PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Bastions?

PikeZ33
18-07-2009, 06:31
Any homebrew ideas for Tyranid bastions?

I disagree with Planetstrike's statement that a squad of Tyranid troops would be operating an Imperial bastion.

I was thinking Tyranid themed terrain without Imperial weaponry. You allow all Tyranid troop units to take WoN unconditionally (to purchase as gaunts do) and they can use standing Bastions and starting points when respawning using WoN (they would enter play as if they had just dismounted from a non-ruined Bastion).

GeneralDisaster
18-07-2009, 06:33
How about converting the Imperial one to have fleshy growths and tyranid guns? Try and get hold of some of the BoM Tyranid stuff if you do go along this line.

DarkstarSabre
18-07-2009, 06:43
Well, you could use the Forge World spore chimneys....

Or my plan is old Epicast Malefactors...

druchii lord narakh
18-07-2009, 06:44
use some of the forge world spines as bastions and just say that any gaunts, genesteelers, or warriors held in reserve may enter through the spines so long as its alive and just use standard bastion rules for it.(give it a venom cannon of devorer)

MasterDecoy
18-07-2009, 06:53
This (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207749&highlight=tyranid+fortress) thread has some nifty ideas (some of which I came up with myself)

LoneSniperSG
18-07-2009, 06:55
One thing, you could possibly get ahold of the Gaunt Nest thing that FW has. But that doesn't really count as a bastion, I guess.

Although you would work up some stat that any unit within range is impaled and scythed to death by protective Raveners or something.

badguyshaveallthefun
18-07-2009, 19:09
How about converting the Imperial one to have fleshy growths and tyranid guns? Try and get hold of some of the BoM Tyranid stuff if you do go along this line.

I like this idea. Think of those corrupted command posts from starcraft.
You could also try to make some kind of bone "chimney" rising from the ground, or some kind of ribcage rising out from the ground. There's lots of really creepy things that could pass as a tyranid bastion.

Tokamak
18-07-2009, 19:11
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m240015a_2009-07-13_Blog_Post_Thurrock_1_Large
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m240018a_2009-07-01_Blog_Post_Thurrock_2_X-Large

EVIL INC
18-07-2009, 19:49
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207749
Maybe a mod/admin can merge the two threads. If not, here is the link to the thread where we discussing this earlier today.
Good luck.

Max Jet
19-07-2009, 00:50
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...urrock_1_Large
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...rock_2_X-Large

These are the lamest excuse for Xenos player to buy Imperial terrain I have ever seen! You can do so much better with a little bit of Styrofoam and Grey stuff!
I would take some inspiration from here
http://communitystarcraft.com/images/techtrees/zergtechtree.jpg
or from the Terrain section on
www.warpshadow.com

Nezmith
19-07-2009, 01:01
These are the lamest excuse for Xenos player to buy Imperial terrain I have ever seen! You can do so much better with a little bit of Styrofoam and Grey stuff!

Silly Xenos, you will always be second rate to humanity. You might as well just take over the Human bastions for the time being because the Space Marines will still evict you before you get a chance to build any of your own.

Max Jet
19-07-2009, 01:31
Silly Xenos, you will always be second rate to humanity. You might as well just take over the Human bastions for the time being because the Space Marines will still evict you before you get a chance to build any of your own.

I think we should all teach you a lesson and stop playing until the remaining players get sick of loyal marines versus loyal marines games.
(Don't worry I get your irony ;) )
Other than that, something like this, only with more alien and less human details.
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g08/100708/100708_1214455844_submedium.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/alien%20landscape/josh2222/Alien%20Art/AlienLandscape.jpg

CrotchLictor
23-07-2009, 18:48
I found the remains of a turtle out a lake a while back and kept it thinking of terrain possibilities. Seems like you could take the top half of the shell and paint/dress it up, them mount it over some putty/spackle terrain mounds to look like it's got entrances on multiple sides. Think of a hill with the shell as a top, and holes in the sides for access points. Not sure if I'll end up doing it, but the thought has possibilities if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

EVIL INC
23-07-2009, 19:09
Thats a great idea. lets hope we dont see everyone start to kill off thier pet box turtles. That would look REALLY snazzy with a large snapper shell. Use a few boxer shells for the "extensions" with the snapper as the main body and you have yourself a cool stronghold.
Old dried bones could make for some cool walls as would spoked ribs painted up to look like living spines growing from the earth (think fish ribs dried and cleaned, then greenstuffed/painted to look like living spines).

