PDA

View Full Version : The last thing you want to hear...

Wolf 11x
18-07-2009, 04:20
when you first walk into your gaming store?

Mine has to be "Yes, I finally have 1000!" :wtf:

MercuryLamp
18-07-2009, 04:57
A baby crying. But that's the reality around here. :(

WhiteKnight
18-07-2009, 05:02
That Ring of Hotek is automatically on a Dreadlord and he only costs 10 extra points.

catbarf
18-07-2009, 05:50
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I still do not understand why the heck the people at my local GW feel a need to shout as loud as possible because of something silly like a new expansion coming out for 40k. Better still, they encourage big group yells sure to drive potential customers out of the store.

Trains_Get_Robbed
18-07-2009, 06:30
Spartans prepare for glory!

O sweet Jesus..... U hAve Spartans how am I ever to win now! Lol

NakedBarbarian
18-07-2009, 07:38
Chants of 'APOCALYPSE' in a high pitched angelic choir style group shout drove me out of my local Gamesworkshop and into the welcoming arms of my awesome local independent retailer

Dragune
18-07-2009, 08:05
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I still do not understand why the heck the people at my local GW feel a need to shout as loud as possible because of something silly like a new expansion coming out for 40k. Better still, they encourage big group yells sure to drive potential customers out of the store.

Lmao, I have to agree with this. :D

Bloodknight
18-07-2009, 08:09
Not in a gaming store, but I guess what you don't want to hear on the operating table:

Accept this offer, oh Lord of Darkness!

Condottiere
18-07-2009, 09:12
In your supervisor's office, the preamble starts about how the recession is badly effecting business.

Jedi152
18-07-2009, 09:17
"Right then, the majority of my army are cut out bits of paper right now..."

I should know, i did it to Crube. :D

The Red Scourge
18-07-2009, 09:50
"Can I help you?"

it's coming this way!
18-07-2009, 11:15
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

QFT. This bit's always annoyed me about GW... :wtf:

Briohmar
18-07-2009, 11:37
I'm sorry, all of the tables on the main floor are taken with 40K, The table in basement is free, (if you don't mind playing hunched over or hitting your head.)

phoenixlaw
18-07-2009, 13:34
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I agree, pet hate of mine

Spider-pope
18-07-2009, 14:55
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

They get told to bub, its supposed to get all the little kiddies all excited so they spend more of their parents income. Try going to the store on weekdays rather than weekends.

My own example of the last thing i want to hear comes from a veterans night we had a few months ago, where i was interrupted when declaring my charges with the words:
"Why is there a naked guy in the doorway?"

catbarf
18-07-2009, 16:18
They get told to bub, its supposed to get all the little kiddies all excited so they spend more of their parents income. Try going to the store on weekdays rather than weekends.

That's just... Really? Wow.

I honestly don't know what to say. You'd think they'd make MORE money if they didn't give the impression of being a big group of antisocial nerds to every passerby.

Spider-pope
18-07-2009, 16:31
That's just... Really? Wow.

I honestly don't know what to say. You'd think they'd make MORE money if they didn't give the impression of being a big group of antisocial nerds to every passerby.

Like i said, if you go in on a weekday when the kids are at school, you will find GW to be a far quieter and relaxed place. Most weekday staff will even talk to you without trying to sell every high priced item in the store.

But they want enthusiasm galore for the weekends, which usually translates as screaming Waagh! at the top of your lungs. Its actually part of the checklist of things they look for when recruiting.

starlight
18-07-2009, 16:52
...and no one wonders why GW's sales volumes are down...? :(

The worst thing I could hear is, "Closing out sale, everything must go..." :eek: :cries:

Dag
18-07-2009, 17:26
yelling waaaaaaaaaagh is great fun, but only in fantasy!

in my store you have to call out waaagh when you declare it, but its usually like "Waagh, ok now i roll"

its fun, especially when you and ur buddies are drinking.

also not too many kids in my area play fantasy, soooo its much more adult environment

Arduhn
18-07-2009, 20:29
:eyebrows: I used to be one of the poor souls who had to babysit all the megabattle kids on Sundays and make them scream Waaagh! Not my favourite part of the job I'll tell you, and I think my resistance to running megabattles and chatting up every customer that walked in, etc. was why I didn't last long there.

Leogun_91
18-07-2009, 21:41
Person with gun:"Say that thing again and I“ll kill the next guy that walks in through that door"
Random kid: "What thing? Waaagh?

That wouldn“t be the best thing to hear.

