PDA

View Full Version : warhammer begginner question...

Fay_Redd
16-07-2009, 20:30
I don't have the rulebook to referance yet so i need to know, can i have a great weapon on my saurus scar-vet and a shield?

if you are a lizardmen player what are your scar veteran set-ups?

Paz
16-07-2009, 20:45
I don't have the rulebook to referance yet so i need to know, can i have a great weapon on my saurus scar-vet and a shield?

if you are a lizardmen player what are your scar veteran set-ups?

Yes, you may equip him with both but at the very start of combat you chose greater waepon or weapon+shield.

My friend usualy goes: enchanted shield, burning blade of chotec and a cold one

Fay_Redd
16-07-2009, 20:47
ah, i seeee. Thankyou Paz. thats cleared that up.

o.k one last thing what does a halberd do?

Drachen_Jager
16-07-2009, 21:25
Remember a Great Weapon only gives +1 when you're mounted so a Halberd is better, it gives +1 but you don't strike last.

Ultimate Life Form
16-07-2009, 21:35
Halberd grants +1 to Strength and does require the use of both hands, so it's like a weaker great weapon without the added malus of striking last.

Analysis: Halberd and Scarvet:

- Obviously, +1S is not as good as +2S. Especially in this case, where +2S means auto-kill against chariots.

- Requires two hands: Neither Halberd nor Great weapon does have an advantage here

- No always strike last: It would seem this is an advantage of the Halberd. However, Scarvet has I3, which means he will probably strike last against most things regardless of rule or no, so this is only a weak argument.

Result: Don't bother with Halberds for your Scarvet.

My favorite setup: Jaguar Vet

Scarvet with Great Weapon, Light Armor, Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior.

You're looking at a T5 S7 close combat monster with a 3+ Armor Save who can fly. It does have two major applications: With Great Weapon and without.

1) With Great weapon: Activate Jag Charm as soon as chariots are in reach. If it goes off, charge the chariot and choose great weapon. With 4 S7 attacks, he will smash entire units of them.

2) Without Great Weapon: If you read the rules, you will find that all models automatically count as equipped with a Hand Weapon in addition to everything they may otherwise have, so you can always choose to use it instead of the Great Weapon (note: if a model has a magic weapon, it MUST use it). Now by use of the Charm you can charge an annoying support unit that is really getting on your nerves, like fast cavalry (Goblin Wolf Riders) or small blocks of archers who are notoriously underequipped. With S5, he will still wound on 2, but he will get the "parry" save. Now you have a T5 model with 4 S5 attacks with a 2+ AS steamrollering a bunch of sissies who cannot even scratch him. Fly back to your unit after the job's finished or go and smash yourself a few War machines.

nosferatu1001
16-07-2009, 22:16
He can fly as long as you get your bound spell goes off, whcih you need a fair amount of magic to even have a fair chance.....everything else is good advice :D

Fay_Redd
16-07-2009, 22:17
2) Without Great Weapon: If you read the rules, you will find that all models automatically count as equipped with a Hand Weapon in addition to everything they may otherwise have, so you can always choose to use it instead of the Great Weapon (note: if a model has a magic weapon, it MUST use it)

So as i understand it, i can buy one of the common magic items weapons such as Sword of Battle and use it instead of the great weapon in the second type of attacks for the jaguar vet. If so thats an even more awesome set-up than i 1st realised and you can have a cookie for this wonderful in-depth reply.

Caboose123
16-07-2009, 22:18
Beginner
That one always bugs me.

Halberds are +1 S, strike in I order, 2 handed.
Great Weapons are +2 S, +1 S if mounted, Strikes last, 2 handed.

I 3 isn't very good, but at least he'll strike before other Great Weapons. I agree that Great Weapons are a good choice on scar vets, best to spend the points on other items.

EDIT: Ninja'd response!
If you have the Sword of Battle and the Great Weapon you must use the Sword though, its magical. Also I'm fairly certain you pick what weapons you use for the combat in the first round, and you don't get any chance to swap until you finish the combat.

