PDA

View Full Version : Hellhound/Banewolf/Devil Dog Configuration - which is your choice?

boogle
17-07-2009, 13:45
Final one, which of the ones listed is your preferred choice of config when choosing your Fast Attack Tanks.

Also feel free to comment on whether you add extras like Heavy Stubbers or HK Missiles to your tank.

For me the Banewolf with Heavy Bolter and Heavy Stubber is my standard, but I'm looking at a Twin Melta Devil Dog with HK as an AT Fast Tank

Captain Micha
17-07-2009, 13:51
Banewolf/Heavy Flamer

Hellhound Heavy Bolter

Devil Dog Multi melta.

Havock
17-07-2009, 15:00
Devil Dog/Heavy flamer.

I treat it more like a glorified plasma cannon, works fine in that role. Of course, if I can get within 12" of a land raider...

Legionary
17-07-2009, 15:10
HH w/ HB
BW w/ HF
DD w/ HB

Re the Devil Dog, it's going to be a really high priority target for your enemy even with nothing on, so you ought to expect limited longevity from it and it's therefore not a fantastic idea to start putting expensive weapons options on something that might last just one or two turns.

Cry of the Wind
17-07-2009, 16:08
Hellhound with Heavy Bolter. If I am close enough to use the hull heavy flamer my tank is already dead. This arrangement gives me the longest range which might give me one extra shot before it dies. It also allows me to hang back and still do something if the right target isn't ready to be burned yet.

FunkyRatDemon
17-07-2009, 18:02
HH w/ HB
Lots of long range shots = perfect for its pts cost

Oberon
17-07-2009, 19:16
Banewolf with hflamer (ok I modelled my own with hbolter, but hey). With that speed it usually can risk closing the distance and apply the flames, the ap3 2+ wounds are well worth the small risk anyway. Secondary weapon is just that, secondary. There has not been a situation where firing the heavy bolter would have helped, but then I haven't yet played against say, gaunts...

I refuse to even consider devildog because of the template, it causes too much waving about even with battle cannons and other large templates, if no hit is rolled. DD or hellhounds in general cannot risk a turn not spent destroying something or not hiding, but demonstrating their power with no reward. Firing a meltacannon blast at your opponents shiny new vehicle, only to scatter 3" and not hit, then saying "imagine if I hit that dreadnought", is just that.

Basic hellhound is yet to enter field testing for me, I just grabbed the ap3-thingy the instant I saw it in the army list, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. HH would be the second choice though.

hippodude21
17-07-2009, 19:59
banewolf with a heavy flamer for that close range two template madness,
whats that you want a cover save DENIED!! *chuckles madly to himself*

the1stpip
17-07-2009, 20:14
Hellhound with multimelta.

Damned fine against troops, but where there are no viable choices, can also do well against tanks.