of a memory hog than most other 2D art programs out there. If you get it with a slower computer, stay away from the slow fancy brushes, and for doodling just keep it 72dpi.
That was probably a bit more than you were asking for but oh well.
C&E, if you are going to need a higher res image of that let me know and I will try to send one to you. I live currently in Korea, and then late next year I will be back in Canada, so I don't really expect a copy. But if you put it to file format I would gladly accept that as well as I know a few good printers (kinda work for one).
As for doing more artwork for other progests, I can't really commit to that right now malika, though you have a really nice couple of pages and websites. Saw loads of Stug's art there as well, some really nice stuff!

malika
08-01-2006, 02:16
Well you dont have to join up...I just thought it might perhaps be possible to use your artwork, of course you would be fully creditted for it.

NorthernMike
08-01-2006, 07:43
Yeah, by all means. You can use whatever you want.

Chaos and Evil
08-01-2006, 11:47
Thanks for the comments guys. Elysians have always had a bit of a soft spot for me, or maybe I have always had a solf spot for them.
Anyways, for those who wanted to know, I mainly use corel painter. And I use the oil pastels in that program. Though you will probably need a wacom tablet, and some serious horsepower. Painter is more of a memory hog than most other 2D art programs out there. If you get it with a slower computer, stay away from the slow fancy brushes, and for doodling just keep it 72dpi.
That was probably a bit more than you were asking for but oh well.
C&E, if you are going to need a higher res image of that let me know and I will try to send one to you. I live currently in Korea, and then late next year I will be back in Canada, so I don't really expect a copy. But if you put it to file format I would gladly accept that as well as I know a few good printers (kinda work for one).
As for doing more artwork for other progests, I can't really commit to that right now malika, though you have a really nice couple of pages and websites. Saw loads of Stug's art there as well, some really nice stuff!

Grabbing a highres version sounds sweet to me. :)

malika
08-01-2006, 14:49
Yeah, by all means. You can use whatever you want.

Cheers! Im curious do you have more stuff? Maybe a deviantart page or something? :evilgrin:

StugMeister
08-01-2006, 15:03
Anyways, for those who wanted to know, I mainly use corel painter.

I thought that might be the case.

as I know a few good printers (kinda work for one).

Really? What kinda work do they do? I work at a Digital Printers in Brighton, running a Kodak NexPress machine. I also do all the tech support, artwork and pre-press etc.

Saw loads of Stug's art there as well, some really nice stuff!

Cheers mr!:D

NorthernMike
09-01-2006, 00:35
Well Chaos, if you can pm me a address then I can hook you up. However, I forgot that you needed this for print. I will have to convert the RGB to CMYK for you. Normally dulls the colors a bit, but I will do what I can. Unless you want to do it, then I will just send you the RGB vrs.

Sorry Malika, I don't have any more GW art on the web or anything. However I do have a non related webcomic that I just started. I don't spend loads of time on it, and mostly just to keep my skills sharp. But you can check it out here (think Dick Tracy) http://chuckchance.blogspot.com

Stug, I work for a company that also has a prepress dtp. However, until I moved out here I used to manage the book department. Children's books actually is what I illustrate. We also produce gift bags, stationary, gift wrap, and other things. It is great.

Ivan Stupidor
09-01-2006, 02:07
...and I add another webcomic to my Favorites folder. Curse you.

Used-up-User
11-01-2006, 00:22
Well Chaos, if you can pm me a address then I can hook you up. However, I forgot that you needed this for print. I will have to convert the RGB to CMYK for you. Normally dulls the colors a bit, but I will do what I can. Unless you want to do it, then I will just send you the RGB vrs.

Sorry Malika, I don't have any more GW art on the web or anything. However I do have a non related webcomic that I just started. I don't spend loads of time on it, and mostly just to keep my skills sharp. But you can check it out here (think Dick Tracy) http://chuckchance.blogspot.com

Stug, I work for a company that also has a prepress dtp. However, until I moved out here I used to manage the book department. Children's books actually is what I illustrate. We also produce gift bags, stationary, gift wrap, and other things. It is great.

Sweet pics!

Pillx
15-01-2006, 10:42
This is not original work IMHO. I was screwing around with some stuff...
Love the pic you did, Mike!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Pillx/Screwing_w_Valkyries01a.jpg

I've been considering doing a "jump scene" but still up in the air about its execution.

NorthernMike
15-01-2006, 13:16
Pillx, were you playing with filters? Looks good! I love doing that, sometimes I almost forget what I am doing because I have been messing around for so long.

I was really considering a jump scene as well. Watch Navy Seals, they have a great scene in there. If I were to do one, I would do it from under and behind the Valk, so you could see the dudes, droping out over the bay door edge into your line of sight. hmmmmm.....

So far behind other personal work........but so tempting......

And I still have to get the first one CMYKed and sent to Chaos (Its coming, just give me the week please)

Pillx
15-01-2006, 16:03
Yeah actually I have an inspiration piece of some HALO work (not HAHO -no leads being used) out of I think a C-130. I'll have to look at it again. I don't think it was an Osprey.

I was futzing with a number of filters to see what I can do to create a painterly effect without applying strokes of my own. There are still a number of things I think I could have done to it but didn't now that I think about it. Didn't get any sleep last night for whatever reason so as long as I'm awake, I might try my hand at more experimenting.

