PDA

View Full Version : A Use for Daemon Princes???

daa6
17-07-2009, 08:53
Hello, i have seen a similar post before: "but cant now"

So what can the Daemon Prince be used for?

And how do you get the best from It?

my problem is it cant take a flank/rear- NORE - kill fleeing troops, as it is not and can not be Unit strength 5......

So what else do you use it for? "the hammer / anvil"

Thankyou, and sorry for any repartition....

Mullitron
17-07-2009, 09:09
Popular use for him is as a caster, a common set up is mark of tzeentch (buffs ward save to 4+), fury of the blood god which again is buffed by the mark and tendrils of tzeentch to improve its casting and magic defense. Because its quite hard to kill can also be quite a good points denial.

isidril93
17-07-2009, 09:19
DOC or WOC?

Mullitron
17-07-2009, 09:23
DOC or WOC?

Lol yeah forgot to ask that question, my advice was for woc if you hadnt gathered.

daa6
17-07-2009, 09:25
Sorry Good point: DoC

daa6
17-07-2009, 09:26
It just seems that a Greater Daemon does it all so much better, only at a higher cost... :(

daa6
17-07-2009, 09:27
Khorne is what i was looking at and at first thought that he could go in the unit to give it the punch, but alass NO.

daa6
17-07-2009, 09:27
Thanks for the quick replies though

isidril93
17-07-2009, 09:35
you could give him MR 3 and fly and make him into a wizzie hunter

Unuhexium
17-07-2009, 09:39
edit, sorry thought it was about WoC

daa6
17-07-2009, 09:43
thats fine any ideas about DoC? Wizzi hunter could work. coz could do war machines 2.

DP's just seem to be in limbo tho...

Drachen_Jager
17-07-2009, 19:25
It's even worse for WOC, same price, same stat-line but a terrible selection of demonic powers and no access to magic weapons. A demon army Demonic Prince will kick a WOC DP's ass any day of the week.

Ravik
17-07-2009, 20:13
This is a pretty meh setup, but you can make him Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery, Many Armed Monstrosity and go for lore of fire.

Use Sword of Rhuin and have 8 strength 8 attacks hitting on 2's. Movement 8(?) I think, so quite likely to get the charge.

daa6
18-07-2009, 09:59
Like the Tzeentch idea Ravik...

Any for Khorne "like the FW model" but cant think of a set up...... "could even magnitize wings 2 use then not if needed" but if i cant figure a set up not much point.... :(

daa6
18-07-2009, 10:00
Isidril93, still like that idea, but pricy, for a hunter.... BUT Defo do the job !! :D

Briohmar
18-07-2009, 11:31
I kit mine as a Level 2 Mark of Tzeentch with wings and many arms. This gives me a multi-purpose spellcaster with move 20, cause Terror, Fly, 7 S5 attacks. (S)he does great in 3000 point plus gameshunting small units, fast cav, skirmishers and mages. She'll never get her points back, but prvoides a lot of distraction, and draws fire away from my Keeper of Secrets (Who has Alure, Siren, and Etherblade.)

sulla
18-07-2009, 23:07
This is a pretty meh setup, but you can make him Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery, Many Armed Monstrosity and go for lore of fire.

Use Sword of Rhuin and have 8 strength 8 attacks hitting on 2's. Movement 8(?) I think, so quite likely to get the charge.
Charge, cast, dispel scroll, pop! Call me a cynic.

Ravik
19-07-2009, 02:03
Charge, cast, dispel scroll, pop! Call me a cynic.

Yeh, it's not something I'd advise using. It's something that might work once, but your opponent would never let it happen again. Or you're against elves...or dwarfs...or..well yeh, you get the idea. :p

daa6
19-07-2009, 04:14
Briohmar
kit mine as a Level 2 Mark of Tzeentch with wings and many arms. This gives me a multi-purpose spellcaster with move 20, cause Terror, Fly, 7 S5 attacks. (S)he does great in 3000 point plus gameshunting small units, fast cav, skirmishers and mages.