Tarax
19-07-2009, 08:37
The worst thing I could hear is, "Closing out sale, everything must go..." :eek: :cries:

Not if it's only that store and it comes with a large discount. :D

starlight
19-07-2009, 17:12
The last FLGS within a 90min drive made that announcement last month, and believe me it sucks no matter how good the discount is... The were the last place that had the space to support gaming, but sales keep dropping as GW keeps raising prices... :( Sure you can get some okay deals, but then what...where are you going to play and meet new opponents...?

Hadafix
19-07-2009, 19:49
What about "All Warhammer production is on hold while GW pushes the LotR, gaming other than LotR is also suspended in this store."

starlight
19-07-2009, 19:57
I'd be fine with that...LotR is a more elegant system...

Duke Georgal
19-07-2009, 20:22
What I least like to hear:

MagicTG Player: "Dude, I haven't showered in a week, been playing WOW non-stop, do I smell?"

Unsupervised Child: "Mind if I watch your game?"

WFB Newbie: "I am never going to paint my army, I have better things to do with my time."

when you first walk into your gaming store?

Mine has to be "Yes, I finally have 1000!"

I don't understand? Do you dislike 1,000 point games?

A baby crying. But that's the reality around here.

What? I have never seen a baby in a games store. Wierd.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Unless you are playing Orks or Orcs & Goblins, and something really cool happens, there is no excuse for this.

mdiscala
19-07-2009, 20:35
[color="gold"]What I least like to hear:

MagicTG Player: "Dude, I haven't showered in a week, been playing WOW non-stop, do I smell?"

Yeah its more like the last thing I want to smell. What is it with personal hygiene and some of these kids?

Condottiere
19-07-2009, 20:39
They got bored playing WoW and decided to wander down to the closest game store.

bob_the_small
19-07-2009, 21:20
"Now here are my 150 Khorne Bezerkers" - Little Kid with no codex, no list, and most of his "khorne beserkers" are guardsmen....

And "I've booked this table, but I didn't organise anyone to play against, because i thought there would be people here with 40K" - A fool.

Tarax
19-07-2009, 21:49
The last FLGS within a 90min drive made that announcement last month, and believe me it sucks no matter how good the discount is...

Sorry to hear that. :(

The were the last place that had the space to support gaming, but sales keep dropping as GW keeps raising prices... :(

I should have added that you can always buy on the internet.

Sure you can get some okay deals, but then what...where are you going to play and meet new opponents...?

Yeah, now it really hurts. Sorry again and I hope you find some new people soon.

Weemo
19-07-2009, 22:53
tbh the most annoying thing i hear walking to GW is: "sorry closing for lunch" when i have just eaten and have to wait on a freezing bus stop for half an hour :/

Aladauqs
19-07-2009, 23:35
"I think the new greatswords are an absolute bargain!"

You'd think some staffers would actually admit some stuff is overpriced.

I barely ever go to my local GW anymore. There used to be a good crowd who went down, but now it's pretty much dead. Hell, I think it's closed wednesdays and fridays and only has a single member of staff. It's pretty depressing given that I used to spend a lot of time there and it was always packed on the gaming nights. How times change.

HereticLosMorte
20-07-2009, 15:39
:eyebrows: I used to be one of the poor souls who had to babysit all the megabattle kids on Sundays and make them scream Waaagh! Not my favourite part of the job I'll tell you, and I think my resistance to running megabattles and chatting up every customer that walked in, etc. was why I didn't last long there.

i hear that, i hated having to lose my voice during megabattles to keep the kiddies (and my store manager) happy.

i hated having to walk up to ppl and dig into their gaming history and prod for sales too. too pushy for me.

walking into the store i hate the whole "hey, ever seen this before? oh? new? no? what army do you play? oh, you have 6 40k armies and 4 fantasy armies, been in the hobby for 15 yrs and used to work at this exact store when i was merely a customer? cool!! ..... you should buy this."

ugh... why i rarely go to GW stores, unless i need something that my Indy retailer doesn't carry.

there is this one girl that works at my old store, was a customer when i worked there, and was only hired on after i quit. every time i go in, she asks me the above thing, and then literally starts shoving random boxes and blisters of stuff in my hands like i want it..... umm, no thanks, i'll get what i want to myself, go f yourself in the backroom plz...

