PDA

View Full Version : Arnan 317th "Death's Own" - iPaint's IG Log

Pages : [1] 2 3

iPaint
18-07-2009, 08:10
Welcome to my Imperial Guard painting log. Below is my collection, organized into the Arnan 4th Army. I will use this first post as a guide to what has been painted, and to present how the army's fluff is organized.

Green - Finished
Yellow - Paint in progress
Orange - Primed
Red - Unassembled or Unprimed
Grey - Not yet purchased

Elements of Arnan 4th Army

Arnan 317th Mechanized Infantry Regiment - "Death's Own"

Headquarters Platoon, 2nd Company

Company Command Squad
- 1 Senior Grade Officer - Commander w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 4 Veterans - 4 Vets w/ Plasmaguns
- MkVII Chimera - "Bungaroo" Chimera w/ Multilaser and Heavy Flamer

Company Command Squad
- 1 Senior Grade Officer - Commander w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 4 Veterans - 4 Vets w/ Plasmaguns
- MkVII Chimera - "Bungaroo" Chimera w/ Multilaser and Heavy Flamer

1st Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Company

Armored Fist Platoon Command Squad
- 1 Junior Grade Officer - Lieutenant w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 4 Guardsmen - 4 Guardsmen w/ Flamers
- MkX Chimera - Chimera w/ Multilaser and Heavy Flamer

1st Armored Fist Squad
- 1 Non-commissioned Officer - Sergeant w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 9 Guardsmen - 1 Guardsman w/ Grenade Launcher, 1 Autocannon Team, 6 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
- MkIX Chimera - Chimera w/ Multilaser and Heavy Flamer

2nd Armored Fist Squad
- 9 Guardsmen - 1 Guardsman w/ Grenade Launcher, 1 Autocannon Team, 6 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

3rd Armored Fist Squad

4th Armored Fist Squad

2nd Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Company

Armored Fist Platoon Command Squad

1st Armored Fist Squad

2nd Armored Fist Squad

3rd Armored Fist Squad

4th Armored Fist Squad

Reconnaissance Squadron, 2nd Company

1st Recon Squadron
- MkI Scout Sentinel - Scout Sentinel w/ Autocannon
- MkI Scout Sentinel - Scout Sentinel w/ Autocannon

Arnan 451st Infantry Regiment - "Blood and Glory"

1st Platoon, 17th Company

Platoon Command Squad

1st Infantry Squad

2nd Infantry Squad

3rd Infantry Squad

4th Infantry Squad

Weapons Platoon, 17th Company

1st Special Weapons Squad
- 6 Guardsmen - 1 Guardsman w/ Demo Charge, 2 Guardsmen w/ Flamers, 3 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

1st Heavy Weapons Squad
- 6 Guardsmen - 3 Mortar Teams

2nd Heavy Weapons Squad
- 6 Guardsmen - 3 Mortar Teams

Arnan First Assault Korps - "Excipium Imperium"

Veteran Assault Squad
- 1 Senior Non-commissioned Officer - Veteran Sergeant w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 9 Veterans - 3 Veterans w/ Multimeltas, 6 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Veteran Assault Squad
- 1 Senior Non-commissioned Officer - Veteran Sergeant w/ Laspistol and CCW
- 9 Veterans - 3 Veterans w/ Multimeltas, 6 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Arnan 82nd Sturmkompany - "Death From Above"

1st Stormtrooper Squad
- 1 Senior Non-commissioned Officer - Veteran Sergeant w/ Hotshot Laspistol and CCW
- 8 Veteran Stormtroopers - 1 Stormtrooper w/ Multimelta, 1 Stormtrooper w/ Hotshot Lasgun, 1 Stormtrooper w/ Multimelta, 5 Stormtroopers w/ Hotshot Lasguns

Arnan 3rd Armored Regiment - "Steel Might"

Command Squadron, 3rd Regiment

Command Squadron
- MkIV Leman Russ - "Arnan" Command Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Lascannon
- MkIV Leman Russ - "Arnan" Command Leman Russ w/ Lascannon

12th Emperor's Fist Armored Company

1st Squadron
- MkVIII Leman Russ - Leman Russ w/ Heavy Flamer

Arnan 48th Heavy Tank Regiment - "Gloria Mortis"

1st Emperor's Anvil Heavy Tank Company

1st Squadron
- MkI "Mortian" Heavy Battle Tank - Mortian w/ Heavy Bolter

Arnan 2nd Super Heavy Tank Company

77th Steel Fury Super Heavy Tank Company

2nd Squadron
- Baneblade - Baneblade w/ Heavy Bolter and Lascannon Sponsons

Arnan 6th Assault Tank Regiment

19th Hellfury Assault Tank Company

1st Squadron
- Mk VI Hellhound - Hellhound w/ Heavy Flamer
- Mk VI Hellhound - Hellhound w/ Heavy Flamer

The goal for this log is to see all that red and orange and yellow turn into beautiful green.

Table of Contents:

Tutorials:
Veteran Camouflage Tutorial
Tank Painting Tutorial
Tank Painting Tutorial with Hellhound Reference Pics
MkIV Arna Pattern Leman Russ Construction Tutorial

Useful Tidbits:
Leman Russ Turret Comparisons
New Hellhound Kit Review
Leman Russ Cannon Dimensions
Arnan 317th TOE
Wargames Factory's Greatcoats Preview (courtesy of Predatorpt :D)

~iPaint

Explodingboy
18-07-2009, 08:34
All sounds promising,

look forward to the pics, and seeing this log grow.
Whats the colour scheme by the way if thats been decided?

I haven't played in some time but I always enjoyed mortars.. the more the merrier, plus the're the cheapest HW squad available, and the easiest to keep out of harms way. If it wasn't for the fact mortars aren't chosen under the Command HQ I'd still be planning them for my current guard army, (still no big loss, no mortars for my guard, mean more Man-o-Vores for my infected guard.)

I'm very curious too see the tank, I'm familliar with both the Macharius and Mortian, so it'll be interesting to see how yours turn out.

Explodingboy.

iPaint
18-07-2009, 18:37
Well, for the life of me, I can't find the camera, so I guess pics will have to wait until I figure out where it went.

For the paint scheme, I am torn between an autumn oakleaf pattern similar to Sheep's, or a much simpler and quicker dark gray tunic and light grey pants with black armor. I have some guys with helmet covers, so I am torn between a camo pattern for the smock and cover, or just leaving the cover the same as the tunic.

My one concern with the camo pattern is having the colors be bright enough that they do not become washed together if I decide to apply a wash to them later down the road. I have painted a test model in the oakleaf, but I think the orange is too dark.

As always, any input is appreciated. I'll find that camera eventually.

~iPaint

iPaint
19-07-2009, 07:07
Still no dice on the camera...

In the mean time, I have come up with a few painting schemes for the infantry.

#1: Dark grey armor, tan fatigues
#2: Light grey armor, medium brown fatigues
#3: Black armor, medium grey fatigues
#4: Dark brown armor, tan fatigues

Any thoughts?

Explodingboy
19-07-2009, 07:59
I like the sound of 3, but it really depends on how well you can highlight the black.

I can't say grey and brown combination appeals to me, but it may just be my mental picture that is wrong.

1 and 4 though sound like solid ideas though too, I just like 3 more.

EmMeTt
19-07-2009, 08:36
I think black/really dark grey with tan fatigues might look good. I think a bone colour would probably look better than tan, but that's just me.

iPaint
20-07-2009, 23:18
So, I've done a few test figs, and have settled on the medium grey with black armor. I need to figure out a color for the gas masks, and I'm thinking a tan to break up the grey. Also working on unit insignias. I'm thinking a skull on the left side of the bare helmets, and some form of colored insignia/shield thing on the right of the helmet, on that nifty range-spotter or whatever it is that Kolony helmets have. Shoulders I think I'll do left side with the regiment number, and right possibly leave blank.

Also, I've been looking over the new Demolisher sprue cuts, and I have to say, I'm liking the size of this new turret. It should fit well on top of the new hull I've been testing out for my converted Leman Russes.

Here's a quick MS Paint mock-up how the MkIV Arna Pattern Russ will look:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/LR_1side-1.jpg

Side shot with the hull in light grey, and the side track parts in a dark grey. Tracks will most likely no longer be flush to the armor, and instead be exposed much like the Macharius tracks. I may also widen them as well, since the tracks on a standard Russ are way too small to support such a tank.

I think I can use the LR hull and just slide it back, filling in the gap with a piece of plasticard in the front. I my have to hack the back part where the engine block is in order to build up the turret area and new engine block with plasticard.

~iPaint

iPaint
25-07-2009, 23:24
Ok, finally I found my camera. Here's some WIP shots of the infantry and the color scheme I've chosen. The models are finished except for a gloss spray, decals, then a matte seal and basing, which I'm thinking will be a dirty mud with some sparse grass or some rocks. I may end up going darker on the base to fit the mud color I choose.

Without further ado:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard2.jpg

And the mock-up Leman Russ out of LEGO I had mentioned earlier in the log. Much larger and more intimidating I think:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/arna_russ1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/arna_russ2.jpg

~iPaint

Explodingboy
25-07-2009, 23:55
Nice colour scheme, I really like how the infantry are turning out.

the lego tank is looking good too, It's a much nicer shape for the Russ overall, so I look forward to seeing the progress on that.

iPaint
27-07-2009, 08:17
So, I have made some progress on the test minis, including decals on the 4 infantrymen, and decals on the now-finished platoon commander. I have also based the five of them in a dark grey-brown mud/rock mixture, and will get the rest of the basing done tomorrow. I'll even toss in some pics. Keep an eye on this post for an update with said pics.

Also, in a fit of sheer brilliance, I decided (if you happened to see the edit on the first post) to renumber the regiment to the 317th. Yes, cutting decals off of the IG sheet, then cutting those decals up is more pain than pleasure. So, in order to maintain some fragment of sanity, I decided to go for the 317 decals to number the regiment, and I must say, I don't regret it.

Anyone doing decals on their figs should invest in 3 main things: a decent gloss coat, Micro Set, and Micro Sol. After spraying a finished model with the gloss coat, simply add some Micro Set to the desired decal area (remember to let the gloss coat dry!), apply the decal, let it dry, then add some Micro Sol on top of it and let the whole thing dry off for a while. The finished product is exceptionally stunning, and I can barely tell from a distance that I used a decal. Add some dull coat and a matte seal spray and it looks top notch.

PICS:
They came out a bit brighter than the other ones, since it was overcast a few days ago. I'll see about taking some later this evening after the sun gets lower in the sky or some clouds roll in.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard3.jpg

Platoon Leader with magnetized arms, allowing me to use any combo I like. As of now, only the plasma pistol and chainsword arms are painted, but I was able to magnetize a few other options, so eventually I'll get around to painting them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard4.jpg

I decide for an ash waste basing scheme, since the mud effects I was going for looked too much like frosting on a cake. I like what resulted.

~iPaint

Lionsbane
28-07-2009, 20:00
Something like this?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z223/Lionsbane_photo/Machruss5.jpg

They were still a bit taller than i'd have liked.

iPaint
28-07-2009, 21:07
Very much like that, though I think I'll extend the rear engine compartment a bit more to elongate the profile of the tank. Also, I've never been a fan of the old-school LR turret: it was way too boxy. The new one has some promise.

I'm loving the overall look of that tank though, and I must say, it is quite close to what I will try and do. Was it all plasticard work for the back part?

I'm also thinking that I'll be able to get everything I need from the new Demolisher kit: the Punisher turret looks like it is perfect to hold both the chaingun variant and a simple barrel for a Battle Cannon, that I can then add more length to for a Vanquisher.

chaos0xomega
28-07-2009, 21:31
If a leman russ sized macharius is what you're after: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147552&highlight=imperial+guard+players

alternatively see the link in my sig if you're willing to wait a bit longer.

iPaint
28-07-2009, 22:06
If a leman russ sized macharius is what you're after: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147552&highlight=imperial+guard+players

alternatively see the link in my sig if you're willing to wait a bit longer.

Yes, I have seen both of those tanks, and they are both quite stunning. It's amazing what you can do nowadays. I have even come close to buying a few of Mort's, but my budget is stretched thin at the moment. Maybe later this fall I'll have time to sit down and consider the options.

iPaint
01-08-2009, 06:26
Just a quick update here. I went out today and bought one of the new Demolishers, and I have to say, pretty sweet number of options you can run with just one kit. I've decided to use the gun mantlet from the gatling gun to double as the base for my Battle Cannon and Vanquisher variants. All I need to do is mount some plasticard onto the end of a plastic tube, and I'll be all set. Just magnetize the whole set of weapons, and I can field all but 2 of the variants with one tank kit and a little modeling magic.

The kit goes together quite well, and the track assembly is a breeze compared to the older model. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the depth of detail on the side of the hull is lacking, especially for the 2 springs at the front of the tank.

The tank commander is also quite stunning.

Overall, the kit is a 9/10 in my book. Lack of stowage/bits to customize the tank is the one thing missing. An extra sprue easily could have fit in the box, even if the older one just went in.

Explodingboy
01-08-2009, 06:46
I await the pictures,

I keep hearing allot about this new tank commander.. for the life of me I can't work out how such a figure could be so spectacular to warrant such merit, especially when he plays no role in the use of the overall kit.

I will say though, I do like the sound of the new track system, since the last one was a real bugger to get done, and the main reason I still hate assembling Chimeras to this day.

athamas
01-08-2009, 10:04
may i point you in the direction of:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120264

Nice work... :P

Lu&Pu
01-08-2009, 10:57
may i point you in the direction of:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120264

Nice work... :P

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw iPaints MS Paint mock-up. ^^

Oh and thank you for the link searched for it a longer time now.

Well I think this is way one should go for enlarging the Leman Russ BT.

iPaint
01-08-2009, 18:53
Very nice find on that link. While I don't think elongating the track sections now would be a smart move, it definitely adds more realism to the length of the tank. That's very nice modeling.

I'll have some pics up in a bit to show where I am with the new Demolisher.

iPaint
03-08-2009, 02:17
As promised, here is an update of the new Arna MkIV Leman Russ so far:

Upgraded battle cannon, using plastic piping.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ4.jpg

Front view, nothing much here. I swapped the gunner and driver's positions, dunno why, but I like the way it looks.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ3.jpg

Couple shots to show what left I have to do with the rear of the tank and the sides.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ2.jpg

Please disregard the headless commander, he's just there for grins :)

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
03-08-2009, 05:24
I like where this is going so far man! The paint jobs are on point. I love the Pig-Iron/Cadian mix, I've seen it before - but its still VERY awesome. Stick with the ash waste scheme btw, it will look so good with weathering effects n what have you.

btw, love your sig..that gave you the extra 0.1% needed for 5/5!

