PDA

View Full Version : Trying something a little different

Firebreather
18-07-2009, 05:52
Hey there everyone. Based on some batreps I've been watching, and wanting to try a slightly different appraoch with my Dark Elves, I've come up with a new potential list. I'm going for a more quick and manouverable force, with very little in the way of static combat res for comfort, depending instead on damage output from a couple or three key units, and out-moving the enemy. Here's the list.

Master-
Heavy Armour
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak
Cold One
Sword of Battle
Potion of Strength

Sorceress-
Level 2
Focus Familiar

Sorceress-
Level 2
Dark Steed
Darkstar Cloak

5 Dark Riders-
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5 Dark Riders-
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Cold One Knights-
Dread Knight
Musician
Standard Bearer
Standard of Slaughter

15 Black Guard-
Tower Master
Musician
Standard Bearer
Standard of Hag Graef
Soulrender

War Hydra

TOTAL-1496pts.

So, as you can see, I have next to nothing in the form of solid static combat res to fall back on. It doesn`t make use of the excellent and cheap Dark Elf spearmen with their Hatred, which for a while is something I`d never consider leaving home without. However, I think this list has potential. As great as static resolution can be, I`ve found for me it`s more of a mental crutch and comfort thing rather than much of anything utterly necessary. With the correct application of force applied by any of the several units I have capable of laying it down hard and heavy, supported by spells and quick moving flankers, I feel pretty good about the whole thing, actually.

So, I just thought I`d run this idea by you guys, and see what you thought. Please let me know if you have any experiences or suggestions on this. And is this sort of army actually reasonable and as flexible as I seem to think it might be...

Cutmasta114
18-07-2009, 07:21
I think the basic idea behind this is very solid--in general, you don't really play DE to win with static combat rez. Spearelves are the only thing that are moderately hord-y, and they are a bit (at 7 points) expensive to do even that. We live or die by active combat resolution, and as such I think your theory that you can leave home without the blocks may well hold up in practice.

If I were you, to make this list even more effective, I'd do the following:

Add a dark steed for the other sorceress, so you can pound the enemy with magic very early on. Doombolt and Chillwind are both great spells (easy to cast) but they need the range (Chillwind, even on a 24 usually needs a little movement forward to hit pesky things like empire handgunners sitting on hills in the back of the deployment zone).

Consider adding another support unit (perhaps a small unit of corsairs) to deny ranks and cut down on enemy static combat rez for the Black Guards (Even though their stubborn, it'll be nice if you can break things routinely with them).

Other than that, the list looks like it's solid, and should uphold your theory.

Good luck!

Firebreather
18-07-2009, 17:26
Thanks, Cutmasta! I love it! I was actually thinking something similar in line with your suggestion in regards to having one more smallish flanking unit to support the Black Guard, so I might try to find the points for that...somewhere:)

As for mounting the other Sorceress...I like it, I like it very much. I might just have to find the points to manage to do that, as I think you're quite right, it would allow me to pound the more dangerous, and hence, further away from my battleline enemy units right from the get-go with any luck. Of course, that's why I initially gave her the Focus Familiar, hoping to hide her somewhere nice and safe, and stick her little Imp out 6" and cast from that. That might work too, no? Of course, giving her a mount like you've said is likely much more reliable on a regular basis, and might be the best way to go.

Either way, thanks so much for the suggestions and compliment, I really appreciate it. I'm glad to see I might be on the right track here!