PDA

View Full Version : A gift to 40k players everywhere

big squig
05-01-2006, 09:28
For about a year and a half now I have played almost every game of 40K using a deck of cards I created that generate random missions. The idea first started near the end of 3rd ed’s life. It proved to be a great idea and the local gaming community was quickly turned on to it. Since 4th ed came out, I have updated these cards to fit with the new way missions are played. Over time the cards have gone through numerous revisions and updates. This little deck has added so much variety to my games that I feel obligated to share them with the rest of the ‘Warhammer 40,000’ community. So please, feel free to download these and print them out for yourselves. The file is attached to this post.

How they work: The deck is small and players are usually not sure how to generate a mission with them at first without instruction, so I’ll explain.

There are three types of cards; objective (blue), deployment (green), and special rule (red). To generate a random mission, shuffle all the cards together and start dealing them out face down into three piles. Deal one pile for blue, one for green, and one for red. Once each pile has at least one card in it, stop dealing cards. Reveal the TOP card of the blue objective pile, the TOP card of the green deployment pile, and ALL cards in the red special rule pile. These revealed cards will instruct both players how to deploy, what their objective is, and what special rules are being used in the game. The remaining cards in the deck and the remaining un-revealed cards in each pile are not used.

(Another, simpler, way is to randomly pick one deployment card, one objective card, and d6 special rule cards.)

All the deployment methods, objectives, and special rules are from the five standard missions in the rule book. The only added card is the angle deployment card. Because of this, the deck is only 16 cards.

I’m working on an advanced mission deck that uses elements from almost every mission in the rule book (standard, raid, battle, special…). The advanced deck is nearly completed, but not quite ready to be posted online. I still have a small bit of play testing to do, but I will try to have it up ASAP. I’m also thinking of making a program that generates missions in the same manner and lays out the text on a page the same way the missions are laid out in the rule book, but I would need someone who could help me with that since I have no idea how to do it.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text there, I hope you enjoy these; you’ll rarely play the same mission twice with them. If you have any questions, just post in this thread and I’ll try my best to answer.

EDIT: Cruise has been nice enough to get the generator online. While there's still little details to do, it is up and running.

Online Mission Generator. (http://casual-tempest.net/projects/40k/mission.php)

Tyra_Nid
05-01-2006, 09:38
Wow, this looks like a very interesting idea!

I'll have to try it out.

Jamz
05-01-2006, 10:15
These seem a great way to select missions, i think my gaming group will be using these from now on.

Thanks

sigur
05-01-2006, 10:19
Nice work, big squig. As we can see, Warhammer can't work properly without cards.;)

TheSaint
05-01-2006, 10:22
I'll be using these! Thanks BS!

hairyman
05-01-2006, 10:27
That looks like a great idea.:cool: :)

How does the advanced deck work, then? I'm wondering especially about the special rules, and whether they'd be divided into common ones (eg: infiltrate, deep strike) or rare ones (eg: dusk and dawn) to reflect the amount they appear in the set missions in the BGB?

Will certainly be trying that out, though.

xerxeshavelock
05-01-2006, 11:10
How would it work if you included more than one of some of the cards, such as Infiltrate for example.

I don’t know if the advanced card system will be used for scenery, but multiple cards might be a good mechanism for tailoring to a players scenery collection?

neko
05-01-2006, 11:15
Also, despite my best editing efforts, I have already noticed a mis-print. Field of battle is supposed to be 12"..not 6". Just like GW, I can't release something without messing it up.:rolleyes:
You should leave it a bit longer before releasing the errata, like half a year or so maybe. You fail at being GW (thankfully) ;)

marv335
05-01-2006, 11:30
i always liked the 2nd ed mission cards. each player has a primary and secondary objective and mission. (and as we played it, neither knows what the opponents mission is). it makes for an interesting game.

Exterminatus
05-01-2006, 11:33
THanks! these will come in handy, I really like the cards!
Keep up the good work mate!

Hercco
05-01-2006, 14:09
Yeah, we need cards for Warhammer. :p No seriously these are great. Now I just got to find someone with a colour printer...

bryankia
05-01-2006, 14:54
Great idea!

Thanks,
Bryan

mattjgilbert
05-01-2006, 15:13
We have used something similar for our 40K tournaments in the past. I'll take a look through these with interest. Good work (commenting in advance...)

Balragore
05-01-2006, 15:25
Good idea man :)

The friends I play with around here, well, we just use dice to decide everything, starting with rolling for type of mission, then what specific scenario, and so forth.

But a good idea nonetheless.

Venomizer
05-01-2006, 15:43
Very Interesting

I'll have to get some colour ink and try them out

Storm Hunters
05-01-2006, 15:45
i think you could have made some more intresting things up, almost all of thouse things are in the rule book already. I was thinking for special rules you could include things like night figet (not just dusk and dawn) you could also have included things like prelimary bombardments and dainger counters, but hay i sompose its not to bad.

i do like the idea of a diaganal deployment zone though and migh use that in my next game.

bugbait_nz
05-01-2006, 20:22
Thanks and keep up the good work, eagerly awaiting next release . . . . .

