PDA

View Full Version : Ironclad dreads

Wut?
16-07-2009, 22:46
how good are ironclad dreads? has anyone got any?

More importantly are they fun, i love the old mechwarrior games (ahh... the 90's.) and love the idea of my two dreads stomping around the battlefield, even if they do die easily.

EVIL INC
16-07-2009, 22:48
I have faced them and found that that extra point of armor can make a difference. Was still fun to play against them. Overall though, I still generally dislike using dreads of any kind due to thier "thin armor" even on ironclads.
Give it a go with a proxy reguler dread a few games to try it out. If you like it, convert one up or buy one.
Enjoy. :)

Animatronica
16-07-2009, 22:52
you think armour 13 is thin? you must only run land raiders then! i know what you mean though, but vehicles arent as fragile as they used to be 4th Ed.

i run a regular dread in a drop pod that shows up in the middle of the enemy army unsupported, and it survives 3 quarters of my games, i cant wait to get my hands on some ironclads!

Archangel_Ruined
16-07-2009, 22:54
If you drop-pod them they're much better, it's the wandering over the battlefield that limits dreads, one lascannon and two rounds of shooting will see most of them off, extra point of armour or not. Drop them behind some cover and walk into some up close and personal smushy fun, it's in close combat that AV13 really shines for a dread.

Wut?
16-07-2009, 22:55
thanks, i quite like using my standard dread (from Black Reach :) ) but it lacks Anti infantry. may convert it or buy new. but i will try some bigger games befor i splash out.

Urath
16-07-2009, 23:22
I would avoid the Ironclad set, unless you like the model. Convert or buy/trade for extra parts on Forge World/Warseer/locally.

mughi3
17-07-2009, 12:27
My dread heavy list runs 3 podding ironclads and they are fantastic. i usually drop them in close and use heavy flamers on exposed infantry and then they usually survive one round of return fire before they mess things up in CC.

Lots of fun, and funny to watch grey knights run away from them.
:evilgrin:

Wut?
17-07-2009, 12:33
having decided to run a ironclad, is a hurricane bolter worth my time? seems pretty naff...

eldaran
17-07-2009, 12:37
No. You want the two close combat arms, and a heavy flamer is, frankly, better for anti-infantry than a hurricane bolter.

Lamoron
17-07-2009, 12:50
AV13 makes a huge difference in melee against S8 fists, makes S4 rending attacks unable to penetrate, and makes you immune to Krak Grenades... The Ironclad is what Dreadnoughts were always supposed to be.

As said, twin heavy flamer him up and drop him in, and you cannot avoid creating havoc. I play against them regularly as orks, and I have yet to kill one in melee (they die pretty fast to shooting though, if you don't mind your facing after assaults).

Wut?
17-07-2009, 13:10
AV13 makes a huge difference in melee against S8 fists, makes S4 rending attacks unable to penetrate, and makes you immune to Krak Grenades... The Ironclad is what Dreadnoughts were always supposed to be.

As said, twin heavy flamer him up and drop him in, and you cannot avoid creating havoc. I play against them regularly as orks, and I have yet to kill one in melee (they die pretty fast to shooting though, if you don't mind your facing after assaults).

Exelent, my reg opponant is ork, and he kills me all the time.

*rubs hands in a big bucket of glee*:D

ashc
17-07-2009, 13:13
Do many people actually like the model? I think its seriously ugly with a capital F.

m_r_parker
17-07-2009, 13:41
I quite like the model actually, I'll be using a pair of them for my WiP Space Hulk-esque Deathwing, even though technically we can't take them.

Ragnor2004
17-07-2009, 13:48
Myself I realy like the model though I would not personally take the hunter killer missiles, becuase I would plan on running mine. I would say the games I expirimented with Ironclads I found that versus most vehicles they did well and carry a good amount of close range firepower, but i'm not sure if they can kill enough for me. Drop podding he could have alot of potential and I have to say I love the av 13 on him.

