PDA

View Full Version : Not a good week...

Ulrig
16-07-2009, 19:39
I Prime all of my figures with Krylon Satin Black spray Paint. It always covers well and gives me the exact texture I am looking for.
One can I used must of been bad. I went to put another coat on and noticed everything looks ashed over black. Really really rough texture that looks awful and hides all the detail. It looks like a flat spray paint was used and got clumpy. So in simple green dip it goes. The SG takes it right off with little effort, but it also degrades the Green Stuff I had covering the seems of plastic and magnets. So I get to spend hours re-applying magnets to carnifex arms again.

I also ordered some stuff off of ebay. A malenthrope and a brood nest, each from a different seller. The brood nest came in today, only problem was there was no brood nest. It was actually two upper torsos of dreadnaughts. One chaos(nurgle maybe?) and one space marine.

SPYDER68
16-07-2009, 19:50
Krylon can do that if the tip gets dirty / coated with paint.

MarshalFaust
16-07-2009, 19:50
i have had the same thing happen to me a couple of times, i think it had to do with the humidity maybe. i have even tested on a test model that looked fine and then clumped up on my real models. anyways i stopped spraying my models completely, sure it may take a bit longer to basecoat them by hand but you never run the risk of screwing up your models and it has actually saved my time in the end because i never have to go back and redo it. although i understand your dilema with playing nids thats a whole lot of models to basecoat

de Selby
16-07-2009, 19:58
Can't help with the paint but for the brood nest issue, check with your seller. I got completely the wrong thing once and suspected shenanigans, but it turned out to be an innocent mistake and I was able to exchange items with another buyer to get the correct mini at no extra cost to myself.

Nexus Trimean
16-07-2009, 20:55
Also be aware, Heat and humidity can affect spraypaint. (i cant paint in the summer, the spraypaint dries before it hits the mini. and then flakes off)

MarshalFaust
16-07-2009, 21:33
thats also why i stopped spraying, where i live the winter is 30-40F most of the time and summers are 100F+ with 90% humidity absolutely horrible conditions for spraying

Nexus Trimean
16-07-2009, 21:39
The only option if it is the weather (hot or cold) is to spray inside, just make sure you cover everything

MarshalFaust
16-07-2009, 21:41
i tried that once, i thought i was going to have to get a divorce :)

chaos0xomega
16-07-2009, 21:57
I also ordered some stuff off of ebay. A malenthrope and a brood nest, each from a different seller. The brood nest came in today, only problem was there was no brood nest. It was actually two upper torsos of dreadnaughts. One chaos(nurgle maybe?) and one space marine.

I assume that you saw pictures of the actual item before you purchased it? if so, contact the seller, he may have shipped the wrong item to the wrong person. Otherwise, you might have been taken...

Exia Angel
16-07-2009, 22:15
I've had this happen to me several times as well.

Firstly, you don't have to use the world's best spray paint. Go to a "dollar store" or "dollar tree" (usu. one with a hardware/paint section,some have spray paints, some don't) and just pick up a few cheap cans of flat or satin black. I've had GREAT results with these, even in high heat/humidity.

Secondly, I found the flakiness/spottyness to occur when you spray too much on a model, or a certain area. It's just in how you spray, and like anything else, you just get better at it.

-Exia

Loki73
17-07-2009, 01:20
Also be aware, Heat and humidity can affect spraypaint. (i cant paint in the summer, the spraypaint dries before it hits the mini. and then flakes off)

I feel your pain...I really do, it was 115 today! But OT ...that sounds like a weather issue.

Murphys Avatar
17-07-2009, 01:26
Spraying inside is bad. Took me ages to clean that damn bathroom.....

It gets so hot that the paint dries before it hits the miniature...... that must be hot

On a serious note there are bad cans out there. Always, always test spray a new can.