Vaktathi
04-08-2009, 20:56
cool project so far, I'm also working on my Pig Iron/Cadian stuff. I like the tank so far too :D

iPaint
04-08-2009, 23:57
Another Russ update. Added a larger engine block, designed to break up the profile of the tank some.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ7.jpg

~iPaint

jdobbs7130
05-08-2009, 01:53
I really like the way pig iron heads look on guardsmen. I'm thinking about using them for storm trooper heads in my guard force.

Kriegfreak
05-08-2009, 02:42
I really like the way pig iron heads look on guardsmen. I'm thinking about using them for storm trooper heads in my guard force.

Probably a good move! Otherwise you'd have to get them via direct-order, which is a pain. I've always wondered why they didn't have a Plastic Storm Trooper Box Set out upon release of the codex. Pig Iron has more than the heads to, they have the full blown storm trooper like figures with a few varieties to boot.

-
The tank looks really good man. I'd like to try my hand at some plastic piping for a tank barrel. I know its still WIP, but I think its going to need some rivets/battle damage to really come together.

iPaint
05-08-2009, 07:06
Yeah, I have some thin plastic rod I am going to use for rivets once all the main stuff is put together. I also thin having a decent engine block (unlike the regular Russ) will really help as well.

As for Pig Iron, I can't tell you how pleased I have been with what I have used of their products. The one thing I was slightly disappointed with was the Comms head that came with the command pack. It is really quite lopsided and sort of under-detailed, and small compared to the other heads. However, if you have a helmet you want gas-masked, they work wonders for that sort of conversion.

I ordered my packs from a great little shop called Rattlehead Games, about 120 heads in all.

iPaint
10-08-2009, 04:55
Updated pics of the Leman Russ. Just need to finish up the rear egine block and add some rivets/stowage and she's good to go.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ8.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ9.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ10.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ11.jpg

~iPaint

iPaint
16-08-2009, 22:31
Couple day's worth of work on the Russ and here's where it's at. I'd say it's about 95% done, just some more rivets on the side plates and some filler in between gaps in the plasticard and she should be good. I'm debating getting a chimera bits pack off of eBay to add some extra stowage on the sides, since I really want that lived-in feeling.

I also think this will be the only conversion I make, and will use it as the command Leman Russ for any further tanks I get. It just took so damn long to finish. I will be strictly using only the new Demolishers for any more LR tanks I add to the army, and making the cannon barrels from plasticard. I'll see if I can scrounge up some extra bits and pieces from here and there to add some flavor to the kit, since the lack of an accessory sprue is a real let down.

Enough chat from me. Here's some (rather bright) pics. Maybe later this evening I'll take some less-washed out pics.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ12.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ13.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ14.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ15.jpg

cont....

iPaint
16-08-2009, 22:32
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ16.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ17.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ18.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ19.jpg

Seeing these pics, I'll definitely be taking a few more pics later this evening to lessen the amount of brightness. A lot of the detail ahs been washed out, sadly.

~iPaint

iPaint
16-08-2009, 23:57
Some better lighting:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ20.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ21.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ22.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ23.jpg

~iPaint

No-One
17-08-2009, 02:24
how much would you charge to convert one of those if i sent you a leman russ in the mail? :D

Explodingboy
17-08-2009, 02:27
Looks good, the second set of pictures really help.

any chance you have a regular russ, to compare it with in some more pics?

The Toothless Rhino
17-08-2009, 02:48
that looks great, gets me in the mood to convert up a leman russ. damn, i hate it when i get inspired... keep up the good work. :)

iPaint
17-08-2009, 04:20
As requested, here's some comparison shots with my Orks' Looted Russ, and some army pics in the next post.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ_comp1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ_comp2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ_comp3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ_comp4.jpg

cont...

iPaint
17-08-2009, 04:26
Army shot. Well, pretty much just an infantry platoon of 4 squads and 1 heavy wep squad currently with lascannons:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/army_shot1.jpg

Company Commander with magnetized arms for easy swapping depending on army list:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/comp_com1.jpg

My favorite Sergeant model so far:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/sgt1.jpg

Oh, and I think I'll toss in a Vanquisher shot as well. Lucky for me, the inner diameter of the Demolisher cannon fits perfectly with the tubing I am using. Instant Vanquisher or Demolisher depending on what I feel like.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ_vanq2.jpg

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
17-08-2009, 20:30
Man, that Leman Russ turned out killer! Really rough and tough lookin tank. What measure of tubing are you using btw? Think it would be a good idea to have people know, I'd like to be able to swap in a vanquisher and have it fit so snug!

iPaint
18-08-2009, 05:54
I believe the outer diameter of the thinner tubing is 1/4", and the thicker one is 5/16". However, these are rough estimates, as they were leftover pieces that I've had for a while and just (luckily!) happened to be a perfect fit.

I like the thickness of the radio antenna: it makes it sturdy and old-fashioned at the same time. Plus, it's already been glued down, so I guess I'm too lazy to go fixing it now :)

I spent the night reading through all of the Space Hulk post, and the set really brings back fond memories of my childhood. Also, I spent some time making my Hardened Veterans Squad out of leftover heavy wep backpacks, old Stormtrooper packs, and some metal backpacks I've had laying around from a long OOP sci-fi trooper. The squad is gonna have 3 meltas and the Demolitions perk, so they needed lots of gubbins to really make 'em spiffy. I'm thinking I'll set up some sort of camo for them as well when I get around to painting them. I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

I also bit the bullet and sent away for a Baneblade, 4 chimeras, and 2 more Demolishers to round off the army with some mobile support. I also think some decals were in there as well...

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
18-08-2009, 09:12
I believe the outer diameter of the thinner tubing is 1/4", and the thicker one is 5/16". However, these are rough estimates, as they were leftover pieces that I've had for a while and just (luckily!) happened to be a perfect fit.

I like the thickness of the radio antenna: it makes it sturdy and old-fashioned at the same time. Plus, it's already been glued down, so I guess I'm too lazy to go fixing it now :)

I spent the night reading through all of the Space Hulk post, and the set really brings back fond memories of my childhood. Also, I spent some time making my Hardened Veterans Squad out of leftover heavy wep backpacks, old Stormtrooper packs, and some metal backpacks I've had laying around from a long OOP sci-fi trooper. The squad is gonna have 3 meltas and the Demolitions perk, so they needed lots of gubbins to really make 'em spiffy. I'm thinking I'll set up some sort of camo for them as well when I get around to painting them. I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

I also bit the bullet and sent away for a Baneblade, 4 chimeras, and 2 more Demolishers to round off the army with some mobile support. I also think some decals were in there as well...

~iPaint

Nice man! I need to get up the courage to finish up my force as well. I'm looking to getting 3 more Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ, 1 more demolisher, and a few more Krieg Infantry packs. (id like the option of using an infantry force in the 1000-1500 range when I dont feel like using all veterans.)

The veterans with the gubbins sound like they are gonna be hella sweet, I run a similar set up. The grenadier doctrine, demos, 3 meltas, and a powerfist are extremely expensive - but they do some serious WORK.

iPaint
19-08-2009, 21:27
Well, I finally was able to finish assembling all but one of my 70-odd infantry, the last being a melta-gunner in my Vet squad (since I only have 2 command packs and can't find a suitable melta in my bits), and they're all sprayed, ready for eventual painting.

I'm thinking once I have my tanks ready to go, I'll paint them in an Armageddon Steel Legion-esque camo, with perhaps a more yellow color instead of beige. Similar to the FW one here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/autochim1store.jpg

I need to head out to a local art store and dig around for some oil paints and powders so I have some stuff ready for weathering.

~iPaint

iPaint
21-08-2009, 02:25
Update incoming.

I finished the first 3 test models for my Veteran squad. Went with a grey/yellow/black Oak Leaf pattern, which I had perfected a few years ago when I painted some 15mm Germans. Good thing for me this pattern is much easier to reproduce the larger the model is.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard7.jpg

They seem sort of shiny here, and I think it is because I need to invest in a better dull coat spray. It's also evening here, so the lighting is rather poor, and I had to use the flash on the camera, so I think that may also be contributing.

Also received part one of my recent purchases, which includes some 50-odd IG tank accessories, 2 more Cadian decal sheets, and 3 (rather larger than I expected!) Baneblade decal sheets for my tanks.

Part 2 should arrive over the weekend, just in time for classes to start...

~iPaint

No-One
21-08-2009, 02:35
any chance of a tutorial or step-by-step for making that Leman Russ?

iPaint
21-08-2009, 02:45
any chance of a tutorial or step-by-step for making that Leman Russ?

I think once I have the new kit again I'll show everyone where to cut/move pieces around to get the basic shape, then a rough guide on what I did to plasticard everything.

I really didn't make any plans or templates that survived the process, as most of it was trial and error using 3x5 index cards cut to fit the rough shape I was looking for. Then, once I like what I saw, it was over to the plasticard to cut it out and slap some glue on it.

I don't think I'll be able to reproduce an exact copy of this one because several pieces were pulled off of an old, old Leman Russ kit (the one with the spiked dozer blade, long box hunter-killer missile) and those are incredibly tough to come by now.

However, I'll do my best once the new Demolishers I ordered come in.

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
21-08-2009, 11:50
I'd like a tutorial on painting that Oak Leaf pattern camo, please. Excellent stuff so far! :D

iPaint
22-08-2009, 22:44
Just a quick on-the-go update. Started spraying my Arnan Russ flat black when the can finally ran out. I guess 50-odd 'Nid gaunts, an Ork Battlewagon, some 75 Guardsmen, and 2/3 of my Russ is all it could take :)

I will go much lighter on any plastic cement in the future, as I now notice that the leftover pools will be somewhat visible underneath the spray. But boy, she's a beaut!

I've decided to use Tamiya Light Sand and German Grey sprays for my basecoats, and picked up a Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, and Lamp Black Daler Rowney oil paints and some thinner to really stain the crap outta my tanks. Also in the mix were 2 sets of Tamiya 1/48th Jerry Can sets. All at a nice 30% off from the local Hobby Lobby.

Oh, and I think a Standard Rust MIG pigment pot was in there too.

Out to the store to buy more spray!

~iPaint

iPaint
23-08-2009, 19:42
Well, got some paint on the Arnan Russ this morning. I need to practice a bit more with getting the spray pattern down, but I guess I'll have 8 more tanks to work on when they show up on Monday.

Pretty much just sprayed the whole thing flat black, then sprayed Tamiya German Grey over everything except the Gatling and plasma guns. Then, I went with stripes of Tamiya Light Sand over the hull, gun barrels, and turret.

Here's how it looks just basecoated with sprays, nothing else.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ24.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ25.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/russ26.jpg

I think once I get some drybrushing and oil washes onto it the whole piece will become much grittier and darker, and the contrast between the colors will fade.

cont...

iPaint
23-08-2009, 19:44
Also finished 3 of the 5 models for my Company Command squad, including the medic, Vet with plasmagun, and a vox-caster.

Here shown with the Platoon Commander:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard5-1.jpg

I still need to weather the end of the plasma pistol.

Details:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard6-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard7-1.jpg

~iPaint

Vepr
23-08-2009, 20:34
Love the tank.

Kriegfreak
24-08-2009, 06:39
Very pleased with what I'm seeing. Nice choice on the tank colors.

Col. Frost
24-08-2009, 16:55
Nice looking Russ variant.

BeatTheBeat
24-08-2009, 17:59
This is turning out really great! One of the more effective Russ conversions I've seen, kudos :)

iPaint
25-08-2009, 07:11
Thanks for the comments everyone. I received part two of my purchases today, in a box that weighed in at 10lbs. Buried in its depths were 3 Baneblade decal sheets, 4 Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ Demolishers, and a Baneblade to seal the deal.

I spent what time I had today between class and watching an amazing Rockies-Giants (crazy awesome) game to assemble the first Chimera. I'd been pampered on the new Russ tracks, and spent maybe half an hour test fitting one side to see the most effective way of assembling the tracks before finally gluing them down. Thankfully, the track guards cover 2/3 of the exposed upper tracks, so any mistakes can be rectified with them.

I debated what to slap on it, and decided that the codex entries had to be included, so on went the searchlight and smoke launchers. I also decided to glue the lasguns in place to avoid having the eventual "oh no, spray paint glued them down..." scenario. I added some equipment to the sides and top hatch, which I plan to rope down using either a medical guaze "net" or some thin string. I'm leaning towards the net at the moment.

I'll most likely continue work on assembling Chimeras this week, then maybe tackle the Baneblade this weekend. Keep an eye out for pics tomorrow.

Here's a tutorial for painting the camo on my Vets:

Basecoat black.
Paint blotches of light grey.
Paint blotches of yellow-tan (Dunkelgelb is a fitting color description for it).
Add yellow-tan dots to black and grey areas.
Add grey dots to black and yellow-tan areas.
Finish off with black dots over yellow-tan and grey areas.
Apply a black/brown thinned-wash to weather random areas.

Hope that helps.

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
25-08-2009, 08:25
mmm, I need pictures of the box with juicy GW boxes within to grasp the full awesomeness.

iPaint
26-08-2009, 21:53
So, 2 Chimeras was all I lasted before pulling out the Baneblade. I have assembled the right track/hull piece to about 60%, and I have to say, anyone with more than one must have spent a good amount of time with assembly. I'll have some pics up tonight.

~iPaint

GotTofu
26-08-2009, 22:51
Lol saw this lol and was like creepy :D

Why?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/218955

http://www.coolminiornot.com/229990

Started work a long time ago, my progress and talent is horribly slow and low.

I love your color scheme, and how your pictures seem to come out so crystal clear, I always seem to take dozens of pictures to get one half decent one.

I especially love your tank mods, been working on a couple but always give up and go the standard layout, haven't painted any yet haven't figured out how to create a good dark grey and blue worn look.

Considering the GW spray gun, or maybe an airbrush but worried about the time it would take.

Amazing work you got here looking forward to seeing more

p.s. I picked the 317th since it seemed easy to paint on, hate decals my clumsy fingers never can do them right. I plan to eventually order or get some custom ones made for squad markings on the other shoulder pad and didn't want to double my work

Uriain
27-08-2009, 05:10
great Looking stuff, Looking forward to more..

Subbed

iPaint
27-08-2009, 06:26
Pics as promised.

Chimera #1:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/chimera1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/chimera2.jpg

Chimera #2
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/chimera3.jpg

cont...

iPaint
27-08-2009, 06:27
Baneblade in progress:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane1.jpg

Commanders:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/banecrew2.jpg

Comparison with Arnan Russ:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane_russ_comp1.jpg

~iPaint

GotTofu
27-08-2009, 06:46
Very nice can't wait to see those tanks painted.

