PDA

View Full Version : Selling armies

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
18-07-2009, 15:21
To my fellow players: have you ever sold an entire army? If so, why? Did you simply find yourself losing interest in said army, realize that collecting it was a mistake in the first place, or find yourself wanting another, different army even more?

Also, out of curiosity, would any of you ever sell your very first army?

Deuce Blue
18-07-2009, 15:31
I sold my first sizable army, it was about 1k points of Steel Legion, and 1k points worth of SOB. I kinda regret selling it back in 2003, cause I could have prob gotten more for it nowadays. I sold mine out of lack of interest, and to help fund a CSM army.

snottlebocket
18-07-2009, 15:37
I spend years collecting a nearly full metal 4000 points, entirely oop chaos dwarf big hat army. Years of searching, bargaining, trading and buying those old models whereever I could find them. I pretty much managed to collect game sized units of every type in the list.

Then a banking error left me with no money right when it was time to pay for my tuition and I was left with the choice between making a bundle of money very fast or missing a crucial semester. I ended up selling my chaos dwarfs quite cheaply because it's rare oop status meant it would sell fast. I got 300 dollars for the whole lot.

Gascogne
18-07-2009, 15:44
Does trading entire army count?
Traded my entire Sisters of Battle army (which was my first army) for Orks. :D

And no I haven't regretted it since I was so tired of having every bloody model in metal and I like to mod alot... :wtf:

Spider-pope
18-07-2009, 15:44
Unfortunately i've found myself in the position of having to sell off models. Thanks to Woolies going under, i'm out of work so to help pay the bills i have had to sell off my Chaos Dwarfs, Grey Knights and most of my LOTR stuff.

And to answer the second question, my Chaos Dwarfs were my first army. And i can tell you its not a pleasant experience.

starlight
18-07-2009, 15:57
I haven't yet, and hope I never have to.

Important
18-07-2009, 16:29
Sold off 2000p of eldar due to lack of interest. Also sold 1500p of orks when they had the old codex because I got bored of it. Kinda regreted it when both got new codices.

Oberon
18-07-2009, 16:32
Sold a 1500+ necron army, sold 2k GK army, sold 2k IG army,sold 1500 SM army, sold 1500 CSM army, sold 1500 necron army, and I now play SM and IG... Can't remember WHFB armies that I've sold/traded, but always either to fund the next army, or just because I didn't think having 4 armies for the same game was smart...

EVIL INC
18-07-2009, 17:04
My very first army (a sizable undead), I gave away because I just didnt have the heart to fix it up after a roomate destroyed it.
40k, My first army is my chaos. Would I sell it? Only if I got enough to replace it model for represented model or got a decent trade where I could do the same. Most of it is rtb01 and other oop stuff.

PiousVanDorn
18-07-2009, 17:12
Sold off so many it's crazy

Dwarves, High Elves, Beasts of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Bretonnians x2, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marines it goes on...

Usually it's space and money to fund a new project but recently sold a portion of my empire to help towards a holiday

Vepr
18-07-2009, 17:13
Sold my old warhammer undead army. Also sold my epic army. Never sold anything from 40k. I sold the undead army because I got bored with warhammer and I sold the epic army because the players in my area dried up so it was just sitting in a closet.

40k Boy
18-07-2009, 17:51
Last year i sold both a 3000 pt Chaos Army (Thousand Sons) and a 2000pt Black Templars Army. The Thousand sons one, i got rid of because i bought the new codex and they really were just more hassle than they were worth to play - really struggled with them. I got rid of the Templars because i thought they looked great, and really enjoyed building them, but found they were quite dull to play with. I didn't mind getting rid of either - i really enjoy building the models primarily, but i also really enjoy gaming too, so i'd had a go at building both armies, and then played with them til i got bored. Plus, beacause both of them were really mainly bought on ebay i didnt lose that much as well.

I like to have two playable armies minimum on the go, so i used the funds from both to buy a load of Cadian Battleforces off ebay, which formed the core of my guard army (Which is now my main army). That's now up to 5000pts+ and rising quickly :)

My first ever army was 'Imperial Army & Squats', back in Rogue trader, and i would never sell it if i had the choice, however, my brother didnt feel the same, and when i moved out to my own place thats exactly what he did!!