I barely ever go to my local GW anymore. There used to be a good crowd who went down, but now it's pretty much dead. Hell, I think it's closed wednesdays and fridays and only has a single member of staff. It's pretty depressing given that I used to spend a lot of time there and it was always packed on the gaming nights. How times change.

also, not sure if it's still that way, but they won't tell you stuff is overpriced when they all know it is, even with their discounts. it all comes down to pushing sales. if you meet the monthly quota for starters, accessories, core, etc (at least when i worked there) you got to make a bitz order (which no longer really exists) @ the cost of 40 cents/gram of metal.

i bought $400.00 worth of metal witchhunters and slaanesh daemonic mounts for $40.00 in one order form. that is their driving force and it is a nice perk.
i also received mines of moria and battle of macragge boxed sets for free for meeting the quota.

starlight
20-07-2009, 15:43
See there, we knew you were making it all up when you said GW employed a *girl*...we all know there are no girls in GWLand. :p

So, where in Canukia are you?

Tokamak
20-07-2009, 15:46
"Can I help you?"

Indeed, that's incredibly annoying, it feels like they're suspecting me of shoplifting.

Jedi152
20-07-2009, 16:00
I must admit, a snooty 'can i help you?' in some shops winds me right up. I know they're just trying to help, but some people really need to work on their tone and people skills.

In GW i can stomach being asked, but some other shops...

[color="gold"]MagicTG Player: "Dude, I haven't showered in a week, been playing WOW non-stop, do I smell?"
Hey! Us Magic gamers (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68359) are an amiable bunch. Sort of... :D

HereticLosMorte
20-07-2009, 16:26
See there, we knew you were making it all up when you said GW employed a *girl*...we all know there are no girls in GWLand. :p

So, where in Canukia are you?

brantford, ontario. about 1 hr west of toronto.

the store i worked at was in burlington.

Lord Malorne
20-07-2009, 16:43
Kids in general.

Ixquic
20-07-2009, 16:50
Add in another for WAAAAAAAAAGH!!! I'm not sure why it pisses me off so much but really it makes me feel embarrassed just being in the store. Worse when people over the age of 16 join in. I don't go to GW stores on weekends much anymore.

gorenut
20-07-2009, 16:59
Another token for the WAAAAAGH! Whenever I go to the mall with one of my non-Warhammer friends and go into GW.. they always think "WTF?" when the kids yell really loud. For me, its not so much being nerdy that bugs me.. I embrace my nerddom.. its just that I can't count how many times I was in the middle of reading something and all of a sudden get startled by the shrieking of a giant geek and a buncha kids. I do admit it does make some of my friends question what hobby I'm into.

Other than that.. I just don't like pushy GW sales people..
"OH.. the new Army box is out."

"Cool.. I only really need 1 unit of the new models, I'll just wait until they're sold separately"

"OH just buy this whole army box... you can ALWAYS use more of the other units!"

"I actually already have enough of those."

"CMoooon.. you know you want it.. cmoooon... cmoooon... you know you want it..."

"Duuude.. I'm in my late 20s.. those sales tactics don't work on me.. I'm not going to blow 240 bucks for 1 unit."

*blank stare* "CMOOOOOOON!"

Grimstonefire
20-07-2009, 17:12
Lol. I must just be lucky. I rarely go to GW stores, probably once every few months, but in all the years I've visited GW stores up and down the country I've only ever had anything remotely close to a hard sell once (when I was unsure which full army to collect first).

The thing I hate over hearing in GW stores is stupid sales techniques to kids in general. Cringe-worthy ones like; 'this is the last box we have in stock, you'd better buy it'. 'not have much money? Why not buy this £50 TK box? What's that, you only want the skellie regiment... Why not buy the whole box instead!' etc.

Ixquic
20-07-2009, 17:45
Yeah there used to be a manager who would tell kids to buy expensive cool looking monsters and characters that they couldn't fit into their army lists and use since this was back in 4th edition where monsters were percentage based and fitting in a 600 point dragon meant you needed like 2000 points of stuff and the kids were just starting out in the hobby (he neglected to mention that part when he was hyping them up). That kind of **** really puts a bad taste in your mouth since most of these kids don't have a lot of money so a $60 dragon is a huge chunk of their disposable income and to scam them like that isn't cool. That guy got promoted up the chain so I really have no respect for the company as a whole.

TeddyC
21-07-2009, 00:11

Couldnt agree more....

on the waaaagh thing... yes thats awful... my mum never let me stay unsupervised because she thought the staff were weird.

NakedBarbarian
21-07-2009, 01:13
TBH i've never really had a negative experience with GW staff, they've always been courteous to me.

It is funny when geeky 16yr olds get out of control and the GW staff have to yell to shut everyone up tho.

