PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids

dreameater
18-07-2009, 07:45
I have recently tried to get back into the hobby, but I'am finding it extremly hard to pick an army so far I have choose alot of armies ot start but then faded out of them, but the tyrnids have caught my eye so what the low down with this mence ot the galexy.

Mojaco
18-07-2009, 07:51
A great army with a ton of options, as long as you don't have to win tournament. In regular play most army-builds do fine.

Easily the best start is the battleforce box, giving you the basics of the army at around 500 pts. Add more gaunts and warriors or genestealers and fexes, depending on which direction you want to take them, and you'll have an army in no time.

hendybadger
18-07-2009, 08:20
The conversion and model possibilities are endless. Take a look at the gallery in my sig for some examples

The Custodian
18-07-2009, 09:32
NIds are a nice starter army, not to complex while still beeing a challenge to use in battle... As Mojaco said it is a good idea to get the battleforce... Unike some other amies the nid battle force is a great deal and can get you playing right away...

Vampiric16
18-07-2009, 09:47
With regards to your monstrous creatures, magnetize them. Or at the very least blue tac them. They have so many options glueing their weapons is a horrible waste.

WH40KAj
18-07-2009, 10:02
Having played them for 10yrs, I must say they are an army you can get to love. If you want Tyranids I'd wait, as i'm gonna stick my neck out and say they'll probably be a dex in the next 9months; thats intuition for anyone who asks.

There are a few things you should be aware, two list types are deeply unpopular- those two are the most competitve sadly... All MCs and genestealer themed lists. Below these there is a signifcant drop in power. That hasn't stopped me from winning consistently though and you have probably the most choice of any army.
The other thing to be aware is they don't play like any other army, when you take away synapse and TMCs, they suffer pretty badly. A lot is overpriced and some things have lost their effectiveness.

On the good side they are top-mid level power i still think, they can still totally chew armoured targets. You get awesome Hive Tryants and Carnifex to back up your stuff. You have the best cc troop choice in the game...genestealers. Gaunts are simple to use and come fairly cheaply (but not as good as an ork). You can close ungodly fast, you have some better anti-armour weapons; though they aren't all that effective and they are limited in range etc.
You can fire and assault really well, something most armies find annoying to.

Hope that helps,
WH40KAj