Btw is the Chimera the only IG vehicle that still comes with tread guards?

I may have to try your method to create tread guards since I think they look so cool on a vehicle.

That or worry about buying several chimera before they update them as well and get rid of the guards.

iPaint
27-08-2009, 17:56
Very nice can't wait to see those tanks painted.

Btw is the Chimera the only IG vehicle that still comes with tread guards?

I may have to try your method to create tread guards since I think they look so cool on a vehicle.

That or worry about buying several chimera before they update them as well and get rid of the guards.

I think only the newer tanks are without the vehicle accessory sprue, so the Hellhound and Demolisher. Other than that the sets come with track guards.

iPaint
29-08-2009, 00:33
Time for another update.

Got some paint on the 3 smaller tanks, as they'll be my test vehicles. After a light, light drybrush of white, I used a piece of foam from a blister pack and dabbed it into some dark grey paint that is almost a perfect match of the Tamiya spray. It has some more blue in it though, but not enough to notice after weathering. Dab here, dab there, and we immediately have a worn-out looking tank.

I then decided to go for some deep rust effects to start off. I am really liking the oil paints I picked up. I did a quick wash of about 2 parts Raw Sienna, 1 part Black, and 5 parts mineral spirits in a small container. I then applied this mix randomly to the tanks, and let it sit for about 30 seconds. I then took pure spirits and washed the drying mix around some, to smooth out the weathering. So far, I like how it has dried. Next up will be a gloss spray and decals, along with any details that will be weathered, such as eagles, handles, etc. Then, it will be a black pin wash, then a thorough wash using Burnt Umber. At least, that's the current plan.

Pics:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_russ1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_chimera1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_chimera2.jpg

And I finished assembling the Baneblade as well. He'll get a spray tonight once everything is dry.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane2.jpg

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
29-08-2009, 08:40
Man, looking really good. Starting to get inspired over here with ideas of my own.

Crube
29-08-2009, 17:08
Thread moved to Imperial Project Logs

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

iPaint
29-08-2009, 22:15
More updates. Decalled, pin washed and umber washed, sorta wet still.

Chimeras:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_chimera4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_chimera3.jpg

cont...

iPaint
29-08-2009, 22:18
Leman Russ:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_russ4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_russ3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/paint_russ2.jpg

I think I'll hit them with a light drybrush to bring out some detail again, then move on to the tracks/stowage/etc.

~iPaint

BrotherAtrox
30-08-2009, 00:44
Really enjoy looking at your stuff man.

Got anymore conversion plans?

Explodingboy
30-08-2009, 10:13
tanks are looking really good, the new back end on the vanquisher blends in nicely with the plastic kit.

donuter
30-08-2009, 13:53
tis a pretty log. I love the heads, really nice work

iPaint
01-09-2009, 07:12
Thanks for the kinds words all, here's an update on the Baneblade.

Commander Anstrev Murdoch's Super-Heavy Baneblade, Battle Tank No. 1, 2nd Squadron, 77th Arnan Super-Heavy Tank Company, attached to 3rd Arnan Armored Regiment, Arnan 4th Army. Currently providing support to the 317th Arnan Infantry Regiment.

If I gather funds for any more Super-heavies, I'll probably decal them similar to this one, each with the commander's name on the side to denote his honor of commanding a super-heavy. Only thing is it's tough with the limited letters that come on the IG tank decal sheet. I'll make due though.

On to pics. I've sprayed, decaled, and added paint weathering to it so far, in a somewhat different order to my test tanks. Next steps will be the rust-red wash, the black pinwash, then the thinned brown wash, then the final drybrush. I skipped the 1st drybrush stage as it was impossible to tell that I'd done it once the oil paints went on, so that's one less step to do. Damn, I have a lot of rivets to pinwash...

Overhead shots:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane4.jpg

I have left the sponsons loose so I can paint the heavy bolters separate without messing them up too much, and I wanted a nice clean black gunmetal gun shield to cover them, so none of that has been glued yet.

Details of the tank markings:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane_detail.jpg

Markings in order from bottom left, counter-clockwise:

Campaign Confirmed Kill Markings - 1 Heavy, 2 Medium, 6 Light
2nd Squadron, 1st Tank
Arnan 3rd Armored Regiment
Arnan 4th Army
77th Tank Co.
Commander's Honors
Homeworld

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
01-09-2009, 07:33
Nice man, I need to get an airbrush!

iPaint
01-09-2009, 07:55
It's just Tamiya spray cans, done at about a foot away, sometimes closer. Quick controlled sprays to avoid pooling of the paint. I am getting better at it. But yes, an airbrush would be awesome.

Kriegfreak
01-09-2009, 08:59
It's just Tamiya spray cans, done at about a foot away, sometimes closer. Quick controlled sprays to avoid pooling of the paint. I am getting better at it. But yes, an airbrush would be awesome.

I stand corrected, well if the effect was achieved with just spray cans then kudos to you man, it looks really good.

folnjir
01-09-2009, 13:39
Fantastic paint work on those tanks.

tcraigen
01-09-2009, 19:59
fantastic tanks, Im very impressed. Your weathering and squad markings look stunning

magriller
02-09-2009, 09:13
Loving your work. The weathering on the tanks is something very special.

Keep it up and I look forward to your updates

magriller

iPaint
03-09-2009, 17:44
Another update on the Baneblade. Progress is slow but it's coming along nonetheless. Pinwashed, brownwashed, and drybrushed so far. Started blocking in the black on some of the non-camo pieces.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane7.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/bane_detail2.jpg

~iPaint

hur@n
03-09-2009, 21:15
I love your work it is very good job

Damocles8
04-09-2009, 03:18
Fantastic work...I was wondering how the Pig Iron heads looked on Cadians and you just sold 2 big kits for them

synapse
06-09-2009, 06:53
the conversion on that leman russ is superb. very well done. youd think its a n origional model. great stuff

T_55
06-09-2009, 07:32
Your tanks are some of the coolest tanks i have ever seen. Well done!

Can't wait to see the baneblade done.

Kriegfreak
06-09-2009, 11:20
the conversion on that leman russ is superb. very well done. youd think its a n origional model. great stuff

I wish it was, it looks way better than the GW one.

Shas'o Brightsword
07-09-2009, 03:10
Ok those heads are AWESOME! I am positive they are goin on my vets and storm troopers there great! good work and thanks!

Cane
10-09-2009, 18:14
Thanks for sharing your army OP; I especially love that Leman Russ variant - its probably the best conversion work I've seen for one yet.

Would also love a tutorial; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all :chrome:

natner
10-09-2009, 21:46
Great army, love the colors, the use of Pig Iron heads, and the tanks are just awesome. Also, really got to say I am loving the veterans with the Oak Leaf camo, they look superb!

primarch16
11-09-2009, 03:10
I'm in love with the tank painting, it looks very uniformed. The pig iron heads are also brilliant.

God LFC
11-09-2009, 20:31
you could easily turn that russ into a machrius

iPaint
12-09-2009, 00:28
Quick update. Thanks again for all the comments.

2 Chimeras and 2 Russes, sprayed, decalled, and rust washed. Also worked a bit on blacking in some parts on one of the Chimeras. Also, did some track work.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/tanks1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/tanks3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/tanks2.jpg

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
12-09-2009, 07:04
sexy stuff dude

hemogoblin
12-09-2009, 11:06
Great selection of tanks. Love the command tank conversion. And stunning weathering

Hammer49
12-09-2009, 11:31
Excellent infantry models, and the tanks are fantastic. The army is going to look great when finished.

Eriekiels
12-09-2009, 13:29
That Russ just looks astoning.. i might do one myself but as a demolisher, really nice work man

The peinting on those is rly nice too, beautiful log i must say

iPaint
19-09-2009, 02:28
Small update. I picked up another Demolisher, and it is ready to be sprayed to finish off the 1st Sqdrn of the 12 Arnan Tank Company. No pics, but just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I'm still here and slowly working on the army. I need to order a few tank track guards and a few more radios to finish off the Russes.

~iPaint

T_55
19-09-2009, 08:10
So many tanks....

Great work iPaint, looking forwards to seeing the demolisher, is it the new GW demolisher or a forgeworld demolisher?

Actually are your leman russes demolisher conversions? I just noticed that they look similar.

iPaint
19-09-2009, 18:59
Yes, all 4 Russes are the new Demolisher kit, which I prefer over the regular Russ kits bar the fact that they don't come with the tank accessory sprue. I am using plastic tubing to create the battle cannons, and adding reinforcement to the front of the hull. I can run pretty much any variant of the Russ except 2 of them. I need to figure out how to create twin-linked autocannons for the Exterminator and the Eradicator gun, which I have one of from the Baneblade.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be using the 1st squadron as Vanquisher variants, and the next batch of Russes I'll be modding them to allow for removable sponsons. I'm thinking that adding some metal plates to the outside of the sides will allow me to place magnets inside the sponson assemblies, which will let me add/remove them at will.

I've also thought that I went too far with the Chimeras: I may end up hacking the weapons off and re-assembling them to allow for magnetic swapping. I've heard hull flamers are the big thing. Plus, it allows for flexibility, which I like having. I need to find something to use as a turret flamer, though.

Shas'o Brightsword
20-09-2009, 05:05
hull HF are awesome very versatile i love them.

dood515
20-09-2009, 13:35
I really love that russ variant, it reminds me of one (or more) of the forgeworld tanks, it's a very believable guard tank.

iPaint
29-10-2009, 21:28
Well, over a month since my last update. Yikes.

I have finalized an army list centered around a strong core of Melta-Vets in Chimeras and several supporting tanks.

HQ:
Company Command Squad
4x Flamers
Chimera w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Troops:
Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns
Demolitions

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns
Demolitions

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Platoon Command Squad
1x Autocannon
2x Grenade Launchers
Infantry Platoon
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher
Infantry Platoon
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack:
Hellhound w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ w/ Hull Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Total: 1750 pts
10 tanks, 70 infantry

I'm in the process of painting one of the infantry squads right now, just need to highlight the armor and paint their boots. Then weather 'em up a bit and decal/base.

~iPaint

Konstantine
29-10-2009, 22:31
Pig Iron heads on Cadian models... Hmm CHEAP STEEL LEGIONS LOVE IT.
Consider your idea stolen mate.

-Calvin

iPaint
04-11-2009, 05:43
Here's an army shot update:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard_army1.jpg

Working bottom left, counter clockwise.

- Company Command Chimera - bare bones in this pic, but I have added a turret commander and all the details since this pic was taken a few hours ago. The commander has the map hand from the Cadian Command Squad sprue. Hull heavy flamer not assembled as of yet, as I'm not sure if I want to bother magnetizing them or just gluing them down permanently. Not sure how I want to number it yet, but I'd like to include a skull somewhere in there to denote it as a Command Tank.
- Company Command Squad - CO, 4 Vets w/ Plasmaguns. I need to build the other 3.
- Platoon Command Squad - PL, 4 guardsmen w/ Flamers. The PL will receive a Laspistol eventually to replace the Plasma Pistol he currently has equipped.
- 3 Infantry Squads - 1 Autocannon team, 1 Grenade Launcher in each. The painted squad needs its GL member built and its AC painted.
- 3 Leman Russ Battle Tanks - front one built as a Demolisher/HF, the back two build as MBTs/LC. Eventually I will have all the Demolisher kit pieces assembled and painted to allow for maximum flexibility. Numbered 11 to 13.
- 4 Veteran Squads - 3 Meltaguns in each. The guns themselves are under the plastic bag by the Russes. 15 of 'em to be exact. Melta-goodness. Camouflage consists of a Pea Dot pattern of black, light grey, and dessert yellow to blend with the basing. I need about 14 more guardsmen to build my missing special wep troopers, of which 9 will be Melta Vets.
- 4 Veteran Chimeras - Again, hull flamers left off. They all had Heavy Bolters before I realized that I should have left them all off to magnetize them. Now I have to figure out how to get some sort of magnet to work on them and the Command Chimera. The diamonds on top of the track guards denote the squads inside as having Veteran status, and they are numbered 030 to 033.

I need to get another Cadian Shock Troops and Command box, and 2 Hellhounds to finish everything up. Anyone know of a good 25mm company for backpacks? Pig Iron's are nice and varied, but sort of lack the GW detail. I also have a bunch of old 2nd ed. plastic Storm Trooper packs I may use.

Here's a close up of the painted Infantry squad in regulation uniform grey. I will get the Autocannon painted eventually. I am not too sure on the brown around the base yet. I may go for a more chocolate brown to lessen the contrast. Lighting is a bit on the yellow side.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard_squad1_1.jpg

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
04-11-2009, 09:53
I like the static grass and color of the ground, but I think a darker more chocolate brown as you said before might work best. I use Bestial Brown for my own, never disliked the result. The touches of weathering stand out pretty nicely to.

lukebardy
17-11-2009, 21:55
nice thread keep it up

titan136
17-11-2009, 23:56
I really like the mixing of the helmet colors on the infantry. your tanks are beauties too, nice weathering technique

iPaint
18-11-2009, 05:51
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Bit of an update here.

Here's what I've been up to in the last week or so. Started test work on one of the Russes to see what all the extra stowage/fuel drums/tracks will look like, and here's where I am on that so far:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/demolisher1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/demolisher2.jpg

I have painted the fuel drums, blanket rolls/backpacks, exhaust pipes, tracks, and view ports. Still to be done is the search light, then MIG pigments on the tracks, exhaust, and engine block as needed. Mud will be the last thing to go on, being a mix of glue, oil paints, and this awesome paper mache-like clay stuff that hardens with water.

Here's a close up of the tank's commander and cupola view ports:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/demolisher_cmdr1.jpg

cont...

iPaint
18-11-2009, 05:55
I have also worked on getting some paint onto my Command Squad's Chimera, shown here:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/cmd_chim1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/cmd_chim2.jpg

A few detail shots, this time of the Arnan homeworld designation for command vehicles, and the tank's commander, holding a map from the Cadian Command sprue.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/cmd_chim_detail1.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/cmd_chim_detail2.jpg

cont...

iPaint
18-11-2009, 06:03
And finally, an updated army shot, with all models there except for 2 Hounds and the rest of the CCS:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/army_shot1-1.jpg

I picked up another box of Cadians to finish off the last few infantry models I needed, including 9 melta Vets and an infantry squad Sgt. Now I just need to place an order for 2 Hellhounds and a final Command Squad to finish my last Vet w/ Melta and get the final 3 plasma gunners done for the CCS, and the 1850pt list will be done.