Legionary
17-07-2009, 13:57
My Ironclad fought a Tzeentch Daemon Prince. The DP needed to roll an eight on two dice to penetrate it. The combat took three turns, and by the end of it the Dreadnought had lost both of its CCWs and was immobilized, but immediately after sustaining those results it took the final wound of the DP and dispatched it.

Ironclads are fantastic and mean that powerfists start to struggle (and even low strength MCs!)

Ekranoplan
17-07-2009, 15:52
What do you guys prefer on your Ironclad?

A melta gun and heavy flamer, or 2 heavy flamers?

Edonil
17-07-2009, 16:41
I'd take a melta gun and heavy flamer, means he can pop a transport and charge the contents.

Mortius27
17-07-2009, 16:45
I take the 2 close combat arms and the meltagun/heavy flamer combo

Vangarde
17-07-2009, 18:01
i am hoping to see the model in person before i commit to buying one. i always liked the forgeworld look more, but i know i probably could convert and carve one out of the chassis of the standard sarcophagus.

Legionary
17-07-2009, 18:26
The model looks fairly awful. All it's got is basically some plasticard stuck to the torso, and two huge and ugly arms. Seriously, just convert it.

loveless
17-07-2009, 19:30
The model looks fairly awful. All it's got is basically some plasticard stuck to the torso, and two huge and ugly arms. Seriously, just convert it.

Or...buy it because you like it?

I don't get all of the people that go "Don't buy it! It's ugly!" - I happen to like the model, so why wouldn't I buy it?

Sorry, it just seems rather silly to tell people to convert it because you think it "looks fairly awful" :rolleyes:

Legionary
17-07-2009, 19:47
Or...buy it because you like it?

I don't get all of the people that go "Don't buy it! It's ugly!" - I happen to like the model, so why wouldn't I buy it?

Sorry, it just seems rather silly to tell people to convert it because you think it "looks fairly awful" :rolleyes:
Obviously it was my opinion, well identified. To put it in a way that you won't find offensive, I think it looks awful, I think you'll be able to make a better looking one.

I know, let's never share our opinions on anything because why bother, it's only our opinions. :rolleyes:

Mega Nutz
17-07-2009, 19:47
I quite like the model actually, I'll be using a pair of them for my WiP Space Hulk-esque Deathwing, even though technically we can't take them.

Exactly what I'm doing..............I really like the heavier, bulkier look!

loveless
17-07-2009, 20:31
Obviously it was my opinion, well identified. To put it in a way that you won't find offensive, I think it looks awful, I think you'll be able to make a better looking one.

I know, let's never share our opinions on anything because why bother, it's only our opinions. :rolleyes:

Then next time you should probably go with "Seriously, I'll just convert it", which is a statement, as opposed to "Seriously, just convert it" which is a command.

The former marks it as your opinion, the latter makes it sound as though you want everyone to just make conversions of it. In other words, you did not identify it as your opinion, but worded it in a way that made it sound as though you were presenting it as fact.

That was all that I found obnoxious. Every topic on "taste" ends up this way - especially on internet forums, since posters play fast and loose with their word choice.

Frankly, you were an example for the entire group saying it - just the closest "quote" button I could click. I'm not attacking your opinion, just questioning your method ;)

The Song of Spears
17-07-2009, 20:43
I use a Ironclad in my Iron Warriors list, i drop pod him in. He is a major threat and like someone said with the low str MC, they just tie them up or sometimes even kill them.

either way they last a ling time. plus the model wit the assault launchers looks sweet! http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m270238a_99120101076_Ironclad2_445x319.jpg

Animatronica
17-07-2009, 21:31
i think they look awesome. ive got mine sitting in front of me and they look even better in the flesh, and yeah the arms are big, but they are designed to take on Bastions and buildings so it kind of makes sense. irrespective of asthetic taste.

The Song of Spears
17-07-2009, 21:59
If you want thicker legs, there are some great Gundam models that can be used to add a bit of height/girth to them. You dont even need to use the whole Gundam leg, just enough to get the effect you want.

mughi3
18-07-2009, 14:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys prefer on your Ironclad?