Bugbait out.

big squig
05-01-2006, 20:26
i think you could have made some more intresting things up, almost all of thouse things are in the rule book already. I was thinking for special rules you could include things like night figet (not just dusk and dawn) you could also have included things like prelimary bombardments and dainger counters, but hay i sompose its not to bad.

i do like the idea of a diaganal deployment zone though and migh use that in my next game.

That's what the advanced deck is going to have. It will be almost 40 cards. This deck is just for playing with the elements from the standard missions. It's designed with more competitive play in mind, while the advanced deck is designed with more attacker/defender play in mind.

big squig
05-01-2006, 20:30
How would it work if you included more than one of some of the cards, such as Infiltrate for example.

I don’t know if the advanced card system will be used for scenery, but multiple cards might be a good mechanism for tailoring to a players scenery collection?

It should work fine. Feel free to print multiple copies for what ever your need. No one is forcing you to use the pile system for generating missions. To be honest, just picking a random objective, deployment, and d6 special rules works better for the standard deck...but the advanced deck is kinda big for that process.

ATM, victory points is the only card in the advanced deck with multiple copies, but there may be more by the time I'm done play-testing it.

KingNic
05-01-2006, 20:31
This is brilliant!

The idea is completely expandable as well, players can add cards, add special missions and add their own special rules. Brilliant!

Lardidar
05-01-2006, 20:36
Very cool.

I will be using these to spice up games night.

Thanks loads,

bugbait_nz
05-01-2006, 20:50
You could also add these hazardous environments maybe. . . .

Linky to hazards (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/hazards/default.htm)

Bugbait out.

FieronThor
05-01-2006, 21:05
Very impressive. That's mighty handy! Thanks

IncubiLord
05-01-2006, 21:54
i always liked the 2nd ed mission cards. each player has a primary and secondary objective and mission. (and as we played it, neither knows what the opponents mission is). it makes for an interesting game.This is how we played it too. I miss the idea that my army isn't always trying to do the same thing as my opponents, but my attempt at recreating Mission Cards based off 3ed rules was took too much pre-game effort. Not knowing what your opponent is up to is also a really nice aspect of the game that has been lost.

I'm curious why you didn't just make Alpha, Gamma, and Omega cards for Scenario Special rules. They're the same entry in every normal mission. (Though most of my armies are lightly armored and I hate the unbalancing effect of Random Game Length.)

I'm not so sure on the diagonal deployment zones when combined with Recon or Table Quarters as the objective. It starts both players in all but their opponent's quarter, and I think it creates an even longer line to hold in Recon (haven't done the actual math yet, but it seems significantly larger just from the visual).

Please don't send an assassin after me over this post. I really miss the mission cards and think you have a good iidea. I just want to see the idea grow.

EDIT: did the math, it's an optical illusion. the line is only slightly more than 6" - oops. I only dislike it when combined with Table Quarters then.

KingNic
05-01-2006, 22:33
Race-specific special rule card example:
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/9030/orkspecialrulecard0at.gif (http://imageshack.us)

If one player was using Orks, a selection of Ork special rule cards could be added to the deck.

big squig
06-01-2006, 01:31
Please don't send an assassin after me over this post. I really miss the mission cards and think you have a good iidea. I just want to see the idea grow.

Oh no, I don't take offense. I WANT to hear people's ideas. I WANT people to add and change what they want. Stuff like the ork squig card above is great. But I wont be adding stuff like that any time soon. You will have to add your own cards/rules. And when you do, please post it so I can see them. I'm really curious about where others will take this idea!

bugbait_nz
06-01-2006, 02:14
GO KINGNIC, like that idea, a bit like the Lesser Barking Toad found here,

Chapter Approved creature-feature (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/creature-feature/1/)

Bugbait out.

big squig
06-01-2006, 05:21
Just a little note. The advanced deck is just about ready to go. Everything is play tested at this point except two new cards. The deck totals 38 cards and uses nearly every element from every mission in the rule book. Expect to see it posted some time next week.

lord_blackfang
06-01-2006, 11:32
I must say this looks very interesting, perhaps more than my own random mission generator, which is dice & table based: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13783
[/shameless plug]

Can't wait for the advanced version.

big squig
06-01-2006, 20:13
Hey lord_blackfang, thats a really neat mission generator ya got there. It's kinda like a quicky rules of engagment. Hope ya don't mind me using it in some of my games of 40k? Good stuff.

Mojaco
07-01-2006, 16:59
Awesome cards. Printed and laminated (sp?):)

big squig
07-01-2006, 20:06
Well, I’m happy to inform you that the advanced deck is done enough to post online. There may be a few unforeseen kinks left, but they shouldn’t be a big problem if the pop up. If you find a problem, be sure to let me know.

DISCLAIMER: Games using the advanced mission deck will not be balanced. They will commonly give advantages to one side over the other. They should not be used for competitive play. They are for scenario based play, and like real combat, one side is usually at a disadvantage. Look at it this way, if you lost the Alamo, so what? You were supposed to lose. But if you won! Now you have something to be proud of!