I used all of the leftover grenade launcher arms I had saved, and removed the weapon from the right arm. I then clipped the handle off the meltaguns I had bitz ordered and glued everything down. All in all, it matches up quite well with the melta arms in the Cadian Command box, bar the little details on the right shoulder armor, which doesn't bother me one bit.

I may get a pack or 2 of the Maxmini backpacks, which would go on my Vets, since I like the detail on the pics on their site, and for about $8 for 10 packs plus some extra goodies that's not a bad deal.

Future updates will probably be a finished, re-based Infantry Squad, with a Vet squad close behind. Also maybe one of the Russes with everything done.

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
18-11-2009, 06:17
Lovely detail on the weathering. Your tanks are freaking amazing dude. I like the black-outfit of the tank commander.

iPaint
26-11-2009, 05:41
Painting update. 3 more Vets done. Also made progress on spraying the remaining Metla vets and the autocannons for the infantry squads.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/vets1.jpg

And a comparison shot with a standard Arnan Field Grey uniform.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/vet_guard_comp2.jpg

Also, because a few people sent me questions regarding the GL -> Melta conversion, here is a pic of the finished product. Hard to tell once you get some paint on it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/melta1.jpg

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
26-11-2009, 05:52
Heck yeah dude! Love the entire look. Wish I had some pictures of my own force, they would mesh together extremely well. I think the added camo makes the paint scheme even better. The lasguns are quite clean looking as well, nice highlighting on those.

iPaint
05-12-2009, 00:53
Well, I must say, there are some cool things about the new Hellhound kit that I love, and some things that I think GW could have done better.

First off, the pros:

- Excellent details, especially on the piping that comes out of the fuel tanks in the rear.
- Love the options. 3-in-1 kits should be more commonplace.
- Size. It fits in nicely with the older Chimera kit.
- Relatively easy assembly. There were a few hangups, but nothing serious.

Now, what I dislike:

- Inferno Cannon is really loose, and I have yet found a way to remedy this.
- Removing the pieces from the frames, especially the side tracks, was a royal pain. Several pieces are attached to the frame by solid sprue, not the narrower kind we are used to and that is easier to cut and clean.
- Turret armor plates, while cool, I think were a bit too much, and had very little in the way of support for gluing.
- As already mentioned, GW could have easily tossed in the accesory sprue in the last 2 tank kits while maintaining the same price. Looking at how many sprues are required for a Chimera, I found it hard to believe GW couldn't have just given us the accessory sprue...Oh well, thankfully we have bits stores.

That said, it is a vastly superior kit when compared to the old one. I'll have to pick up a second one to finish off the pair I have in my current army list. I'll also need to pick up some track guards, and figure out where I can place a radio/comm unit on the tank.

On the painting front, I have started the last 5 figs needed to round off the 2 squads already shown in this log. 4 vets and 1 grunt with grenade launcher are on the paint line, and I must say, the vets with helmet covers will be sweet once they are finished.

~iPaint

Kriegfreak
05-12-2009, 01:21
Good summary of the hellhound kit, which is basically the same in terms of pros/cons with the new tank kit. The lack of accessory sprue was uncalled for imo, still pretty bitter about it! Looking forward to the new vets :)

donuter
05-12-2009, 09:19
Be that Vet scheme borrowed from a certain sheep?

iPaint
07-12-2009, 04:30
Be that Vet scheme borrowed from a certain sheep?

Hehe, somewhat. Both Sheep's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59410&page=48) and my camo are derived from the German camo patterns used in WWII. That said, Sheep's camo is simply gorgeous to look at, and if I were to place any credit for my inspiration, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't spent hours just drooling over his DKoK pics.

~iPaint

BowlingShirtJerk
07-12-2009, 06:13
God those tanks are great. Hate to be a bother but could you compile all the steps to your technique (paint and weathering)?

What I'm seeing is regular paint, dry brush white (why?), 'foam weathering', pigments (from MIG), then...

How do you get those beautiful streaks? The extremely gradual color shift in camo? The extreme shading (chipping, washing) around the imperial eagle and other details?

Thanks!

iPaint
07-12-2009, 19:33
God those tanks are great. Hate to be a bother but could you compile all the steps to your technique (paint and weathering)?

What I'm seeing is regular paint, dry brush white (why?), 'foam weathering', pigments (from MIG), then...

How do you get those beautiful streaks? The extremely gradual color shift in camo? The extreme shading (chipping, washing) around the imperial eagle and other details?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments. Here's a quick rundown of what I do for my tanks.

1) Assemble the tank. I am going to start leaving stowage off any of my future tanks because it makes painting everything easier when they're separate.

2) Spray black. I tend to spray from a little over a foot and a half to two feet away. This allows for an even, light covering. I spray one side, the top, then the other side in 3 sprays. Once everything is dry (typically an hour for safe measure) I flip the tank over and spray the undersides that were missed on the first round of spraying. Let dry.

3) I then use Tamiya German Grey spray and give the whole tank an even covering. Let dry. Spray any areas that were missed on the first spray. Let dry.

4) Next, I decide where I want the camo pattern to fall across the tank. For my Chimeras, I wanted to use white decals a lot, so I decided for two bands of Tamiya Light Sand. If you split the tank into 4 sections width-wise, I chose one band at the rear of the tank, and one near the front middle. Essentially, this means I have one grey band at the front, then a yellow, then a grey, and finally a yellow at the rear of the tank.

5) I spray the Light Sand from one side of the tank to the other, keeping about a foot away. I tend to give a few quick sprays on a piece of old cardboard to ensure that the pigment has been mixed well. Spray, spray spray, and then let it all dry. I spray the turrets separate from the hull, and any loose weapons are kept black.

6) Once everything has had a good amount of time to dry, I then give everything a coat of gloss spray. This allows decals to set smoothly.

7) Decals. I use Micro Set and Micro Sol. Plenty of tutorials online on how best to decal models.

8) Paint chipping. I have opted to forgo the extra step of "real life" paint chipping, which is done to perfection here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124734)in Ash's log. My process involves using Folk Art Charcoal Grey and a piece of blister pack foam. I dip the foam into the paint and then dab it where the paint would chip in real life. Edges, hand rails, on the turret and hatches, etc. I try to get a little bit of chipping on the decals as well to suggest they've been worn down some.

9) I then use a Raw Sienna oil paint and some odorless mineral spirits, and mix the two in a 1:3 mix of paint to thinner. I then apply this to the nooks and crannies of the tank, and some other select spots, including the bottom of tracks, a few rivets, and the hand rails. Let it dry for a good hour.

10) Next I apply a pin wash of Black oil paint thinned to a 1:2 mixture paint to thinner. I use a small brush, and apply this wash to all the rivets, handles, and iconography, starting from left to right so my hand doesn't mess up any of the painting I've already done. Let dry.

11) Finally, the last bit of oil washing I do is a wash of 1:4 of Burnt Umber to thinner. This is applied over the entirety if the tank. Let dry.

12) I then dry brush white over the whole tank, making sure it is a light covering, so very little paint on the brush. The larger the brush, the better.

13) For streaking and detailing, I have used a mix of Black and Burnt Umber in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio thinned with a bit of mineral spirits, and then streaked this down from rivets to get a greasy, oily look.

14) Any further weathering is a combination of 1 or more of the oil paints applied in a method that recreates rust, mud, or weathering.

And that's all she wrote. That's the process I have used so far. I may go back and apply Ash's method of paint chipping at a later stage, but for now this will work.

Hope that helps. I may add some paint in progress pics when I start my Hellhounds.

~iPaint

BowlingShirtJerk
07-12-2009, 22:48
Haha. Thanks for the write up. Quite a process! I honestly haven't strayed much from GW & Vallejo paints and washes so your methods are lightyears away from mine (with the paint thinning etc.)

I can't help but admire, and copy the gritty realism you've captured in your tanks. Truth be told I prefer your method to Ash's aesthetically. Great job (and your toy soldiers aren't bad to boot)! Would love to see PiP shots of your Hounds.

iPaint
15-12-2009, 05:13
Small update. Finals week is almost over for me, and with that I'll be able to devote some more time to painting over the holiday break. With that, here's a PIP shot of some melta Vets and a Grenade Launcher guardsman.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vets1-1.jpg

Also, I have started painting some 'Nids (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235088), so if that tickles your fancy, be sure to take a look.

~iPaint

Hushrong
15-12-2009, 05:50
i love that paint job you have on your vets. it reminds me of the bundeswehr.

iPaint
15-12-2009, 22:50
More painting this afternoon. Guardsmen almost finished, just have a few details left. Spent a good hour or so on this bad boy though.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Standard1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Standard2.jpg

Though not included in my army list, any self-respecting Imperial Guard Regiment needs regimental colors. The thought of cramming seven roman numerals onto the skull was rather daunting at first, but I nailed in one try. Ironically, the numeric "317" on the other skull went through three different variations.

~iPaint

iPaint
16-12-2009, 07:34
Update on the army list:

HQ:
Company Command Squad
4x Plasma Guns

Troops:
Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers
Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher
Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher
Infantry Squad
1x Autocannon
1x Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack:
Bane Wolf w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull Hvy Flamer

Total: 1850 pts
10 tanks, 80 infantry

Also, be on the lookout for pics of the first 2 completed squads tomorrow. I'll be done with finals, and will kick it into overdrive for this army.

~iPaint

Vaktathi
16-12-2009, 10:25
The spotted camo is solid awesome, I'm jonesing all over that, your army looks great :D

darkangel77700
16-12-2009, 11:41
your spotted camo is excellent ! Did you use the same colors than for your veterans ? And with what do you do it ?
I love this log.

iPaint
16-12-2009, 17:21
your spotted camo is excellent ! Did you use the same colors than for your veterans ? And with what do you do it ?
I love this log.

Yes, it is the same camo pattern and colors as my finished Vets, simply photographed in a different light without any sealant.

From earlier in the log:

Here's a tutorial for painting the camo on my Vets:

Basecoat black.
Paint blotches of light grey (I think I use Folk Art Pewter Grey, on campus right now so I am not positive).
Paint blotches of yellow-tan (Dunkelgelb is a fitting color description for it).
Add yellow-tan dots to black and grey areas.
Add grey dots to black and yellow-tan areas.
Finish off with black dots over yellow-tan and grey areas.
Apply a black/brown thinned-wash to weather random areas.

Thanks everyone on the kind comments. I'll have more to post this afternoon once I finish my last exam.

~iPaint

Commander Zane
16-12-2009, 17:25
loving the leman russ and colour scheme cant wait to see more

Hushrong
16-12-2009, 17:26
these are excellent so please keep it coming.

iPaint
17-12-2009, 00:49
Guess what?

That's right, pictures! I present my first 2 complete infantry squads, one regular line Infantry Squad, and the other a Veteran squad.

Enjoy.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Infantry1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vets3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vets2.jpg

cont...

iPaint
17-12-2009, 00:51
And some close up shots:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vet1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Standard3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Standard4.jpg

Keep an eye out for Hellhound updates throughout the evening, as I will be re-posting my tank painting tutorial with pictures.

~iPaint

iPaint
17-12-2009, 04:48
Here's some PiP pics of the Hellhound, up through step 7 of the guide previously posted.

1) Assemble the tank. I am going to start leaving stowage off any of my future tanks because it makes painting everything easier when they're separate.

2) Spray black. I tend to spray from a little over a foot and a half to two feet away. This allows for an even, light covering. I spray one side, the top, then the other side in 3 sprays. Once everything is dry (typically an hour for safe measure) I flip the tank over and spray the undersides that were missed on the first round of spraying. Let dry.

3) I then use Tamiya German Grey spray and give the whole tank an even covering. Let dry. Spray any areas that were missed on the first spray. Let dry.

4) Next, I decide where I want the camo pattern to fall across the tank. For my Chimeras, I wanted to use white decals a lot, so I decided for two bands of Tamiya Light Sand. If you split the tank into 4 sections width-wise, I chose one band at the rear of the tank, and one near the front middle. Essentially, this means I have one grey band at the front, then a yellow, then a grey, and finally a yellow at the rear of the tank.

5) I spray the Light Sand from one side of the tank to the other, keeping about a foot away. I tend to give a few quick sprays on a piece of old cardboard to ensure that the pigment has been mixed well. Spray, spray spray, and then let it all dry. I spray the turrets separate from the hull, and any loose weapons are kept black.

6) Once everything has had a good amount of time to dry, I then give everything a coat of gloss spray. This allows decals to set smoothly.

7) Decals. I use Micro Set and Micro Sol. Plenty of tutorials online on how best to decal models.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound2.jpg

You can see some splatters in the above pic. This is a good opportunity to do some heavy weathering to cover any sort of "mistakes" you might make (not that it's necessarily a mistake, just kind of unsightly and obvious).

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound4.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

~iPaint

iPaint
17-12-2009, 21:42
8) Paint chipping. I have opted to forgo the extra step of "real life" paint chipping, which is done to perfection here in Ash's log. My process involves using Folk Art Charcoal Grey and a piece of blister pack foam. I dip the foam into the paint and then dab it where the paint would chip in real life. Edges, hand rails, on the turret and hatches, etc. I try to get a little bit of chipping on the decals as well to suggest they've been worn down some.

9) I then use a Raw Sienna oil paint and some odorless mineral spirits, and mix the two in a 1:3 mix of paint to thinner. I then apply this to the nooks and crannies of the tank, and some other select spots, including the bottom of tracks, a few rivets, and the hand rails. Let it dry for a good hour.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound6.jpg

Also, I've been working on finishing up the Leman Russ from earlier, specifically tracks and rust effects.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Russ1-1.jpg

Once it's all dry, I'll get some matte spray on it and work on some MIG pigments (woot!).

~iPaint

iPaint
18-12-2009, 06:10
10) Next I apply a pin wash of Black oil paint thinned to a 1:2 mixture paint to thinner. I use a small brush, and apply this wash to all the rivets, handles, and iconography, starting from left to right so my hand doesn't mess up any of the painting I've already done. Let dry.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound7.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound8.jpg

11) Finally, the last bit of oil washing I do is a wash of 1:4 of Burnt Umber to thinner. This is applied over the entirety if the tank. Let dry.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound9.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Hellhound10.jpg

~iPaint

sheep
18-12-2009, 06:31
Awesome log mate, i really like this army :)

Cheers

Sheep

iPaint
18-12-2009, 21:43
All finished except for mud effects.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Russ2-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Russ3-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Russ4-1.jpg

~iPaint

Commander Zane
19-12-2009, 01:05
the tank and guardsmen are looking great, keep up the good work

sheep
19-12-2009, 06:27
Awesome work mate, as i said before i really like this army :)

Cheers

Sheep

Konstantine
19-12-2009, 06:43
I love that standard bearer seriously. Its beautiful. You know, Ipaint, you inspired my 5TH Mobile Army (:

-Calvin

iPaint
21-12-2009, 00:41
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I recently removed the camo netting roll because (doh!) it interferes with side sponsons, which I have purposely left off in order to magnetize at a later date.