Not sure that the DP causes Terror....? "but dont have book"

Also why have Mark of Tzeentch as your not using any of Tzeentch's gifts? or is this not DoC?

Briohmar
19-07-2009, 05:13
Briohmar

Not sure that the DP causes Terror....? "but dont have book"

Also why have Mark of Tzeentch as your not using any of Tzeentch's gifts? or is this not DoC?

The Tzeentch bit is just for the spell selection when I have the extra points. I'm actually more of a Slaanesh player, obviously, but the Tzeentch lore is so much more powerful and destructive. A level 2 caster is guaranteed to have one good magic missile, and the potential for another really good spell (Glean magic and gift of Chaos leap to mind.) Gift of chaos is really great on a single flyer, as it can get into the battle line safely and hit a multitude of targets.

And, you're right, she doesn't cause terror any more. I was thinking of last edition.

daa6
19-07-2009, 05:29
Fair, though the Gift with wings is pritty good..... didnt think bout that though you thought of master and "re-roll hit" instead of Many Arms?

daa6
19-07-2009, 05:30
and on that point "dont have book" but does Master give you all of 1 lore and a roll in Tzeentch spells? "cheeky but true?"

PeG
19-07-2009, 09:34
Actually the DoC daemon prince is quite good if you compare him and his cost with things in other books. He is a good caster that is also good in combat and that is hard to kill. His main problem is that several of the greater daemons gives better value for your points but taking a prince should help you on the comp scale.

Briohmar
19-07-2009, 13:02
The problem with the Prince is that the marks give nothing. If the Mark of Tzeentch gave the extra ward, If Slaanesh gave the ASF, etc, the Prince would be worth taking. As it is you have to pay to be a spell caster, then you have to pay on top of that for your spells. Even the Warrior Prince gets more from the marks.

Gaargod
20-07-2009, 23:29
The DoC prince is completely outshined in the book. He's actually not only a bad choice in daemons (not exactly hard...) but a bad choice anywhere really.

GW deliberately handicapped them horribly. No terror (why? Its a fricking great daemon), marks which do nothing except raise price ad allow access to other gifts, expensive gifts which are necessary to make him useful at all, no flight without paying for it and, most of all, the low daemonic gifts total of 75? By the time you've upgraded them, a bloodthirster with minimalist gear (armour of khorne, immortal fury for example) is only about a 100pts or so more, hits way harder with much better stats and, of course, has the all important US5.

They can be used, if you really want to. But they're overpriced and under effective.

WoC princes on the other hand, are a far more possible choice. Ok, they're not gonna outshine sorc lords any time soon (higher cost, lower survability) but they're great for support roles + caster lord (great build being tzeentch, tendrils, lv4 wizard with diabolic splendour/fury of blood god+roar). Terror bomb stuff, cast silly good spells, wipe out other support units.

kardar233
21-07-2009, 07:56
I'd say, on the whole, I'd rather have a DoC Daemon Prince than a WoC. The Gift list is substantially better, as is the Tzeentch lore.

In my opinion, the problem with DoC Daemon Princes is not that they are inherently bad. In any other army, the Tzeentchian Immortal Fury/Soul Hunger/Power Vortex Lv2 would be a high-level choice. However, this is Daemons. It's simply outshined by the Greater Daemons, and the Heralds (especially the Special Characters) are considerably better for the cost.

daa6
25-07-2009, 05:08
Dont like the last spell in Tzeentch for Daemons! 3 wounds before 1 horror, then its worth 50 VP's..... ?

To an expent i can see the point in not giving the DP Terror, as its surrounded by other Fear causing Daemons, and the Greater Daemon would make you crap yourself a little more me thinks. Were as the WoC DP, would stand out more a there are only "large Mortals" to compare it to. (though the option to make him have Terror wouldn't have been a bad thing)

Though it should have given the DoC DP, 100 points of gifts, and no limit to the amount given to God specific.. after you buy the Mark. And again up to Lvl 4 Mage...