Just as a recap, this is how the deck works again:
There are three types of cards; objective (blue), deployment (green), and special rule (red). To generate a random mission, shuffle all the cards together and start dealing them out face down into three piles. Deal one pile for blue, one for green, and one for red. Once each pile has at least one card in it, stop dealing cards. Reveal the TOP card of the blue objective pile, the TOP card of the green deployment pile, and ALL cards in the red special rule pile. These revealed cards will instruct both players how to deploy, what their objective is, and what special rules are being used in the game. The remaining cards in the deck and the remaining un-revealed cards in each pile are not used.

Things to keep in mind when playing an advanced game:

-Players need to decide who will be attacker, and who is defender…even if the objective is not att/def based.

-Do NOT shuffle the standard and advanced deck together. The standard deck is already included in the advanced deck minus escalation.

-Use at least a 6’x4’ table…4’x4’ is too small.

-Have models and terrain to represent things like bunkers, razor wire, sentries, and so on

-Have the large hardback rulebook handy, you will need to reference it often.

-Next to the name on each objective card is the game’s type. Different types can have different force organization charts. If you wish to use these different force charts, you can find them on page 192 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. Players may find it useful to pick the objective before making army lists. Alternatively, players could make an army using the standard force chart, and any unit not allowed by the alternative force chart starts in reserve.

With the standard mission deck, you got a bit more variety than the alpha/gamma/omega system, but with the advanced deck, you will NEVER play the same mission twice.

You can download the advanced deck on the first page.

lord_blackfang
07-01-2006, 20:20
Hey lord_blackfang, thats a really neat mission generator ya got there. It's kinda like a quicky rules of engagment. Hope ya don't mind me using it in some of my games of 40k? Good stuff.

Go right ahead, that's why it's there ;)

I'll be nicking some of your advanced cards for my own advanced generator :p

cerealkiller195
07-01-2006, 22:38
here i was thinking it was a bangbros subscription... pretty good idea though..

big squig
08-01-2006, 09:57
here i was thinking it was a bangbros subscription... pretty good idea though..

umm...eek?

Str10_hurts
08-01-2006, 16:20
Printed and laminated.

THANK YOU! :)

(note: yes a bangbros subscription would be nice.)

Scythe
08-01-2006, 18:43
Sweet. Very nice cards. I'll definitely try those some time. Thanks a lot.

MaraudingMercenary
09-01-2006, 15:18
Nice work!

I restarted playing after almost 10 years and was missing mission cards, vehicle datafax and hundreds of counters for ready fire and hiding. Parts of that return now!

Sinedia
11-01-2006, 11:31
A very cool idea, I am going to give this a try!!!

langolas
11-01-2006, 13:50
I'd love to see a card with the "L" deployment zones. I love those. great idea. MIght have to try it if my schedule ever changes and I might even be able to play again!

Major Thom
11-01-2006, 19:02
We played a game last Saturday using your cards, it worked really well.

Thank you.

big squig
11-01-2006, 19:43
I'd love to see a card with the "L" deployment zones. I love those. great idea. MIght have to try it if my schedule ever changes and I might even be able to play again!

There is one in the advanced deck, I guess you mised it;) It's called patrol.

langolas
11-01-2006, 20:11
There is one in the advanced deck, I guess you mised it;) It's called patrol.

Probably skimmed right over it, or didn't look at the revised card ;) I'm lazy hehe

big squig
12-01-2006, 08:28
We played a game last Saturday using your cards, it worked really well.

Thank you.

Your welcome. How did your game turn out? Who won and what cards did you draw up?

shabbadoo
12-01-2006, 09:28
I am of the 40K Old Guard(circa 1987) and I must say that with the exception of a few very good 40K campaigns and web sites, these mission cards are probably the most useful fan-made offering that I have ever seen.

Excellent work Big Squig! :cool:

Could you post pics of just the blank cards themselves, so that others can make their own cards and post them here too? I would be happy to contribute.

Edit: I would suggest making race-specific special events at some point. For example, Orks might have special "Telyportas Iz Activ!" or "Mad Boy Rampage" events, while Chaos might have "Warp Storm" or "Spontanoeus Mutation" events.

big squig
12-01-2006, 20:58
No problem, good idea. Here ya go...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/bigsquig/blank-card.jpg

Major Thom
13-01-2006, 13:17
Your welcome. How did your game turn out? Who won and what cards did you draw up?

Drew;
12" Basic Deployment
Field of Battle
Concealment
Dusk to Dawn
Infiltrate

It was my 1500 point Eldar Strike Force against a Necron force with a Monolith (popped that bad boy in the second turn:evilgrin: )

It was a good fight and I managed to have the most scoring units in the end.

methoderik
13-01-2006, 19:35
How is every one putting these together? I mean besides the obvious! Any Ideas on how to give them a nice clean, straight, professional look?

big squig
13-01-2006, 21:39
How is every one putting these together? I mean besides the obvious! Any Ideas on how to give them a nice clean, straight, professional look?