I may use this large roll on the Baneblade, and make some smaller ones for the smaller tanks, or place the roll on top of the side sponsons.

In other news, I have been saving my moola for some Mortian Heavy Tanks, and may have an order placed by the new year. They are incredibly expensive, but seeing several (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214943) finished (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3654311&postcount=1667) examples (http://pickadamnarmy.blogspot.com/2009/07/painted-blood-pact-tank-6.html), I think they're well worth the price tag.

~iPaint

LordMoriar
21-12-2009, 20:53
Ive seen this log several times, but cant remember if ive ever replied. Great scheme, lovely paint job and weathering. I especially enjoy the waffen-ss (or panzergrenadier if that sounds better) inspired camo jackets. Brilliant!

T_55
22-12-2009, 07:46
I really enjoy the look of your tanks! They look simply amazing, especially with the weathering and dirt. Well done.

gonzosbignose
22-12-2009, 09:26
iPaint

May I just say thank you for your tutorial on how you paint your tanks.

Its extremely well explained and picks up on a number of points that I'm sure alot of us either didn't know or have never quite grasped.

I for one have learn't alot and will definitely try out the technique.

As always, your stuff is looking breath taking.

Regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

Magos Errant
22-12-2009, 20:19
Excellent job on the tanks, and infantry, IPaint!

iPaint
22-12-2009, 21:26
Small update, this time the near-finished Leman Russ. Pictured here with a Vanquisher Cannon and mud effects. I need to finish cleaning the spot where I removed the camo net roll (the big patch of gray paint where the sponson would be on the second pic) and paint the straps on the barrel on the back.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vanq1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vanq2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vanq3.jpg

cont...

iPaint
22-12-2009, 21:29
Also, to show the modularity of the new turret:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Turrets1.jpg

That's a Demolisher, Vanquisher v2, Battle Cannon, and Vanquisher v1, all from the new kit and some plasticard.

I like the length of the Vanq v1, but the extra recoil effect from the Vanq v2 is nice, but really long. It looks better and more to scale on the Arnan Russ.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Vanq_mod2.jpg

~iPaint

donuter
22-12-2009, 21:50
Very pretty. you made the army i wanted when i used pig iron heads. you crushed me dude.i give up

iPaint
26-12-2009, 14:29
So, small update on the log here. I was fortunate enough to find an old late '90's Chimera on eBay that had the old tank accessory sprue with it, and for a good price.

What this means? Chances are good that there may be a second Arnan Russ with a tutorial in the future. Still not quite there on funds for the Mortians, as I'd like to get three in one go to save on shipping.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

~iPaint

iPaint
27-12-2009, 06:52
Painting update:

2 Chimeras, prepped for a gloss spray, oil wash, matte spray, then pigments and dullcoat to seal it all.

I will be adding some gauze to act as cargo netting over the equipment on the rear hatches.

I also need to paint the hull heavy flamers.

Here's some pics:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chimeras1.jpg

cont...

iPaint
27-12-2009, 06:53
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim4.jpg

Also, I am patiently waiting for the Wargames Factory greatcoats (http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2009/10/28/greatcoats-102809/)to be finished up.

~iPaint

Ariobarzanes
27-12-2009, 22:41
"THE" mythical greatcoats... Im waiting the too (and preordered some 20 spues of it and of modern soviets :))

Your chimeras ares just plain fantastic.

By the way; are planing to paint some valks??

iPaint
27-12-2009, 22:56
As of now, no, no Valks are scheduled. Eventually, maybe, but for the foreseeable future it's gonna be strictly tanks and infantry.

I need to figure out shipping costs for Mort's tanks, since that may delay their purchase another few weeks. I've read that each tank comes in it's own box, and since I will most likely buy three of them, that may be a hefty shipping charge.

Where is WGF taking pre-orders for the greatcoats?

~iPaint

The_Dark_Raven
28-12-2009, 01:18
You have a wonderful way of producing the age of a tank and they colours used are really nice. I am in love with the detail you have put into the tanks, amazing stuff!

Ostling
28-12-2009, 03:52
I really like where this log is going, keep it up!

Greetings,
Ostling

iPaint
28-12-2009, 06:27
Finally, after fiddling with wet gauze for about 20 minutes, the 2 Chimeras from earlier are finished except for a few small details. These include the targeter on the Multi-laser and some drybrushing on the cargo nets once they're dry.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chimeras2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Chim5.jpg

~iPaint

Hammer49
28-12-2009, 10:55
Your chimeras are fantastic. Great work!

TomG
28-12-2009, 13:40
Nice weathering, but drilling barrels will help to look better.

The_Dark_Raven
28-12-2009, 23:52
Another nice production, the detail is great stuff on these tanks. I especially like how the side ladder is muddy and that leads into the tank as if the guys piling in tracked mud through it.

Really nice stuff.

MrP
29-12-2009, 00:44
Very nice work on these, old boy!

Stempe
29-12-2009, 11:57
Astonishing minis! Too bad I just discovered them now.

iPaint
29-12-2009, 22:08
Nice weathering, but drilling barrels will help to look better.

Yeah, I need to find a small enough pin vice to get into the ML and flamer barrels. Also, my GLs need to be drilled.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, it helps keep me motivated.

On the paint table right now is the Company Commander, 4 Guardsmen with Flamers from the PCS, 2 Guardsmen w/ lasguns, 1 w/ GL, and 1 Sgt. All of their fatigues have been basecoated. I am going to try batch painting in larger quantities than 3-4 to get more of them done in one go. I also think it will speed up painting the small details, as it will cut down the amount of switching paint I need to do.

~iPaint

BeatTheBeat
30-12-2009, 10:53
Huge improvements since the beginning of your log! Lovely tanks here, can't wait to see you get your hands on the mort tanks :)

Cheers,

BTB

iPaint
01-01-2010, 07:55
Well, small update for the new year. I received the Chimera I had ordered. Apart from a shoddy assembly of the tracks, everything was accounted for, including the old, late '90's accessory sprue which will be cannibalized for a new Arnan Russ. And there will be a tutorial this time.

I was able to remove most of tracks from the hull, but I will need to resort to drastic measures to get the last of it off. I remember reading somewhere that freezing the model will weaken the glue? Maybe I'll need to do some research on that.

Hope everyone had a happy new year.

EDIT: Revamped the first post to be helpful for first-timers to the log and to provide a table of contents for things I think may interest people (or not, up to you :) ).

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
05-01-2010, 21:30
Stunning. Simply stunning.

Kriegfreak
07-01-2010, 01:55
Nice stuff man, I'm digging the baggage netted down on the back of that Chimera.

iPaint
16-01-2010, 04:24
Thanks again everyone for the comments. Look for an update sometime later this week with pics. As of now, I've been on vacation and away from the paint table.

On a different note, the Wargames Factory greatcoats (http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2010/01/13/greatcoat-updates-11310/)are starting to finally come together, and I must say, I may end up using them as my Vets.

Or renegade guard...hmm....

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2010, 09:27
I'd use them as Renegade Guard personally.

EmMeTt
18-01-2010, 13:58
The tanks look great, I especially love the weathering! You make me want to finish the army I started with Pig Iron heads :(

gonzosbignose
18-01-2010, 15:19
Hi iPaint.

Well havent you produced some incredible tanks there.

The general paint job and weathering itself is truely remarkable. The muddly areas and the chips is ideal. But its the little details which take it to the top notch as far as i am concerned.

The vision ports, the search light, the stowage... just all excellent.

Love it love it love it

regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

Rhaivaen
18-01-2010, 18:25
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/guard4.jpg

I decide for an ash waste basing scheme, since the mud effects I was going for looked too much like frosting on a cake. I like what resulted.

~iPaint

Very nice to see other people use those heads to, as am I, my scheme is nearly identical to this one, I have been at it for about 4-5 months now, only just now did I find your log :rolleyes:

I was myself debating what colours to use for the boots, black is logical, but...

Edit: Voted and subscribed!

tancrede
18-01-2010, 18:54
I didn't know if I said this to you : your IG army is one of the best I've ever seen.
The german camo on the troops is awesome, but your tanks are really stunning !!

iPaint
19-01-2010, 05:34
Good news, everyone! I picked up another Demolisher kit today, and guess what that means? That's right, there will be an Arnan Russ tutorial in the works these next few days. For now, I'll go ahead and make a list of the materials needed for this conversion (to the best of my recollection, some of these may be incorrect/change in the future).

Things needed for Arnan MkIV Leman Russ:

1 Imperial Guard Demolisher kit
1 1994 Imperial Guard Tank Accessory sprue, Frame A
2 Leman Russ side hatches
1 Leman Russ targeting box that attaches to the side of the turret, unassembled
2 Chimera small rectangular hatches
1 Tank communications array from the newer tank accessory sprue
1 Imperial Aquila tank badge
1mm thick plasticard sheet
3mm thick plasticard sheet
1/4" diameter plastic tubing
5/16" diameter plastic tubing
1mm diameter plastic rod
Plastic-coated wire or guitar string for aerials
1 stick of balsa wood, 1/4" x 1/4" x 12+".
3x5 index cards or paper, for templates
2 Oil drums, your choice.
Assorted stowage, including but not limited to: shovels, handles, crates, jerry cans, and tow cables.

Cutting saw
Exacto blade
Ruler
Scissors
Pin vice w/ assorted diameter drill bits
1/8" diameter hole punch
Super glue
Plastic cement
Clamps (or rubber bands) for holding the hull together while gluing

I believe that is everything I have used all rolled up into one list. I'll be sure to amend it if needed.

Now for the fun part: Assembly.

Assemble the Demolisher tracks with the side hulls as shown in the instruction manual included in the kit.

Next up is the tank's commander. I've opted to use the Demolisher crewman's body with the medals/awards shaved off, a left arm w/ binoculars from the accessory sprue, and a Cadian Command Voxcaster arm, with the shoulder shaved down to create a sleeve instead. Coupled with a Pig Iron head, we have a suitable Tank Co. 2iC who appears to be listening in on his headset after surveying the battlefield. It's best to dry fit everything before gluing the model into place to ensure the pose works properly. Once happy with a pose, I first glue the body onto the turret. Next come the arms, then finally the head. I use plastic cement on the arms to allow some wiggle room for when the head gets super glued on, allowing for a natural pose that is then set aside to dry.

Assemble the turret as shown in the instruction manual once your crewman is dry (or once you think he will not be bumped out of position). I glue all of the lower parts of the gun mantle down on my turrets to ensure that none of my guns sag, but you can add strips of plasticard to the backs of them to allow the gun to pivot up and maintain a level height when left alone.

Assemble any gun variants you wish to use. I am only doing the Demolisher cannon for now, since I like the bigger gun look on these tanks when making my Battle Cannons. This means gluing the top and bottom parts of the Demolisher cannon together, and making sure the seams look good. Then I glue on the front of the gun.

Next, I cut a 3" length of 1/4" plastic tubing and a 2cm length of 5/16" plastic tubing by rolling the tubes under an exacto blade very gently to score the plastic. Then, I pop the tubing off, and sand the cuts flat. These two pieces will serve as the tank's Battle Cannon when inserted into the end of the Demolisher cannon.

I attach the searchlight by drilling out a hole in the right side of the turret, then gluing the light in by the peg.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/BattleCannon1.jpg

Here's where we are so far. The rest of the tutorial will be posted throughout the week. I will have to bits order several pieces, but hopefully the basic shape will be completed before those items are needed. The main structure is mostly plasticard, and I'll be able to manage without them for a while.

~iPaint

iPaint
21-01-2010, 06:27
Next few steps in the Arnan Russ tutorial.

Cut the inside "guide line" plastic strips on the inside of both tracks and file them down. Do not worry about the rivets unless you like them.

Assemble the bottom hull to the two side tracks and let dry. I used the upper hull as a guide to ensure the whole assembly is squared properly.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_4.jpg

Take the upper hull and cut along the line shown below.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_2.jpg

Then, cut the hull section in half to achieve the following two pieces. Be sure your cut is as straight as possible. You'll notice that my gun mounting piece is slightly off.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_3.jpg

Ideally, you want there to be a flush cut that will allow the front armor piece of the gun mounting to line up nicely on the left side so that gluing it down will be easy and hassle-free. I'm going to have to greenstuff the eventual gap I made by botching my cut. Learn from my mistake. :)

cont...

iPaint
21-01-2010, 06:28
Next, cut a 5.1cm x 2.2cm rectangle of plasticard and glue it down at the front of the hull at an angle that leaves a 1.5cm length from the end to the top of the side hull as shown.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_5.jpg

Next, we will assemble the hull gun mounting. Be extra careful at this stage, especially since the to front armor piece is (unnecessarily) thin and easy to bend or break. I happened to have both happen while assembling it, but no worries, nothing some paint/greenstuff/camo netting can't hide later on. I left the inside swivel joint unglued to allow the gun to swivel left and right.

Now, assemble the driver's hatch.

Next, we want to glue the hull gun mounting onto the plasticard rectangle we just glued down. Be sure that the whole piece remains vertical, so that your gun will be parallel to the ground once finished. The piece will be 2.1cm away from the end of the rectangular plasticard piece.

Glue the driver's hatch slightly forward of the gun mounting, using the top of the driver's viewport as a parallel-to-ground guide. This piece will be 1.4cm away from the end of the plasticard rectangle.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_6.jpg

More to come soon.

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2010, 09:39
Ooh, I like the look of this. It's going in my folder of 'Interesting Leman Russ Conversions' along with the expanded sloped, angular turret seen elsewhere on Warseer.

sheep
21-01-2010, 10:38
Good start to your tut, look forward to more of it.

Cheers

Sheep

iPaint
21-01-2010, 22:36
Work continues on the Arnan Russ.

Grab a stick of 1/4" x 1/4" balsa wood and cut 4 pieces, 2 with a length of 5.1cm, 2 with a length of 4.9cm. Take the 2 5.1cm lengths and glue one slightly behind the gun mounting and the other just before where the "guide lines" on the hull slope downwards to the rear of the tank.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_7.jpg

Next, grab a 3x5 index card (or a sheet of paper) and lay it on top of the balsa we just glued. The dimensions will vary depending on where exactly you place the driver's hatch and gun mounting, so here's where a bit of trial and error comes in. What we want to do is create a paper template that we can then transfer over to plasticard for our final cuts. The rough outline of the template will be a large rectangle with a small trapezoid in one corner, as seen in the picture below.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_8.jpg

When cutting your template, be sure the length of the rectangle is enough that it sticks out past the point where the tracks begin to slope down towards the rear of the tank by a good centimeter or two.

