PDA

View Full Version : (Dark Elves) 2,250 Points - Now Monster Free

The SkaerKrow
16-07-2009, 13:19
I've been running roughly the same Dark Elf list since just before the release of the 7th Edition book, a Warrior heavy list with two Chariots, a Manticore, Hydra and (recently) with a pair of Assassins. In an effort to get the next third of my Dark Elf collection painted and on the table, I've drafted up a new list that will force me to use some units that I'm not accustomed to.

HEROES
1 Master 147pts @
on Cold One
General
Halberd
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Pendant of Khaeleth

1 Death Hag 225pts
with Cauldron of Blood
Rune of Khaine

1 Sorceress 185pts #
Level Two
Darkstar Cloak
Dispel Scroll

1 Sorceress 185pts $
Level Two
Seal of Ghrond
Power Stone

1 Assassin 146pts %
Additional Hand Weapon
Rune of Khaine
Manbane

CORE
10 Repeater Crossbowkin 105pts #
Musician

10 Repeater Crossbowkin 105pts
Musician

20 Dark Elf Warriors 174pts $
Shields
Standard, Musician
War Banner

5 Harpies 55pts

5 Harpies 55pts

SPECIAL
6 Cold One Knights 237pts
Full Command
Standard of Slaughter

5 Cold One Knights 175pts @
Full Command

15 Black Guard 255pts %
Full Command
Banner of Murder

RARE
2 Reaper Bolt Throwers 200pts

Power/Dispel: 7/5 (1 Scroll)

I've marked each character with a symbol to indicate which units that I intend to match them with.

The equipment on the Master is dictated completely by the appearance of the model that I converted up for her (eventually I'll realize that instead of picking figures that look cool, I need to use those that will afford me better WYSIWYG options).

I feel a bit undergunned with this list, bringing only two dedicated hammers with me (I'm used to running four), though that may have something to do with me underestimating the potential of the Cauldron of Blood. On the subject of the Cauldron of Blood, I'm debating whether to keep the Death Hag with the Rune of Khaine for the added hitting power against chargers, or to make her a Battle Standard Bearer. Then again, when my Dark Elf units lose close combat they tend to do so by a wide margin, so the Battle Standard may not be especially practical in this list.

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Feel free to share.

willowdark
16-07-2009, 13:36
But the Black Guard are Stubborn, so loosing by a lot won't matter, but you'll have that re-roll for those freak 10's, 11's and 12's. Personally, I'd love the CoB as the BSB, and I'd try to find room for Manbane and the ASF banner. the CoB can be a tough nut to crack, but ASF, frenzy, Rune of Khaine and Manbane will be huge for points denial.

Now, to accomplish this, there are certain things I'd like to do if it were my list. If it seems too radical, just say so.

I'd loose one sorceress in favor of a single caddy and the Ring of Hotek on the CoKs. Then, with the points I'd upgrade the CoB and pick up a 3rd bolt thrower. You have the rare space available, so I'd use it. And there is just too much potential for 2 RBTs alone to under perform. 3 will give you a great return on your investment.

Otherwise, I think it's a great list. Looks like a lot of fun.

The SkaerKrow
21-07-2009, 13:20
I understand that the Ring/Caddy combo is tactically sound, but I can't divorce myself entirely from the Magic Phase like that. It's just too much fun, and I like participating in every phase of the game to some degree.

On the other hand, I will be switching out the Rune of Khaine on my Cauldron in favor of a Battle Standard Bearer. I don't usually run BSBs in any of my armies, but as you pointed out it will be a valuable addition in an army with Black Guard.

I wouldn't mind dropping a third RBT into the list, but two have been sufficient for my purposes. I tend to use them to cripple or destroy enemy support units and war machines, or harrass monsters when possible. They aren't effective at destroying ranked infantry (though they are good for knocking out rank bonuses), but I only tend to shoot at them as a last resort.

willowdark
21-07-2009, 14:37
I see a lot of varying perspectives on Bolt Throwers. When shooting supports RBTs can be devastating, but if you're going up against big monsters like BT, Dragons and Stegs than 2 just don't seem to do what you need them to do. Truth is, I used 3 for a while but have settled on 2. I just thought that you'd have room for it without a Hydra. Either way.

I agree completely that once you start playing in every phase you have almost no reason not to. Especially with the Dark elf magic phase, it is just so much fun.

What I would say is that to free up points you could loose either the Master or Assassin. They are mostly performing the same job but are eating up points. The CoB BSB will be vulnerable, ASF with Rune and Manbane would be ideal, since I'd expect a good opponent to go after your Hag at some point.