FunkyRatDemon
18-07-2009, 17:52
I've bought and sold armies

Sold:
2,000 pts of near pro-painted Necrons (silver with purple pads and red gauss) right when 4th came out for ~$600. Just didn't want the army anymore, never liked playing them much

Bought:
1,000 pts of 13th company (mostly chaos bits) for a small chaos force, mostly bought as an 'intro to Chaos' army, slowly got rid of all of it too (only a few models remain)

Creeping Dementia
18-07-2009, 18:05
Lets see, I sold my Tyranids off a couple months ago (roughly 1500pts) and used the money to buy about a third of my new Sisters army (Sisters are Expen$ive). I don't regret it, they were my first 40k army and I just lost interest, most of the army was painted very well too, which the buyer appreciated.

My Lizardmen are next on the chopping block, they were my first army ever, and they're full painted. I haven't played a game of Fantasy in about 18 months, ever since WHFB really started going down the tubes. I imagine I'll keep them though, at least untill I have the overwhelming urge to get another 40k army (maybe Dark Eldar if they ever come out). Who knows, I might magically regain an interest in Fantasy before that happens. I've basically decided to never have more than three armies at any one time, I just can't justify it.

I've never bought a whole (or partial) army from everyone else. It would be a pain to have to strip the paint off of all the models, and the army isn't mine if its not painted by me in the color scheme of my choosing.

Deus Mechanicus
18-07-2009, 18:08
Sold around 3000-4000 pts fully painted and based Darl Angels so i could focuse on Deathwing/Ravenwing part

badguyshaveallthefun
18-07-2009, 18:15
I had a Tau army once. My friend liked it a lot more than I did so I sold it to him. It was for a variety of reasons, the main one being that it wasn't painted and I didn't want ANOTHER army to have to paint so I got rid of it. The other reason being that I really like close combat, and frankly, Tau suck at close combat. I loved my big guns, but they just didn't do it for me.

Messiahnide
18-07-2009, 18:53
I sold most of my first dark eldar army about 2000 points worth for 200 but kept a converted archon, a converted Wych archon ( cant remember the proper term atm ), a heamonculus and two warrior squads incase i want to play them again. Sold it cos i was bored with it and might start dark eldar again if the new codex ever gets released.

the1stpip
18-07-2009, 20:34
I've sold loads in my time.

My first army, Ultramarines, I gave to my kid brother, My first chaos army I sold to a friend, my second chaos army I sold on ebay, my third chaos army (emperor's children) I am about to sell on ebay. I swapped my first Dark Eldar army with a friend for his eldar, and then sold them on to someone else.

My second marine army has been put into storage ready for my son in a few years. And thats not even starting on my fantasy stuff.

But there has been various reasons. Old paint job, giving up the hobby (before I re-started) and bored with the army are the main reasons.

LonelyPath
18-07-2009, 20:38
I've sold 8 or 9 SM armies, 1 eldar, 1 Squat and numberous fantasy armies, bloodbowl teams, necromunda gangs, etc over the years. Always for the same reason though, to make space, lol.

Angelwing
18-07-2009, 20:58
I've sold off BFG Imperial, Ork and Necron fleets and an Epic Ork army because a) there was absolutely no interest in playing the games from any players in my area and b) I was moving house so all excess unused stuff had to go.
I'm strongly considering selling off a few 40k and fantasy armies too. My first army was Skaven. I'm waiting for the new book, and if it fails to pique my interest in fantasy again I then the army may as well go. I've only played one game of fantasy in over a year.

Psycho_Laughs
18-07-2009, 21:15
i sold a 1700pts vostroyan army, a 1700pts word bearers army, a 1700pts tau army, and about 1000pts of witch hunters.
i recently sold 2000pts of dwarves.

i'm glad i decided to keep my cadians. they look good even though i doubt i'll ever play 40k again.

they take a couple honored shelve spaces in my miniature display cabinets.

Farmer
18-07-2009, 21:24
I sold my 4000 pt batch of new 4th ed Tyranids for a Dark eldar army ? how idiotic is that ?. New smexy nids for old outdated DE :eek:

Well first of all DE where my first army but i didn't get the play style of them and i couldn't seem to win or learn how to do well either so i got rid of them for nids and ironically went back to DE.

What inspired me to get them is when my fellow PowerGamer used them against me and totally wiped the flour with me,my first thoughts vsing DE was "ha crappy armour,low strength,fragile as hell" and i didn't know about all there uber rules like Agonisers and wych weapons,after the match i was stunned that someone could actually make DE effective,so it inspired me to get my own DE army and the PowerGamer also gave me advice and thats it really ;P.

I have never since regretted it since DE are a amazingly great army,even if the models seem old.