Next, take a strip of 3x5 card and cut it down to fit in between the sides of the gun mounting and the driver's hatch. I tend to start with a long length of card, then use some scissors and my eye to cut a correct angle that fits all the slopes. Don't worry if it isn't an exact fit, just try and get it to the point where there aren't any major gaps. You can always come back later with greenstuff to fill in any irregularities.

Finally, cut a small strip of plasticard to fit underneath the top piece of plasticard and the driver's hatch.

Now, take the upper part of the hull and set it on its side on top of your plasticard sheet. Try and pick a corner or some place where you can take a good chunk of card out. Trace from the inside of the hull onto the plasticard, making sure to not move the hull in the process. Now, make a line down from the center of the turret ring hole and square this line off with the bottom end of the hull.

Repeat this step again and cut out the two pieces. These will form a support for the rear part of the tank and help enclose the engine compartment for later plasticard work. Here's what those cuts look like outlined in purple.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_10.jpg

To glue these two pieces down and maintain a strong support, we need to glue our two pieces of 4.9cm length balsa down with a 1cm spacing on each end, to allow our plasticard to rest against it.

Next, we need to trim more of the "guide lines" to allow for a proper fit when we glue our upper hull down. This means cutting and filing away the linear plastic at the rear end of the side tracks and the top parts of the wheel guide lines as pictured below:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_9.jpg

cont...

iPaint
21-01-2010, 22:37
Once everything is dry enough to handle without dislodging our plasticard, we can glue the top hull onto the rest of our tank. I dry fit the connection with a piece of tape, then marked with a pencil where the front of the hull would line up so that the upper hull is on straight with the bottom.

The measurements I used were 3.0cm from the front part of the driver's hatch and 2.0cm from the front of the plasticard piece that sits flush against the gun mounting, as seen below. Be sure you get a good connection with your glue, and make sure the upper part sits parallel to the ground, otherwise your turret will be pointing upwards when we are finished.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_11.jpg

And here's a comparison shot with the completed model. Starting to come together nicely, eh?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/RussComparison1.jpg

~iPaint

sheep
21-01-2010, 23:08
Yes it is, amaing design, I might have to steal if i ever do anymore russes.

Cheers

Sheep

iPaint
21-01-2010, 23:10
By all means feel free, I'd like nothing better than to see it next to those Mortians you have. I have actually been kicking myself for not looking at building this version using Land Raider tracks instead of the rather thin Russ tracks.

~iPaint

pluch87
22-01-2010, 03:43
Your armour conversions are amazing!!! And your paint scheme looks fantastic. If I only I had your skills (and $ for armour and a spray gun :P)

Keep up the great work. Hopefully one day I'll use this as a guide to make my own armour conversions.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 03:45
This is really nice. More step-by-step please!

iPaint
22-01-2010, 04:21
Your armour conversions are amazing!!! And your paint scheme looks fantastic. If I only I had your skills (and $ for armour and a spray gun :P)

Keep up the great work. Hopefully one day I'll use this as a guide to make my own armour conversions.

Thanks. I am actually just using spray paint out of an aerosol can. You can find a lot of colors for tanks either at your local hardware store or at a model store. I have had a fun time painting the tanks, and really the paint scheme on them is all in the oil paints.

This is really nice. More step-by-step please!

I'll have a bit more shortly.

~iPaint

iPaint
22-01-2010, 04:52
Next up, we are going to add the front armor piece and some supports for the sides of the tracks. Grab your hole punch and punch out 8 circles from your 1mm plasticard. I use scrap pieces that are too oddly shaped to be useful for anything else. Next cut out a 5mm x 5.1cm strip of plasticard.

We are going to glue 4 circles of plasticard onto the lower Demolisher hull, evenly spaced out. Once in position, glue the plasticard strip over these 4 circles. Finally, we will use the last 4 circles and glue them down "on top" of the underlying circles, giving the impression that there are cylinders holding this armor plate away from the hull. Using plastic cement really helps here, as it lets you move the top circles around so they're aligned with the corresponding circles behind the plastic strip.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_12.jpg

Next up we want to cut 3 small triangles to act as reinforcements for the side tracks. These can be as big or as small as you'd like. Just make sure all three of them are nearly the same size. I glue two of them on the left and one on the right, making sure that the ones closer to us in the above picture line up with one another across the hull.

Next will be an extension of our upper hull. We will be using that 3mm plasticard now, as we want a thicker armor to cover our upper tracks. I cut 2 1.4cm x 6" strips off of the sheet I had (6" was the shorter side of the sheet). I'll be describing how to cut these pieces referencing the picture below, which is the end result.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_13.jpg

For the bottom piece, I lined up one end of the strip so that it was flush with the side of top armor piece of the gun mounting. I then followed that line across the strip and made the cut. This creates a (somewhat) seamless transition from grey plastic to plasticard.

For the top piece, the same was done, except I just cut what I guessed was an angle that matched my previous tank. This cut can be at any angle really, just as long as both sides end up looking good together. You wouldn't want to, for instance, cut and incredibly acute angle, or leave the side piece completely flat, as that makes for an ugly tank, and we are building beautiful tanks only.

Both sides are then cut just behind where the Demolisher upper hull piece begins to slop down.

The green lines mark where the last bit of plasticard work will be for the upper hull, then we will move on to the back of the engine block (the part that had me banging my head against a wall the first time I made this tank).

Lastly, I assembled the hatch from the 1994 accessory frame, cutting off and sanding down the part that is meant to hold the storm bolter. The underside was also trimmed and sanded down for a smooth fit.

Here's where we are so far.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_14.jpg

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 05:00
It's a very impressive conversion - did you deliberately set out to make it look similar to the Macharius?

iPaint
22-01-2010, 05:39
Yes, actually, the design is very much inspired by the FW Macharius model.

On a side note, I have been looking at my earlier WIP shots for this tutorial, and got to thinking how a scaled-up Centaur might work from the Leman Russ kit following a similar modification of the hull....hmmm....

EDIT: I dub thee, Sturmgard Assault Carrier.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Centaur_mockup1.jpg

Also, I purchased a few items off of eBay to help finish up the 2 Chimeras I have lying around. One is missing the side tracks, the other a turret and lasguns. I'm pretty sure I'll be building another "Bungaroo" command Chimera with the unassembled kit I have, since I've been tinkering with an army list involving 2 CCS's tooling around with plasma guns.

I'll have to see how well my stripped/cleaned/refitted Hellhound-turned-Chimera will work out. Taking those metal tanks off the back did a number on the lasgun ports, but I may get creative with some camo netting.

~iPaint

donuter
22-01-2010, 20:25
Again man, really sweet. I cna't help but feel crap though when i see your awesome stuff and look at my stuff. you basically created what i set out to make.
darn it
Cheers for the tutorial, very very useful

iPaint
22-01-2010, 21:24
Next up we want to cut out our side skirts that cover the rear part of the tank's sides. Below are the measurements of the template I used from 3x5 card. Cut out 2 pieces of plasticard once you have your template finalized.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_15.jpg

Next, cut 2 pieces of balsa wood to a length of 1.5cm and glue them onto the plasticard on the inner part of the hull, as seen below. These will help support our side skirts we just cut out.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_16.jpg

Next, cut out a 3.5cm x 2.5cm rectangle from plasticard, then cut this in half diagonally. These will be the smaller triangular pieces that fit on top of our side skirts to give them some definition.

Shave off the top rivet on the back part of the side hull where the large wheel is (the red dot above). Take some super glue and glue the side skirts onto our hull. The point where our track guard ends is where you want the side skirt to begin sloping down in the back, which coincidentally matches the same slope as the Demolisher's engine block. Funny how things work like that?

Take your 2 Chimera rectangular hatches and trim the 3 cylindrical joints off them and file down the backs so they're smooth.

When the side skirts are dry, glue the 2 small triangles on using plastic cement, which will allow you to move them around to get a nice symmetrical look. Glue the 2 Chimera hatches on as well, using cement for the same reason.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_17.jpg

And here's an updated comparison pic. You'll notice I added a Winged Aquila badge to the front.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/RussComparison2.jpg

~iPaint

GomezAddams
22-01-2010, 21:28
Wonderful conversion, think Ill definately be adding one of those to my army but... gotta ask.. how do you cut plasticard at the right angle on such a complex piece?

iPaint
22-01-2010, 21:35
Wonderful conversion, think Ill definately be adding one of those to my army but... gotta ask.. how do you cut plasticard at the right angle on such a complex piece?

This is exactly why I am a major proponent of trial and error through the use of paper or index cards. I can cut, trim, and get any angles I want without having to use any of my plasticard. As difficult as it sounds, once you begin to acquire an eye for the angles, you begin to decrease how many cuts you have to make on your template before you have a match. Then it's as easy as tracing onto your plasticard and cutting away with a ruler and exacto blade.

~iPaint

Stempe
22-01-2010, 23:00
Really great looking conversion. It's good to see some different Leman Russes. ;)

iPaint
23-01-2010, 03:30
Next up, we are going to fill in the upper hull armor and close out the back end of the engine block. Here's where our template process comes in handy, since measurements will depend on how well you have glued everything down thus far.

Keep modifying your templates for both sides until you find the right fit.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_18.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_24.jpg

We want to fill as much of the gaps as possible. Don't worry about that little bit of overhang at the end, it will be covered by the oil drums later. I used super glue to secure the top plates, since this will be a part of the tank that is handled quite often, and it needs to be sturdy. Notice the gap in the bottom between the two plates? Perfect candidate for greenstuff gap filling later on.

Next, use another set of templates and fill in the back part of the engine block. It's your choice how far down to make them. I chose far enough to conceal most of the tracks and the balsa wood we used as supports for the side skirts.

Next up, grab that lovely dozer blade from the 1994 accessory frame and your exacto blade. Carefully, and I mean carefully, cut each section away from its neighbor until you have 4 pieces like those below. I found it easiest to start at the top with my blade and slowly pull down while rotating the dozer towards me. This ensured a straight cut. Clean up the sides once everything is separated. Hold onto those end caps, you never know when you may want to use them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_20.jpg

Next up, grab your oil drums. I am using an American drum and a German drum in 1/35th scale by Tamiya (I think, they're really old, at least 10 years, and I've long since discarded the boxes). The scale matters more than the actual drum type.

cont...

iPaint
23-01-2010, 03:31
Now we want to glue our dozer supports onto the back of the engine block and plasticard pieces. I eyeballed where the best fit would be, then used plastic cement to allow for some minor alterations once the two supports were down. I then placed the drum on top to see how the balance was. I found it best to elevate the rear end of the tank so gravity wouldn't mess up anything I'd glued down.

One...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_21.jpg

And two.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_22.jpg

Keep in mind the drums have not been glued down yet. We are going to wrap a strip of plasticard around them later to mimic a strap holding them in place.

And here's the WIP updated pic. Almost beginning to see a faint light in the distance.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_23.jpg

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
23-01-2010, 09:41
This is wonderful; I'll certainly make some of these to support one of my armies. :D

iPaint
24-01-2010, 03:31
Next up, assemble and get together your exhaust pipes, vent, and Leman Russ side hatches. Place the Leman Russ hatches on each side of the tank as seen below.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_25.jpg

Next up, glue the exhaust pipes and vent onto the back of the engine block. Notice the small rectangular piece on the left and the twin-tanks are hard to find pieces. Nonetheless, the former is on the 1994 accessory frame, and I believe the twin-tanks is from the Leman Russ kit, but I'm not positive. Anywho, assemble as shown.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_27.jpg

Next up, take 6 handles and glue them onto the side of the tank in an orderly fashion, 5 on the side and one on top. I also glued the smoke launchers onto the side of the turret, filing down one of the rivets for a smooth fit. The rounded rectangle is a spare Leman Russ hatch I cut the hinges off and flipped upside down, but you could easily use some plasticard instead.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_26.jpg

Next up we are going to seal up the bottom of the tank. Cut some plasticard to fit underneath the gap under our engine block. Don't worry if it's sort of off, it won't be seen that much and can always get a good douse of mud to cover any mistakes.

Next take the dozer blade support and glue it under the engine block.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_28.jpg

Glue down your oil drums. I opted not to go with the pasticard straps this time as I wanted to be done with the tank and have it ready to go.

Finally, add the "hatch" part of the Leman Russ targeter box to the bottom right corner of the rear of the tank, under the exhaust area, and the "top armor plate" of the same targeter box to the rear top armor panel on the back left side of the tank.

Last, rivets as you see fit. I chopped some thin 1mm plastic rod into small cylinders and used plastic cement to set them in place across the hull. Feel free to go to town with bits and accessories at this point. I'll have pics up later this week.

And there you have it, your very own Arna MkIV Leman Russ Command tank.

~iPaint

iPaint
26-01-2010, 04:10
TUTORIAL IS FINISHED!

Completed pictures below.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_31.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_29.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/ArnanRussWIP_30.jpg

However, I've been tampering with the idea of running a Mechanized Infantry Company at 2000pts. Here's where it's at. Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Updated the army list. Added an Astropath to one CCS and an Officer of the Fleet to the other. Now I have 15 points leftover...

HQ:

Company Command Squad
4x Plasmaguns
Astropath
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Company Command Squad
4x Plasmaguns
Officer of the Fleet
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Troops:

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns
Chimera w/ ML, hull HF

Fast Attack:

Banewolf w/ hull HF

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ MBT w/ hull HF

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ hull HF

Griffon w/ hull HF
Griffon w/ hull HF

Total: 1985pts
Tanks:15
Infantry: 82

Main attack plan is move the Vets, PCS's, Banewolf, and Demolisher forward to contest objectives while the Scout Sentinels use their scout move to push forward and disrupt the enemy's approach lanes or contest early objectives. Meanwhile, the CCS's will be on the prowl for MC's and MEQ's to drop some nasty plasma fire on or seize some objectives late game, and the 4 Infantry squads will provide cover and support for the 2 Griffons and the Leman Russ MBT in the backfield.

Sorta nasty if you ask me, facing down that many tanks and all those templates. Thoughts?

~iPaint

Max1mum
26-01-2010, 05:36
i got here because of the army list ;-) it's far to early atm to check that out in detail.

And it's to early as well to check out the rest of your thread in detail...

but..i am going to sub to this ;-) Thank you allready for all the hard work.

Gen.Steiner
26-01-2010, 07:54
OK, my initial reaction was:

"Where's the Command group?" :p

I know, 4x Plasma is lethally effective, but on a gut level it repels me - I need to take a Voxman, a Medical Officer, a Company Sergeant Major type, and maybe a special weapon.