Some people seem to laminate them...I printed them, cut them out, and stuck them in clear cards sleeves with a magic card between the front and back for support. I guess you could also pick up some card-stock at a stationary store and do a duplex (double sided) print. Then just cut them out...though card stock is usually just business card thickness.

Cadian 21st
14-01-2006, 07:06
These are awesome man!

Knighty
15-01-2006, 10:54
Very nice, I haven't tried these yet but when I do I'll let you know how it goes.

My only minor gripe is that you could do with adding a line or small gap between the cars on the page, so we've got something to cut along ;)

Nkari
16-01-2006, 01:31
So, the standard version uses 1 card from each of the coloured pile correct ?

If so, why not just say that you shuffle the 3 piles and draw 1 card of each colour.. a much easier way of explaining how it is done..

However, if all piles cept the red one will only use 1 card and the red one will use all cards but 1 I understand your explenation alot more. but it could be simplified to what I just wrote.. ;)

But I like the cards alot.. tho Im thinking of using several of the red cards as many special rules are fun, but the point to the cards is to not know 100% that all your special rules will be used.. =)

Cheatah
16-01-2006, 14:10
I think the intention is:

1) shuffle ALL cards together in one pile
2) start drawing from the top
3) every card is placed (face down) in a separate pile according to color (one blue pile, one red pile and one green pile)
4) as soon as there is at least one card in every pile, you take the topmost blue and green card and ALL red cards thus making it possible of having more special rules in use :)

I hope i understand this correctly. I needed to read those instruction a couple of times before i got them right tho' ;)

Cheatah
16-01-2006, 14:15
Hmm, as for that computerized version, I study Information Technology, and it doesn't seem that much work to make a small program that creates these random scenarios.

I'm not much of a "visuals" man, but i thought of making these pages into html format, so that it's easily adaptable with images and stuff...

Anyways, that's a project for after my exams...

Unless anyone is going to beat me to it :p

Nkari
16-01-2006, 15:07
I think the intention is:

1) shuffle ALL cards together in one pile
2) start drawing from the top
3) every card is placed (face down) in a separate pile according to color (one blue pile, one red pile and one green pile)
4) as soon as there is at least one card in every pile, you take the topmost blue and green card and ALL red cards thus making it possible of having more special rules in use :)

I hope i understand this correctly. I needed to read those instruction a couple of times before i got them right tho' ;)

yeah buts its described in a overlty complicated way imho, if thats the case, why not just do.

"All piles except the red one will only use one card(Deployment and Mission), wich is drawn at random from each pile of the two non red piles. Then one red card will be removed from the red pile at random and the cards that are left in the red pile are the special rules that are used in the game."

It is just a minor thing but to people not having english as their first language it can be complicated since he does not specify exactly wich of the piles you will use, and since I do not consider one card a pile for example it confuzes the hell out of me, but after some thinking I think I got what he meant, wich is basicly what you said.. and I said before.. =)

EDIT: and after re reading your explenation I come to understand the genious of Mixing _all_ the piles and then draw at random.. =)

That is you will vary the number of special rules, from 1 to all special rules depending on how things where mixed togeather.. love it.. =)

Cheatah
16-01-2006, 15:31
As I said before, it took me a while to understand it all as well ;)

PS: my native language is Dutch (Flemish to be exact)

big squig
16-01-2006, 20:44
Hmm, as for that computerized version, I study Information Technology, and it doesn't seem that much work to make a small program that creates these random scenarios.

I'm not much of a "visuals" man, but i thought of making these pages into html format, so that it's easily adaptable with images and stuff...

Anyways, that's a project for after my exams...

Unless anyone is going to beat me to it :p

He he, well the project has already started, but I had to leave it to my brother since he knows how to do these kind of things. Problem is, he's kind of a slacker. So you may get it finished before him. :p

Anarchyman99
16-01-2006, 23:19
Wow thats Great thanks!

roon
17-01-2006, 08:12
Thanks for sharing! Will try it out as soon as possible :)

big squig
21-01-2006, 01:31
Woo, alright, well thanks gus for all the positive responses. I've got some news for you all. The online mission generator program is comming along nicley. My brother is working on it as we speak, but he hasn't had it very long. He's got a simple test run working that you guys can check out here.

http://www.jive-turkey.net/cgi-bin/basic.py

At the moment it only generates a standard mission. Everytime you click on the link it will bring up a random mission. It's not that flashy right now, but the final version will look clean and professional, along with being able to do advanced missions.

Please give me any feed back you have on this thread as I rarly check my PM box.

Cheeta: I'll try to get you the stuff you need, but let me know first if what your trying to do is what my brother is already doing...if that made any sense...

IncubiLord
21-01-2006, 02:28
Just clicking that link several times, I got several 1-special-rule missions and none with more than 5 (all he's got in?).

I imagine your brother is random-generating one of each the other cards and then doing a 0-max random # of special rules.

I'd advise him to set it to 3-minimum for a simple version. Players may always agree not to use special rules, but using just 1 is a little weak.

For something more spiffy, I'd say have it generate 3-5 for a Gamma level mission and another 3-max(- # already generated) for the Omega level mission.

