PDA

View Full Version : Silly thought on army organization

Charistoph
19-07-2009, 00:41
What if....

You could trade 2 Special slots to gain 1 more Rare unit?

You could trade 1 Rare slot to gain 2 more Special slots?

What changes to your army would you make if you could?

Would you approve of this change?

Duke Georgal
19-07-2009, 00:57
You mean that I could face an Empire army with four steam tanks!

No thank you!

dsw1
19-07-2009, 01:07

No thank you!

:D first thing that also popped to my mind too lol.

Peachtacular
19-07-2009, 02:18
I think that would have pretty disastrous implications.
It would encourage people to spam. Treemen, Stream Tanks, Giants, Hydras.....etc.

Trains_Get_Robbed
19-07-2009, 02:59
What? You mean people wouldn't be in favor of fighting 4 steam tanks? Lol :)

DarkTerror
19-07-2009, 04:31
Completely ruins the purpose

Stuffburger
19-07-2009, 04:37
As much as I would love to squeeze in another special choice or two with my O&G all I'm seeing is myself up against 16 dwarf bolt throwers and 30 thunderers.

GW couldn't find a better way to force reasonably balanced army choices, and neither has anyone else for that matter, so I guess strict slots will do well enough.

8 pump wagons could be great fun though...

Charistoph
19-07-2009, 05:03
Good points. The only control to that would be that you couldn't take more than that slot would normally allow, and the rules are often confusing enough elsewhere to cause enough problems that we don't really need it here.

I just hate it when I have a fluffy army concept and I can't field everything I want to field just because I run out of slots on one range, but don't want to field anything out of another.

Laughingmonk
19-07-2009, 05:23
:D first thing that also popped to my mind too lol.

Ye Olde Panzer Company

Better than 4 cheap war hydras or, worse yet, a million Flamers.

Vermin-thing
19-07-2009, 06:01
I'd love to trade my some what useless rare choices for more special choices. Six units of black orcs would be great. My black orc army needs more black orcs. :( I'm running 2 blocks of 25,and one 30 strong unit with Grimgor plus 2 BO bosses, and a BO BSB. My last special choice consists of a large unit of 4 squig herds.

Right now I'm just filling up my rares with some river trolls.

WhiteKnight
19-07-2009, 06:09
So I could ditch my 4 rare choices for my high elves and have 14 special choices in my 2500 point list!? YES!!!! MSU for the win!

Vermin-thing
19-07-2009, 06:18
ORRR you could trade 6 special choices so you could have 7 RBTs. :D :cheese:

venus_redscar
19-07-2009, 06:31
This would only work if you were required to have Rare and Special choices. The fact that both are optional mean some armies just completely ignore Rare Slots or Special Slots. And thus allowing them to spam the unit they do use.

Although, 6 Empire cannons came to mind before 4 Steam Tanks.

Condottiere
19-07-2009, 08:15
One size fits all army structure is outdated.

I've considered this slot swapping, and have to conclude it's open to abuse.

Griefbringer
19-07-2009, 08:38

Or one with 8 great cannons or mortars.

Or a lizardman army with even more stegadons that currently possible.

Condottiere
19-07-2009, 08:39
Are you allowed to take more Steamtanks in an Empire army than the number that currently are in existence?

mrtn
19-07-2009, 09:55
8 units of Khorne knights. :D

Nephilim of Sin
19-07-2009, 10:02
One size fits all army structure is outdated.

I've considered this slot swapping, and have to conclude it's open to abuse.

I would be happy just to swap out one rare to get one special, but then again, I play O&Gs, and we need more special slots. I would be happy if the next book we get was similar to the High Elves, but instead was 4 Core (required), 6 special, and 2 rare. Or even up the core more, since that would help establish a horde army. Anything to get more specials.

squeekenator
19-07-2009, 10:03
It didn't work in 40K, it wouldn't work in Fantasy. It is indeed a silly idea.

Boreas_NL
19-07-2009, 10:31
Now let's all pretend we never wanted to do that... We all (at least once) thought of this, right? Every army has too much cool special or rare choices to include them all. Maybe that's the point, you have to make a choice (unless you are a High Elf player, you can take em all!).

I would use it (abuse it, more likely!) and so would my friends... To think of the games that would give... My Dwarf army would sport 12 Bolt Throwers, or 4 Organ Guns! Or, maybe even better, 6 units of Iron Breakers... And they would be facing 12 Stegadons, 4 Hydras or 8 units of 15 Outriders...

As a house rule it would be cool to try it out though. Try it out and play a few friendly games, see how it works. Depending on the army you pick, you will winn big or you will get your cheesy behind kicked... Either way, it will mak for a quick game.

Leogun_91
19-07-2009, 10:39
Then I use a HE army with some few archers and 7 DoW cannons.....

16 chukkas could be usefull and not too expensive

4 giants would make a fairly special game but wouldn´t really be that good....

Oh......4 helstorms......INCOMING!!!!!

2 hellcannons of chaos in 1000pts......a quite fun chaos gunline

This has alot of abusive potential and I would prefer another fix to this......giving more armies unitchoices akin to HE (but suiting for their playstyle/fluff) would be good.

Condottiere
19-07-2009, 10:47
I would not wish to be responsible for frying the game designers delicate cranial circuit breakers due to overcreativity.

bob_the_small
19-07-2009, 11:11
That would mean a Dark Elf army with 4 hydras!!

Also, the choices are rare so you can only have 2 max of them.

-Grimgorironhide-
19-07-2009, 11:57
No, just No.
Imagine Daemons even more over Powered with 4x6 flamers or 2 units of flesh hounds and 3 units of flamers. "shudder"

cheers.

The Red Scourge
19-07-2009, 12:08
Or WoC with 4 shaggoths...

Oh wait, never mind :(

BigbyWolf
19-07-2009, 13:26
As OnG have a massive number of special choices when compared to other armies, I think I'd be interesting if you could combine special and rare, but not in the way that you can get 6 giants in one army...I was thinking more like this...

Keep the units currently designated special and rare as they are, but in, lets say a 2000 point game- Rare slots 0-2, special 0-6, but if you take 5 special you can only take 1 rare slot, take 6 specials and you get no rare slots.

Gazak Blacktoof
19-07-2009, 13:42
I just hate it when I have a fluffy army concept and I can't field everything I want to field just because I run out of slots on one range, but don't want to field anything out of another.

What sort of crazy theme requires more than 4 special slots or more than 2 rares?

I suspect its only truly mad ones like an army of giants or those that involve dogs of war, for example an empire army with pike and shot.

rtunian
19-07-2009, 15:53
What if.... *snip*?

what if instead, it was...
trade all special slots for 1 extra rare slot
trade all rare slots for 2 extra special slots

what if it scaled by points limit, so up to 2999 it was like the above, and at 3k+ it was "2 extra rares" or "4 extra specials" for all of the other ??

Tokamak
19-07-2009, 15:58
The only ones not affected by this are the stegadon armies.

Damocles8
19-07-2009, 19:22
How about this idea....

Treat the Specials and Rares Exactly like Lords and Heros

so at under 2000 you'd have

Max Number of Special/Rare units 4

Max Number of Special units 4

Max Number of Rare units 1

Condottiere
19-07-2009, 19:39
Do the Brets get one extra Special, which must be a Knight formation?

Duke Georgal
19-07-2009, 20:27
Are you allowed to take more Steamtanks in an Empire army than the number that currently are in existence?

Yes, if you are playing enough points. There is no "0-7" restriction on the Steam Tank entry in the army book. There is no rule in the BRB that would force you to adhere to published fluff.