However, I know 4x plasma/flamer works, so if it floats your boat, go for it.

HOWEVER!

You shouldn't give your Griffons Hull HFs. They won't use them. They need Heavy Bolters, really. Longer range fits what they do - sit back and shell stuff. You've got so many flamer 'plates that losing two in favour of some more S5 shooting is absolutely fine.

I would also suggest giving your second sentinel a ML like the first. You have probably got waaaaaaaaaaaay too many HF templates, but against horde armies you'll need 'em.

Give it a go, but if I were you I'd be magnetising those hull weapons... ;)

Lord Cook
26-01-2010, 15:31
Generally I like the list iPaint, but there are two issues, to me. Firstly you've got 26 Kill points in a 2,000 point army. This is a very serious problem. Generally speaking I try to keep any given army at one Kill point per 100 points, and then subtract one. So at 2,000 points I wouldn't want to go above 19.

Other than that, the Sentinels won't be doing a lot of good. Or any, in fact. Scout Sentinels really need to be in pairs, preferably with multilasers or autocannons. At this points level, you might want to include them in triples. Alternatively, make them into Armoured Sentinels and run them amongst your other vehicles as a defense against combat troops. Any unit that lacks a S6+ weapon will be completely useless against your Av12 walker, and stuck for the rest of the game.

You shouldn't give your Griffons Hull HFs. They won't use them.

I disagree with you rarely Steiner, but this is one of those times. Heavy bolters will never get used. Your Griffons are sitting out of LOS behind some buildings or hills. Even if you do get to use them once, those h.bolters won't do anything. They could get maybe three hits between them, which still need to wound and get past armour/cover saves.

I've used the heavy flamers on my Griffons for a long time, and I can promise you they are infinitely more useful. Inevitably you will eventually find your Griffons under attack from outflanking units. For example, Wolf Scouts, Kommandos, Genestealers, Al'Rahem's platoon, etc. All these units share two things in common. Firstly, they don't really give a toss about a few heavy bolters. Secondly, they will all be burned alive by heavy flamers.

Gen.Steiner
26-01-2010, 16:23
I disagree with you rarely Steiner, but this is one of those times.

Actually, I agree with you. After posting and on reflection I realised that, actually, heavy flamers are much better as a point-defence weapon than heavy bolters.

So, really, I disagree with myself. Naha!

*ahem*

Otherwise, yes, I bow to Lord Cook, my experience with Guard in 5th Ed is limited to one game in which I massacred both my opponents with few casualties; hardly representative especially as frankly neither knew what they were doing.

iPaint
26-01-2010, 20:47
Generally I like the list iPaint, but there are two issues, to me. Firstly you've got 26 Kill points in a 2,000 point army. This is a very serious problem. Generally speaking I try to keep any given army at one Kill point per 100 points, and then subtract one. So at 2,000 points I wouldn't want to go above 19.

The group I play with doesn't play KP, and I'm not into Tourneys yet, so as of now it isn't a huge concern. Maybe in 6th edition GW will revamp the way KPs and VPs factor into army comp.

Other than that, the Sentinels won't be doing a lot of good. Or any, in fact. Scout Sentinels really need to be in pairs, preferably with multilasers or autocannons. At this points level, you might want to include them in triples. Alternatively, make them into Armoured Sentinels and run them amongst your other vehicles as a defense against combat troops. Any unit that lacks a S6+ weapon will be completely useless against your Av12 walker, and stuck for the rest of the game.

I had 75 points left over and felt maybe some harassment sentinels would work. 3rd Griffon maybe? HWTor SWT?

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
27-01-2010, 04:28
I had 75 points left over and felt maybe some harassment sentinels would work. 3rd Griffon maybe? HWTor SWT?

~iPaint

3rd Griffon. Definitely.

iPaint
27-01-2010, 07:23
3rd Griffon. Definitely.

The problem I see with a 3rd Griffon is effectively concealing the squadron. It also would mean having to drop the OotF and Astropath I just added :(.

On a modeling note, I took an old looted Leman Russ I had torn apart (see it in the beginning of the log as a mock-up of the Arnan Russ) and started to clean it up and use it as a test model for the Sturmgard Assault Carrier. So far it has received a plasticard side skirt-thingy similar to the Centaur and Chimera chassis. I will have pics eventually once I finish the other side. I'll need to figure out how best to represent the side-exhaust pipes/vents, since I want the back to be fully open to allow for easy passenger access.

I'm also figuring out how best to model crew members/drivers, and I'm thinking the Sentinel pilot may be the answer.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/sturmgard_concept1.jpg

~iPaint

iPaint
29-01-2010, 05:13
So, I dropped by the LFGS here, and noticed they hadn't painted their Hellhound and Executioner tanks yet. So, I was able to take both tanks home, and they will be painted up nice and purty for the store's (quite excellent) display cabinet. I'm excited that my work can be displayed, since there's a lot of stunning paint jobs already there at the store.

If only it wasn't 20 degrees outside, I might just spray them right now.

On another note, my bits came, and I'm slowly working on assembling 2 more Chimeras. I'll need to get an extra hatch for the Mobile Command Vehicle (aka Bungaroo) conversion, but construction is underway nonetheless.

~iPaint

iPaint
30-01-2010, 07:39
Well, since I'm in the process of painting some armor, I figured it's time for an updated shot of everything so far.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_2087.jpg

1 Baneblade
2 Arna MkIV Leman Russes
3 MkVIII Leman Russes
2 Chimera MCVs
5 Chimera APCs
1 Banewolf

I need to get a commander's hatch for the last Chimera.

~iPaint

Mega Nutz
30-01-2010, 08:32
Fantastic looking armoured division!

MrP
30-01-2010, 09:18
Lovely work, old boy!

Hammer49
30-01-2010, 12:26
Your tanks look fantastic and really like the converting you have done.

I-Paint!
30-01-2010, 12:50
Wow. That looks really impressive and I really like your Leman Russ variant. Nicely done. It looks a bit like mine, but with Leman RUss sides. Hope to see more soon. :)

Greeting
I-Paint!

Gen.Steiner
01-02-2010, 11:22
Cracking tanks, iPaint.

Only seven AIFVs, though? That's barely enough for two platoons! :p

iPaint
01-02-2010, 17:19
Cracking tanks, iPaint.

Only seven AIFVs, though? That's barely enough for two platoons! :p

Haha, well, the new Chimera kit is coming soon, so there may be more tanks coming. However, by the sound of it, the may have different turret styles now, which sort of concerns me.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
01-02-2010, 17:22
Different turret, meh, so what? You've already got two different chassis types in there. ;)

Rhaivaen
01-02-2010, 17:22
I'm also figuring out how best to model crew members/drivers, and I'm thinking the Sentinel pilot may be the answer.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/sturmgard_concept1.jpg

~iPaint

I love this idea, consider it snatched, although I might simply use them as chimera's

iPaint
06-02-2010, 04:51
Small update. I went down to the FLGS last night and was able to slap some paint on several tanks over the course of several hours. It was a good change of pace from painting by myself. Always great to see what everyone else is up to.

Since I moved recently, updates may be fewer than usual, and pictures will be on hold for a while. Eventually I'll get my paint area set up again and be back to the normal updates.

~iPaint

donuter
06-02-2010, 20:23
Having seen your cool leman russ mods how difficult and time consuming would you say it is. I plan to make two but am unsure as whether it will be too difficult.

cheers

iPaint
06-02-2010, 20:58
Having seen your cool leman russ mods how difficult and time consuming would you say it is. I plan to make two but am unsure as whether it will be too difficult.

cheers

I'd say, if you were to go start to finish, it may take you about 12 hours if you do em both at the same time, since you will be making more cuts closer together which will ensure consistency, plus while one dries you can work on the other. Most of the work is in the details once the main body is assembled, such as rivets and baggage, etc.

I usually work in 1-2 hour stints, so each update on the tutorial represents maybe 30-45 minutes of actual work, and 15+ minutes of looking over the previous tank to match them up.

As far as difficulty goes, this was my second endeavor into plasticard work. I can let you know that it's wise to invest in a cork-backed ruler to prevent slipping while cutting with your blade. Also, always measure and double measure before you make a cut.

Good luck, you'll have to post some pics once you get started.

~iPaint

PS: I went over to your log, and I have to say, that Commissar with the gas mask really makes me want to take my extra Kolony radio operator heads and try some face grafting. Love that look.

iPaint
08-02-2010, 21:15
Well, GW posted up the advanced orders for the recut Chimera and Basilisk. I have to say, the Basilisk could have been much better with a Vanaheim-esque gun shield instead of the current one. Also, no new crew figures... /sigh.

The Chimera I'm not sold on. I am still going to use the older ones. I prefer the older turret, since this new one is much too blocky, and there is only 1 viewport for the cupola.

Plus, again, the lack of the accessory sprue is really disheartening.

~iPaint

borginator
09-02-2010, 00:01
Initially I was thinking those Pig Iron heads would only look good for Steel Legion figures and long coats, but this log has changed my mind. I've decided to retrofit my IG with those heads. I really love the color scheme of your guardsmen. :)

I agree with you on the Chimera/Basilisk. Like a lot of other people have said, I was expecting the Basilisk to be a multi variant kit like the demolisher or the hellhound. I was really hoping for a Colossus or a Griffon model.

The only bright side about the new Chimera is the tank commander's hands, he has a gun on his left hand, which is hard to find.

donuter
09-02-2010, 00:03
i would agree with you there. That said, i was really after the book tbh. Maybe it will bear better fruit than these rather distastful items

Gen.Steiner
09-02-2010, 10:17
I think the Chimera will work with the Predator turret or by turning the turret into a remote weapons station.

Which makes it a touch too high-tech for a lot of people's idea of the Guard, and certainly wrong for my Darendaran Mechanised. Getting hold of the older model will be hard, though, and their price on eBay is bound to go up now. :(

iPaint
10-02-2010, 02:39
Well, I put in an order for 5 older Chimeras before they go the way of the dinosaur. This will give me enough for 4 Veteran Chimeras, 2 CCS Chimera MCVs, 2 PCS Chimeras (unsure if I want to Bungaroo these...), and 4 Infantry Chimeras, enough for any army build I can possibly imagine.

~iPaint

iPaint
10-02-2010, 09:09
Here's an updated TOE for the Arnan 317th Mechanized Infantry Regiment. I've established a ranking system as follows, starting with the lowly grunt and working up through the regiment's ranks. Off to the right of the ranks are the typical positions a rank qualifies for within the regiment. A quick side note: this is the army list I would like to be able to work from within the next few months. I'll need to get some savings set aside for the Forge World Griffons, which are beautiful but pricey. Or wait and see when GW releases a plastic kit.

Enlisted
Guardsman/Private
Guardsman/Private First Class
Specialist
Corporal (Squad Leader)
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Master Sergeant (Squadron Leader)
First Sergeant
Sergeant Major

Officers
Leutnant (Platoon Leader)
Leutnant Major
Captain (Company Leader)
Captain Commandant
Commander (Regimental, Ground Forces)
Knight-Commander
Major (Regimental, Administrative)
Lord Major

Without further ado, here is the 317th "Death's Own" MIR Table of Organization and Equipment for the Tar'vyn Rift Campaign in the Segmentum Tempestus.

Headquarters Platoon, 2nd Co., Arnan 317th Mechanized Infantry Regiment

Company Command Squad
Captain Commandant Elias Mauer - Company Commander
4 Veterans
-4 Plasma Guns
Commander Second Order Cyril Dezor, Officer of the Fleet, Attached
:: Chimera MCV 01
Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer

Company Command Squad
Captain Hagan Roth - Company 2iC
4 Veterans
-4 Plasma Guns
Artaeus - Astropath, Attached
:: Chimera MCV 02

1st Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Co., Arnan 317th MIR

Platoon Command Squad
Leutnant Victus Reinard
4 Guardsmen
-4 Flamers
:: Chimera APC 210

Armored Fist Infantry Squad
First Sergeant Desmund Kern
9 Guardsmen
-1 Autocannon Weapons Team
-1 Grenade Launcher
:: Chimera APC 211

Sergeant Hanz Gotreb
9 Guardsmen
-1 Grenade Launcher
:: Chimera APC 212

2nd Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Co., Arnan 317th MIR

Platoon Command Squad
Leutnant Adrien Sturm
4 Guardsmen
-4 Flamers
:: Chimera APC 220

Sergeant Ors Heinzen
9 Guardsmen
-1 Grenade Launcher
:: Chimera APC 221

Master Sergeant Effron Holtz
9 Guardsmen
-1 Grenade Launcher
:: Chimera APC 222

Elements of I Assault Korps, Arnan 317th MIR, Attached

Veteran Squad
Sergeant Major Heinrich Stoll
9 Veterans
-3 Meltaguns
:: Chimera APC 030

Veteran Squad
Leutnant Karl Vogel
9 Veterans
-3 Meltaguns
:: Chimera APC 031

Veteran Squad
Sergeant Major Ander Karstein
-3 Meltaguns
:: Chimera APC 032

Elements of 19th Assault Tank Co., Arnan 3rd Armored Regiment, Attached

1st Squadron
Master Sergeant Gabriel Venz
:: MkVI Hellhound Assault Tank 11
Heavy Flamer

Staff Sergeant Steffan Faust
:: MkII Bane Wolf Assault Tank 12
Heavy Flamer

Elements of 12th Armored Co., Arnan 3rd Armored Regiment, Attached

Company Command Squadron
Leutnant Major Turin Drechsler - Company Commander
:: MkIV Arna-Pattern Leman Russ Command Tank 01
Vanquisher Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Leutnant Kaspar Adler - Company 2iC
:: MKIV Arna-Pattern Leman Russ Command Tank 02
Battle Cannon, Lascannon

1st Squadron
Sergeant Major Frederik Holm
:: MkVIII Leman Russ Battle Tank 11
Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer

Sergeant Derrik Sulven
:: MkVIII Leman Russ Battle Tank 12

Master Sergeant Hanz Obermeyer
:: MkVIII Leman Russ Battle Tank 13

Elements of 265th Field Artillery Co., Arnan XI Mobile Artillery Korps

3rd Battery
Master Sergeant Karl Jericho
:: Vanaheim-Pattern Griffon Heavy Mortar Carrier 31
Heavy Flamer

Staff Sergeant Felix Kirsch
:: Vanaheim-Pattern Griffon Heavy Mortar Carrier 32
Heavy Flamer

Look for updated pics sometime this weekend. I have basecoated all of my infantry squads in grey, ready for some serious batch painting over hte next few weeks.

~iPaint

borginator
10-02-2010, 18:35
Wow, that's a pretty massive army you have.

