PDA

View Full Version : HE Lord with Griffon?

feintstar
16-07-2009, 03:56
Is it feasible?

How's this for a (totally insane) plan:

3 Combat Heroes (incl Korhil, for example)
Prince on Griffon with Greatweapon
- Radient Gem of Hoeth, 2x dispell scrolls and Talisman of Loec

KEEP IT HIDDEN, and use the Ld if possible.
As magic defence, its a scroll caddy but it also has the raw attack power of almost a Dragonlord. It just can't take any damage, so use it to charge fastmovers and challenge characters who WILL DIE.

Of course he will die if he gets hit, but better that you know that and keep him hidden than, like a Dragonlord, you feel confident of its abilities and send it off where it gets shot to bits.

Thinking of throwing it in a Chracian List with White Lions, Great Eagles, Lion Chariots and Korhil. No Cav means that a reserve flier to counter enemy flankers isn't so dumb, and a terror causing US 5 could turn the flanks where no-one esle could. Add in 2 GEs and you 'could' win a combat against a ranked unit, but you'd need to pick your target.

At worst, he could be a psychological threat sitting behind your lines, but a terrible point sink for all that.

Please feel free to describe a less insane loadout.

MasterSparks
16-07-2009, 09:30
I would probably drop one of the Scrolls and instead give him the Armour of Caledor to provide him some form of save along with resistance to flaming attack for both himself and his mount.

The Griffon is obviously not the optimal choice for a monstrous mount when you look at what a Dragon offers you, although it doesn't use up an additional hero choice. I think the idea is worth a try, it'll be a unique experience if nothing else. :)

Catferret
16-07-2009, 10:35
I'd probably run a lance over a great weapon for the bonus save a shield would provide, as well as the higher strength (granted, it only works the turn you charge but I imagine the intention isn't to get stuck in a protracted combat).

Kalandros
16-07-2009, 10:48
Eltharion the Grim is one of the more balanced Special Character in recent books, I'd say him on his Gryphon is a good choice. The Gryphon gets 5+ Ward Save too.

EvC
16-07-2009, 11:29
Eltharion is definitely a better choice- the Griffon also gets an extra wound and makes him US5 on his own which is nice.

I'm using a Prince on Griffon currently, it's running ok, but "also has the raw attack power of almost a Dragonlord", simply, no, sadly. With only 4 S5 attacks, even though I've got Star Lance, this Lord can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Yesterday I charged him in the flank of a Marauder Block with BSB, did 1 wound on his BSB, got killed in return. But then his only defence is Loremaster's Cloak, Enchanted Shield and Gem of Courage. The Cloak is a funny one, it meant that when my Prince got Gatewayed turn 1 I let it go, and enjoyed saving the effects with 2+ ward. Of course then he just cast it on my Swordmasters the next few turns, until I could no longer stop it, and he killed 10 and panicked the survivor with BSB, who could no longer rally. Now that's skill.

feintstar
16-07-2009, 11:39
Depends on which Dragon :)

4 S5s + 4 S6s with talisman rerolls looks deadly enough to me. That's theoryhammer I admit, but a wet paper bag... I was hoping not to have to fight my way 'out' of a wet paper bag, but rather 'through' a dry, preferably brittle paper bag.

But I had not considered Eltharion TBH, I don't have the book on me so I'll have to look it up.

But the point was a scroll caddy lord that could do damage, fly and cause terror, thus freeing up all 3 hero slots for combat heroes to actually win the battle in the conventional manner. If up against a combat army, then it'd suck, and wherever the enemy Combat Lord was, I would lose, but I'd have 1 more combat hero than them, so I should be able to win everywhere the Lord isn't. And if up against a magic army, I'd have 4 combat heroes including a terror causing flier to hunt the mages with.

EvC
16-07-2009, 14:10
I certainly like the idea, also like seeing Chaos Lords with Book of Secrets and 3 dispel scrolls as their only magic defence, but is it effective... well, you'll have to tell us ;)

WhiteKnight
17-07-2009, 06:42
If only griffons were mounts for nobles. Then we'd have a reason to use them.

sroblin
17-07-2009, 19:14
Depends on which Dragon :)
thus freeing up all 3 hero slots for combat heroes to actually win the battle in the conventional manner.

That's 1/2 your army right there in characters, and high elf heroes are definitely not the win-battles-by-themselves kind. They normally can be EITHER hitty or hard to kill, and the hitty ones are merely decent at that IMO. It would be difficult to field a large enough army for these heroes to support in 'the conventional manner' with the remaining 1000 points. Spending 50 points on the Radiant Gem to only gain a single dispel dice (and too little casting ability to actually be useful) also seems a raw deal. Does let you take the scrolls, though.

Perhaps if you have a very clever hero setup, you could run an MSU kind of army? But otherwise, the price of all those heroes is going to make conventional attrition battles prohibitively costly.

decker_cky
17-07-2009, 21:35
Wouldn't you be better to get pretty close to the the same effect just using a magic defensive dragon mage along with a fighty mage and a fighty hero? It's cheaper and gives you a breath weapon, which I think would make the choice a lot more flexible.

feintstar
17-07-2009, 22:23
But it takes p 2 hero slots to use a dragon mage, and it doesn't have the attack capability. Seriously.

If you get the flaming sword off, then it works, but you won't cos he's your only mage.
If you don't, then the sun dragons attacks are the same as the Griffon, and the Prince with a great weapon and Talisman of Loec craps all over a dragonmage.

You say with a fighty mage and a fighty hero, but what's a combat mage if not a dragon mage? What you describe leaves the list with only 1.5 viable close combat characters to support rank and file units in combat.

Mine has 4. :)

decker_cky
17-07-2009, 22:48
Sorry. Meant take a fight lord and a fight hero. And my setup spends several hundred fewer points on characters.