PDA

View Full Version : archers in 2 ranks

Earlandir
08-05-2005, 19:21
is there any reasons for having more than one rank of archers? i heard somewhere that back ranks can shoot if your target is a large creature but not sure if this is true.

Festus
08-05-2005, 19:54
Hi

right: ALL back ranks can shoot at a large target and two ranks can shoot if deployed on a hill.

Greetings
Festus

Major Defense
09-05-2005, 01:41
ALL back ranks can shoot at a large target and two ranks can shoot if deployed on a hill.

I would *love* to be able to use that rule in my games because I play the ever-shooty High Elves. Trouble is that I've never seen it in print. Do you have a page # or something?

Zink
09-05-2005, 04:18
Main rule book page 60
"Troops on a hill are considered to be in a good postion to fire, so can fire one additional rank compared to missilie armed troops on flat ground. This means that most bowmen can shoot with two ranks if they are on a hill"
But I couldn't find about everyone being able to shoot at large targets.

Festus
09-05-2005, 07:19
Hi

It is in the main rules regarding LoS: If you can see something, you can shoot it.
Everybody can shoot a large target, because everybody can see it.

There even is a clarification in the Chronicles III on page 112 (German Version, but I believe it is identical in others. If not: Clarifications and FAQ on shooting in the latest chronicles)

Greetings
Festus

Major Defense
09-05-2005, 13:32
Thanks, Festus. It is near the top of the center column on the first page of this Q&A.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/download.htm?/chronicles/faq/assets/warhammer-faq.pdf

Now I can shoot Chaos demon lords more efficiently!

Lordmonkey
25-05-2005, 13:38
Awesome!

To expand on this point further, would this affect line of sight? If all the models in a ranked unit can "see" a large target, does this override the normal 90 arc of sight rule? Would the arc of sight be "shifted" to the back rank in this case?

Festus
25-05-2005, 14:44
Hi

as soon as just one model in the charging unit can see the target, they can draw LoS.
This means that even a back ranker can trace LoS to a large target.

But you still have 90° Arc in most cases.

Greetings
Festus

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-05-2005, 11:04
Awesome!

To expand on this point further, would this affect line of sight? If all the models in a ranked unit can "see" a large target, does this override the normal 90 arc of sight rule? Would the arc of sight be "shifted" to the back rank in this case?

For shooting, you look at each individual models line of sight. So some might be in LoS of the target, and others might not. īSo LoS for shooting isn't worked out on a unit level, meaning that the 'arc' doesn't shift anywhere as there isn't one to begin with(or rather, one per model).

Izram
30-05-2005, 15:30
Now I can shoot Chaos demon lords more efficiently!

Only if they are greater daemons. Exalted daemons and princes are not large targets however big your opponent has modelled them.

Imbroglio
01-06-2005, 15:42
Unfortunatly, generally speaking it is rarely worth taking more than a single rank of archers unless you know for sure you are going to have a hill. You risk soaking up a lot of points creating a block of archers, which are often not that good anyway, if you place hopes on a non guarenteed hill, or a large target. Moreover, there is only likely to be one of those anyway, and bows certainly aren't going to hurt a lot of them all that much.

Regards,

-- Imbroglio