PDA

View Full Version : Proxies?

Vote Kantor
18-07-2009, 04:39
I have a friend who proxies. HEAPS.

now i dont mind proxies if they are:
A. Justified/can explain via "counts as" (e.g. use of marines as ogryns, explaining the high strength especially if the marines are truescale)
B. Effort, i will be more willing to allow a proxy if it has been converted, than if it is just something store bought that looks similar
C. Looks, it needs to actually look like the thing it is meant to be (unless justified)
D. friendly game where the person is testing list combinations

But when a friend uses this list in planetstrike for 4 games:
10 assault marines (assault marines)
10 assault marines (normal marines)
10 assault marines (normal marines unpainted)
Ironclad dreadnaught (assault on black reach dread)
Drop pod (cup)

I get a little annoyed.

This person is also one of the fastest collectors of all my group, his excuse is that "we know that he will get it all eventually"

should this be allowed and where do you draw the line?

S00N3R FR3AK
18-07-2009, 04:54
Well when I first started and even now people let me proxy alot, so I never care if someone proxies against me as long as its clear. I would hate to be forced to play small 500-1000 all the time without being able to test what I want to build to. Personaly once I have my army built up and I no longer proxy I will always let people proxy aganist me. If its clear and matches up in size who cares?

Also you made clear which models were unpainted, does that matter outside of a tourny? O and food items as big units is funny so I allow it. The place I use to play at had a running joke about someone using a long john silvers box as a monolith and you miss out on stuff like that being too strict in firendly games.

le bard
18-07-2009, 05:03
my friend does this all the time with his space marines. i don't mind it most of the time, but it bothers me sometimes, as he bought all his models cheap, and badly painted, and it seems unfair that i've put in so much time and money into my army and he hasn't, and he still wins. is this the annoyance you're talking about?

seeing as how i don't care much to abide by WYSIWYG (i consider it a GW business ploy), i think proxying is fine, as long as it's not forever, or as long as you can't live looking at the real models.

on that note, i'm currently building up a dark eldar army using almost no models from the dark eldar range. eldar guardians as warriors, fantasy dark elf corsairs as wyches and guardian jetbikes as reavers. :D

Vote Kantor
18-07-2009, 05:29
Well when I first started and even now people let me proxy alot, so I never care if someone proxies against me as long as its clear. I would hate to be forced to play small 500-1000 all the time without being able to test what I want to build to. Personaly once I have my army built up and I no longer proxy I will always let people proxy aganist me. If its clear and matches up in size who cares?

Also you made clear which models were unpainted, does that matter outside of a tourny? O and food items as big units is funny so I allow it. The place I use to play at had a running joke about someone using a long john silvers box as a monolith and you miss out on stuff like that being too strict in firendly games.

This was a 2000 point list (he could have done it without proxies easy) made specifically for planetstrike. List tailoring is fine with me, if you actually have said list. With the painting thing, your right, i just felt like adding it becaues I had a fully painted army untill the release of the valkyrie and so i find it annoying that he doesn't even bother with painting anymore.

my friend does this all the time with his space marines. i don't mind it most of the time, but it bothers me sometimes, as he bought all his models cheap, and badly painted, and it seems unfair that i've put in so much time and money into my army and he hasn't, and he still wins. is this the annoyance you're talking about?

Almost, the difference being that in the last few games 3 of the last 4 games against me he had no models left on the table.:p

on that note, i'm currently building up a dark eldar army using almost no models from the dark eldar range. eldar guardians as warriors, fantasy dark elf corsairs as wyches and guardian jetbikes as reavers. :D

That is fine with me, it qualifies because it is not only justified (and it looks similar) but it would actually take some effort.

S00N3R FR3AK
18-07-2009, 05:40
O well if he was to lazy to use the real models instead of proxying then yeah it was wrong. I could see maybe a swaud if you forgot them or something but as much as he did no.