I also find it embarrasing walking into a GW when there are heaps of people around, its not that im embarrassed about playing warhammer, its just that you do look like a tamp walking into a store full of little children. I never go in on weekends and prefer the damp dark clime of my local indy.

Arduhn
21-07-2009, 01:18
It definitely varies from store to store. I had the argument with a staff member on the price of greatswords and a customer chimed in to support the staffer. I was surprised to say the least.

I ordered a couple of boxes of the Greatswords for my store, but I marked them way down to where we're barely making a profit. They still haven't sold though.

Staurikosaurus
21-07-2009, 04:34
My local store is fine. They aren't pushy and they don't shove product in your hands or let alone your face. It's an easy going atmosphere. Not surprisingly they meet all of their targets.

Arduhn
21-07-2009, 05:18
Maybe meeting all their targets puts less pressure on them to make sales, which in turn leads to a more easy going atmosphere, or maybe it's the other way round as you suggest.

starlight
21-07-2009, 05:25
It's about being flexible and knowing your customers. The local GW guys mostly leave me alone, but I've watched them treat other customers with varying degrees of enthusiasm (generally younger gets more enthusiasm and focus on the newer stuff, older gets more restraint and open ended questioning). All in all, a good store, but then Owen, Shannon, and now Paul are excellent managers. :)

HereticLosMorte
21-07-2009, 15:54
It's about being flexible and knowing your customers. The local GW guys mostly leave me alone, but I've watched them treat other customers with varying degrees of enthusiasm (generally younger gets more enthusiasm and focus on the newer stuff, older gets more restraint and open ended questioning). All in all, a good store, but then Owen, Shannon, and now Paul are excellent managers. :)

i know owen and shannon from them coming into the burlington store, and paul was actually my manager when i worked there. i take it you're in the london area, correct? i could be mistaken where paul transferred to..

starlight
21-07-2009, 15:59
Victoria. :)

As far as working, Owen made it back east somewhere, Shannon as far east as Calgary I think, and I believe Paul is still in Vic. :) Although they all made to Ont for various GW events and such...

HereticLosMorte
21-07-2009, 16:15
owen's been to gamesday toronto too, i remember running into him there.

do you remember paul's last name? i can't think of it for the life of me. -_-

starlight
21-07-2009, 16:17
Not off hand, but I remember when he was a part-timer and went by Paulie. :D

I know Owen and Shannon made it to GD 2004 when I was there. Not sure beyond that...

HereticLosMorte
21-07-2009, 16:20
ah, maybe it's a wrong paul then.
my manager when i worked at burlington transferred out, i can't remember where he went to, but he wouldn't have been a part-timer at that store, he transferred as a store manager.

Netherghoul
21-07-2009, 18:31
yelling waaaaaaaaaagh is great fun, but only in fantasy!

in my store you have to call out waaagh when you declare it, but its usually like "Waagh, ok now i roll"

its fun, especially when you and ur buddies are drinking.

also not too many kids in my area play fantasy, soooo its much more adult environment

drinking alcohol in a gw store? wow, that's er new:D

Vulcan7200
21-07-2009, 18:40
Pushy sales people would definatly be on the top of my list too. Back when Black Reach was coming out, every time I walked into the store, one of the workers there would try to get me to buy it. I explained to him, on multiple occassions that I didn't have money to spend on 40k right now (I was just collecting Fantasy stuff at the moment) and if I did want 40k, I would be going Imperial Guard. His answer to me, was to buy Black Reach, and trade the Space Marines and Orks, to other players to GET Imperial Guard.

I was also trying to get a friend into Fantasy, and we went to the same store. She was mostly interested in Daemons, but mentioned Yheti's once. The person trying to help us, immediatly started trying to convince her to get Ogres, instead of Daemons. Knowing what my friend likes, I tried to sort of stop the guy from wasting his breath. He completely cut me off, and didn't let me talk, while he tried to get her to buy Ogres.

I find it almost amazing how bad some people are at customer service, and selling in general. A big part of retail from my experience, is figuring out what your customer actually wants, and simply reinforcing their opinion. If you try too hard to push a sale, you alot of times just end up with nothing.

starlight
21-07-2009, 18:45
"She..." ? Well now we *know* you're making it up... :p

Sell them what they want, they'll be happy, they'll come back, and bring their friends. :)

Vulcan7200
21-07-2009, 19:01
"She..." ? Well now we *know* you're making it up... :p

Sell them what they want, they'll be happy, they'll come back, and bring their friends. :)

Exactly. Me and about 4 of our friends stopped shopping there, simply because of their attitude towards sales. They didn't care to try and give advice on any army you played as. Even though I played Lizardmen, and they were next in line for 7th edition, they didn't once try to talk to me about them. They simply tried to sell what was most expensive, and used lame sales tactics to try and get us all to spend money on things we didn't want or need.