I had a question as to which Pig Iron head sprues you used and why? I can see you mixed up the regular heads with the "NCO heads with helmets". Do you have any preference? Do any sprues look better or are easier to paint/ work with?

Rhaivaen
10-02-2010, 19:17

I had a question as to which Pig Iron head sprues you used and why? I can see you mixed up the regular heads with the "NCO heads with helmets". Do you have any preference? Do any sprues look better or are easier to paint/ work with?

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=13

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=20

Those are the sofar seen as most used.. they all come on the same metal "frame".. the sprue attachment of molten lead that keeps them all together...

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=19

those look nice also..
people mostly want the "germanic" looking ones, not the futuristic i guess, although i vaguely remember someone using the gasmasks for traitors or sevlar chemdogs (as to why the OP uses these specifically, he is best to answer that one himself)

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=15

iPaint
10-02-2010, 19:29
http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=13

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=20

Those are the sofar seen as most used.. they all come on the same metal "frame".. the sprue attachment of molten lead that keeps them all together...

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=19

those look nice also..
people mostly want the "germanic" looking ones, not the futuristic i guess, although i vaguely remember someone using the gasmasks for traitors or sevlar chemdogs (as to why the OP uses these specifically, he is best to answer that one himself)

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=15

Pretty much right on. I bought mine from a company called Rattlehead Games, I believe. They shipped quickly and it was an excellent purchase. Really makes the Cadian models seem more sinister.

I have been waiting patiently for WF to release their greatcoat models so that I can start a small Renegade Guard force using an assortment of heads from different companies.

The Kolony heads sprue is the bread and butter, but some of the heads are closer to the metal sprue than others, which makes clipping them off sometimes a bit of a challenge unless you have a pair of slim wire cutters. The NCO/helmet covered heads are a nice way to break up the monotony of the bare helmets. Finally, I used the command sprue heads for any of my tank commanders, platoon commanders, and my company commanders. The radio op's head is a bit, I don't know, peculiar? I will be using them as conversion bits for Commissars, so that they may have gas masks as well when I get around to buying them.

On a similar note, the winter set looks really cool, and I can see myself painting a squad down the line using the WF greatcoats combined with the winter heads.

Be sure to file off the mold lines and file down the back of their necks so that they don't have ostrich necks when you glue them down. Likewise, be sure to give them some form of neck, otherwise they look stumpy and the head looks unnatural on top of the torso.

~iPaint

borginator
10-02-2010, 20:00
Thanks for the tips. I was scouting out Rattlehead games earlier today and they seem to have the best deal out there for heads. I tried The Warstore but they seem a bit greedy and like to price gouge ($9 for a meltagun bit!).

Thanks for the advice again.

edit: one more thing that I forgot to ask, is it relatively simple to prep the head and attach it? Or is it a major time sink?

iPaint
10-02-2010, 21:50
Thanks for the tips. I was scouting out Rattlehead games earlier today and they seem to have the best deal out there for heads. I tried The Warstore but they seem a bit greedy and like to price gouge ($9 for a meltagun bit!).

Thanks for the advice again.

edit: one more thing that I forgot to ask, is it relatively simple to prep the head and attach it? Or is it a major time sink?

Yeah, check out GW online for their meltagun bits packs, they're like 5 to a pack, and pretty decently priced actually.

As far as prepping the heads, I would assemble all my plastic pieces first, then do like 10 heads at a time with the clippers and a few different types of files. A big, rough file to smooth out the neck cut, a smaller finer file to round the neck a bit, and finally a small, real fine file to smooth out the mold lines across the top of the helmet. I found having a curved "D" shaped file (flat on one side, convex on the other) really helped fit the curve of the sides of the helmets. Super glue was all I used to make a solid connection.

Be sure to wash up afterward, and keep a tissue or trash can underneath where you file to gather all the metal shavings.

~iPaint

iPaint
13-02-2010, 06:17
Update:

Finished up 2 Leman Russes and the Bane Wolf earlier this evening. I will have pics up some time this weekend.

~iPaint

iPaint
14-02-2010, 04:16
Picture time.

Slight change in lighting, but it works. Reds are really vibrant, and oranges actually look red. So, I may have to do some color tweaking on a different computer, or take some pics in better lighting. But all the rust is orange, not red.

I also need to add the mud effects.

Sergeant Major Frederik Holm
:: MkVIII Leman Russ Battle Tank 11

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/LRuss2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/LRuss3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/LRuss4.jpg

Sergeant Derrik Sulven
:: MkVIII Leman Russ Battle Tank 12

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/LRuss1.jpg

cont...

iPaint
14-02-2010, 04:18
Staff Sergeant Steffan Faust
:: MkII Bane Wolf Assault Tank 12

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Bane3-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Bane2-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Bane1-1.jpg

WIP infantry:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/wipinfantry.jpg

sheep
14-02-2010, 12:25
Nice work mate, really got production line you've got going here, and they all look brilliant, look forward to the infantry.

Cheers

Sheep

spyko672
14-02-2010, 16:48
Very fine army, I really love the color scheme of your vehicles!
Moreover, used by you?

Thank you.

iPaint
15-02-2010, 21:28
Thanks for the comments everyone. Infantry are slowly coming along, I have finished 12 of them and am currently decalling them. I don't have all of my basing material here, so I will have to get that later this week.

I am also debating whether to add a skull-aquila under the regiment number on all of my Vets to help distinguish their rank.

~iPaint

DaHedd
16-02-2010, 09:12
those are great. How did u do the red on the vision slits ?

Gen.Steiner
16-02-2010, 11:20
I am also debating whether to add a skull-aquila under the regiment number on all of my Vets to help distinguish their rank.

Why not? Makes sense, fits with the name of the Regiment (Death's Own) and would look pretty cool.

jnsann02
16-02-2010, 16:43
Really like the colors and camo on your vehicles, excellent work.

iPaint
17-02-2010, 07:44
those are great. How did u do the red on the vision slits ?

Thanks, here's a quick run down of what I use.

Basecoat black.
2/3 of the vision port with Americana Napa Red.
Work Ral Partha Red into the Napa Red and highlight, working down into the corner.
Add Apple Barrel Yellow into this mix until you get a nice orange, and paint the bottom 1/4 of the corner.
Finally, a small dot/sliver of pure AB Yellow in the bottom of the view port.
Last, a highlight in the opposite corner using pure white.

Here's a step by step showing the method:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Viewports.jpg

Why not? Makes sense, fits with the name of the Regiment (Death's Own) and would look pretty cool.

I need to do some testing and see if they'll fit. I may do the next batch of 20 Vets with the wings under the number, then mix them all in.

I am also wanting to do a diamond on the back of their helmets with a roman numeral I to represent the I Assault Korps, similar to what the US Rangers did during WWII. That way I can add a I to the diamonds on their Chimeras as well.

Have to see if the diamonds on the IG decal sheet are small enough.

Look for pics of infantry tomorrow, as I have finished 18 lasgunners and 1 flamer.

~iPaint

iPaint
18-02-2010, 01:39
Here's a shot of the infantry I've finished this week.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Infantry2.jpg

~iPaint

sheep
18-02-2010, 06:15
Very productive week mate :) They look great.

Cheers

Sheep

spyko672
18-02-2010, 09:50
I want to paint at the same speed!
Made such good little soldiers.

iPaint
18-02-2010, 19:52
Wish me luck...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC00211.jpg

~iPaint

systmdownxer
18-02-2010, 20:16
I just got a box with almost the same exact content for my guard army!
4 old style chimeras and a Hellhound
Good luck to you sir!

Rinak
18-02-2010, 20:55
You require additional Pylons Chimera's!

Rhaivaen
18-02-2010, 21:28
I cannot understand what people like about most 40K GW vehicles... they are so unrealistically built (Size and inner-space wise), its amazing.. I personally don't care much for them.. I have 3 rhino's I bought of Ebay, and still have no idea what to do with them (they were already constructed)... let alone these Chimera's :shifty: (but by all means, have fun with them if they are up to your alley) :p

Predatorpt
19-02-2010, 00:12
iPaint, since you've mentioned the Wargames Factory greatcoats...have you seen this sneek peek?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndC8nD6ymAw

iPaint
19-02-2010, 00:36
iPaint, since you've mentioned the Wargames Factory greatcoats...have you seen this sneek peek?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndC8nD6ymAw

I cannot even begin to tell how much more of a day that has made for me, what with this being (essentially) my weekend from classes, my Chimeras arriving, painting night at the local store, AND WF greatcoat updates galore. Awesome awesome awesome. Can't thank you enough. I was already thinking of Renegade Guard the minute he had that model painted, and it was almost exactly the color green I was thinking of using.

I may also be adding those triangle to my helmets, as for a long time I had been wanting to do some sort of designation on the side, but couldn't think of something to use.

On a hobby-related note, I assembled 1 of the 5 Chimeras that arrived today, and I will be taking the remaining 4 to assemble tonight, as well as my completed infantry to base. Look for pics later this weekend.

~iPaint

borginator
19-02-2010, 00:55
I always found that building vehicles were a lot more fun than troops, guess it must be my fat fingers.

Planning anything special for the Chimeras or just standard pattern?
You could magnetize the hull weapon, its pretty fast and simple.

Good luck anyhow

BigJon
19-02-2010, 02:58
That Hellhound is fantastic. I just love your weathering.

BigJon

steevn
19-02-2010, 11:03
That Hellhound is fantastic. I just love your weathering.

BigJon

@ipaint: would you explain me how you do the weathering ?
i allways manage to paint up a good tank like factory fresh but never manage to get the weathering right

iPaint
19-02-2010, 17:48
@ipaint: would you explain me how you do the weathering ?
i allways manage to paint up a good tank like factory fresh but never manage to get the weathering right

There is a link to to my weathering tutorial in the first post, hopefully that should get you well on your way to dirtying up those factory-fresh paint jobs.

I always found that building vehicles were a lot more fun than troops, guess it must be my fat fingers.

Planning anything special for the Chimeras or just standard pattern?
You could magnetize the hull weapon, its pretty fast and simple.

Good luck anyhow

I have 2 Chimeras left to assemble, and as cool as the Bungaroo MCV is, I just can't bring myself to convert two more of them. Since these Chimeras are going to be platoon Chimeras, I figure just leaving them as-is out of the box is fine.

As for the hull weapon magnetization, I don't think I will ever run heavy bolters on the hull, as 3 BS3 shots a turn just isn't that appealing when compared to dropping flamer templates that auto-hit and quite often times guarantee more than 1 wound. If I change my mind, I'll be sure to post here with how I go about magnetizing them.

I will, however, have to figure out away to magnetize both weapons for my Helhound variants, so there may be something later about that.

2 Chimeras to go.

~iPaint

iPaint
20-02-2010, 06:44
So, all 5 Chimeras assembled within 36 hours of receiving them. And as a reward for my hard work, I thought I'd lay everything out.

Behold, elements of the Arnan 317th Mechanized Infantry Regiment assembled!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/Army1.jpg

A - 1st Squadron, 12th Armored Co.
B - Command Squadron, 12th Armored Co.
C - Headquarters Platoon, 2nd Co.
D - 2nd Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Co.
E - 1st Armored Fist Platoon, 2nd Co.
F - I Assault Korps
G - 1st Squadron, 19th Assault Tank Co.
H - 2nd Squadron, 77th Super-Heavy Tank Co.

I was able to get the infantry 50% based last night, and the Chimeras were fun to assemble after I figured out a quick assembly-line method. I opted to use standard infantry heads for the tank commanders, with the idea that the Chimera crews are not as a high a rank as the rest of the regiment.

Now the weather just needs to improve so I can get to spraying those Chimeras.

~iPaint

Redscare
20-02-2010, 08:21
How long does it take you to prepare and build those modified Leman Russ tanks iPaint? I've seen your instructions on making them and they look fantastic, but they also seem equally hard and time consuming to build...

I'm not a shabby painter, but the undertaking looks daunting for someone (like me) with no conversation skills whatsoever.

iPaint
20-02-2010, 08:27
How long does it take you to prepare and build those modified Leman Russ tanks iPaint? I've seen your instructions on making them and they look fantastic, but they also seem equally hard and time consuming to build...

I'm not a shabby painter, but the undertaking looks daunting for someone (like me) with no conversation skills whatsoever.

I'd say, as far as conversion skills needed, all you need is some patience, a steady hand with a sharp blade and cork-backed ruler, and some templates and you would be golden. Follow my tutorial (which will be finished here as soon as my bits arrive in the mail) and it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm aching to see what others can do with it. I'm no Tinners, that's for sure, and I wouldn't say I'm an excellent converter, but it's enough once you get some paint on it.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

~iPaint

iPaint
22-02-2010, 12:10
Early morning update for me. I picked up my last set of infantry to finish a 4th Vet squad with Meltas, a lone GL guardsmen for one of the infantry squads, and the bodies for the remaining 4 Vets with Plasma Guns. Now I just need to bits order the Plasma Guns.

Also, I picked up a Lord Commissar model and went to work on removing his head to replace with a Pig Iron one. I think the model looks much more sinister now, and I am tempted to try my hand at some green stuff to add a skull-motiff onto the gas mask. I also need to clean up where I removed a lot of the metal, and possibly add a high-collar to blend the head in. Overall, sexy model even if it never makes it onto the tabletop.

Finally, I picked up a pack of the Maxmini guardsmen backpacks, and I was very pleased with them. The majority of my Vets now have some form of pack/equipment on their backs, which is cool.

On a somewhat side note, I will be attempting to get my hands on the older Cadian Commander with power sword and optic eye, and the wounded Cadian that came in the old metal Command box. I will use the Commander as my Company CO, and the wounded quardsmen will be getting a headswap and placed at the base of my Ork Warboss's re-invisioned scenic base. Sort of an "Oh crap, I gotta hide" kinda deal.

EDIT: Forgot, all of the completed infantry have been based, and I have to say the army is starting to come together nicely.

~iPaint

Gen.Steiner
22-02-2010, 16:19
You treadhead, you! :p

If I did that with my Guard armies* there'd be way more infantry than anything else.

Apart from my Mechanised force and my Armoured Company, that is.

* once I get them all, that is... ;)

iPaint
23-02-2010, 06:21
So, I was able to finish up the Arna Leman Russ today, and get my Chimeras primed black. The Russ will be sprayed tomorrow, weather permitting, and I will begin the camo/decals/weathering of all 7 tanks in one go. I like the idea of not including the stowage on any of the tanks until they are near-finished, that way I can paint everything separate, and have the tanks tabletop ready without having to paint all the bits and pieces as well.

I'll go ahead and edit the tutorial to include the last few details I added.

~iPaint