Fay_Redd
16-07-2009, 22:19
the spell is power level 5, which goes off on a 5 or more. but how would a non-magic user model 'cast' it. or is magic usage just a generic stock of power dice and anyone with a power can use them.

Ultimate Life Form
16-07-2009, 23:07
the spell is power level 5, which goes off on a 5 or more. but how would a non-magic user model 'cast' it. or is magic usage just a generic stock of power dice and anyone with a power can use them.

You got it mixed up. There's no real magic involved here; it's a bound item. It's activated during magic phase and can be dispelled like a spell, but other than that, it works completely different.

Bound items provide a certain effect that can be activated by the bearer of the item who does not need to be a wizard at all, like in our case. The effect has been bound to the item and can be induced by simply activating the item, like switching a torchlight on or something. Though you don't have the innate power to cast forth a ray of light, you can do it by use of the torchlight, right? The energy required is bound to the item itself, in this case in form of batteries.

It's the same with bound items. It automatically works and needs no further activation energy. Bound items may generate all kinds of effects. In this case, it's a bound spell, but it could be any random effect really. Like, for example, generating light.

Now the bound effect has a spell level, which means it can be dispelled by the opponent. He does so by rolling his Dispel Dice, and by matching or exceeding the spell level, the effect is dispelled and doesn't resolve. This is where the torchlight analogy ends. You could imagine your opponent drained the batteries or caused a short circuit. However, unless it was one use only, you may try again in later turns.

This basically means you cannot rely on the Jag Charm alone because unless the enemy rolls double 1, he will probably dispel it. It works well in my list however because I usually have an Engine of the Gods and a L2 Skink Priest who do a good job at drawing enemy dispel dice and scrolls so the Jag Charm has a better chance at succeeding. I can however not recommend it for a magic-free list.

Dragune
16-07-2009, 23:22
Well one of my favorite scar vet set ups is to have him on a cold one, with the burning blade of chotec -2 AS, Enchanted Shield, and possibly bane head. It's done pretty well for me so far. I think everyone else answered you other questions but if not go ahead and ask some more.

nosferatu1001
17-07-2009, 10:11
Dragune - a scar vet cannot have a -2AS: the best he can get is:

5+ scaly skin
4+ light armour
2+ Cold one
0+ enchanted shield

As he is mounted there is no HW+Shield bonus.

Ultimate Life Form
17-07-2009, 10:13
Dragune - a scar vet cannot have a -2AS: the best he can get is:

5+ scaly skin
4+ light armour
2+ Cold one
0+ enchanted shield

As he is mounted there is no HW+Shield bonus.

You are right here, but I think Dragune actually sought to point out the magic weapon's effect.:p

nosferatu1001
17-07-2009, 11:32
Ah right, perhaps saying "extra" -2AS would have helped me not misunderstand :D

I use the same setup: he hurts chaos knights....

Fay_Redd
17-07-2009, 12:17
Cool, thanks everyone. specially you Ultimate Life Form, i usually learn quickly so all youve said is very helpful on getting me started. I'm still thinking of different situations that my vet might be in at GW oxford among the common opponents.

The jaguar vet sounds like a very good set-up, but since my list in basic and not particularly magic revolved just yet i might have to pick out something other than that.

The burning blade of chotec sounds like a very widely used item so ill have to look into that.

again, thanks everyone.

nosferatu1001
17-07-2009, 14:19
If you were planning on using the Jag Scar Vet then an Engine or two (awesome model( can give you some decent magic quite quickly, without using your lord slot if you want to use a Carnosaur Lord

Look at the bound spell that causes toughness tests - can be nasty against Elf characters, and is another bound to help get your critical spell (jag flying nuke) off.

Fechik
17-07-2009, 15:39
It works well in my list however because I usually have an Engine of the Gods and a L2 Skink Priest who do a good job at drawing enemy dispel dice and scrolls so the Jag Charm has a better chance at succeeding. I can however not recommend it for a magic-free list.

Same here!