Charax
23-07-2009, 20:01
You know, Planetstrike has me wanting to build Bastions for armies I don't even collect...

For Tyranids, Dawn of War 2 already gives us a vague idea of what their bastions would look like, bits-ordering some Carnifex arms or getting some capillary towers from Forgeworld would be a good start.

Crashed Mycetic Spores are another good theme for Bastions (especially Drop Bastions!) the spores that started the Tyranids' own invasion are then reinforced and used to defend them against an attempt to retake the planet. The shattered shells of a Spore would make a decent defence line stand-in too.

and that's not even mentioning the possibility of large bio-constructs. Page 16 mentions Living Bastions, afterall

Lord Inquisitor
23-07-2009, 20:08
Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is some kind of giant brood nest (like a giant termite hill?) but the alien references that could be made are undeniably tempting. A big chunk of a crashed Space Hulk compete with oozing alien corridor entrances would be my favourite.

Or even - for the insanely ambitious - some kind of giant living structure. A dormant or crippled Dominatrix or even Norn Queen! (Whatever that looks like!). Or a small, landed Tyranid space-snail craft. Like the obliterator-virus-infected ship used in Storm of Iron.

Bookwrak
23-07-2009, 20:15
For my tyranid bastion, I'm using the digestion pool which I built along the 'how-to' guide that used to be on the website (it might still be there)

Dr.Mercury
23-07-2009, 20:33
How about taking several hundred plastic drinking straws, and cutting them down and attaching them together to make a kind of wasp nest?

Mortarion74
27-06-2010, 17:19
Here are my tyranid terrain bitsb and bobs, capillary towers, a spore chimney and a digestion pool, we class the spore chimney as having D3 Bio Plasma shots per turn (which can be AA) Digection pool has acid spray template, capillary towers have stinkger salvo. We also have set rules that any troops within 6" of any or all nid terrain automatically take D6 attacks from ripper tantacles [a bit like necron monolyth defence guns]

Mortarion74
27-06-2010, 17:22
the pics of the tyranid terrain, note the rotting dissolving victims in the digestion pool

Setesh
27-06-2010, 18:08
perhaps a corrupted bastion covered in greestuff/ hot glue gun alien growths a la 'aliens'

Mortarion74
27-06-2010, 18:17
perhaps a corrupted bastion covered in greestuff/ hot glue gun alien growths a la 'aliens'

I am working on a ruined bastion, (made of card) with a capillary tower rising up out of its cracked walls, I am trying to figure out how to make the holes for a nid brood nest, to look realistic.

down side is can the roof gun be used? can it be replaced with a nid gun, suuch as a biovore cannon?

Setesh
27-06-2010, 21:42
I am working on a ruined bastion, (made of card) with a capillary tower rising up out of its cracked walls, I am trying to figure out how to make the holes for a nid brood nest, to look realistic.

down side is can the roof gun be used? can it be replaced with a nid gun, suuch as a biovore cannon?

why dont you greenstuff a tyranid weapon to the building as if its grown onto it? You could use a venom cannon.

EmperorEternalXIX
28-06-2010, 01:38
We solved this with counts-as capillary towers.

Mortarion74
01-07-2010, 18:56
Here is the model so far, the imperial bastion all melted by bio acid and cracked with capillary towers growing out of the shattered ruins.

could be used as a set ruin, or as a tyranid bastion?

Setesh
01-07-2010, 22:22
nice! Be sure to post up more pics once its painted!

Mortarion74
06-07-2010, 15:00
here is the painted tyranid bastion in action, I think it came on quite well, love any comments

Grubnar
07-07-2010, 10:13
here is the painted tyranid bastion in action, I think it came on quite well, love any comments

You are right, it did turn out quite well. In fact I am sure this is the best looking tyranid "bastion" or any other type of tyranid building I have ever seen.