A melta gun and heavy flamer, or 2 heavy flamers?
With the way i (can't) roll melta guns, i have found the double flamers do wonders for me. i can just grab vehicles if i need to break them with an effective AP1 powerfist/hammer.

Ekranoplan
18-07-2009, 15:28
With the way i (can't) roll melta guns, i have found the double flamers do wonders for me. i can just grab vehicles if i need to break them with an effective AP1 powerfist/hammer.

Yeah, drop podding an iron clad just to get one melta shot that might miss is a bit questionable, but if you also had Vulcan in the army that 1 melta gun becomes very dangerous. The vehicle killing power of the seismic hammer has to wait for a turn after drop podding afterall.

andyg2006
18-07-2009, 15:35
Personally, I'm not a fan of the way they've done the seismic hammer. Would have preferred it to have been like the Chaos Dread hammer; might use something like a LOTR Troll hammer (or scratch build one up if it's not big enough).

Wut?
18-07-2009, 15:42
i don't think that the model is pretty, but that, for me, is part of the appeal. if i wanted beautiful vehicles then i would play eldar. the fact that it is a hideous brute that tears things asunder is what i like.

but hey, each to their own ;)

CrouchingTigerM
18-07-2009, 15:59
just bought 2 of the ironclads today, lovely model and an awesome kit, all of the options are in box and you can make each of the arms which dont even need to be glued on, just finished making it :P

these two go with my other ironclad which is a converted forgeworld dread, all my dreads have/will have the hammer and flamer/melta combo with assault launchers and a pod each

my original ironclad has never failed me and lets hope his brothers dont either

CTM

Wut?
18-07-2009, 16:17
just bought 2 of the ironclads today, lovely model and an awesome kit, all of the options are in box and you can make each of the arms which dont even need to be glued on, just finished making it :P

these two go with my other ironclad which is a converted forgeworld dread, all my dreads have/will have the hammer and flamer/melta combo with assault launchers and a pod each

my original ironclad has never failed me and lets hope his brothers dont either

CTM

that sounds hilarious against codex: loltanks, you could even take the master of the forge and take 3 ironclads as heavy suppourt too, with drop pods this comes to 1020 points, all in the midst of the enemy army :evilgrin:

Ekranoplan
18-07-2009, 16:40
that sounds hilarious against codex: loltanks, you could even take the master of the forge and take 3 ironclads as heavy suppourt too, with drop pods this comes to 1020 points, all in the midst of the enemy army :evilgrin:

6 ironclads, that would be rediculous and awesome in everyway. Just watch out for melta guns and MCs!

CrouchingTigerM
18-07-2009, 16:44
that sounds hilarious against codex: loltanks, you could even take the master of the forge and take 3 ironclads as heavy suppourt too, with drop pods this comes to 1020 points, all in the midst of the enemy army

hehe yeah i recently had a game against the new IG codex which only had 4 "tanks" though, a punisher, another russ variant and 2 valks

only had one pod so the ironclad was down first turn, dropped down right infront of the punisher and unloaded with the melta, which sadly missed XD

it survived a close range melta gun who was on the "bring it down" order and it also survived the punisher's lascannon, luckily i was on a flank behind a buliding or it could have been worse

anyway next turn my clad moved in and immobilized the punisher with its melta gun (also flaming a the command unit with the melta behind it :P) charged in and *BOOM!* goes the punisher

IMHO clads are well worth it and dont always need a pod to work but i like pods

hope this helps

CTM

Wut?
18-07-2009, 16:50
i am definately buying one of these "bad-boys"...

StefDa
18-07-2009, 21:13
I really want to buy one for my Chaos armies... But I already have three Dreadnoughts!

II Orar II
19-07-2009, 14:01
Drop podding dreads are quite frankily deadly of any kind. And they also draw fire from any advancing units (rhinos, LR's assault squads you get the picture).

Animatronica
20-07-2009, 11:25
agreed Orar! thats why my singular one works so well in my regular army like you said! if the anti tank isnt shooting at my other stuff that fine!

on the subject of Ironclads, heres my work in progress...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j119/shemystershadows/PICT0017-4.jpg