I have an unbelievable amount of personal projects myself. At least getting out a few quick things gives some sense of accomplishment for motivation I guess. Maybe. :p

You know... looking at it just now, I think I adjusted the artificial stroke directions in the wrong direction and made the bias a bit too strong. At least for the major layer I applied....

Chaos and Evil
15-01-2006, 19:12
I like it :)

Any chance of a bigger version? :)

Pillx
15-01-2006, 19:15
How much bigger? O_o

Chaos and Evil
15-01-2006, 23:17
how big can you go? :)

Okay, 2-4 times bigger :)

NorthernMike
16-01-2006, 00:50
I would also dublicate the whole image and then apply an overlay or mutliply effect and take the opacity down a bit. That will make the colors pop out a bit more. I just love those reds in the gound.

Pillx
16-01-2006, 01:42
I think adjusting the curves, and hue/contrast might give a bit better control if you're shooting for more contrast and intensity? I actually changed it from a grey-yellow to the red you see. It's a bit faded because I was trying to give a sense of diffusion. Guess that didn't work huh? :p

Chaos -did you want it larger for print purposes? I can just make it 300 dpi if you need it that way...

Mike, do you have any suggestions on color correction with adapting from RGB to CMYK for print? I understand that certain colors tend to bleed or wash.

Chaos and Evil
16-01-2006, 01:45
Both for print purposes and for pure resolution... it's not very big on my screen at the moment.

StugMeister
16-01-2006, 08:00
Mike, do you have any suggestions on color correction with adapting from RGB to CMYK for print? I understand that certain colors tend to bleed or wash.

Where I work we're able to take RGB images and output them to our Kodak digital press as RGB, the press itself deals with all the conversion and outputs the colours brilliantly.

NorthernMike
16-01-2006, 11:09
Yes, Stug is right. You can also take them to your local "digital picture" printer as in Photos as they are also in RGB. But that may be a bit more expensive.

However, for regular printers you will still have to print it out CMYK. For me it seems that blue is generally hard hit by the conversion, and so anything that has blue in it as well. What I generally do is open 2 identical versions in PS, then convert one of them to CMYK. You should immediatly see what colors change. Then it is kinda your call. I normally fiddle with "curves" as well as the "hue/saturation" since you can control certain colors from the menu. Being able to see and match the old version is the best. It keeps you from getting too carried away.

Personally, I always try to work in CMYK Documents, unless it is just for the web, but even then, you never know when you want to print something. PS and Illustrator both have the option to work in CMYK, but Painter seems to only have the RGB, snd HSV (Hue Saturation Value i think). At least that I have figured out so far. I am still learning that program at the moment, and have many new mediums to try yet. I just love the oil pastels so much.

Pillx
16-01-2006, 11:39
I'm just converting the image to CMYK for Chaos just in case. All the work I've done to date hasn't needed too see print as they tend to be used on the computer or TV but that's good to know. Thanks!

StugMeister
16-01-2006, 12:00
I'm just converting the image to CMYK for Chaos just in case. All the work I've done to date hasn't needed too see print as they tend to be used on the computer or TV but that's good to know. Thanks!

Course, the other thing you have to bear in mind is that everybody's monitors are calibrated differently. Your pic might have a bluish hue to it whereas on their screen it might be kinda green. Therefore the colours that will be printed might be more different still.

Also, don't expect it to come out the same as your desktop inkjet, its kinda the same principle as with the monitors.

Pillx
16-01-2006, 13:05
I color correct my monitor though I use the poor man's approach as opposed to those fancy ones that will cost you a few thousand dollars so hopefully it will be at some kind of median... :p

I won't be printing it out for myself. These days, clients/companies want to see portfolio stuff submitted on video (a whole different color correction mess) or online. Strangely enough some companies avoid CD submissions. My hard copy portfolio hasn't been updated in a couple of years now. O_o;

nathonicus
23-01-2006, 02:34
Here's a sketch of a cover style composition. I'm thinking of doing it in watercolors. Anybody have suggestions/ spot any obvious errors before I get going?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/nathonicus/Art%20Pieces/elysiansketchmed.jpg

Chaos and Evil
24-01-2006, 17:17
I like it, it's got a 'busy' style going on there.

nathonicus
30-01-2006, 06:54
Here's the sketch transferred to board and ready to paint. It's going to be oils, which means I have to do it outside, which means it has to be during daylight AND when it's not raining, so progress may be slow as I live in the rainny, rainny, rainny Northwest. But progress there will be!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/nathonicus/Art%20Pieces/warhammer_elysian_drop_troops_web.jpg

StugMeister
30-01-2006, 08:29
Can't wait to see how this pic turns out Nathonicus. What kinda colours are you gonna go for? Desert/sandy hues or lush, vibrant forest/jungle colours?

nathonicus
30-01-2006, 08:40
Can't wait to see how this pic turns out Nathonicus. What kinda colours are you gonna go for? Desert/sandy hues or lush, vibrant forest/jungle colours?

That's a good question! I had planned desert tans with lots of dust for the landscape, greyish/blue uniforms and some blue sky behind the incoming valkyrie, but your post makes me think of a whole new set of options! It might be cool to do it in dark forest greens and greys, bluish uniforms and grey/white clouds with a shaft of sunlight following the valkyrie.

Hmm...now I ahve to think! Dang....

Sneck
30-01-2006, 08:44
I'll try to draw elysians too, but it will take some time because im too damn slow drawer.