The only "fault" I find with it is the colors. I am assuming these are your nids running around it, red with white carapace (looks good). So why are the towers pushing up through the ruined bastion blue with white carapace?? The color contrast is pretty strong.

Memnos
07-07-2010, 10:19
Actually, I think it would be great to do an entire table of Tyranid terrain.

Possibly make it the back of a Tyranid hive ship. I imagine a strike force of Space Marines drop-podding on to the hive ship, little Tyranid beasties crawling over the skin to repel the invaders.

Mortarion74
08-07-2010, 06:35
as for the blue, my origional nid capillary towers were red, but ut didnt look quite good enough on the snow background, and as the rest of my terrain is white/blue/gray the blue capillary towers dont look too bad, my tytranid army is red and bleached bone.

still could always go another way with the scenary. However one thought was that the towers were pumping up water, giving them blue ice look.

Does any of that make sence?

Dunklezahn
08-07-2010, 10:18
It's been mentioned before but the "Plasma Hatchers" toys make great drop pods/bastions. Throw away the silly wind up toy and you get a cool looking pod thing and a gloopy, sticky ball of nid terrain. From there you can either build on it to make it look more reinforced if you want or leave it be. I personally just bought 3 that are currently acting as Spores on assault and normal games and living bastions on defence for Planetstrike.

Sai-Lauren
08-07-2010, 15:05
For the other races, a Bastion would be somewhere that can hold stores, act as a barracks and command centre and so on.

Tyrannid's don't really need anything like that.

Personally, I'd make it look like the lower end of a capillary tower with some digestion pools at the base - once the invasions in the final stages, it'll grow the rest of the tower to pass the biomatter up to the Hive Ship - and make the escape hatch a spawning pool.

Possibly a biovore wih venom cannon conversion for the roof gun, that looks like it's part of the whole construct.

Or give it a hive mind node (or convert a Zoanthrope to be part of the construct) for the comms option.

And make it say T8 with 4 wounds and regenerate, rather than giving it armour values.

Mortarion74
09-07-2010, 10:23
the idea of an armour profile is because its basically an imperial bastion ued by the nids as a bastion, the bastion will have a bomb shelter under it giving the capillary towers a base to grow from and the nids to build a nest. The bastion will also have had a garrison and stores of foot and bio-matter making a bastion of any race a perfect starting point for the nids to convert into their own, after all many animals and plants use human structures to air their own growth/living quarters.

I give it all round armour 14, but class it as open topped. Its armed with the bastic tentacles with their 6 attacks to anything withinj range and has a couple of nid weapons fixed in it along with bio plasma attacks from the digestion pool. Any upgrades can be made by standing nids in it. zoanthrope, etc..

Sai-Lauren
09-07-2010, 13:20
after all many animals and plants use human structures to air their own growth/living quarters.

Not really, they use whatever's available - be it manufactured or natural.

Ivy'll climb a tree just as easily as it'll climb the side of your house.

enygma7
09-07-2010, 19:22
If you want to make large fleshy growths (ooh err?)/spores a good material is expanding foam filler. This is the stuff you spray into gaps in houses and it expands to look like some sort of wierd alien fungal growth (I assume your then meant to sand it down :) ).

Mortarion74
26-07-2010, 17:54
having considered your comments I came to the decision you are wizer than me, not like you guys are in anyway a yoda to my byoung Padawan or anything, more like baldric to blackadder, he was occasionally correct now and then.

and so here is the basion with a new paint job.

Brother Alexos
26-07-2010, 18:36
I think that making it look like a Mycetric Spore was turned into a niddly bastion would make sense.

massey
26-07-2010, 19:34
I think what the bastions looked like would depend what phase of the invasion you were in. Early on, they'll use Imperial bastions that they've overrun. Think of Aliens. It's a metal structure with weird growth in certain areas. Later on, their own organisms would take their places.

Mortarion74
27-07-2010, 21:55
Agreed, in the early stages anything would do, I thought of this as a bunker for the nids, a digestuon pool with a chimera stuck in it, it works as a AV 10.