Also, if your brother has a lot of time on his hands (or really knows his stuff), have him make rules like random game length, concealment, and escalation appear less frequently (or limit them to Omega level).

calebh124
21-01-2006, 07:26
dude thats sweet and useful. It's swoosful :D

Cheatah
21-01-2006, 10:10
Cheeta: I'll try to get you the stuff you need, but let me know first if what your trying to do is what my brother is already doing...if that made any sense...

I'm making this a stand-alone version so you don't need to be able to access the internet. My program is also completely customizable, you can change the look of the generated page, change/add/delete cards, etc.

Right now I'm at the point where you can change the look of the output page. The tool has a built in preview of the page and you can save the page anywhere you like.

As I don't have the time to type in all the cards at the moment, I'm just brainstorming on the format of the card-files. (will probably be XML)
As an extension, I might add the (dynamic) choice of card-files that are in a given directory.

I think it's different enough from your brother's online version to keep working on it separately.

Gaebriel
14-04-2006, 02:04
A little threadomancy, but we played with the standard cards a first time today and it was brilliant. We used big squigs draw method, with a variant that when at least two objectives would be drawn players would have different and hidden objectives.

So we drew Angles - Field of Battle/Table Quarters - Escalation, Deep Strike, Random Game Length. Game was a draw.

This method rocks, especially because it's quick and easy, and we like having Alpha level victory conditions with a chance of having every fancy Special rule. One thing though, to balance it out a bit we added a second Victory points card.

Thanks for the idea and the work, big squig, we'll test the advanced deck as soon as possible.

intellectawe
14-04-2006, 02:39
OMG and you left the security off!!! I love you!! I can create my own cards for my hobby store campaign now!!! You are my new baby daddy!!!!!

Col. Dash
14-04-2006, 03:52
I think it would work better if each play drew there own cards and kept them hidden. Its unrealistic for 2 enemy armies to have the same mission. One might be doing a recon and the other has the mission of taking an objective. Plus not both sides are going to have equal abilities thus different special rules cards. All of which remain secret until the end of game(missions) or when used (special rules). Adds a little more unpredictability to the game and keeps the other guessing as to what they are trying to accomplish. "Uh oh, he is trying to take that building, send out the FRAGO, 1st and 2nd platoons keep the enemy away from this building, 3rd, continue mission." Very close to 2nd with the addition of special rules.

Scythe
14-04-2006, 09:32
That's not a bad idea acctually. Would certainly keep you guessing about your opponents real objective, while still having to focus on your own.

ice
14-04-2006, 10:15
i'll show them to my gaming group on tuesday!

Knighty
11-02-2007, 10:55
Thanks again for these Big Squig, they've been really helpful :)

I don't uppose you feel like making a set for Fantasy too? :P

big squig
03-08-2007, 05:02
I'm sure I'll get suspended for raising this thread form the grave, but...

I was wondering if anyone who downloaded these cards was still using them. It's been like a year now and I was wondering if they are still in use. I got a lot of great complements and my local store still uses them for every game...even tournys.

My local GW just asked for a copy and they're using them too.

Has anyone had problems? Any ideas for improvements? Any comments?

once again mods...sorry...

cthorpe
03-08-2007, 09:47
Hi Big Squig..

As this is YOUR thread I dont think anyone will complain about you bringing it back to life.. a good idea infact as this will bring these cards to the attention of the many new members of 'Warseer' who may not have been aware of their existence..

I'm finding them very useful in my gaming group.. so feel free to promote them further..

Best wishes,

Carl

Isambard
03-08-2007, 09:58
A GREAT idea :D

I really liked 2nd ed where players had different missions to each other, we also played with secondary missions - your main mission may be to get into the opponents deployment zone but you get a bonus for killing your opponents general.

I really see these cards working like stratagems/random event cards - you have access to a certain number of cards that give you advantages (ie the ability to infiltrate, fortify a building etc) or other affects (letting your army use escalation, putting an enemy unit in reserve etc).

A great idea, one that I may 'borrow' if it is cool with you!

LordJose
03-08-2007, 13:03
I have been talking with my friends and we want to translate your cards to spanish, maybe sending you the translation and you puting the spanish text in a spanish version of the cards, or we learning a little about how to extract the pdf into another format then replacing the texts and after that making again the pdf. But we dont want to without your permision.

Angelwing
03-08-2007, 13:14
Cant belive I havn't seen this before. Great stuff. will hopefully try them out this weekend.
Cheers!

Major Thom
03-08-2007, 13:50
The cards work wonderfully. We have a group that uses them on a daily bases, they are now the norm amoungst us.

Deodand
03-08-2007, 15:26
As this is YOUR thread I dont think anyone will complain about you bringing it back to life.. a good idea infact as this will bring these cards to the attention of the many new members of 'Warseer' who may not have been aware of their existence..

As a new Warseer member, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for "resurrecting" the thread Big Squig - and for your great work on the cards. I'd never have found this if the thread hadn't become active again.

Spacker
03-08-2007, 16:40
As a new Warseer member, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for "resurrecting" the thread Big Squig - and for your great work on the cards. I'd never have found this if the thread hadn't become active again.

I'm not even new, and I never spotted this when it was "live". Cracking idea, excellently executed. I too am glad this thread was "resurrected".

glowing in the dark
03-08-2007, 17:43
Wooohooo.
Also glad to see this thread.
Nice job all the way. You've just made my group a lot happier.
Thanks.

Travman
03-08-2007, 17:49
Outstanding!

big squig
03-08-2007, 18:21
Oh guys, it's been such a long time and I forgot that I had completely re-done the advanced deck between then and now. So here's version 2. Enjoy.
It's a much smaller deck and runs much more efficiently.

Spacker
03-08-2007, 18:34
Phew, good job I hadn't gotten around to using the graphic design departments colour laser printer yet then ;)

cthorpe
03-08-2007, 20:23
Big Squig..

Those new cards look really great..

Thanks again,

Carl

miridigi
03-08-2007, 20:47
I vote to make this a sticky in the rules development thread. Very useful tool, would be a shame to see it burried under other posts again.

Modhail
03-08-2007, 20:57
Big Squig: Thank you for making these cards!
And thank you again for making this thread resurface. (I had forgotten where I found them, and friends wanted them too...)
I've used these cards for every game of 40 the last half year now. They're just great, a unique mission every time you play...

Bye, Erik

big squig
03-08-2007, 21:04
Big Squig: Thank you for making these cards!
And thank you again for making this thread resurface. (I had forgotten where I found them, and friends wanted them too...)
I've used these cards for every game of 40 the last half year now. They're just great, a unique mission every time you play...

Bye, Erik
Awesome. This is the stuff I was curious about. Because my local game group uses these every time we play and I was wondering if we were the only ones or if others had started too. I'm glad you like them, that's the kinda stuff I like to hear. It makes me want to do more supplements. :D

=Angel=
03-08-2007, 21:21
I realy like the look of the cards...

Sadly, the advanced set is really flawed.

Its possible to get 'rearguard' for deployment, where the defender forms a column, while drawing 'rescue' for objectives, and the efender can also get fortifications to place in his 6" wide deployment zone.

Which would be a VERY unique mission indeed! but probably horrible.

The original set is great though. Its harder to do with advanced missions becaause they're less generic, set up and do stuff- they represent unique stiuations like getting surrounded etc.

Really nice cards .
Kudos.

big squig
04-08-2007, 00:05
Yeah, but I have simply come to terms with it. If you look back a few pages, there's a disclaimer saying that the advanced deck is pretty unbalanced. But it's supposed to be that way. They are not for competitive play, but for scenario play. Just like in real life, both sides aren't always on equal terms. And while some really weird situations can come up, if you think hard enough, you can usually think of some fluff reason to have things like rearguard and blitz together.

I would love to make a really balanced competitive advanced deck, but due to the nature of attacker/defender scenarios it's almost impossible. Also, all the special rules in the dark millennium section of the rule book anr't really balanced for every army either.

pkain762
04-08-2007, 01:16
these cards look awesome, i can't wait to get back from iraq and try them out.... i'm pretty excited to get back and play my BT army.... paint them up... right now i only have one hq and two troops so i can't wait to get back in the swing of things, and these cards are really going to make things interesting....

and being in iraq and fighting a real battle.... it is true that some scenerios you are just screwed..... so i don't mind some battles in 40k being lopsided ..... no matter how much you want to win, you can't win every battle. nice cards man

kain

Khorghan
04-08-2007, 01:27
Card idea sounds good

natedogg710
04-08-2007, 01:28
Great job on the cards, I can't wait to try these out.

Thirdeye
04-08-2007, 04:21
Just read the tread. Interesting stuff. My group has been doing something similar for years. Actually, GW’s Adeptus Titanicus, original game in the Epic series (1988 – boy, am I showing my age) had the first random mission generator system. It was the best. It formed the basis of our system. Adeptus Titanicus II also had a random mission generator system, similar to the original but with some additional (and IMO unnecessary) elements.

KaldCB
04-08-2007, 08:13
I really liked those cards, have printed them out and going to show them to my gaming group.

big squig
06-08-2007, 01:30
Just read the tread. Interesting stuff. My group has been doing something similar for years. Actually, GW’s Adeptus Titanicus, original game in the Epic series (1988 – boy, am I showing my age) had the first random mission generator system. It was the best. It formed the basis of our system. Adeptus Titanicus II also had a random mission generator system, similar to the original but with some additional (and IMO unnecessary) elements.
How did the Adeptus Titanicus work?

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 02:02
Brilliant, yet simple Idea....

Excellent work!!!!

Yet, the synical side of me shouts-
"Expect to see them in dice form once GW 'boffins :rolleyes:' see this!!"

Until then - well done on a fine job.

I'll be tryig to introduce them to my local GW store this week..

big squig
06-08-2007, 02:31
That reminds me, I do have a dice version for these as well. It's a bit more efficient but you need to print it on adhesive paper so you can cut out the side and stick them on dice.

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 02:34
Have you tried Chessex dice?
Don't know website address, sure someone else will.. (or do a search)
they can manufacture dice with any icon carved in.
Market them for 'any tabletop wargame' renaming cleasne etc..
And copyright them pronto!

You'll make a fortune on E-bay...

DAMN!!! - me and my big mouth!

Only Joking - wouldnt steal your well thought out idea.

Good luck

fwacho
06-08-2007, 08:42
Beautiful idea dude. I love it.

Dicey
06-08-2007, 08:55
Brill Idea, thanks. Major Karma boost for you! may your roll only 6s

Adra
06-08-2007, 09:03
oh...very very nice...gonna get me some of these. Ive been looking for a random way of having fun missions. this will do nicely.

with ur errata could u update the original full sheet as well as release updates. or...release the update with a front and back. acrobate gets on my nerves when i try and move stuff about :)

Panic
06-08-2007, 09:08
Interesting....
I showed it to a friend of mine and he says it's great.
Nice idea.

Rick_1138
06-08-2007, 09:50
hmmmmm, wery intewesting!

Gonna be printing myself of some of those for tuesday night.

Dicey
06-08-2007, 17:23
hmmmmm, wery intewesting!

Gonna be printing myself of some of those for tuesday night.

Does this mean you are going to turn up?

Colonel Raijan
06-08-2007, 17:29
Very interesting

Rick_1138
06-08-2007, 17:29
Hey dicey,

i might if you PM me who you are.....

specially as BA's are a go go again, ala new rules in shop.

big squig
07-08-2007, 02:56
Ok guys, Version 2 of each deck are attached to the first message. All the errata has been removed from the thread. This should consolidate everything now. Everything you need is attached to the first posts. Any future updates will be placed there.

Sore_loser
30-09-2007, 00:11
Would you mind if I made an online version of this (i.e. a webpage you could browse to that would generate a mission using your method)?

I think it might be quite handy if, like me, you have a mobile phone with a browser. You'd just go to the bookmarked page, generate a scenario and get playing. Would save having to carry round decks of cards.

big squig
03-10-2007, 02:39
Sure, go right ahead. I've been meaning to do one...but I don't know how, and my brother that does never seems to get to it.

Sore_loser
08-10-2007, 22:51
Right - here's a preliminary version. It's quite a WIP, so don't expect too much.

I haven't added many special rules yet. At the time of writing, just Deep Strike and Concealment. I've put in all the standard objectives and deployments. It's automatically generated as you load the page, and there's a page for every turn of the game - I put this in because I usually forget things like Dusk & Dawn by Turn 6, this way I'll get reminded.

Anyway, the URL is: here (http://www.robwilliamson.com/wargames/newGame/). Enjoy!

Nostro
08-10-2007, 23:10
I vote to make this a sticky in the rules development thread. Very useful tool, would be a shame to see it burried under other posts again.

I support that.

The thread doesn't get "constructive" posts as much as a discussion thread, well, because there's no big discussion to have, and hence is difficult to keep on page 1, yet it is far more useful than many threads in here.

Sore_loser
10-10-2007, 23:13
I've nearly finished writing the standard cards page. All that's needed is Random Game Length and Escalation to be added.

I've made the page auto-generate things like Dusk & Dawn; it'll tell you which turn to use night fighting rules. I'm going to make Random Game Length work the same way, with it telling you when the game is over.

I've also added other reminders that appear at appropriate times. Things like remember to move the scouts before determining who goes first etc.

Here's the URL:
http://www.robwilliamson.com/wargames/newGame/

Sore_loser
11-10-2007, 22:15
I've now implemented all the rules for the Standard mission set. I've tried to keep the pages as simple as possible so the greatest variety of devices can display them. I've also kept the average size of a page down to (in most cases) below 1k, so people using phones with ridiculous tariffs shouldn't get stung by nasty data charges.

Please PM me with any comments about extra stuff that would be useful, or accuracy of the rules as I've presented them, or anything else that occurs to you.

I'm thinking for the next stage either to go for an implementation of the advanced cards, or to make a version of the rules that implements the standard missions as described in the rulebook (i.e. a randomly chosen mission with either the alpha, gamma or omega set of special rules). Actually, I plan to do both, but the question is which to do first? I think I'll have a stab at the standard missions thing first, since all the code for that's already written.

Thanks again big squig for a really good idea that's turning into a nice little project for me :)

big squig
12-10-2007, 05:00
Hey Sore_loser, since you have decided to take on this project, do you want to work together on it? I have been wanting to get an online generator up and running forever, but I never knew where to begin. I have what I want all designed out, but I need someone to put it together for me. You interested? I can send you a PM with all the info you need.

big squig
12-10-2007, 06:21
By the way, does anyone know who I can contact about getting this thread stickied?

Sore_loser
12-10-2007, 17:38
Hey Sore_loser, since you have decided to take on this project, do you want to work together on it? I have been wanting to get an online generator up and running forever, but I never knew where to begin. I have what I want all designed out, but I need someone to put it together for me. You interested? I can send you a PM with all the info you need.

Sure. I'd definitely like to implement your ideas. PM away!

Raven1
12-10-2007, 18:15
Wow man that is really cool.

Sore_loser
13-10-2007, 00:28
Update: have now added rulebook standard scenario generator as well as big squigs original and excellent standard scenario generator. Will probably take a bit of a break this weekend to paint some more 'crons and do a bit of climbing.

To anyone who's looked at the generator pages so far: I haven't tested them very well, so if you see some weirdness, incorrect rules, or just stuff you plain don't like, please PM me the URL from your browser when you see the problem and describe what you think is wrong. That'll allow me to reproduce it for myself and fix the issue.

MuttMan
13-10-2007, 03:34
Sweet little idea. This way people wont be able to come to the table demanding certain game types, using the persuasive excuses to get the mission they geared their army for.

Sore_loser
23-10-2007, 22:30
Just updated a little after playtesting. Now lists all special rules on every turn page. Also tells you before rolling to see who goes first whether dusk or dawn night fighting is in play. Few other minor amendments.

ursidae
05-12-2007, 14:59
Downloaded. I would like to add my congratulations as well, not only on a great idea but also on a projest that seems to be getting many members interested and active. Kudos!

cruise
20-12-2007, 13:50
Heh. I also knocked up an online version of this last night:

http://casual-tempest.net/projects/40k/mission.php

I've tried to replicate the sort of look of the original 40k book, as you originally suggested - if you can send me the graphics you used for the deployment pictures on the cards (cruise --at-- casual-tempest.net) I can include them too, so it will look even more like the books :P

Only the basic objectives are included, currently.

And just to be cheeky, can I plug my objective generating system too?
http://casual-tempest.net/projects/40k/objectives.html

Different, varied and secret objectives for each player :P

MampiSwift
20-12-2007, 14:08
Outstanding!!! printing them out now

electricblooz
20-12-2007, 17:26
Sore Loser:

tried it on my LG with Sprint and it works like a charm. Good Job!

A.S.modai
20-12-2007, 19:20
Wow. These are great and look like something GW might sell for $99. Cool

Chaplain Araziel
20-12-2007, 19:25
Excellent idea and very well designed. Thanks and I will be using them from now on. AWESOME.

big squig
20-12-2007, 23:54
Heh. I also knocked up an online version of this last night:

http://casual-tempest.net/projects/40k/mission.php

I've tried to replicate the sort of look of the original 40k book, as you originally suggested - if you can send me the graphics you used for the deployment pictures on the cards (cruise --at-- casual-tempest.net) I can include them too, so it will look even more like the books :P

Only the basic objectives are included, currently.

And just to be cheeky, can I plug my objective generating system too?
http://casual-tempest.net/projects/40k/objectives.html

Different, varied and secret objectives for each player :P

Ha, awesome. That's pretty much what I wanted. Thanks. I'll see about getting some you some images.

By the way though, could I ask you to put some credits on there? Just so people know it's my system. Name's Whitman Bottiger.

Starchild
21-12-2007, 03:18
Thanks for the cards. I'll take this as your X-mas present to me. :D

What came to mind as I looked over the cards was Rules of Engagement. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/rules-of-engagement/1/) Maybe you could incorporate RoE as secondary objective cards?

big squig
21-12-2007, 04:59
UPDATE: I never noticed till now, but the advanced deck on the first page were never replaced with the current version. Which is silly since I made it over a year ago. woops. :o

I've updated it. The current deck is much better. Sorry to make people reprint...now I feel like GW.

EDIT: Whoops, um...maybe it was right? sorry, I can't remember...did I just replace the advanced deck with the exact same thing? I honestly can't remember if I already updated it a long time ago.

cruise
22-12-2007, 23:29
Ha, awesome. That's pretty much what I wanted. Thanks. I'll see about getting some you some images.

By the way though, could I ask you to put some credits on there? Just so people know it's my system. Name's Whitman Bottiger.

Done, and linked to this thread. I'll pick up the images on Monday, when I'm back at work - won't have much else to do over the holiday season :P

EDIT: Images added, and setup instructions split into a list like the books. Uses stylesheets to do all the positioning, and I've only tested it on opera so far, so if there's any problems, let me know.

big squig
02-01-2008, 02:27
Update: Cruise's online version has been added to the first page.

dr.oetk3r
02-01-2008, 03:33
These are great, thank you!

Acutus The Unforgiven
10-01-2008, 09:56
These are brill I'll be useing them

Thanks

Dragonlv8
10-01-2008, 10:16
Its a pretty good Idea, some people will think im weird, Its not Brilliant though.
Although if I made a mini tournement for my friends Id use this.

gt0079
10-01-2008, 17:01
Thank you ;)

-Prime-
10-01-2008, 17:38
Thank you, these are a great addition.

Disciple of Truth
05-02-2008, 09:59
Perfectly executed design. I registered in this forum just to comment on this thread. Have you considered submitting it to be published in Firebase?

I'm going to experiment with each player drawing a different objective card, and perhaps keeping it secret, or maybe revealing it at some point during the game.

imperial_communist
05-02-2008, 11:35
wow its so simple and you can use it to sort out arguments on infiltrate and deep strike ty ill be using em with my group from now on
:D