As with alot of other people in the thread, we just go to a small gaming shop now, to get what we want. They carry most of what we need anyways.

Tokamak
21-07-2009, 19:12
Yeah there used to be a manager who would tell kids to buy expensive cool looking monsters and characters that they couldn't fit into their army lists and use since this was back in 4th edition where monsters were percentage based and fitting in a 600 point dragon meant you needed like 2000 points of stuff and the kids were just starting out in the hobby (he neglected to mention that part when he was hyping them up). That kind of **** really puts a bad taste in your mouth since most of these kids don't have a lot of money so a $60 dragon is a huge chunk of their disposable income and to scam them like that isn't cool. That guy got promoted up the chain so I really have no respect for the company as a whole.

Whoa that's much better handled in my store. These guys here even go all the way of explaining how kids can mix certain paints so they can buy less pots for their new army.

HereticLosMorte
21-07-2009, 19:26
indeed.
i had a really hard time working there, as they wanted me to push push push the newest stuff on ppl, even when they didn't own the armies. they said it was a way to build interest in a person so that they start looking at the item, and then want it.

instead of shoving it in their faces, why not tell them simply what is new in the respective game, ask them what they play as, and then work on making a sale from what they want to add to. it'd make more sales.

i go in once every couple of months, usually cuz my FLGS doesn't have something in stock

Krom The Eternal
24-07-2009, 00:38
Ok definitely WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH i dont get it WoC cant WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH or can they? i dont believe tombkings can do that either.....wait maybe Imperial Guard hahaha and now one that yells Waaaaagh ever plays Orks lmao

Unuhexium
24-07-2009, 13:27
Last thing i want to hear/see in a gamestore is out of control kids that pester everyone about getting freebees.

Also, the shouting on gamesdays is pretty horrible, but not nearly as horrible as ooc kids

Malorian
24-07-2009, 13:49
I think I have to agree with the posts of little kids bickering and generally being annoying.

24-07-2009, 17:52
CRAASH BANG "relax glue will fix all those"

InsideReticle
24-07-2009, 21:48
Reading this thread makes me glad I buy my minis second hand and doubly glad that there is no GW store within at least 100 miles of me.

wingedserpant
24-07-2009, 22:21
'Hey Calum.'

Two people I dislike refer to me by my proper name and not my nickname.

If the staff members are annoyingly pushy and you've made a big purchase just go back and say 'opps forgot to get that paintbrush' just to bring their beloved average sale right down.

Though I've only been into one or two GWs. I've never been on the receiving end because I started on a busy saturday and have been regular ever since.

Its quite fun buying a single paint after a massive sale was made as the average sale plummets almost as fast as the staff mebers smiles.

Caiphas Cain
24-07-2009, 22:24
The most annoying? Has to be WHAAAAG!!!!!

The best? Hey, sup? - The staff knows what I want, and where to find it.

EDIT-

Small children/ SM players (same diff, right?) saying 'Robot Gilligan is teh bestest'.

Loki73
25-07-2009, 01:14
'Robot Gilligan is teh bestest'

ROFLMAO! If I had soda in my mouth it would have come out my nose! That is gonna be sigged.

Vermin-thing
25-07-2009, 04:25
"want to pick up this Bainblade, and IG battle force?"

Girrr... I'v deiced that I'm going to finish my wood elf, O&G, and high elf armies via online traders. (so it's affordable, and so I don't have to deal with all the massive upselling)

At GW store it will cost: $6K+, and at an online trader: $900.00 :D.

I'd straight up, and fire a staffer for saying that to a WHFB vet. :(

@loki73: lol I like your avatar. :) (is it just me or did I start a trend of these types of avatars?)

tartarus
25-07-2009, 08:12
My pet hate is the 12 year olds constant screaming and boasting matches. Also there is the predictability when ever a 12 year olds walk into the store Q.what army do you collect? A.ultramarines
huge suprise.:rolleyes:

Snoopy100
25-07-2009, 08:44
Shop Keep:"Need any help"
Me:"No Im right".

Its ok the first time but after 5 times its annoying, just let me shop, my visits to my store are long and few inbetween, I need time to decide what i wanna get until my next visit.