PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought HL2 Limited Edition?

neXus6
08-05-2005, 19:08
I'm considering buying the Half Life 2 Limited edition tin box.
It comes with HL2, HL:Source and Counterstrike:Source.
I know the two "Source" ones are avaliable free off Steam, so the only thing really going for this thing over just buying HL2 is the free t-shirt.

So the important question do any of you know what the t-shirt is like, colour, design?
All I know is it's XL which is fine.

:p My PC can't even run the game, it's just a "buy it now and keep it till I get a new PC" deal, and also get a nice T-Shirt...if the T-Shirt is indeed nice.

Cheesejoff
08-05-2005, 19:45
My friend bought it, the T-shirt is black with the Hl2 logo in the middle of it.

DaViEsW
08-05-2005, 19:51
Can someone break down this whole "Steam" thing for me? I've been meaning to get HL2 for a while (to settle my own debate of HL2 vs Halo 2) but I assume you can't just put the DVD in and install?

neXus6
08-05-2005, 20:23
Thanks CJ that's what I was hoping for a nice black T-Shirt with the logo, I may have to go buy it now. :p

Sorry DaViE I can't help you there but seeing as my question has been answered feel free to hijack the thread.

grey_painter
08-05-2005, 22:34
To install HL-2 and get it to work you've got to install steam and connect to the internet. Steam will then decrypt all the HL-2 data you installed so it will run as well as patch the game up to date.

Problems:
A) The game is then tied into your email address making it pretty much impossible to resell.
B) It can take a few hours for all this to occur and actually allow you to play the game.

So long as you don't plan to resell the game and have plenty of patience (or a good book to read) Steam isn't a problem. Have heard some horror stories about connection problems to the Steam severs but that was back when the game was released. Probably solved by now.

Kittah
09-05-2005, 04:38
Out of curiosity - what's everyone's problem with Steam? Sure, it's annoying that they're so careful about protecting their software, but they have a right to it. Surely that can't be all the fuss? I've never had a problem with Steam, and I think it's a brilliant way of distributin patches and the like - better Steam than the Blizzard downloader on World of Warcraft.

Cypher
09-05-2005, 04:54
The shirt is pretty cool, although a tad big for my scrawny little frame. It's black with a small silver HL2 logo on the front: it's a very good design for a game tshirt (which always tend to have overly large logos and URLs everywhere).

As for Steam: the key to designing a good piece of software intended to be used as a middleware interface is that it should be transparent, and Steam isnt. It's buggy, it has a tendancy to do things you dont want it to, and it's basically a pain in the ****. If a company wants to have a program to manage all their software, it's critical that the average user is barely aware that there is a program running at all.

alterion
09-05-2005, 06:28
if your looking for a bargin cehck amazon.. they had the l.e set for 15 yesterday

neXus6
09-05-2005, 10:20
Well unfortunatly I can't find it now, but I have found it brand new for 27 including postage, which is a good enough deal for me.
:D Now all I need is a PC that can run it, and hopefully this will be my motivation.

Surely steam must have some way of letting you change your set email address, it can't expect you to have the same one forever. :eek: